Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if...
    Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 20:29

What if Ogedei Khan had not died in 1241 and the Mongols were able to advance on Vienna?

From what I remember from my research paper (which is on the computer that's not working right now) Europe has exhausted most of its armies on trying to halt the Mongolian advance.  Without an enormous army to stop the Mongols, I don't think it's too hard to conceive that they could have reached the Atlantic Coast.  Just speculation though....

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 07:31

Even if they conquered Vienna, they probablly coulnd't have maintained the Empire. They conquered Arabia, Asia and Russia, but none of their empires in these regions lasted long.

There would be a lot of dead bodies for sure.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 09:07
I'm sure they could have made it far into Europe, but the question would be how long before they would be repelled.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:08
I don't think they would have made it across the Rhine. They would be spread so thin and weak states would ally stronger states that it would be ridiculous to attempt it. Besides horsemen don't work well in forests. One thing is for sure though, modern europe would be very different.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:32
There was a Hungaro-Polish allience but apparently the Mongols beat them.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 21:37
They would move into France, sack paris, move into italy, get defeated somewhere in the apenine mountain range by some kind of alliance because of geography and number.
Grrr..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:37
they would be beaten by geography and th like but I doubt if they could be descisively beaten by the sorry armies in western europe at the time in a diret engadgment.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 18:04
America would have declared a pre-empitve strike and have invaded Mongolia...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 18:30

The mongols would be thoroughly trounced by King George II.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:46

the terrain argument is completely unbased, i've seen southern China (which was conquered) and central europe, and I know southern china is much more difficult for cavalries. that also goes for castles and cities.

and anyways, the Alans reached as far as western spain and they were a steppe people...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 13:53
Originally posted by JanusRook

The mongols would be thoroughly trounced by King George II.

oh I think it would be much the opposite...The comparitive cranial functions of say Subotai versus GW would be like compary a basset hound to Albert Einstein. 

Anyway, the Mongols are used to pre-emptive strikes, ask Mr. Mohommed Kwarezm-Shah

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 08:15
Americans will die in hail of arrows... their bullet-proof vests lending no defence against arrows.
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:15

What would have happened...

Well, the Mongols might teach their subjects some religious tolerance. Eastern Europe will be full of more noticably mixed folks. Kinda like how Italiens are from Arabs, we'll get another 'subgroup' of 'white'.

But yeah, I think continued conquest was pretty much guaranteed. They can't be everywhere at once though, so the campaign against Song China would've probably been halted.

Edited by TMPikachu
 Post Reply Post Reply