Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cool book stores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool book stores
    Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 13:13

After all the talk of book stores I thought that it would begreat to hear about your favorite store all over.

Besides my own (which I like,but have read anything that meets my intrests) the coolest one I was in was outside Boston in this small town. The fellow must have had 30,000 books split into catagories in all the out buildings and a house on this little acerage. It was to cool roming around fromfrom one room(or building) to the next  he had them in the attic and the basement, in what was a bunk house and the garage and a small barn and every where. Just wish I could remember the name of it.

How about you guys, wheres your favorite? 

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:02

There was this book store in Manhattan that I visited once and fell in love with.  Rather non descript on the outside but the inside was full of books.   I love the smell of books.  LOL

But I think my favorite has to be Shakespeare and Company in Paris.  I found it quite by accident one day while walking back to my hotel.  I spent the entire afternoon there.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 20:25
We don't really have any bookstores here except for Borders.
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:00
I like large corporate megalith bookstores like Barnes and Nole, they have everything and usually stupid people dont go inside bookstores which also is a plus.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:00

If anyone here is ever in Muncie (dear God never be) then there is a real nice book shop called the White Rabbit. The owner's really nice and has some really neat stock like a first edition Origin of Species for $35 or so.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 18:23

Originally posted by Tobodai

I like large corporate megalith bookstores like Barnes and Nole, they have everything and usually stupid people dont go inside bookstores which also is a plus.

Me too, usually smaller book stores don't seem to carry the more obscure titles I want.

~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:42
true, although one thing I have to give small bookstores is often more bizarre little treasures, like my Native American folk tale book which intorduced me to the wonderful and hilariously perverted world of such tales.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply