Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kessen and Dynasty Warriors seris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kessen and Dynasty Warriors seris
    Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 12:50

How many here have heard of/played these games. I've played kessen 1 nad 2, seen 2 beaten both sides. Never played dynastry warriors 1 but played 2 threw 4. Kessen is an exelent tactical strategy game for the PS2 and dynasty warriors is a good beat'em up game on any platform.

I you've played Kessen 2 you'll recognize this quote

"the Kai-wengi we defeated was a fake."

For Kessen 1

"Lord Nobunaga I am to rule the land."

Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:16
The games are awesome, but some people get too caught up with the whole bit about them not being true to history.
lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:41
Well that's sort of true. Kessen 1 is ture to the histroy of shengoku jidai time frame. Kessen 2 is based on the romance of the three kingdoms novel while the dynastry warriors games are based more on facts.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:09
I love Dynasty Warriors but I'm not so much a big fan of Kessen. Lets just say I'm not a master tactician.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:11

I a master tactician.

Dynasty Warriors IV and up are the better ones, excluding Two for Playstation 2. Duels between generals and the such is awesome.

Dari is a pimp master
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:11

Let's see, where to begin? Well, first off, I'm not that much up to date with Japanese history at all, so I wouldn't know about Kessen 1. Now, about Kessen 2 and the Dynasty Warriors series; actually, they are both based on the novel (which is based on history... but my point is that both follow the novel more than they do history), to an extent, and when I say to an extent, I mean that some of the personalities that you will find in the novel (Zhang Fei's drinking habits, Liu Bei's noble factor, Zhuge Liang's godlike abilities, Cao Cao's seeming ambition to rule all of China, etc.) are present in Kessen 2, while many, many, many things are completely made up or altered to follow the game's storyline (such as the female generals under Cao Cao (who were originally males in history), Cai Wengi as a ruler, heck, Himiko, who in the end flees to Japan (there was an actual queen/princess/empress? by the name of Himiko in Japan during that time period who traded with some of the Chinese, if I recall correctly)). The Dynasty Warriors series follows the novel more closely than it does history as well. Such as all the who killed who instances, the duels (which hardly ever can be found outside of the novel), heck, most of the cutscenes follow the novel exclusively.

Whoo, that was long... sorry, just had to clear that up...

lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:13

I hear you, dynasty warriors 3 IIRC has a history section in it where you can learn the real story. So you could say that the DW seris is more fact based. Kessen 1 follows the history of the late shengoku era rigidly, that was one complaint leveled against it. But it had some historical license too. Like the fact that Tokugawa could use the cannonade ability. Cannons or any other kind of siege weapon were used in that time period. I mean why use a siege weapon when the castles are made out of timber and paper. That and the warrior women, that Tokugawa, Honda, and Yi had in their units. Heck Tokugawa had a she-ninja personal guard/concubine. The best thing about Kessen 1 was the ability that most of your general's had was inspire the troops, not the exact title but that's what it did. Basically the general would ride out into the fray and personally kill 20-30 enemies, he'd start out on horse back but would jump off to engage more targets very cool, and the higher the generals honour the more kills he would get. The best guy for this was Lord Fukoshima who's nick name was the bull and had bull horns on his helmet.

Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:29
Well, the history section in DW3 was still based heavily (heck, almost totally) on the novel (just trust me on this). One thing about the novel is that it is about 30% fiction, and those fictional parts are mostly what the game is based off of.
 Post Reply Post Reply