Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by knjaz

Yea axeman, it's a very old theory, i can read russian and that map is absoleete, kelts never stretched so far east, some people on this forum already provided evidence for that, check previous messages! 

Correct me if I am wrong but Celts reached Balkans and even moved to Asia at some point of time.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 01:43
Well, they were even by that time a very old nation, that came into europ from kavkasian and estern parts in about the time the ice age was over.  They setledcentral europe, but they only passed the balkans. Someone already stated that roman source that said "Venetians look similar to kelts, but speak a different language". He noticed the difference, many of his contemporaries did not. Today it is prooven from archeological finds. That there was a difference between Kelts and Venetians. Look at the map that axeman posted: for the (south) balkans it is quite right. What I comented is from a Hungarian map, but there are others that show quite the same picture. P.S.: Sorry axeman if I insulted you in the previous article, I was writing it late last night and I was tired of everything! I'll erase the last part. Regards!
Everyone has dreams, but only the boldest reach out to grab them.
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:25

so active discusions Wink but i've read it all ... huh.

To Knjaz
You wrote that:
Nestor's cronicle of Russian history was not the first and not the best description of Russia in that time. It lacks many facts and some things are interpreted in a "rather strange" way. It was one of many written in that time.
Probably it was not the first& it was not only Nestor who wrote it & of course it contains some  inaccuracies   but it is the ansiest that we have  ... If You know any other sources (historical) about Russian history previous to "Povest vremennih let" please give me informations on it. Thanx.

Axeman.

I've heard some teories that modern Lithuanian is closest to pro-IndoEuropean language, but when I come to Lithuania (it happens very usually) and hear Ltihuanian speach I can say (IMHO) that pronouncation&vocabulary are very effected by Slavic language (Polish of course). By the way, Lithuanian pronouncation  is very close to our Latgalian. What do you think about it ?

Axeman wrote :
Varjags lived in South Baltic coast around Lithuania???!!!!
There are such theories. Not only on coast of Lithuania but at the coast of Latvia too ... Varjags/Vigings in the mining of pirates/floating warriors-merchants were not only scandinavian people (Scandinavians was the largest part of them), but it was the other local population odf Baltic sea coast too - Curoneans, for example.

Edited by John Lenon - 18-Apr-2007 at 03:30
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 04:06
Originally posted by John Lenon

Axeman.

I've heard some teories that modern Lithuanian is closest to pro-IndoEuropean language, but when I come to Lithuania (it happens very usually) and hear Ltihuanian speach I can say (IMHO) that pronouncation&vocabulary are very effected by Slavic language (Polish of course). By the way, Lithuanian pronouncation  is very close to our Latgalian. What do you think about it ?

Yeah, It might be so. Lithuanians certainly had long history of interface with various Slavic languages - Belorussian in Grand Duchy times, Polish in commonwealth and Russian in tsarist times (Latvia wasn't affected by Russification as much as Lithuania, because we had special status in Russian empire due to German landowners who lived here).
Lithuanian indeed sounds close to Latgallian, there is a guy in my university who comes from the border region between Latgale and Lithuania. He speaks both languages and it sounds very similar.

There are such theories. Not only on coast of Lithuania but at the coast of Latvia too ... Varjags/Vigings in the mining of pirates/floating warriors-merchants were not only scandinavian people (Scandinavians was the largest part of them), but it was the other local population odf Baltic sea coast too - Curoneans, for example.

As far as i know there have been only two Scandinavian colonies in Baltic lands, both come from archaeological evidence. One was in the Sembian peninsula in Prussia, other - around modern Grobiņa in Curonia. The last one existed between 600 to 800 AD.
The Varjags in ancient Rus might be from different origins, but Scandinavian origin was of major influence. Even the last grand prince of united Rus Yaroslav the Wise spoke Scandinavian language.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 04:36
You know, I just noticed this...
You say this about my quote of the Heimskringla:
Third: the source you put here is crap. Why? In the time Harald Hardrada lived, Bisantium had a Car. Your source is just a bad transcription from middle ages.

And then in the same post, you put the Heimskringla in your own list of reference
Heimskringla, the Chronicle of Norwegian kings(12th century) mentions

How am I supposed to take that seriously?

Now really, I do believe that you have done a lot of research, and I do not doubt for a minute that your knowledge on the Slavs is bigger than mine. (not very hard, I know very little about the Slavs). And I can understand that a country like Slovenia has a need for a past of its own. 

But when you first claim that all previous historians are wrong, and then put references to books from the 1920s in your list.... well, that is just not logical. Quite a lot of the theories you support (Viking raids are because of bad climate, Varangians are a tribe, medieval man thought the world was flat) are theories that were believed in the past but since long have been rejected and revised. History is not just reading everything that was written; it is reading a lot, and then evaluating which information is reliable and accurate and which is not. Of the sources you state, those that I know do not seem to support your theories on the Scandinavians at least. And that makes it difficult for me to see whether or not your statements on the Slavs are. You put forward some views that are rather different than the average common knowledge, please convince me that you are right on that... (dont just give titles. I have no time to look up and read the whole lot, and I cannot read quite a few anyway.)

