Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RomeTotalRealism Wants You!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
niikeb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RomeTotalRealism Wants You!
    Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 21:47
Hello,
Im NiikeB, I am the Co leader of Rome Total Realism. We are looking for serious historians and history buffs, to help us create a historical and immersive surrounding for each faction.
Some topics.
Religion, What were they, what was the effect on a follower
Army Moral,
Units, equipment, training, style
Factions, surrounding factions, religion, culture, buildings, units

An Example, of the kind of immersion we wish to achieve.

A roman army goes into germania, Romans have great supply, so the moral hit from supply isnt that bad. The woods surrounding the troops echos with screams, yet the woods is dark, the troops start to worry. Being they are higly trained legions this does not effect them much. The priest checks the omens and they are bad. a non religious general would laugh and give the men a rousing speech, bringing some order and confidence back into the men. Yet this general is very religious, his men see his worry, and rumor runs through the camp, they are in trouble. If the omen had been well, he could have inspired them to greater deeds, but the man feels abandoned by the gods.

After the defeat, several memebers of the gallic nobility decide now is the time to revolt, and take a town. The britons see a opening, and raid the north cost of gaul. This man was the faction heir, and has been replaced by a friend of the pelbians, which brings disorder and worry to the optimates, all because of a bad omen.

We are working on the technical aspects of this, but like I said we need information on religon cultures governments ect..... Our history team can only be specilized in so many areas, If you wish to join us as a history advisor, Either PM me, message me here, or visit us at www.rometotalrealism.org and contact us there.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerly
Mike B
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 23:40
I've made this thread a sticky as requested, and because I used to be quite a RTW addict. 
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 07:25
well you wont find a place with more histroy buffs then here!
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 17:23
This is a bit irrelevant, but I think the inaccurities in geography must be corrected. Is it possible?
niikeb View Drop Down
  Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 21:17
well we are redoing the map based on nasas map, but is there anything you want fixed exactly?
niikeb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 21:18
whoops forgot to log in
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 22:20
where is that map?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 19:30
Originally posted by niikeb

well we are redoing the map based on nasas map, but is there anything you want fixed exactly?

Yeah, actually there are more than one. The inaccurities in geography that I witnessed during the game:

● There is no desert in Turkey, but I saw the sandy terrain and some palm trees in the city of Ancyra and the surrounding lands.

● It snows in the Inner Anatolia every year, and it is very cold in winters.

● The same thing goes for the Eastern Anatolia (Armenia), it is probably much colder than any place in Europe.

● The only desert-like place in Turkey is the Southern-Eastern Anatolia (Northern Mesopotamia), which is very hot in summers.

● The Black Sea region (Northern Turkey) has a high precipitation (rain) in all seasons.

● The Aegean, Marmara and Mediterranean regions were rather accurate in terms of geoghraphy.

I know, they are all about Turkey, but sorry I don't know other countries' geographies well.

Edited by Barış
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 20:55
After playing vanilla for a while, i've called it quits and goen back to RTR.
I guess my ideal is a somewhat Rome centred game that offers the different Roman factions and the senate missions, but with the TR treatment.

Hmm, regarding snow, thats a good idea actualy, for central Anatolia, even parts of Iran. Is that modable?

Also is movement modable? I think provinces with good roads should have better movement, i mean, taking an army almost a 1/2 years to march the full length of Italy doesn't seem right.
Arrrgh!!"
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 17:19
If there is enough interest here, could the community contribute to your project as a team, niikeb? People here work very well together, and you may want to take advantage of that.
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 11:04
I love you guys that do the realism mods. I would like to personally thank you for you're efforts on you're mods.

However, I feel in you're effort to make the game more real you forget it's a game and they usually dont play well. I played 6.0 and found the realism fun but the game play insufficent. I won with the Romans, Carthaginians, and the Gauls quite easily (hardest setting of course).

I like the new skins you guys put on the units, but once the battle raged I couldn't tell my men from the enemy and it was just confusing. I know that is more realistic, but it is less fun.

Archers I feel were much to strong, not just archers but all the ranged units.  Whatever you guys did to the moral I felt it was less real not more real. In the realism mods I notice the armies stand and fight till the death in most cases. I know people hate seeing their units run, but this is the effect of archer fire, it instills fear and men run. Not so much that the arrows are killing off everyone but that they are killing at rage and you cant fight back.

With that said the vanilla version of BI is unplayable. I played it for about a week and thats all I can bare. The game lacks dynamics like building, trade, and diplomacy. If you manage to build a half way decent city soon a horde comes by and wipes you out. Maybe this is accurate of the era, and there isnt much else that can be done to change it. If so I think this era sucks for this type game. However, if the game just had a little of an diplomacy aspect maybe it wouldnt be so bad?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
niikeb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 11:09

6.0 i think is crap, we are working on a totally new system for 7.0 should be excellent , Now what i am thinking of doing, is making a hidden Forum on RTR, posting up items for review, such as traits ect... now either we could make 1 log in for the whole forum here, or post up items for review here. My dillema is that we dont want all this stuff going everywhere, We want to keep several suprises for release, *cough* government.

If you guys have any ideas on how to maintain anticipation of launch as well as be acessable for review im open to ideas

Mike B

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 06:20
With what are you currently working on RTR?
If you could post some unknown stuff on which you are working in RTR timeperiod from 280 BC to 14 AD, i think you can find a lot of answers and information in these forums.
niikeb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 14:36
well heres a good question, did carthage use the sarissa,
another good question is what were the german tribes like around 200BC
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 21:24
Originally posted by niikeb

well heres a good question, did carthage use the sarissa,

NO  despite Connely's book there is no evidence at all that they ever used it.

another good question is what were the german tribes like around 200BC

out of touch with any literate peoples,  but essentialy a bit more primative than Gauls otherwise similar.
rgds.

Tom..
niikeb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 10:58

Aye, the closest weve gotten to any hard evidence is some trading documetns that arent exactly specific if the 14 cubit spears were sea weapons or land based sarissa.

Well the germans, the trick is in the details. Basically right now our idea on solving them, is to go over more modern records aka after 50 AD, a look at the teutones of 100BC and the archolgical record and try to get some sense of the types of warfare.

timurshah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote timurshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 07:37

rome total war is best strategy game i ve ever played:)

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:51
Originally posted by timurshah

rome total war is best strategy game i ve ever played:)

They still think that Turkey is a country nothing of deserts, no ways and such  Been there 15 times and ...

I wanna play my great history (1000 years conquering isnt enough?) as a game, not wanna read it from books and such, theyve made thousands of games about rome, rome rome rome romeroeroermermoeirmoermerm, usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa attacking this attacking that and allways the winning side bah!

that whas my frustation about strategy games for a moment...

Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 11:35
I pray to the dear sweet lord that you guys make a RTR for BI. PLEAAASSSEEE

.....or an alien..
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:55

hey! if we help you guys, we definatly want the allempires.com in the next update!

.....or an alien..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>