Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 14:02

Originally posted by Sarmata

was he buried with any weapons, maybe his horse?

Dont know the details. Cementary was discovered near the city of Giecz in Greater Poland. Archeologists were more concerned about the body of woman whom they called "princess" because she had a lot of interesting jewelry.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 14:13

Sarmata here is for you article about last discovery in Giecz:

Logo GW: 4 kB

WTOREK
18 padziernika 2005

NR 243 (4946)
www.gazeta.pl/poznan
NAUKA. Nowe znaleziska archeologw
Sensacja w Gieczu Fot. piercienia: 45,3 kB

Kruszec, z ktrego wykonano znalezione ozdoby jest wyjtkowo wysokiej prby
Fot. ANDRZEJ MONCZAK / AG
Na kobiecy grb z bogat bi­u­te­ri natrafili archeolodzy podczas te­go­rocznych wykopalisk w Gie­czu. Po­twier­dzaj one wysok ran­g gro­du, jednej z ksicych stolic w okre­sie pierwszych Pias­tw

DAINA KOLBUSZEWSKA

Badania prowadzone byy na cmen­tarzysku wczesnoredniowiecznym (da­to­wanym na II po. XI i XII w.), na ktrym chowano m.in. mieszkacw grodu w Gie­czu.

Do tej pory zbadalimy cz cmentarzyska i odsonilimy ok. 170 po­chwkw, z ktrych wikszo ulega cz­ciowemu zniszczeniu mwi Te­re­sa Krysztofiak, jeden z archeologw pra­cu­jcych w Gieczu. Stanowisko znajduje si bowiem na polu uprawnym, a groby znajduj si pytko pod powierzchn i wystarczy gboka orka, by je naruszy. W tym roku archeolodzy chcieli prze­bada cz cmentarzyska od strony znaj­dujcego si w pobliu niegdy je­zio­ra. To co tam znaleli, okazao si spo­rym zaskoczeniem.

Odsonilimy m.in. czciowo zni­szczony grb kobiety, ktr na ostat­ni drog wyposaono nie tylko w przedmioty czsto spotykane, jak np. n elazny czy grzebie kociany, ale przede wszystkim w wyjtkow biu­te­ri mwi Teresa Krysztofiak. To srebrny piercie oraz unikatowa bran­so­leta z grubego, srebrnego drutu, za­ko­czona gwkami wy wylicza.

Najprawdopodobniej ozdoby te zostay sprowadzone z pnocy Eu­ro­py. Status pochowanej w tym grobie ko­biety musia by wyjtkowy. Na­zwa­limy j ksiniczk mwi Kry­sztofiak.

Prawdopodobnie z tego grobu po­chodzi te kilkanacie znalezionych w jego okolicy koralikw z krysztau gr­skie­go z rozsypanego naszyjnika.

Odkrycia potwierdzaj znaczenie Gie­cza. Jako siedziba ksica, a po­tem siedziba kasztelanii, odgrywa on niepolednie znaczenie w okresie kszta­to­wania si pastwa polskiego mwi Krysztofiak. Prcz grobu ksi­ni­czki ciekawy by te grb ze szkieletem gignata mczyzny o wzrocie si­gajcym ok. dwch metrw.

Prace wykopaliskowe na sta­no­wis­ku prowadzone s ju od 1999 r. przez archeologw z Rezerwatu Archeo­lo­gicz­nego w Gieczu (Oddzia Muzeum Pierw­szych Piastw na Lednicy), pod kierunkiem Elbiety Indyckiej. W tym roku badania finansowaa Fundacja Sla­via, dziki ktrej oprcz studentw UAM w wykopaliskach brali udzia rw­nie modzi adepci archeologii z USA i Kanady.

Fot. bransolety: 42,2 kB

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 14:32
Considering the fact that the jewelry is mostly of nordic origin, it is possible that maybe some of the wariors from Giecz were between the slavic wariors who plundered Hedeby in 1066, one of the most important viking trading centres. Actually most of the swords and axes which were found in Giecz were made in Scandinavia. On the other hand, as I have written in the past, Slavic wariors and pirates were use to raid and plunder scandinavian shores. In fact Baltic Sea was more dominated by the slavic vikings than by the norses. So far iv read the norse were afraid to sail in the area of the Rugen island (or Rugia) which was a base of famous slavic pirates. Later when Poles subdued Jomsborg polish ruler was nominating the jarl of this famous viking base and there was even more slavs than scandinavians. King Olaf Trygvasson when came back to Norway to regain his crown took with him a lot of Slavic wariors from Pomerania and Poland.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 01:03
the ring at the bottom reminds me of scythian jewellery mainly becuz it looks like 2 serpent heads facing eachother
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 03:25
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

The "nord" look that you are referring to is actually the East Baltid subracial characteristic.

Whatever. I've reached the following conclussion regarding European types: there are Nordics and Mediterraneans basically. And this may be more of appearence than anything else. I don't believe much in those numerous racial subtypes like Alpine, Dinaric, Armenoid, East-Baltic, Atlanto-Mediterranean, Dalic, etc. What the heck means Atlanto-Mediterranean, btw? It would seem like it is a Mediterranean type but it is rather the dominant type in Western Europe or so they say.

