Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Egypt Origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Egypt Origins
    Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 19:47
I didn't read the whole thread and I don't know much about Anicent Egypt so I'm probably wrong but...

Isn't the color white suppose to mean purity and omnipotence while the color red meant victory and life? I always thought that the wall paintings showed the skin color between both genders different because of that.

The people in this wall painting...

http://historylink101.net/egypt_1/egyptian-wall-painting-5 .jpg

... seem to be in some type of cermony or ritual so they could of painted their skin?

I don't know, just a guess on my part.

I do think that Ancient Egyptians were Mesopotamian since the civilization of Sumeria predates Egypt and is located fairly close to the Nile. Both civilizations bare some minor similarities so I don't doubt Ancient Egypt was settled orginal by Mesopotamians and just copulated with surrounding tribes.
Mr Bobo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 09:44

I think perhaps some of the assumptions that are made about on this subject are a bit narrow becasue people relate geo-political situation of that time period to the current geo-political situation. What i mean by this is that 5000 years ago there werent any defined countries and the like of what we had today, people moved about alot and you didnt need a visa to get from one area to another. This means that there will of course be many different cultures and practises of many different households/tribes/races in one particular region that dont nesceearily relate to the 'original' inhabitants of that region. This means its immpossible to say wether all 'Egyptians' were either fair skinned, originated from Mesopotamia or preffered chicken instead of lamb. Most definately there were certain sections of the general eygptian society that portrayed all or some of these characteristics in some way shape or form, but to classify all Eygptians with one particular characteristic or origin is narrow minded. Even today with set borders and things like immigration laws can you classify all Americans as white, slightly overweight and a bit slow?         

Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 01:58
Originally posted by Temujin

women were white becasue white chikcs are mroe attractive, just look at japan, ther Geishas paint themselves completely white, so it'S just a beauty thing entering the world of wall paintings...

If you know nothing about Oriental culture, please shut you month up. When Chinese encountered Caucasian tribes in Silk Road, they described them as "monkey-like" with "blond hairy faces and hairy body". When Japanese encountered Europeans in 15th century, they called them "Barbarians from the South", now they described them as almost devil like feature: blue eyes and hairy features. Yes, in today's world, under Westernization, our beauty perception was dictated by Western perception, but that wasnt the case back then.

In ancient time, there was no such thing as "racial superiorty", ancient Greeks believed Ehiopeans were the most beautiful people in the world, and we know that in a globalized Western world, black women rarely are the symbols of beauty.

Race is such important thing to European civilization, but not to other civilizations. I just dont understand why debate whether Egyptians were black civilization or white civilization was such a big deal?

Let me ask you this: Do you think ancient Greeks and Romans believed themselve as part of "European civilizaton"??? NO, abosolutely no! Europe was created by the Germanic tribes. Greeks and Romans called all their neighbors, regarless of their races, barbarians. Greeks and Chinese believed they were the most advanced civilizations on earth and see themselves as the center of the world. Thats why Greeks call their north as Europe and refered the south as Asia.

As a political science student, I can tell me one thing, by 2050, 40% of US population will be black and immigrants, and the low birth rate in Europe will force their governments to adopt similar immigration policy as that in North America. If you dont like other racial types, blame the seed of Western capitalism, which we (Westerners) worhshiped commodities, and destroyed the traditional familiy values. This results in low birth rate, and over reliance on immigrants.

The concept of race will definately destroyed in the middle of this century, and we will witeness shrinkage of native population in Europe. We can not blame why immigrants keep come to our world, because we create this globalized capitalist system.

Edited by Kids
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 02:40
Welcome to AE Kids. Kids, it is very evident that when Temujin says "white chicks", he is not refering to modern white chicks but that the earliest cultures seemed to look at women's fair skin as a thing of beauty. Even Romans used creams to lighten the skin.Murals of fat Tang beauties on the Silk Road that your speak are commonly portrayed very light.Women from some of the northern areas of Japan such as Akita are regarded because of their fairer skin even today.
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 08:33
Originally posted by Catt

Welcome to AE Kids. Kids, it is very evident that when Temujin says "white chicks", he is not refering to modern white chicks but that the earliest cultures seemed to look at women's fair skin as a thing of beauty. Even Romans used creams to lighten the skin.Murals of fat Tang beauties on the Silk Road that your speak are commonly portrayed very light.Women from some of the northern areas of Japan such as Akita are regarded because of their fairer skin even today.

I believe this is a matter of word usage. Why African-Americans do not perfer to be called Negors or Chinese people dont like the words "Chinaman"? On the surface, they all identify particular groups clearly. On the other hand, they accompanies with racial stereotyped images. When HE used the phrase "White chicks", it does not give an impresson of description of facial fairness, but targets clearly on specific groups, that of  Caucasian females.

The concensus of skin fairness and the concensus of the concept of beauty was never established in ancient time. If Orientalist skin fairness was the same as Europeans', I doubt Han Chinese did not speak the beauty of European women. But, this did not happened in 15th century when Chinese and Japanese encountered Europeans. As I said earlier, different ethinicities hold different cultural values as well as perception of beauty; when Chinese encountered nomadic tribes as early as Han dynasty, they refered people as like "mao ren" or hairy monkey man with blue eye and "exceed" facial hairs.

There was simply no establishment or pulblic recognition of the "racial" differences in ancient time prior the colonization in 18th century. Ethiopians were considered the most attractive "barbarians" in the eyes of ancient Greeks. But that was not the case in today's world. The force of Globalization has established consensus or norm and challenge the traditional and cultural values. This is certainly positive in many aspects regarding of human right and equalization, but things such as beauty perception has became globalized too. Western female models became the beauty idols in Far East, and appear in most of media and magzines. Many women incline to believe larger breasts, small faces, and tall statue are the standard characteristics of what is beautiful. I even notice that in Japan and in Taiwan, where Western prostitutions and hostess are paid much higher in comparsion with cheap Orinental prostitues in Paris and London. This, however, no longer can be explained and described as "exotic phenomenon", but as "racial commodities". Racial conceptions, instead, being channelized and materilized into commodities, in order to satisfy people's mental pleasure and satisfaction. Just as we are inclined to develop a loyalty to certain commodities (shoes, clothings, electronics), women in 3rd world become to incline to believe there is "urgency" to look akin like a Caucasian women. I have countless experience to read news and to read Social reports from Taiwan and some back in early '90s in Japan, where there was an increasing demand in an "invisible" market of look attractive as Western models (a Canadian award documentary called "Tokyo Girls" is widly studied for this subject).

Now, do you still try to belive and to explain that as part of native cultures? Unfortunately not in a world of Globalized and Westernized world.

Edited by Kids
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 11:38
no i did not, your just interpreting here, i think I was quite clear in what I wrote, even when the usage of "white chick" was not the most political correct.
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 13:14

"women were white becasue white chikcs are mroe attractive, just look at japan, ther Geishas paint themselves completely white, so it'S just a beauty thing entering the world of wall paintings..."

So, are you saying there is no public consensus of what "white chick" meant? and it can refer all other racial groups?

And, why you assume culture of Geishas has to do with desiring being "white chick"?

Last, can you explain why you say "white chicks are more attractive, just look at Japan....Geishas paint themselves complete white"???

My intention is that I DO NOT want to see anyone who tries to comment on certain ethnicities without trying to put themselve in other's position. There is no ABOSULTE  norm of what beauty is, and I already gave a lengthly explaination on that.

Edited by Kids
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 14:07

Kids - Welcome to AE - nothing like diving right into a self created controversy.  Perhaps spend a bit if time reading other posts by long standing members before attacking them.  Temujin's been around here for a while and we don't have a great deal of tolerance for intolerance.  BTW - he's pulling your chain - lighten up a bit. 

Hey T - Those of us that know you know that we don't have to worry about you -  - but go easy on Kids - there's not a lot of sense of humor there apparently.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 14:14
He means fair skin, drawing on the old 'in many countries women are lighter than men' observation.
It may not look that way, but its what he intended.
This discussion have come up a million times.

Race is such important thing to European civilization, but not to other civilizations. I just dont understand why debate whether Egyptians were black civilization or white civilization was such a big deal?

IIRC, most of the fuss comes from N. America, and does indeed revolve around the subjective and vauge colour codes of black and white. That the Egyptians were light brown must be too difficult for some people to grasp.

And wouldn't call Europe a 'Germanic' thing, Latin christians were using it very early on too. It basicly became a name for 'Christiandom' that could be deemed to be rooted in the classical past.

welcome to the forums btw.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 12:41
Just for fun: I've heard Korean nationalists claim Egypian origin as Korean because of the word Egypt.  Egypt= this house (is) foundation in Korean translation, ironically.  But don't bother believing it. 
Grrr..
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 00:40
Another funny story is that they originated Sumerian civilization, because the name "Sumer" sounds like one of their words. 
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 02:17
I've got a feeling that Sharukin
is not buying the Egypt-Korea connection.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 13:43
Him and me included...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 02:11

Hello, I am an anthropology grad student that has studied Egypt for the last few years.  I was browsing through your thread and was so alarmed by your posts that I actually signed up on the spot just to say something.

I grew up in the suburbs as an ordinary "all American white kid."  I too was taught in high school all of the false truths that have been constructed as a way too describe Ancient Egypt.  The thing is, in the course of my studies, I have learned just how untrue this "knowledge" is.  First: Ancient Egyptians were not what we would call white people.  They weren't what we would call a mixed "race" (race is such an incorrect term here) either.  To say that would be like saying that modern England is a mixed population simply because there are some blacks living in the country.  Likewise Egypt was, even from early dynastic times, a place where several different peoples existed.  The majority of the population (including royalty), however, were people that we would today consider "black people."  This is pretty much accepted by most people in the field today and all reliable evidence supports this.

The question is, why is there such a debate about this.  The answer is simple.  In order to understand why this is even an issue you must know a little bit about the Trans-Atlantic slave trade and the colonization of Africa.  To cut a long story short, it became essential for the European powers, if they wanted their economies to continue to benefit from slave labor and colonial exploitation, to dehumanize the African or black person.  A big part of this was to portray him/her as having no history of any consequence and of basically coming from the trees.  In this way colonization could be portrayed as a civilizing mission.  In this way the unprecedented brutality of slavery in the Americas could be condoned as not being inflicted upon a real person.  In creating this image of the black man, it would be extremely detrimental to the cause to show that indeed one of the first and the longest lasting of all great civilizations in human history was predominately black.

I have learned a lot about what a threat that was to the Western powers at the time who attempted to rewrite history.  The French were particularly zealoous in their actions.  There are countless monuments and artifacts that have been defaced or destroyed.  All of the recovered defaced items have striking similarities.  Their noses and lips have been removed or crushed.  This is not a coincidence as these features were considered to be revealingly black features.

Anyway, I just think it's sad that even today these perceptions still exist.  Ask yourselves why you want to believe that Egyptians weren't black.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 06:59
Hello,   Grad, what school if i may ask?

This on western powers attempting to rewrite history, what evidence do you have for this?
It is a little bit out there.

The same can be asked, " Why do blacks want to claim Egypt?" [I will tell why. In order to understand why this is ,you must understand the achievments Europeans have made in science and literature. Africans,what do they have to show for their past? Nothing. No buildings or historical monuments. That is why they want Egyptian civilization and its pyramids for their own, thereby lifting their own selfworth.]

I heard this years ago and could be based on paranoia.
Even though both ideas are crazy and racism is still around , i am apt to believe the latter (a huge generalization)than yours which to be true, one would have to believe in this whole big conspiracy that was well orchestrated by Europeans.

However, there is evidence of African-American writers mangling history for their own purposes on this subject.Early leaders such as Marcus Garvey,founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association(UNIA) writing..

The time has come for the blackman to forget and cast behind him his hero worship and adoration of other races, and to start out immediately to create and emulate heroes of his own. We must canonize our own saints,create our own martyrs, and elevate to positions of fame and honor Black men and women who have made their distinct contributions to our racial history.

every student of history, of impartial mind, knows that the Negro ruled the world, when white men were savages and barbarians living in caves; that thousands of Negro professors at that time taught in universities in Alexandria,then the seat of learning.

Alexandria,.. are you sure about that Marcus?

The truth is that neither one of our statements is fact and no assistance in finding the truth. I would stick to solid ground in your position.

Edited by Catt
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 11:20

Originally posted by Catt

Hello,   Grad, what school if i may ask?

This on western powers attempting to rewrite history, what evidence do you have for this?
It is a little bit out there.

The same can be asked, " Why do blacks want to claim Egypt?" [I will tell why. In order to understand why this is ,you must understand the achievments Europeans have made in science and literature. Africans,what do they have to show for their past? Nothing. No buildings or historical monuments. That is why they want Egyptian civilization and its pyramids for their own, thereby lifting their own selfworth.]

I heard this years ago and could be based on paranoia.
Even though both ideas are crazy and racism is still around , i am apt to believe the latter (a huge generalization)than yours which to be true, one would have to believe in this whole big conspiracy that was well orchestrated by Europeans.

There is concrete evidence to show the "rewriting of history" that I have seen for myself.  It is known, for example that the Napoleon lead French were responsible for defacing the Sphynx at Giza.  If you do not believe Africans or African Americans then read up on reports from Europeans.  There are recorded logs of ninteenth century European exploration of the region which describe their shock at encountering an ancient black civilization.  Historically speaking there are also some preserved records of early Greeks describing the population that they encountered upon journeying to Egypt as black skinned.  Also there have been testse done on mummified remains which, while not completely reliable (due to the severe erosion of time and the chemicals used in the mummification process), indicate almost without fail that the people that were embalmed were indeed dark skinned people.

Again the question is, why is this so hard to believe.  Egypt was in Africa! It was in a dry, hot, desert region.  All evidence points to a dark skinned indiginous populace.  Yet there is a strong resistance to these facts and they are not made readily available.  The world we live in has been distorted out of the necessity for colonial powers to justify their practices.  You made the statement that Africans have nothing to show for their past.  This is indicative of the way that people in the Western world are educated to believe in white European superiority.  Forget Egypt for a moment, there were kingdoms in Sub-Saharan Africa during the European Middle ages with more wealth and power than anything in Europe at the time.  Kingdoms like Ghana, Songoy and Mali.  In our education system we are not taught about these kingdoms and that is not out of coincidence.  I would recomend reading a book called The Colonizer and the Colonized by Memmi.  It details the colonization process and how eradicating the history of the Africans (who at that time were no longer living in larger kingdoms but rather in smaller tribes) was essential to effective colonial rule.  The Europeans had to establish racial inequality as fact in order to maintain the social climate within the colonies.

I could go on forever about this.  I could talk about how I was taught that the pyramids were built by slaves.  I could bring up the way we are taught to believe that Africans have no written history when in fact massive libraries have been found on the Ivory coast that pre-date the Roman Empire.  It is a source of frustration for everyone in our field because of the tremendous amount of information that has been destroyed and is forever lost to us.

There have been authors to attempt to claim the entirety of Egypt's history as being one of black rule.  This is not acurate as foreigners ruled from 670 B.C. on and at intermittent periods in between.  There is also evidence of mixed race rulers from interracial marriages.  That being said this practice by black authors is a result of the way that blacks raised in the West, upon investigating their history, become alarmed at the amount of information that was left out of their education and end up not trusting any of it.

Believe me buddy, I grew up learning the same things as you.  I thought that all relevent history was the result of people "like me."  I have since learned otherwise.  The information is out there.  The only reason to trully believe that the Egyptians were somehow a non-African people is out of desire to believe that; which is a prolem in and of itself.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 11:53
The only reason to trully believe that the Egyptians were somehow a non-African people is out of desire to believe that; which is a prolem in and of itself.

The generaly taught thing is not that they were non-african, its that they didn't look like Nigerians.
I was taught that they had light to medium brown skin in general, though were ruled by various dynasties from the area, brining anatolian hitties and Nubians and Kush*tes into the mix. Of couse, US education may be different.

It is known, for example that the Napoleon lead French were responsible for defacing the Sphynx at Giza.

It is known that the sphynx's face was badly damaged back at least as far as the 1500s, from various arabic accounts, exactly when and who damaged it is genuinly uncertain. The Napoleon gag is a tourist's tale, though if you are a French tourist, then you will probably be told that it was either the Mameluks or British soldiers in WWI, using it for target practice to ease their boredom.
Arrrgh!!"
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 12:32

Originally posted by CywrThe generaly taught thing is not that they were non-african, its that they didn't look like Nigerians.
I was taught that they had light to medium brown skin in general, though were ruled by various dynasties from the area, brining anatolian hitties and Nubians and Kush*tes into the mix. Of couse, US education may be different.

[/QUOTE

you may be correct that it is differant in the US  but it Canada it isn't -I was taught the same thing.

you may be correct that it is differant in the US  but it Canada it isn't -I was taught the same thing.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:37

Originally posted by sandman1347

Again the question is, why is this so hard to believe.  Egypt was in Africa!

Sumer was in Asia. You are not going to use that as evidence that Sumerians looked Chinese. Are You?

It was in a dry, hot, desert region.  All evidence points to a dark skinned indiginous populace. 

That is not the same as "African-American" look if that is what you are thinking

Believe me buddy,

You use believe me a lot. History is not a religion that people just believe in. It is based on evidence. You need to provide some credible evidence  

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 16:12
It is known, for example that the Napoleon lead French were responsible for defacing the Sphynx at Giza. If you do not believe Africans or African Americans then read up on reports from Europeans.

Which europeans wrote reports about this? This would be interesting to see since there are actual sketches of the Sphinx that pre-date Napoleon that clearly show the nose missing.

Historically speaking there are also some preserved records of early Greeks describing the population that they encountered upon journeying to Egypt as black skinned

Here is were i have to ask the silly question, just how black do you think the ancient Egyptians were?
Dark like the Egyptians today, or dark as Denzel Washington is?

Most likely here you are refering to Herodotus who said that Egyptians he encountered were dark skinned(melanchroes). He also claimed that Colchians from the east coast of the Black Sea that he encountered to be melanchroes and that they were the same as Egyptians.

You made the statement that Africans have nothing to show for their past. This is indicative of the way that people in the Western world are educated to believe in white European superiority.

Let me remind you this is not my original statement

There have been authors to attempt to claim the entirety of Egypt's history as being one of black rule. This is not acurate as foreigners ruled from 670 B.C. on and at intermittent periods in between.

There were foreign rulers before this date as well.

That being said this practice by black authors is a result of the way that blacks raised in the West, upon investigating their history, become alarmed at the amount of information that was left out of their education and end up not trusting any of it.

That is no reason for them to have a knee-jerk reactions and resort to revisionist history as some black leaders are doing today in colleges.

Do you believe that the greeks raided the Great Library of Alexandria?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>