Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tutsi and Hutu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tutsi and Hutu
    Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 12:51

Which do you think were more agressive and powerful? The Hutu or Tutsi?

I think the Hutu, because they were much larger in population, and in fire power.

How were the Hutu and Tutsi seperated? Since they were the same religion, and spoke the same language?

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 13:07
Originally posted by Jay.

Which do you think were more agressive and powerful? The Hutu or Tutsi?

I think the Hutu, because they were much larger in population, and in fire power.

How were the Hutu and Tutsi seperated? Since they were the same religion, and spoke the same language?

N what was/is their religion.N is that their own religion or imposed by others.

What I know is that the Guiness book of world record states one of these tribes has the highest average height in the world along with serbs/croats.N that women in Rwanda/Burundi have the highest birth rate.Average over 6 babies per woman {correct me if I am wrong}.

Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 08:39
Hutus (Bahutu) belong to the greater Bantu macro-ethnicity, that migrated from Central Africa (Cameroon?) more than 1,000 years ago, with the arrival of iron tech, colonizing both the Congo jungle and most of Eastern and Southern Africa. They are about 85% of Rwanda and Burundi peoples and they are basically peasants.

Tutsis (Batutsi) belong to the Nilotic macro-ethnicity that came from somewhere near Sudan originally. They are a lot taller than Hutus and they are basically cattle-herders. They are also spread in Uganda and Ethiopia among other Eastern African countries.

Before the arrival of Bantus and Nilotics, the region was inhabited by Pigmy Twa peoples, now just a tiny minority.

I'm unsure about what roles both ethnicities played in the precolonial states but a dominance of the Tutsi minority seems rather clear. This aristocratic role was favored by colonial authorities in the typical policy of divide et vince.

Yet, in Rwanda, the last Tutsi king fled in 1959 and Hutus held since then the power, due to being wide majority. Only in 1990, the Tutsi Rwandese Patriotic Front, supported by Uganda and Burundi, started to reverse the situation, leading to the civil war and the subsequent genocide.

Burundi instead, despite the downfall of monarchy in 1966, was kept under Tutsi hegemony by a series of dictators. In 1993, Burundi finally held elections, won by the Hutu Front for Democracy in Burundi. Yet soon a civil war started as well.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burundi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutsi

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 16:18
The Hutu and Tutsi were serperated by their nose shape, and the colour of their skin. (i.e. The Hutu were darker and had wider noses).

At least that's what I've read.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 15:44
Just watch the movie "Hotel Rwanda" in it they have a scene that talks about the differences between Hutus and Tutsis, also I would suggest listening to the commentary.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 18:01
Yeah, I saw that movie, pretty good
 Post Reply Post Reply