I made my own regional additions of European PCs, and the case seems to be that, apart of a few more marked regions, like Basque Country, Lappland or Southern Russia, all Europeans are (primarily) either PC2+PC3+PC4 (Nordic) or PC1+PC4 (Mediterranean) or a balanced mix (mostly Britons, I think). That fits quite well with the simple eye perception of fairer and darker types as you move in the north-south axis.

I know well that Eastern Slavs are supposed to be mostly of the Eastern Baltic type and Southern Slavs mainly of the Dinaric and Alpine types, while Western Slavs (Poles, etc.) are a more mixed but still northern looking type.

What I meant to say is simply that they would look much like the Poles and Belarussians you can find today.

If I had to generalize and over-simplify, I would describe the typical Slavic type as somewhat round-headed with light brown or blond hair, light-colored, somewhat narrow eyes, with high cheekbones and broad features and of medium height and stocky build.  This doesn't really describe the classic "Nordic" type, which is taller and longer-headed, with sharp features.

That's what they say... but I'm not so sure that East Baltic type describes so well the original Slavic type and I'm also not so sure that East Baltics are much shorter than Nordics.

In any case, they were not Tatar-looking.

Anyone who actually knows Slavs knows at least a few who are "Tatar-looking."  However, they would be in the minority.  BTW, I'm guessing you don't know many Slavs in Spain, if that's where you're writing from.  I'm a Polish-American, originally from Chicago, so I know what Slavs look like!
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 03:27
Originally posted by Mosquito

Considering the fact that the jewelry is mostly of nordic origin, it is possible that maybe some of the wariors from Giecz were between the slavic wariors who plundered Hedeby in 1066, one of the most important viking trading centres. Actually most of the swords and axes which were found in Giecz were made in Scandinavia. On the other hand, as I have written in the past, Slavic wariors and pirates were use to raid and plunder scandinavian shores. In fact Baltic Sea was more dominated by the slavic vikings than by the norses. So far iv read the norse were afraid to sail in the area of the Rugen island (or Rugia) which was a base of famous slavic pirates. Later when Poles subdued Jomsborg polish ruler was nominating the jarl of this famous viking base and there was even more slavs than scandinavians. King Olaf Trygvasson when came back to Norway to regain his crown took with him a lot of Slavic wariors from Pomerania and Poland.

Now THAT'S interesting.  It's good that I'm actually learning something here.  Thank you.
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 03:29
Originally posted by Sarmata

the ring at the bottom reminds me of scythian jewellery mainly becuz it looks like 2 serpent heads facing eachother

This should come as no surprise, because the Scythian style of craftsmanship was widespread throughout north-central Eurasia.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 06:20
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

Anyone who actually knows Slavs knows at least a few who are "Tatar-looking."  However, they would be in the minority.  BTW, I'm guessing you don't know many Slavs in Spain, if that's where you're writing from.  I'm a Polish-American, originally from Chicago, so I know what Slavs look like!

There are not so many Slavs in my area (Basque Country), though there are Romanians, that look very much alike. Anyhow, in the mediatic world of today we can see many images from peoples from anywhere. I've never met a Bushmen in person but I know very well how they do look like.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 11:37

Other things which were discovered in Giecz today and in the past. everything dated on end of X and first half of XI century:

Golden Helm made of iron, copper and covered with gold:

Arms, swords spears and axes:

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 20:28
During Boleslaw Chrobry's rule in Poland, he supplied his nephew reinforcements for his conquest in England, his nephew was none other then Canute the Great.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 14:29
I know. There are records that many Poles went with Canute to England. Canute himself was halfpolish.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 05:36
he was indeed, it was Boleslaw's sister Swietoslawa who gave birth to Canute.
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 08:51
I wanna know about Ivan Ivanov.Was he a real person or a myth.
Jai Badri Vishal
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 12:38
Jan Jishka????????????????????????
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 12:53

Jan Ziska was a knight from Czechia.

HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 17:47

The pictures that Mosquito look very much like Nordic weapons, except for the helmet. That looks genuinly Slavic. The sword mainly looks Viking though out of the lot.... Are they Slavic? Were ancient Slavs famous for their archery? I have an Ancient Slavic arrowhead by the way... It was found in around Kiyv, Ukraine:

Edited by HistoryGuy
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 02:07
I dont remember an Ivan ivanov
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 07:26
Anyone know any Polish knights?
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 09:31
Zawisza Czarny, most famous Polish Knight.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 15:17

Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Anyone know any Polish knights?

Zawisza Czarny

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Zawisza Czarny z Garbowa (Zawisza the Black from Garbw, also known as The Black Knight), (c.1379 in Garbw, Poland - 1428 in Golubac, Serbia), Sulima Coat of Arms, was a famous Polish mediæval knight and diplomat.

Zawisza Czarny was a famous Polish knight, winner of many tournaments, a symbol of a knight and a model of all knightly virtues. His father was Biernat from Garbw, mother is unknown. His nickname certainly comes from his appearance and not like later believed from a black armor. He was apparently dark haired and had a dark complexion.

