Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Game Designers here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game Designers here?
    Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:04
I've noticed that a few members have posted ideas for games that they have created.

I also design games now and then.

I think that it would be nice if everyone who has designed a game or is designing a game could post here their name and the kinds of genres that they are interested in. Maybe be can organizing game testings on AE.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 19:37
I can only design boardgames. I've tried with some easy programing such as Gamemaker but it's near to imposible to design strategy turn-based games that way, so I'm now focused in creating Diplomacy variants with historical accuracy.

I have a few semideveloped ones: Taifa (in medieval Iberia) is the most advanced one. But I'm not yet satisfied: I'm such a perfectionist.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 05:39
Could you show them to us? Maybe the community can help you with it then?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 05:58

The idea that I at least could help Maju with the history of medieval Iberia is stretching things a bit.

However, the general thought seems to be OK.

Way in the past I developed a few board games for the hell of it, including one for rival Mafia families taking over different crime sectors in US cities.

With computers I spent some time doing statistical analyses of various sports for simulation purposes, and somewhere I used to have some Delphi code for projecting 3D trajectories of different kinds of ball depending on speed and spin and suchlike. And I had a program suite that allowed for players breeding virtual racehorses and racing them with a simple graphic presentation.

But I'm not sure I could find them again - especially since I now have two PCs with no floppy disk drive, and a stack of floppy disk archives.

I gave up with computer games once the graphics started to get too complex. And indeed, I've not tried to develop any online games since the web arrived.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:14
This is my last draft: a Diplomacy game placed in early Anglo Saxon Britain. You may maybe help me with it (for instance, suggesting the Celtic name of Lancaster or a better allocation of centers, etc.)

It would have 8 powers (5 Anglo-Saxon ones and 3 native ones), which are shown in diferent colors. Brown named one-center powers are minor states that would be conrolled via alliances, decided by vote (or Influence Points' investment) every Winter season.

This feature is something I have been working on for some time and it is pretty well finished: each major power (player) has a number of IPs that is equal to the centers it controls. These can be invested (basically) in securing the alliance of other minor powers, which would then be fully controlled by that player for the whole game-year. Voting is secret. An aditional rule is that each minor power has a 1/2 vote for its former ally or overlord, preventing that way a tie and the subsequent fall in CD/neutrality of the minor power. You can stab your minor allies/vassals but that has a major penalty: you lose all your IPs for a whole year and half of them (rounded up) for the following year (minors distrust you). If a minor power reaches a number of centers (normally 3) it becomes a major power and a new player must be assigned to it. I mention all this because I will implement this feature in all my variants (or so I think now).

In this case, I may give minor powers an ethnical vote for their connationals, so native minors (most of them) would have a 1/3 vote for other native powers (Dumnonia, Rheged and Pictland) and the Anglo-Saxon minors (Kent, Lindsey, Mid Anglia, East Anglia and Meonwara) would have a 1/3 vote for the major Anglo-Saxon powers. In other cases I may also use this kind of ethnical/religious preferences.

Btw, I can't name it Heptarchy because the name is already in use (another, not very good variant), so I'm thinking on something on the line of Britannia. I am also doubtful on the starting year (601?), many names, initial army/fleet allocation (or partial builds in Winter 600, forcing one to be an army), wether Anglo Hwicca existed already or was it still a Celtic territory (Caer Gloui), as I put it in the draft map, etc.

So your help can be very useful.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:46
This is one of my best guess for Taifa. I am still madurating this variant and I want to make some changes before launching it.

Grey (and light purple) powers are minor powers. Three of them have two centers, because they were relatively powerful but doesn't seem adequate anyhow to make them playable.

The IP rules I mentioned before would apply here as well. The main ethnic marker is Muslim/Christian. But while Muslim powers are allowd to build in any Muslim center (the Caliphate had just disappeared), Christian powers can only do it in their ethnical centers. Palencia (between Leon and Castile) being Leonese and and Bayonne (north of Pamplona) being Pamplonese.

IPs are allowed to be used also for "colonization" purposes, that is: making a center national. Such centers would keep their original ethnicity as well (not enough time in the game for in depth ethnic cleansing or cultural assimilation). This function would be "expensive": at least 3 IPs per center.

The game would start near 1036 (after the death of Sancho the Great of Pamplona and not much after the end of the Caliphate).

One big problem here is the relatively lack of space for naval warfare. I plan to make all start only with armies, with two exceptions: Denia (which was a naval power) and Seville. But most diplomacy players like naval warfare and convoys. This is something I'd like to improve without losing historical accuracy.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:03
Here there is another unfinished proyect: Pirate Diplomacy.

The main problem is that (even stripping Spain of some of its posesions - corrupt or unruly governors) and making most of its troops armies, it is still too powerful. The other problem is that France (blue) and England (red) are too close to each other not to be tempted to stab the other, while the one-center Netherlands (orange) is surely to small to do much with it.

It needs a total reconsideration, so I have it abandoned by the moment.

In any case, the pirate fleet/s (grey or black) would be controlled by secret vote by France, England and the Netherlands. Spain having no say in that.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:06
Another unfinished draft: "1400".

Actually it is pretty much developed.

Here I was thinking in allowing dynastic policies, such as the Habsburgs deveolped but this part is not well polished.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:23
I already posted about the tv-game in another topic.

Another game I more or less made, a few years ago, was a dictator card game. I made that game after I found dictator cards on some side on the net, intended as parody on another card game. There were no real rules for that game, so I created them, and also greatly expanded the number of cards.

Of the 2 games I made so far the tv game is definately the better.

Currently I'm also thinking of a game set in a banana republic, in which the objective is to become president. I have no real rules yet, it's still in a very early phase. Some ideas I had
* becoming president is possible in 3 different ways: control the parliament, controll the supreme court or control a large part of the army and stage a coup.
* The map will be the capital city (Colon). I was thinking of making the city out of cards, so you can have a new map every game. Special buildings will include the presidental palace, the parliament building, the supreme court building, several barracks, an airfield, police stations, embassies, the national bank and other banks. Also there will be enough cards to make industrial parks, residential neighorhoods, slums, etc.
* At the beginning of the game most characters (characters are people like mp's, generals, judges, mafia, police-officers, etc.) will be gray, which means they're not aligned to any player. It will be possible to get them on your side, o.a. by bribing. You can also bribe or kill other player's characters. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this (first I need to find out how players can get money and such). If, say, 7 out of 10 judges is on your side, they can depose the current president (who is unbribable, but perhaps you can kill him, I don't know that yet), and thus win the game. Other ways to achieve this is to control a majority of parliament or the army.

I think it has potential to become a nice game, but it's still all very vague. Suggestions are more than welcome.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:24
Maybe you can introduce a traffic of influence element.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:31

St. Martin and St. Eustins (sp?) were (still are Dutch), and they controled a few islands in the Bahamas at one point. So why not give them those?
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by Cywr

St. Martin and St. Eustins (sp?) were (still are Dutch), and they controled a few islands in the Bahamas at one point. So why not give them those?

It would be a little artificial (they are truly tiny) but it is a possibility. In this regard, I've thought on giving one offboard (unconquerable) SC to each power. Anyhow, it has too few powers. Less than 7 powers usually yields rather poor games unless all players are very good (concerned with power balance and so).

Another possibility is to start more advanced the 17th century, when French and English posessions were larger. I picked up precisely the moment (can't recall the date right now) when the Dutch take posession of Curaao, creating some bad feeling in all the other powers.

It's not probably the game I'm going to focus on anyhow when I retake these variants. The other variants are much more developed, guess I just posted it because I thought it was original. But, as I said before, needs lots of reworking, even if it is going to be a 4 player game.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:00
You could add the Danes and give them the Virgin Islands (US Virgin Islands were Danish untill the US bought them in the early 1900s). Theres another albeit very minor power for you.
Maybe different pirate factions to spice things up?
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:55

You could add the Danes and give them the Virgin Islands (US Virgin Islands were Danish untill the US bought them in the early 1900s). Theres another albeit very minor power for you.
Maybe different pirate factions to spice things up?

Yeap, the Danes held St. Thomas but much later, at the end of the century. It was a very small posession anyhow.

Pirates were actually many many factions (one ship = one faction), that's why I put them under vote control by the prvateer powers that actually supported them (at times). When Pirates get Jamaica they would have two fleets and that may mean that one is then ordered by a British-Dutch alliance and the other by the French or whatever other combo of votes.

But the porblem is on the overall concept of Diplomacy playing, which needs some sort of balance provided by . Maybe the best solution would be to play it in all America (with New Amsterdam as second Dutch center and more centers for French and English in North America plus a 5th Portugese player in Brazil). But that would be much more than just Pirate Diplomacy. It would still have only 5 players, with one of them (Dutch) being pretty weak and spread out.

I truly would prefer if you gave me an opinion on the game on Medieval Britain and a cool Gaelic name for Lancaster (or equivalent city). I think it has a lot more possibilities: powers are balanced, it has some cool naval warfare possibilities and the scenario may be appealing for players with English/Celtic cultural background (a clear majority).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 05:09

From my own local part of the world:

What you have as Salisbury should then have been Sarum (or possibly even something older).

The Meonwara were a people (Jutes) rather than a place, and they settled in the area between Fareham and Emsworth, more or less where you have put 'Portsmouth'.

Where you have Meonwara is Winchester.

It's a bit awkward that you appear to have original Celtic names one side of the border, but are using modern English names on the other side. 'Potsmouth' was in fact 'Portsmutha' (with 'th' being a single character) - though I would have thought Chichester and Southampton* were probably more important at that time than Portsmouth.

I haven't been able to find a useful map with Anglo-Saxon place names on it, or even a list of them, but if you want to sweat it out you might try comparing the names in the original language transcription of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles available at http://www.georgetown.edu/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/asc/a.h tml

with the modern English translation at http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/Anglo/part1.html

* But then I'm biassed in favour of Southampton (Clausentum to the Romans)

Edited by gcle2003
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 05:20

Second thought.

For some of these places, why not use the Roman names? They were probably still in common use.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 06:21
I notice the isle of Man uses the modern Welsh name in that map. Any reason for this?

Whilst its thought that at one point a 'Welsh' (perhaps better put Brythonic) speaking people did live on the island, they began to be displaced by Goidelic speakers from ireland from around the 1st century onwards, up untill the 800s, when the Norse took over the island for about a century.

The Manx Name is Ellan Vannin/Mannin (?), but that might be a later medival varient. In the 600s, it, together with Angelsey were known as the Menavian Islands by the Northumbrians.
The name is supposed to derive Mannanan (god of the sea). Not sure what would be the best name, depends on the time peroid, but a contemporary Welsh name seems a little off.
Arrrgh!!"
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 10:58

Why is it I can find the Anglo-Saxon name for a little village like Nursling (Hnutscilling) but not for somewhere like Winchester?

Later:

Winchester is apparently Wintancaester.

A few more culled from here and there.

London - Ludenwic

Southampton - Suthhamtun (with a funny character for the 'th')

Windsor - Windlesora

St Albans - Waetlingacaester

Leicester - Laegracaestra

Edited by gcle2003
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 11:07
Eh, isn't Winchester the Saxon name then?
The Roman name was Venta Belgarum.
Arrrgh!!"
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 11:26

Eh, isn't Winchester the Saxon name then?
The Roman name was Venta Belgarum.

I sneaked an edit in before I noticed your post. Sorry.

Winchester is the English name.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>