Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diplomacy 1601--AE03

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diplomacy 1601--AE03
    Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 14:36

This starts the real game.

Realpolitik
If you don't have Realpolitik, you can download it here: http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Think of this program as a board game set that enforces the rules. It is very important to have; it will help you understand the rules much faster.

You need to install the 1600 variant. The RP files for the 1600 variant:
1600 RP files

Extract the files to the 'Variants' folder within the Realpolitik directory.

If you need help using the program, don't hesitate to ask. I am currently preparing some tutorials for the program, and you will see them here soon.

Country-player table
These are the countries designations for the practice game.
Poland     Thegeneral
England     glce2003
Habsburg Empire Kapikulu
Denmark     Kilikya
Spain       Maju
Ottoman Empire     Mixcoatl
France     morticia
Sweden     Rider
Russia     thediplomat

Order Etiquette
Try to send orders at the time that you receive the results of the last turn. This will keep the game going and make it more enjoyable for you.

You can always send another set of order before the deadline. If you do so, make it obvious to me that they are a second order by putting in the subject line of the email: "set number #" with the number of the set there. I will use whatever set number is bigger to process your order.

How to write orders
Each turn starts with an order. Write the order of the moves of your units in the following way:

<Unit Type> <Starting Location>-<target Location>
Army Castille-Navarre

To hold your army or fleet in place write
<Unit Type> <Starting Location> HOLD
Fleet Gascony HOLD

To support a move write
<Unit Type> S[UPPORT] <supported Unit Type starting location>-<target location>
Army Novgorod S Army Moscow-Tula

Feel free to use abbreviation: A-army, F-fleet, H-hold, S-support. To get the proper abbreviations for spaces on the board, please consult the information in Realpolitik by clicking Window->info.

Missing player rules

To make the move of the missing player's country fairer, I want everyone to send me your desired moves to the Ottoman Empire as if you controlled it. I will count each order as a vote.

In case of a tie, I will randomly select the move of the most popular orders. If I only get one order for Ottoman Empire, I will use it. So it is in your best interest to send Ottoman orders too

Rules

We will be following the rules established by Maju in the other game, with some modifications.

The official rules will be the 3rd Edition of Avalon Hill Co. rules, 1992 (PDF document). But some special rules will apply as follows:

1. In order to shorten the game, victory will be declared when any power controls 18 supply centers at the end of any year AND it has at least two more SCs than any other power. Only one major winner will still be possible. But any power controlling 15 or more SCs at that moment will get a partial victory honorific mention. If the leading power has 18 SCs but another power has 17 or there is a tie at 18 SCs, successive extra years will be played until one single power gets 2 center more than any other. If this would not be achieved, the normal rule of 25 centers' ownership will apply.

2.In order to prevent NBRs ("no builds received"), what can handicap seriously the neglected power, a special default-build rule will apply when no adjustments orders are received, as follows:

a. England will always build fleets by default
b. Ottoman Empire and Spain will build alternatively fleet-army, starting by a fleet
c. France, Sweden, and Demark will build alternatively army-fleet, starting by an army
d. Habsburg, Poland, and Russia will always build armies by default

3.The units will be built in the historical capital (if available) and then in any open home center (flipping a coin if necessary). Historical capitals are: Austria(Habsburg Empire), London (England), Paris (France), Castille(Spain), Zealand(Denmark), Cracow (Poland), Stockholm(Sweden), Moscow (Russia) and Constantinople (Ottoman Empire).

4.Excessive build orders will cause all builds to fail and apply the previous rule. Less builds than available will be accepted as such (it's understood that the player wants to waive some of his builds). A player can voluntarily waive all his builds but must specify it.
When no disbands are received, the official rule will apply to determine them but in one aspect: instead of following alphabetic order of provinces, as the rulebook says, I will apply random selection by flipping coins or throwing a dice.

5. The convoy priority rule will only apply if the convoying fleet(s) is/are not dislodged. If the convoy fails but the army can still move because of adjacency of the provinces involved, then normal movement will happen. (This is such a very rare happening that I have never seen it out of the theory, so don't worry much about it).

6. The default retreat is "out of the board" (OTB) or "disband". Players can order that as well if it fits their designs.
Any unit not ordered will hold (preventing this way its automatically disbanding in case it is dislodged).

House rules:
1. In case of doubt the GM will have the last word, always applying the rulebook and any special rules (as for above).

2.If a player fails to send orders (NMR/NBR), he will be notified by the GM and must reply declaring if he wishes to follow with the game. Two successive NMRs in regular or adjustments turns (retreats won't apply) will cause the player to be deposed and replaced - no excuses. If the NMRing player doesn't reply to the GM's mail, he will be deposed and replaced without any second opportunity.
Regular turns (Spring and Fall) will be scheduled with terms of about 5 days. Weekends can stretch these terms a little.

3.Retreats' and adjustments' turns will have a maximum term of 48 hrs. Only for these, the GM will adjudicate earlier if all orders are in. If they fall fully in weekend, the term can be stretched a little bit too. This is up to the players' needs largely.

4. Deadline extensions will be conceded upon request but I ask the players not to abuse of them. Conditional adjustments/retreats can be sent as alternative for short sub-turns extensions and I encourage them.

5. I also encourage to send preliminary orders as soon as you receive the adjudication. You can send as many different sets of orders as you need. The last one arriving will erase the previous. Please send always full sets of orders: it doesn't matter what you sent in previous ones.

6. Orders will be interpreted benevolently but any order that is confusing enough will be declared invalid. Still I will notify the players if there is time for that, so this should not be a problem for novices.

7. Press: I will accept white press (signed) and grey press (anonymous). I won't accept black press (on other's name). The press should be written with the orders' set and will be published with the adjudication. The GM will try to write some press too and "the gallery" (observers) can also write press (white only). Alternatively you can post in the All Empires - General Gaming topic open for this game's purpose (this one).

I may add new rules in the future if necessary, always after consulting the players.

Edited by hugoestr
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 15:16
Deadline:

AE1600-03--First move due Monday, Nov 14, 2005 9:00 -5 GMT

Special rules for this variant:

There are no special rules, but you should notice that the provinces of Ingria, Novgorod, Great Poland, Masuria, Crimea, Voronezj , Bessarabia and Galicia are canal provinces, making it possible to the otherwise landlocked powers of Poland and Russia to build fleets. Fleet movement between Galicia and Mazuria is not allowed. Greece, Jutland, Schleswig, Zealand, Scania and Mecklenburg are also canal provinces just like Denmark, Sweden, Kiel and Constantinopel are in standard. Switzerland is impassable. There are no provinces with several coasts.

Strategic and tactical advice on the variant's homepage:

Variant's home page

Edited by hugoestr
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 19:41
Strategic and tactical advice on the variant's homepage:

Variant's home page

Notice that the version of the variant analyzed in the homepage and the one we are playing (adapted by Graue Substanz) have rather a bunch of small but sygnificative diferences, so the advice it gives may not always be possible to apply straigtforwardly.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 20:22
Remeber the historical character we are embodying:

Spain:
Philip II
and his Valido, the Duke of Lerma
(Maju)

France:
Henri IV (and III of Navarre)
(Morticia)

Ottoman Empire:
Mehmet III
(Mixcoatl)

Holy Roman Empire (Habsburgs):
Rudolph II
(Kapikulu)

England and Ireland:
Elizabeth I
(glce2003)

Poland:
Sigismund III
(Thegeneral)

Russia:
Boris Godunov
(thediplomat)

Sweden:
Charles IX
(Rider)

Denmark and Norway:
Chistian IV
(Kilikya)

Some of these characters will pass over in the next years. I will try to keep you informed of any change in the ruling houses of Europe.

Some other (non-player) rulers in 1600 were:

Pope Clement VIII

Prince Philip William of Orange, Stadtholder of the United Provinces.

Joachim Frederick of Hohenzollern, Duke of Prussia, Margrave and Elector of Brandenburg.

Doge Marino Grimani of Venice.

Duke Carlo Emannuelle I of Savoy.

Duke Charles II of Lorraine.

Duke Maximilian I of Bavaria (later made Elector). In the image with his second wife, Maria Anna of Austria.

Prince Sigismund Bthory of Transylvania.

Khan Gazi II Giray of Crimea.

Hospodar (or Domn) Ieremia Movila of Moldavia (Bessarabia).

Pomerania was divided in several minor states. Bremen, a former Archbishophric, was administered by Johann-Friederich of Holstein-Gottorp. North Africa was in the hands of the Barbary Corsairs. Portugal belonged to Spain, though it was unruly. Serbia and Hungary actually belonged to the Ottoman Empire that administered them directly.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 04:35

Oops so, I wish the most jackal one wins

I want the Red Crotch groups to come help here too

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 04:52

I uploaded the files under that folder you had told but the game starts at 1901..

How will we arrange that?

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 05:55

I'm uncertain whether one is allowed to deliberately disband a unit (that otherwise wouldn't need to be) in order to create a new one at home?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:40

No you can't gcle2003.

Kapikulu, for that reason there is the variant menu in the upper edge. Selec t it and 1600 from it.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 14:20
Originally posted by Kapikulu

I uploaded the files under that folder you had told but the game starts at 1901..

How will we arrange that?

You are surely watching a map of the Standard variant.

Have you uploaded also the 1600 variant files? If so, you must select Variants > 1600 in the menu. If 1600 doesn't appear among the variants, then you haven't downloaded them in the right folder: C:/.../Realpolitik/Variants/1600.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 15:20
Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm uncertain whether one is allowed to deliberately disband a unit (that otherwise wouldn't need to be) in order to create a new one at home?