The family village, Garbw, is in the vicinity of Sandomierz. The masters of Garbw used the coat of arms Sulima. It was a black eagle with the yellow background and underneath three stones on a red field.

In 1410 he took part in the battle of Grunwald against the Teutonic Order, after the battle he proposed a peace treaty between the Polish King Jagieo and the Hungarian King Sigismund of Luxembourg (the 1411 treaty of Lubowla). In 1412 he accompanied King Jagieo to the monarchs meeting in Buda (presently part of Budapest, Hungary) where he participated also in a big tournament.

Zawisza between 1410 and 1420 married Barbara Rozen daughter of Piotr Rozen, of Gryf Coat of Arms. Piotr Rozen built a castle in Roznw and gave it as dowry to Zawisza. In 1414 Zawisza led the Polish delegation to the sobor in Constance.

In 1416 he went with Sigismund the King of Germany and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire to Aragon where he participated in a tournament in Perpignan. He defeated there the famous knight John of Aragon. In 1417 he became the subprefect (starosta) of Kruszwica. In 1419 he went to Sigismund again, as a deputy of King Jagieo, to ask for the hand of Ofka, the widow of Sigismunds brother Wenceslaus King of Bohemia. He stayed with Sigismund who was fighting the Husites. After Sigismunds defeat at Kutn Hora, Zawisza was captured by the Czechs but released soon for a high ransom. In 1420 he became the subprefect (starosta) of Spisz.

In 1423 on occasion of the coronation of Sonka, Jagieos fourth wife, Zawisza gives a feast in Krakw for the Kings of Rome, Poland and Denmark (Eric) and for the Masovian and Silesian princes as well as for Louis of Bavaria and others.

He left probably with the King Sigismund to fight the Turks and in 1428 during the Battle of Golubac on the Danube (Serbia) he was captured by the Turks and probably murdered. After his death he was praised by the great Polish 15th century historian, Jan Dugosz, by the poet and Cannon of Gniezno Jakub winka and by the King Sigismund of Luxembourg.

Zawisza became for many Poles one of the most popular folks heroes thank to his exceptional bravery and proverbial reliability and loyalty. Famous is the Polish saying: "Polegaj jak na Zawiszy" (Rely on him like on Zawisza). This motto also became part of the Polish scouts oath.

Other knights:

Przedpeko Kropidowski of Dryja was a Polish 15th century knight. According to the chronicle of Jan Dugosz, during the final stage of the Battle of Grunwald he took the German knight Georg Gersdorff into captivity, together with his banner of Saint George and 40 men.

Powaa z Tczewa (Powaa of Tczew) of Powaa Coat of Arms was a famous Polish knight of the Middle Ages. He took part in the Battle of Grunwald of 1410. He was also one of the Polish knights to represent the king at the tournament at Buda held to commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Lubowla.

Zyndram z Maszkowic (Zyndram of Maszkowice, ca. 1355ca. 1414) was a Polish 14th and 15th century knight. His coat of arms was Soce.

Zyndram was first mentioned in 1388 as a mayor of Jaso. He bought the post from certain Jakusz Trzop for 100 grzywnas. He was also the Sword-bearer of the Crown. In February 1390 Zyndram took part in the military campaign against the Teutonic Order. The following year he was yet again called to arms and took part in several battles against the Order in Lithuania and northern Poland.

He was ordered to organise the defence of a nodal castle of Kamieniec Litewski, east of the Biaowiea Forest. Probably for successfully fulfilling this task he was promoted to the starost of Jaso. In 1409 Zyndram was called to arms by king Wadysaw Jagieo to take part in his offensive against the Teutons. During the famous Battle of Grunwald of 1410 Zyndram was the Grand Camp Leader of the Crown and commander of the Banner of Krakw, composed of elite troops and holding the banner of the whole army. According to Historiæ Polonicæ by Ioannes Longinus, it was the unit commanded by Zyndram that killed the Teutonic commander, Ulrich von Jungingen.

Przecaw Lanckoroski of Brzezie of Zadora Coat of Arms (died June 10, 1531) was a notable member of the Polish szlachta, a knight and a supposed first hetman of the Cossacks in service of Poland, as well as a landowner and starost of Chmielnik.

He was born in Brzezie, to a family of Stanisaw Lanckoroski and Anna ne Kurozwcka. In his youth he was sent abroad by his parents and travelled through France, Italy, Hungary, German states, as well as to Holy Land, where he was awarded the title of Knight of Christ's Grave. Upon his return to Poland he joined the Polish Army, where he served under Konstanty Ostrogski. Awarded the title of starost of Chmielnik in modern Ukraine, together with his fellow starost of Cherkassy he organized several units out of local Zaporozhan Cossacks and lead them to various wars against the Ottoman Empire and Crimean Khanate. He gained much fame as one of the last knights and a hero who reached Belgrade in 1516 and Ochakov in 1528. Although never awarded the title of hetman, he s sometimes mistakenly treated as the first hetman of the Ukrainian Cossacks.

Edited by Mosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>