Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malay People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malay People
    Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 04:18
Well, the last time I recall that someone posted on Cambodian history, suddenly two or three members of nearby countries (I recall a Thai and a Viet) bashed him and stupidly prided that their nations had smashed Cambodians. I guess the topic ended being locked but I'm not sure. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 09:06
Hi, Cahaya. Where did the prev avatar go. I kind of like it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 10:51
Originally posted by cahaya

Senoi and Negrito are being suggest tht to have historical link with indegenous peoples in Burma, Thailand and Indo-China...

As similar human remains indicating dark-skinned and small stature race and artifacs have been found in Indo-China, Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia (Senois & Sakais)and east coast of Sumatra they have been grouped togather. Hence the relationship you had mentioned. I shall not say anymore as there is a whole host of ppl living in the jungles of SE Asia (who, by culture and ritual practices and language may also be grouped by the experts hence expanding further possible relationships)and I ain't an anthropologist..... 

Originally posted by cahaya

Well.. for proto Malay, their ancestor were believed came from the Indonesian Island..

They are believed to have reached the Malay Archipelago by sea route. Hence, they could  have indeed reached Peninsular Malaysia via Indonesia. I read somewhere that some scholars also called them Indonesians.  

Edited by Hamizao
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 13:58

Originally posted by Hamizao

Hi, Cahaya. Where did the prev avatar go. I kind of like it.

lol@ Hamizao .. I was thinking to promote Malay wardrobe to others when I started to use it... the real Baju kurung with Songket cloth... and the accesories... cucuk sanggul... and all... i'll use it bck once in a while...

Originally posted by Maju

Well, the last time I recall that someone posted on Cambodian history, suddenly two or three members of nearby countries (I recall a Thai and a Viet) bashed him and stupidly prided that their nations had smashed Cambodians. I guess the topic ended being locked but I'm not sure. 

Tht's supposed to be not good.. Malay people not only refer to Malaysian.. It's open to all Malay people all around the world.. we just want to share the history, the culture, the languages from the other friends... nobody is saying someone is better from others.. We all 'Rumpun Melayu' as wht Tin Tin said...

Edited by cahaya
Censored View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Censored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 00:38
What are Malayan people.What is 'Rumpun Melayu' as wht Tin Tin said.Who are Tin Tin.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 21:06

I couldn't find an answer in this thread so far to the question if the Austronesian or Malay people ethnically related or languistically related or a mix of both. The map that Tin-Tan posted shows the following spread of Austronesian or Malay languages:

Is this a spread of language? ethnic immigration? or both?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 03:30

Originally posted by Censored

What are Malayan people.What is 'Rumpun Melayu' as wht Tin Tin said.Who are Tin Tin.

May I?

In 1963, Singapore, North Borneo(later known as Sabah) and Sarawak joined Malaya in the Federation of Malayasia. People became known as Malaysians.(Singapore became independent later in 1965). Before Malaysia, the people of Malaya were known as Malayans. Now they are generally known as West Malaysians while East Malaysians are the people from Sarawak and Sabah.

"Rumpun Melayu" refers to the Malay ethnics of the Malay Archipelago. Over the years they have evolved into various sub-cultural groups and known by different names.

Edited by Hamizao
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:59

Good explanation from Hamizao..
Anyway would like to add here.. Tin-Tin is a nick (lol ).. but i am not so sure whether it has a meaning.. have to chck with the nick owner..

Originally posted by cok gec

this a spread of language? ethnic immigration? or both?

Based on the source i have here.. the map probably shows the ethnic migration. coz Anthropologists had traced the home of the Malay race to the nortwestern part of Yunan in China..proto - Malays or Jakun were a seafaring people. they were once from coastal Borneo who expanded into Sumatra and the Malay Peninsular as a result of their trading and seafaring way of life. This may explain the map and the arrows direction.. but I am not sure why the map shows different colors of arrows.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 10:44
Originally posted by ok ge

I couldn't find an answer in this thread so far to the question if the Austronesian or Malay people ethnically related or languistically related or a mix of both. The map that Tin-Tan posted shows the following spread of Austronesian or Malay languages:

Is this a spread of language? ethnic immigration? or both?

For what I can gather, this is the most likely route of expansion of Malay peoples, starting in Taiwan (Taiwanese aboriginals), going into Philippines first, then into Borneo and finally into Sumatra and Malay peninsula. There may have been several Malay waves and the "dark orange" arrows possibly want to mark the late expansion of Malay proper peoples from Borneo into Malay peninsula and Sumatra (and soon after to Madagascar).

The connection with Polinesians inside the Austronesian group is still confuse. The most reent classification seems to be:

Consensus Malayo-Polynesian classification (Wouk & Ross 2002)

Malayo-Polynesian

Source: Wikipedia - Austronesian languages

According to this classification, it would seem that the languages of Oceania (Eastern Malayo-Polinesian) branch out from those of South-Eastern Indonesia, then from those of the Malay-speaking nations of Irian Jaya, then spreading out to the islands. In a sense, all Oceania (except Australia and Papua) seem to be Malay (in the wide sense).

If you awnt something on Malayo-Oceanian genetics (y-chr lineages) check this.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:12
Thank you Maju. That was very benificial in answering my question.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12