No, you can't. You can only disband units under the following circumstances:
  • When you have more units than supply centers in any Winter season: then you must disband the excess units at will.
  • When a unit is forced retreat: then one option is to retreat it off the board (OTB) or, by other name, disband it.
If you're thinking in your army, I would say that, while England is certainly the power that more needs to rely on fleets, armies aren't useless at all:
  • Defensively as garrison, they can be very useful because, unlike fleets, you can move them overland (for instance A London-Wales, a movement that fleets simply can't do).
  • In continental expansion, you will eventually need to go beyond coastal provinces and there only armies can act. For this purpose, you will need to know how to make convoys, that is move armies from coast to coast with the help of fleets. In the practice game, two convoys were perfectly executed by England and Sweden, check it to make sure you know how to do them.
On convoys, it's worth to note that though the ones seen in the practice game are the most simple and common, you can also make chain convoys along large tracks of water, by ordering succesive adjacent fleets (yours or your allies') to convoy the army. Example:

Here you can see an imaginary example: after some quarreling, Spain and England decide to make peace and England is offered the disputed "crusade state" of Tunis in exchange of support in Flanders. They decide to convoy A London there, all with the help of Austria.

The exact orders for this chain convoy are:

England:
A London - North Africa
F English Channel Convoys A London - North Africa
F Md atlantic Ocean Convoys A London - North Africa

Spain:
F Western Mediterranean Sea Convoys A London - North Africa
F Tyrrhenian Sea Supports A London - North Africa

Additionally, Austrian F Lybia cuts the Otoman support. But (very important) French F Gulf of Lyon - West Mediterranean doesn't "cut" the convoy. It would have needed to dislodge the fleet to effectively disrupt it.

Note: I don't say that it is the best planned operation nor the most likely of situations but anyhow it is a good example of how chain convoys can be done.

Chain convoys, specially when excuted among two or more powers, can be not just spectacular but also very surprising and disruptive.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 19:19

I like that program, I did not know that is how you GMs did that! Stinkin magicians!

One question, how do you get the units to do the moves.  I clicked resolve, because I thought that would move them but it doesn't.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 22:04
Originally posted by Thegeneral

I like that program, I did not know that is how you GMs did that! Stinkin magicians!

One question, how do you get the units to do the moves.  I clicked resolve, because I thought that would move them but it doesn't.

Ctrl-R (Resolve, it marks unsuccesful orders), Ctrl-K (Commit, ends the movement, changes the season). If after you push Ctrl-R you want to change the moves, then Ctrl-Z (undo). If after commiting, then you have to go back to the previous season (Shift-Tab) and then Ctrl-B (Branch). For some reason Winter adjustments are more dificult to modify.

You can also Edit the map and even the season/year. You can save the game and save the board as BMP image.

It's not any super-spectacular software but you can manage it pretty well and it doesn't commit errors in the adjudications (unless the variant files have errors in them - but it's relatively easy to check that, as all are text files and BMP images). 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 09:23
Rule's amendment:

1. In order to shorten the game, victory will be declared when any power controls 18 supply centers at the end of any year AND it has at least two more SCs than any other power. Only one major winner will still be possible. But any power controlling 15 or more SCs at that moment will get a partial victory honorific mention. If the leading power has 18 SCs but another power has 11 or there is a tie at 18 SCs, successive extra years will be played until one single power gets 2 center more than any other. If this would not be achieved, the normal rule of 25 centers'(more than half) ownership will apply.
---

The change is to adjust the numbers due to a greater total of SCS in 1600.

Edited by hugoestr
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 17:21
Another correction to the rules:

1. In order to shorten the game, victory will be declared when any power controls 18 supply centers at the end of any year AND it has at least two more SCs than any other power. Only one major winner will still be possible. But any power controlling 15 or more SCs at that moment will get a partial victory honorific mention. If the leading power has 18 SCs but another power has 17 or there is a tie at 18 SCs, successive extra years will be played until one single power gets 2 center more than any other. If this would not be achieved, the normal rule of 25 centers' ownership will apply.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:15

I started to get some bad smells from the game

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:40
Lol, bad smells? why?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 15:49

What do you mean by that?

'Bad smells from the game'?

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 16:01

The ugly face of diplomacy

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 16:46
From His Holiness Clement VIII, to all Catholic monarchs and to all Christians of good faith:

My dear sons: It has been known in this Holy See that a devilish shadow threatens the already shattered Church of Rome. An evil alliance contra natura of the dreaded Turk and the Lutheran heretics to destroy the nations that still belong to the true Church. Furthermore, the Holy Inquisition has discovered who is the Antichrist that has concieved such monstruous plot: it could not be other than that commoner that has risen to the throne of Muscovy: Boris Godunov.

We ask to our dear sons, the Holy Roman Emperor and the Catholic Kings of Europe to remain united against such satanic threat, for you shall know that the works of the Devil are of illusory nature and that only our Lord can work true miracles and can give victory to those that remain solid in their faith. The so called "grand alliance" is not destinied to endure but just will probe our faith and the solidarity among the true Christian princes that He has placed in such high places of power and responsability.

We pray day and night for the success of the Catholic princes and the defeat of the Antichrist and his dogs. We pray in the conviction that our cry will be heard in Heaven and that the Divine Wisdom will be with the defenders of Rome.

A new Crusade is being called. A Holy League must be born.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:19
King Sigismund of the great nation of Poland calls its allies to form together under Poland to embark on the popes call for the First Crusade to root out the heathens of the world!  The king is calling upon his nobles to follow him to eliminate the evils that infest our nations.  Poland asks her allies, the church, and God to be with them on this journey.  May God will it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>