Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggest an RTS game great for multiplayer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggest an RTS game great for multiplayer
    Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 00:09
Would you mind helping a brother out in finding a game for him?  I would like to know what game fits these descriptions:

1. Strategy game that's good in multiplayer.
2. Has a universial and official rating system, best if the ratings don't decay very fast.
3. Is not too old and does not have a huge player pool and is not dominated by ultra-competitive players.
4. Gameplay requires both skill and thought (deep strategy).

Thanks!

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 03:58
Could you give us a list of what you've tried? So as to eliminate them?

Cossacks with a set agreement, say 1 hour to built up an economy and army can be fun. And the time limit removed the lame early rush type games. Of course its best with a player you sort of know and can trust to abide by it.

But am i correct in assuming that AoK style games are out?
Arrrgh!!"
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 19:22

Starcraft is the best RTS in terms of not lagging and playability, but one small problem is that the fast one tends to win.

RON is great, especially for its diversity and graphics, BUT it runs VERY SLOW on computers with less function than 512 RAM, Top video card (I'd say more than GEforce 6000), 2.4 GHZ, etc.  By VERY SLOW, I mean 8 frames per second, when the minimum frames required for a fluent game flow is 25.  Also, RON is HORRIBLE in Multiplayer games that are not LAN.  Good for Single players though.

Age Of Conq is fun - In fact, I started that game in 1995 and I'm still enjoying this game, unlike starcraft, in which I stopped playing around 2000.  The game runs pretty well with graphics put to low.  There is ocassionally lag in multiplayer, but I love the game because it runs okay in slow computers.

Good thing about this game is that you can micromanage your units- meaning you can dodge arrows by moving your units.  Very strategic too, given that the game lasts more than 20 minutes.

BTW, you can get 500 pop mod or even 1000 pop mod from AOK heaven.  So it's a lot of fun.  And by that, I mean battle of Hasting times 100.

Or I can give you my mod that I'm making

RoR is cool just like AOC.  Some of my friends like this better.

Empire Earth II- Never played it.

Cossacks- 2000 population limit is the biggie here, but never played it.

AOE III - never played it.  But I bet you need a heck better computer than it takes to play RON.

Warcraft series- Don't play this game.  It's pure speed no strategy.

Rome: total war: very exciting 2000 pop limit game, just that you need a computer as fast as RON's.

Grrr..
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 01:22
Thanks. I haven't been in multiplayer RTS since I quit playing AOM 3 yrs ago after my connection started having problems, so I'm way out of date in terms of what's going on. For most of the past years, I've only been playing FPS-type games, until RTW. I liked RTW multiplayer but it got repetitive after a while since all the 1on1 battles were the same (basically its who can outmaneuver who) and the team battles usually were unbalanced. For a long term multiplayer game, I'd prefer one with official player ratings.

Now, I'm back in counter-strike but I'm looking for a better game to play online as a "long term game".

Edited by Imperator Invictus
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 02:39

MTW, good AI and hardcore strategy play

RTW, upgrade from MTW graphically

Cossacks and Empire Earth are not too bad neither

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Post Reply Post Reply