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 04:51
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Mainly a lot of archaeology,(neither theScandinavians nor the Slavs wrote a lot at this time...)and some other sources like an Arab account of a visit to the lands. I caanot give you titles from the top of my head, but I can look that up for you if you like.

Please do.

PS. Oh please this is silly every one knows the world is flat.
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Edited by lollercoaster - 18-Apr-2007 at 04:51
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 06:28
Originally posted by axeman

As far as i know there have been only two Scandinavian colonies in Baltic lands, both come from archaeological evidence. One was in the Sembian peninsula in Prussia, other - around modern Grobiņa in Curonia. The last one existed between 600 to 800 AD.
I wanted to say that in some theories Viking/Varjags not only Scandinavians , but Curonians (and others floating people from Baltic sea coast) could be called Viking/Varjags too.

The Varjags in ancient Rus might be from different origins, but Scandinavian origin was of major influence. Even the last grand prince of united Rus Yaroslav the Wise spoke Scandinavian language.
It's the most popular and proven theory. IMHO russification(not only language) of Scadinavians nobles/people in Ancient Rus came to its' end when their names became Slavic (like Vladimir, Yaroslav, Svjatoslav, etc).
I could start to look deeper to non-Scandinavian theories only if somebody will explain me why names of first known Russian Dukes&Co were not Slavic (Igor, Oleg, Rurik, Sven, etc) .

Edited by John Lenon - 18-Apr-2007 at 06:29
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 09:33

I could start to look deeper to non-Scandinavian theories only if somebody will explain me why names of first known Russian Dukes&Co were not Slavic (Igor, Oleg, Rurik, Sven, etc) .

Or Ivan, Boris, Alexander, Peter, Nikolay Wink
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by Anton

Aren't these names from Christian tradition(Russian case - greek orthodox church), quite common in many nations and languages?
Like for example in Latvian:
Ivan - Jānis
Alexander - Aleksandrs
Peter - Pēteris
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 12:19
Anton,isn't Boris a bulgarian name?The other names are not slavic.

BTW Ivan is the bulgarian form of Joan.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 12:20

Aren't these names from Christian tradition(Russian case - greek orthodox church), quite common in many nations and languages?
Like for example in Latvian:
Ivan - Jānis
Alexander - Aleksandrs
Peter - Pēteris

Yes, the most modern Russians names like Boris, Nikolai, Sergej, Irina, Daria etc, came to Russians from Christian/Orthodox saints. Old slavic names were pushed off (till 1917) by Christian/Orthodox  faith, only name of Christian/Orthodox  saints were usually used. Such names like Vladimir, Svjatoslav, Rostislav have been used because there were Russian Orthodox saints with such names. Situation in some others Slavic countries is different. There you could find a lot off ols Slavic names (especially in Balkan, Chech Republic, etc). I tnink very close situation with old Slavic names is in Poland.

P.S.
Ivan, Juan, John, Janis, Jonas, Jan, etc. - came from one bible jew name.

Edited by John Lenon - 18-Apr-2007 at 12:26
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 13:21

Why would Slavs name their sons Igor(Ingvar), Oleg(Helgi), Rurik(Rrik) and Sven? It's not that they converted to Norse paganism, is it? I'm just asking if you imply the situations are equivalent.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 18-Apr-2007 at 13:23
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 13:23

Yes, the most modern Russians names like Boris, Nikolai, Sergej, Irina, Daria etc, came to Russians from Christian/Orthodox saints. Old slavic names were pushed off (till 1917) by Christian/Orthodox  faith, only name of Christian/Orthodox  saints were usually used. Such names like Vladimir, Svjatoslav, Rostislav have been used because there were Russian Orthodox saints with such names. Situation in some others Slavic countries is different. There you could find a lot off ols Slavic names (especially in Balkan, Chech Republic, etc). I tnink very close situation with old Slavic names is in Poland.
P.S.
Ivan, Juan, John, Janis, Jonas, Jan, etc. - came from one bible jew name.

I would doubt about Daria. It has very convincing slavonic ethymology. But my point was that Rurik, Oleg and Olga are not necesserily NOT slavonic just because they didn't have Slavonic names. At least I see something weird in this linguistic proofs.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

It's not that they converted to Norse paganism, is it? I'm just asking if you imply the situations are equivalent.
No.

Igor(Ingvar), Oleg(Helgi), Rurik(Rrik)
Are you sure that that kind of transition are proven linguistically?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 13:29
Originally posted by Krum

Anton,isn't Boris a bulgarian name?The other names are not slavic.
It seems so. But again, where did it come from -- slavonic Borislav or Turkic Baris?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Why would Slavs name their sons Igor(Ingvar), Oleg(Helgi), Rurik(Rrik) and Sven?

Why not? There were contacts with each other.  Besides, Rurik, Olga and Igor are name within one family in a very short period of time. Are you sure you may extrapolate your conclusions about their names to all Rus?
Where did you get this Sven from?

Edited by Anton - 18-Apr-2007 at 13:50
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

You know, I just noticed this...  
And then in the same post, you put the Heimskringla in your own list of reference
Heimskringla, the Chronicle of Norwegian kings(12th century) mentions
 Did you notice the word "mentions"? It's a list of works that mention Venetians as a nation. Nothing else. I belive I wrote 1. "read it from a distance", 2. "here are some "bones for you to chew on""
I never said that I agree with everything this works say. It's a list of works that I have read or heard of and know their contents. I was looking for Venetian and Slav references. (because there is despute in some Slavic countries, wether Venetians were part of Slavs or part of Kelts or a nation for it's self... well at least here). Not all of the boks have everything correct. Some are partly even silly and not logical! Like I said in my previous post: I don't learn history by hearth. Since I obviously confused you, let me tell you how I -lets say- treat history: like I said I read alot and god knows I many times forget where I have read this or thatEmbarrassed. But when I finish a segment, I lean back and think:"Ok, this is what here is stated, I have read this and this, 1. is it possible to logically conect theese two sources on the level of a) writers' deduction b) claims of historic writers. If yes, ok than this must be it, if not: writers deductions differ because of... (political, ideological view, they didn't notice something, etc.), ok, I must make my own from historycal source and archeological evidence."
I put archeological evidence allways first!!!!!!!!!!!! They never lie!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I look at contemporary writings I ask my self:"Who was the writer, what were the circumstances of his writing, can I tell byesty, is he in general silly and unlogical?" And the most part I spend studiing descriptions of findings, known psihology and sociology ishues of that time, etc. Then I make my own deduction. 

And I can understand that a country like Slovenia has a need for a past of its own.

Are you by any chance patronising Slovenians???!!! Slovenia already has it's own history!!! Slovenian grandfathers lived here since the ice melted! Stronger neighbours and other dramatical event's (I don't have the time nor the will to write that all right now) led to downfall of our nation and what followed was 1000 years of back breaking (practical) slavery, humiliation and germanization, but that is another story. This nation does not seek for it's history! No! It already has one to be proud of, because we endured this 1000 years of national hell and we are still here today, watching how theese spineless politicians of ours are putting us back where we were before our grandfathers shed blood for our freedom in the beginning of the past century!!!!! 

But when you first claim that all previous historians are wrong, and then put references to books from the 1920s in your list....

Ok, maby I was a little to pashionate with that statement. Like I said above and that list is not compleete!!!
Let me put it this way: truth is a circle of perfection, but loking at it from different corners, the curve and paths of it don't allways look clearly monotone... And the catch of the mater is that it allows free interpretation... And that is what many have abused and still do so, unfortunately even in history. Marx tried to make it official... He just succeded in making lies mixed with truth to stick - officialy and scientifically, influenced by politics, patriotic and other feelings that don't belong into science! Sadly it matters who you are in social sciences... My point is, what is commonly exepted, may proove wrong in time (or not), mainly depending on speculations, who resirchers are and with what background, circumstances, needs of politics even. I'm sorry for all this wafling, but I would have to write a f**king book to show you how I know what I know, my fingers hurt and I lack time write now. Maby in the summer I will dig into it. But I have a better idea! If I go to Netherlands or you come to Slovenia, we should get together and than we can talk this over!

Edited by knjaz - 19-Apr-2007 at 04:41
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 16:15

Why not? There were contacts with each other.  Besides, Rurik, Olga and Igor are name within one family in a very short period of time. Are you sure you may extrapolate your conclusions about their names to all Rus?
Where did you get this Sven from?

Well, now the thing is that it's not only some random Scandinavian names appearing in a number of chronicles: it's people who are mentioned as Scandinavians who also happen to have Scandinavian names. Should you *only* have the name connection you could of course not make any such assumptions. That's not the case here though. Sven was mentioned by the guy I quoted. 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 16:24
Good. It seems we came to an agreement Smile Otherwise I would ask you how did it happen that Odin has slavonic name "One" Wink 
BTW, in some other sources Rus are considered to be a branch of slavonic ethnos. See for instance Ibn Hordadbeh. But it seems that most of sources are in favour of Norman theory of Rus.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 04:54

Hey, Anton, I agree with you, but I read in Several books (some are listed above) that Venetians called their supreeme god Vodin (interestingly, if you eliminate V, you get Odin, which is a scandinavian god). Now, there were Stones found in Slovenia and Austria that prove the theory, and they dated them to be older than first mentions of the Odin in Scandinavian cultures. This is used as one of the profs for the theory, that Venetians were the first Settlers of Scandinavian peninsula and the west baltic coast with southern Jutland and later Scandinavian cultures took some religious elements of the previous Venetian settlers. There are supposedly even some nominal evidence in Scandinavia it's self that remind of this Venetians... I find this interesting, since there are also linguistic proofs in some of our etimology books. But I personaly think that there should be some more reserch done on that matter.

Edited by knjaz - 19-Apr-2007 at 04:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>