Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best Historical Board-Game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best Historical Board-Game
    Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 05:14
Who knows good and interessting and rare historical Board-Games ?

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 07:47

I think Diplomacy must be the best board game ever.

Apart from it,I have Axis&Allies Europe...Man,it is so real.I feel as if I am a true commander in chief..You start the game as in 1941 before Germany attacked The Soviet Union.The United States is also in the game but with very limited military staff.Instead,It has the same amount of money with germany and usually The U.S buys troops and sends them to aid The Soviet Union...You are also supposed to be a good economist,because you should use your 'money' sources for essential units,which must be useful in the late phases of the game as well.

Europe's destiny lies in your hands.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 14:02
RISK!
Grrr..
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 16:49

I saw a game named History of the World, and it did seem very good either...

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 16:51
There was a computer game of Axis and Allies, including the whole world, the multiplayer of that was also truly remarkable.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 15:03
Shogun!  (as in Shogun: Total War)
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 20:58
Axis and Allies is a great board game. I never saw the European one though 

Risk is a good game with a few rule changes:

Bishops;  Capital Risk General unit varient

First you pick territories one army at a time.
Then on the 5th turn starting with the first person you pick a capitial. You write it on a small piece of paper, without anyone seeing it. If you lose that territory you are out of the game. Whoever takes you're capital gets everything you owned, you're armies cards everything.

The General varient

I took a single calvary unit from every color and painted it, basically highlited it so it would stand out. This is you're general, you get one and only one. The General takes three armies instead of two when it wins out right on a dies throw on the attack. And takes three on the defense when it wins out right on the defense as well. Once the General unit is broken down to infantry he is dead. You can put you're General in the game whenever you like. If you put him in to early you run the risk of him getting knocked out amounst the small armies on the board.

This rule change has a build up and a cold war effect on the game. Because you really cant be killed until you write you're capital down. So for 5 turns, it's a cold war, then on turn 6 the war gets hot!

I thought about making forts and defensive structures but never came up with anything good. These changes alone make for a very different, much quicker game so you can play a few times a night instead of just once for 5 hours!

Edited by Bishop
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 09:23

There is a good board game called Kingmaker set in the English Wars of the Roses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingmaker_(board_game)

AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:52
axis and allies, hands down
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 11:01
Originally posted by gcle2003

There is a good board game called Kingmaker set in the English Wars of the Roses.

I've seen it once, yet I never played it.

Apart of Diplomacy, the best 20th century boardgame without doubt, Machiavelli should be considered on its own right. Both are somehow more complex variants of Diplomacy, I believe.

In general Avalon Hill Co. made the best boardgames I've had the pleasure of playing, including many wargames as well.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 10:45
jep ,but there are a few small publishing companys  that issued some cool games. i played a lot when i was younger ,but can't remember all this games.
one was called britannia , which played during  the roman  empire and even later. anybod y knows it ?

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 03:02

Originally posted by Bishop

Axis and Allies is a great board game. I never saw the European one though 

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 06:37
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by gcle2003

I've seen it once, yet I never played it.

The interesting twist is that it is the possession of the king, the royal heirs, and other nobles, that counts, not the possession of territory - though that of course plays a part.

Edited by gcle2003
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 04:13
Bought a game called "Minoan" for a couple of Euros at a flee market, but haven't played it yet. As the name says, its all about early cultures striving for dominance in the Mediterranean.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply