Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Practice Game Diplomacy 1600--DipAE02

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Practice Game Diplomacy 1600--DipAE02
    Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 11:31

This is the practice game for the benefit of new players so that they can understand how to move and the pace of the game.

We will play one complete year, from Spring 1600 to Spring 1601. At that year we will start the game with the real country designations.

Realpolitik
If you don't have Realpolitik, you can download it here: http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Think of this program as a boardgame set that enforces the rules. It is very important to have; it will help you understand the rules much faster.

You need to install the 1600 variant. The RP files for the 1600 variant:
1600 RP files

Extract the files to the 'Variants' folder within the Realpolitik directory.

If you need help using the program, don't hesitate to ask. I am currently preparing some tutorials for the program, and you will see them here soon.

Country-player table
This is countries' designations for the practice game.

Ottoman Empire     Emperor Barbarossa
Poland     glce2003
Denmark JaliscoLancer
England Kilikya
Russia     Maju
Habsburg Mixcoatl
Sweden     morticia
France     Rider
Spain     thediplomat

Order Ettiquete
Try to send orders at the time that you receive the results of the last turn. This will keep the game going and make it more enjoyable for you.

You can always send another set of order before the deadline. If you do so, make it obvious to me that they are a second order by putting in the subject line of the email: "set number #" with the number of the set there. I will use whatever set number is bigger to process your order.

How to write orders
Each turn starts with an order. Write the order of the moves of your units in the following way:

<Unit Type> <Starting Location>-<target Location>
Army Castille-Navarre

To hold your army or fleet in place write
<Unit Type> <Starting Location> HOLD
Fleet Gascony HOLD

To support a move write
<Unit Type> S[UPPORT] <supported Unit Type starting location>-<target location>
Army Novgorod S Army Moscow-Tula

Feel free to use abreviation: A-army, F-fleet, H-hold, S-support. To get the proper abreviations for spaces on the board, please consult the information in Realpolitik by clicking Window->info.

Missing player rules

To make the move of the missing player more fair, I want everyone to send me your desired moves to the Ottoman Empire as if you controled it. I will count each order as a vote.

In case of a tie, I will randomly select the move of the most popular orders. If I only get one order for Ottoman Empire, I will use it. So it is in your best interest to send Ottoman orders too

Edited by hugoestr
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 11:40
Deadline for first orders:
OCT 24 8:00 -5 GMT.

That is
1:00 PM GMT
8:00 AM U.S. Eastern Time
5:00 PM U.S. Pacific Time

That is 8:00 local time , U.S. Eastern Time.

Edited by hugoestr
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 08:30

i see your deadline is sunday...it won't be a problem now but i am always up in the yayla on weekends and never connect

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 09:41
Then after this turn I will move it into the week
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 10:16
Why did you give so long deadlines for the practice game? 2 days per turn should suffice. We just need to find out how to move the units and so on, no diplomacy expected. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 10:22
It was because of the weekend. I have access to computers during the week

Edited by hugoestr
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 14:09
Well. it is just two/three quick turns with just game cards moving and nothing else.. i don't believe that any battles will occur.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 15:40
Good Day:

rider wrote: ".. i don't believe that any battles will occur."

Then, I propose that we create some battles so I can get a better feel for when to support and/or convoy, etcetera.... I am still a little unclear as to how or when you get to build an army or a fleet. I think maybe re-creating those situations could help me. Just a suggestion!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 19:20
Hopefully the year-round micro-game will have most of these situations. We will definitively move around and build at in the winter turn. Supports are likely to happen but if you want to try order the following:

A Finland - Ingria
A Estonia supports A Finland Ingria

I can then order A Novgorod - Ingria and you win the battle (2 vs. 1). This is a good example of support.

Convoys are less likely to happen. But it is up to the players that have fleets. In any case they can't happen before the fall, because fleets must be in sea provinces to be able to convoy. Order F Stockholm-Baltic Sea, and I'll tell you how to convoy in the fall.

Retreats are another thing that may not happen in the first year. When a defending unit is defeated by a stronger attack, it is declared to be dislodged and it must retreat to any adjacent vacant province to which it can move normally (no convoys, fleets must follow coasts/seas, armies can't enter seas). Aditionally that province must have not been the scenario of a battle in that turn. When a unit can't retreat it is automatically disbanded. You can also voluntarily disband it in this case.

The GM will provide for special short retreat turns when needed.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 19:42
More technicalities on supports and convoys:

Support (S):

A support is cut when the unit ordered to support is attacked by another unit, diferent from the one against which the support is intended.

You can't cut support provided by your own units nor you can order valid support against your own units.

Convoy (C):

The convoy has many simmilarities with the support order. But also some notable diferences. Like when supporting, a fleet convoying does not move. Also, as with support, there must be two coherent orders: one for the convoying fleet and another one for the convoyed army (fleets can't be convoyed).

The originalities of the convoy are the following:
  • A convoy is not cut like a support by simply attacking the unit providing it. To cut a convoy the opponent must efectively dislodge the convoying fleet.
  • Several contiguous fleets (as many as you can muster, yours or of your allies) can make a chain convoy. Each fleet must then be ordered to convoy the army from its origin to its destination. The army is ordered normally to move.
Example: England and Spain agree to convoy English A Scotland to Morocco. They have enough contiguous fleets in North Sea, English Channel and Mid Atlantic Ocean. The correct orders would be as follow:
F North Sea convoys A Scotland-Morocco
F English Channel convoys A Scotland-Morocco
F Mid Atlantic Ocean convoys A Scotland-Morocco
A Scotland-Morocco
  • Two or more diferent routes can be provided for the same convoy. This prevents the convoy being cut by dislodgement of one of the fleets.
  • This is an odd rule: convoy takes precedence over land route. Example:
A Normandy-Spanish Netherlands
F English Channel convoys A Normandy-Spanish Netherlands

... means that A Normandy is making a sea trip into Antwerp and not a land march into Brussels. This can have some odd efects but it is very rare to find it. Most normally the fleet would be supporting and not convoying.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 07:58

I'm never sure if a fleet convoying an army also supports it?

That is really three questions.

Does it support automatically (not unreasonable)?

Does it support if ordered to 'convoy and support'?

Can it not support at all?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 08:05

I believe it can't support at all, because it is basically jsut transporting and the fleet never leaves the province as in supporting the fleet is inglined to move to the province to support it.

But fro convoying to work, morticia, you should aswell know that:

A ?????Bar???? - Stockholm

F Stockholm - Baltic Sea

or else it will not work and on the next turn:

A Stockholm - Prussia

F Baltic Sea convoys A Stocholm - Prussia.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm never sure if a fleet convoying an army also supports it?

That is really three questions.

Does it support automatically (not unreasonable)?

Does it support if ordered to 'convoy and support'?

Can it not support at all?

The last one: one unit can only do one thing at a time and any unit can only do one of these four things: hold (default), move, support or (eXclussive OR) convoy (only fleets).

If you order a unit to do two diferent things it will do nothing (misordered).

So, no: convoying fleets cannot support in any case.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:14
Thank you, Maju, for the thorough explanation. I will follow your recommendations.

Thanks Rider. Now, when you say order:

A Stockholm - Prussia
F Baltic Sea convoys A Stocholm - Prussia

does that mean that Sweden will then have a fleet and an army in Prussia? Assuming another country is in Prussia or has ordered an army to Prussia, then nobody moves?

"Morty

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:18

If it works out, then your army moves to prussia, and your fleet stays at Baltic Sea. If another country does the same thing the nnothing will happen.

If you would convoy it to Livonia then on the next turn you could attack with the army prussia, supporting the army with your navy.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:30
Got it! thanks
"Morty

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 15:43
Originally posted by rider

If it works out, then your army moves to prussia, and your fleet stays at Baltic Sea. If another country does the same thing the nnothing will happen.

Well, not exactly: a battle happens. This has some importance if a nearby unit has to retreat: you cannot retreat to the scenario of a recent battle, as everything is supposed to happen +/- simultaneously).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 02:32
Well, that yes, but it isn't totally connected to the scenario now.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 00:21
what is and how do you "blitz"?
"Morty

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 02:14
Well, I have no idea what it is in the game, but I believe that it is in the form of some quick attack plan. It must be a strategy as there are four different types of moves only (convoy, support, move, hold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>