Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:19
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Or perhaps you believe that Harold Hardrada king of Norway was a Slav? Not likely.

What is the connection between Harald Hardrada and Variags?

That the Varangians were Scandinavians and not Slavs is all too easily proven: there are Old-Norse Runic inscriptions in Byzantium. And we have quite a lot of sources on Varangians, both Greek and Scandinavian, as they sometimes went back.

According to an anecdote, greatest Russian scientist Mihailo Lomonosov said "they derive the name of my own city Holmogori (city on the Hills, "Hills and Mountains" actually) from german word Holmgardia" LOL

Edited by Anton - 17-Apr-2007 at 06:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:28
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Why do ancient Slavic warriors look eastern? Are their ancestors from the east or what?

Look "eastern" in where? how? what?!

Lol I am amazed how many people are mainly intrested in history only to boost their own identity.

Now, as far as the Vikings in Slavic lands are concerned. There is an abundance of evidence that they did not only trade there, but were also in control of the lands along the rivers (not the inlands, mind you, just the rivers).

This I am genuienly intrested in. What evidence give so precise information?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by Anton

Or perhaps you believe that Harold Hardrada king of Norway was a Slav? Not likely.

What is the connection between Harald Hardrada and Variags?

Harold was a Varangian before he became king.

Originally posted by heimskringla

Harald remained several years in Russia, and travelled far and
wide in the Eastern land.  Then he began his expedition out to
Greece, and had a great suite of men with him; and on he went to
Constantinople.  So says Bolverk: --

"Before the cold sea-curling blast
     The cutter from the land flew past,
     Her black yards swinging to and fro,
     Her shield-hung gunwale dipping low.
     The king saw glancing o'er the bow
     Constantinople's metal glow
     From tower and roof, and painted sails
     Gliding past towns and wooded vales."

Now when Harald came to
Constantinople he presented himself to the empress, and went into
her pay; and immediately, in autumn, went on board the galleys
manned with troops which went out to the Greek sea.  Harald had
his own men along with him.  Now Harald had been but a short time
in the army before all the Varings flocked to him, and they all
joined together when there was a battle.  It thus came to pass
that Harald was made chief of the Varings.

Of course, Snorri is not always totally reliable, but the fact that Harold Hardrada, (brother of king Olaf the Saint), was captain of the Varangian guard is also attested by Greek sources. Unfortunately I cannot give you any links to these, as I do not know where to find them. But respected professors have written about these documents, (such as Peter Sawyer, Simon Keynes and a Dutch professor I know personally, called Arend Quak) and as I cannot read Greek anyhow, I take their word for it.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 17-Apr-2007 at 05:51

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 05:54
Originally posted by lollercoaster

Now, as far as the Vikings in Slavic lands are concerned. There is an abundance of evidence that they did not only trade there, but were also in control of the lands along the rivers (not the inlands, mind you, just the rivers).

This I am genuienly intrested in. What evidence give so precise information?

Mainly a lot of archaeology, (neither the Scandinavians nor the Slavs wrote a lot at this time...) and some other sources like an Arab account of a visit to the lands. I caanot give you titles from the top of my head, but I can look that up for you if you like.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 11:34
First of all: if you don't know much about Slavs (as you your self claim), than why are you wasting time and space on this forum? Slavs weren't Vikings!
Second: Harald Hardrada was a Norwegian king, and Varjags lived on the south baltic coast (what is today Lituania and a bit bigger).
Third: the source you put here is crap. Why? In the time Harald Hardrada lived, Bisantium had a Car. Your source is just a bad transcription from middle ages.
Fourth: Sawyer is a nazist and a teutomaniak, he has ben convicted for nazistic exclamation in Britain not long ago. Keynes is a historian like the ones that made Enciklopedia Britanica (I think he wrote some Suplements as well).
Fifth: 200 years of reserch indeed has little relevance. Let me picture it to you this way: People were proving for 1500 years that the world is flat...LOL Today we know it is not... Slowly we find new things.
Sixth: Bizantine and orient authors write quite a lot about the Jantar trade rute. You should read it and get an independant translator for it.
Yes, there is evidence of Vikings alongside Slavic rivers: a lot of swords, spear points, helmets and other weaponry and material. They also found two drakkars: one of them in the Volga, the other I don't know where. Reserchers even dug out remains and even graves. Most of them were on or near the banks of rivers... 95% of them had arrowpoints of Slavic origin in them or bone indications of mortal wounds... Yes they were there, but that doesn't prove that they controled the lands. Because from that evidence and some written Arabic and other texts there was someone waiting for them on the coasts...Wink That's why they didn't go further inland. They would be stupid if they didn't try! There were rich cities a few miles inland! But there were also Slavic forts alongside the river Cry(with unarguable architecture indicatind that they were built by Slavs)... Later, about 1200 they got ultimate trading permission from king Svjatoslav I (they were promitted trade with paing taxes at ports from about 920 anyway).
Seventh: I am not dismissive about your knowledge, you are obviously a (semy?)professional historian, but I think your knowledge about history of Estern Europe is a bit leaky... Ok. Let mi give you some more "bones to chew on". Read it a bit from a distance, but you'll get the picture:Smile
Historical sources: 
Homer (9th century B. C.) records in Iliad  [1]   the Veneti in Paphlagonia as Enetoj (the Greek did not know the letter v).
Herodotus, historian (5th century B. C.), writes about Illyrian Veneti, about Veneti living around the lower stream of the Danube, and  finally about Veneti inhabiting the Northern Adriatic territory. [2]
Polibus (2th century B. C.) added to the description of events during the years 219 to 146 B. C., following: "The land to the Adriatic coast was mastered by another, very old folk, named Veneti ... They speak a different language as the Celts, but what their habbits and their clothing is concearned, they differ from them only slightly ... Veneti and Gonomani were persuaded by Roman representatives, to join the Romans". [3]
Demetrius of Scepsis, grammarian, archeologist (2nd century B. C.), mentions the capital of the Veneti (Enea) in Troas (Asia Minor). [4]
Strabo, historian, geographer (1st century B. C.), designates the (V)eneti in Paphlagonia as the major tribe moving towards Thrace (nowadays territory of Bulgaria) after the fall of Troy (Asia Minor). [5]
Julius Caesar, historian (1st century B. C.), reports about the Veneti living in Gaul (Brittany). [6]
Titus Livy, historian (1st century B. C.), describes how Veneti came up to the coasts of the (northern) Adriatic, also mentioning the river "Timava", which flows through the duskiness of the kocjan caves (Slovene Ti(e)ma means the darkness). [7]
Pliny the Elder (1st century B. C.) talks about an extensive land, named Eningia, where Sarmatians, Venedi, etc. lived. He also mentions the Venetulani in central Italy. [8]
Tacitus, historian (1st century C. E.), places Veneti on the border of Suebia together with Peucinians, Sarmatians and Fenns. [9]
Ptolemy, geographer (2nd century), mentions exceedingly large nations - the (O)venedi on the whole coastal region of the Venetic gulf (The Baltic sea). [10]
Emperor Julian (4th century) presents evidence of Veneti, who settled in the proximity of Aquilea (Italy). [11]
Jordanes, historian (6th century), notes a numerous nation of Veneti, populating the area between north of Dacia (now Romania) and up to the Visla delta (the Baltic sea), who call themselves Slavs and Ants. ( "termini Venetorum qui et Sclavi dic**tur") [12]
In Vita s. Columbani [13] (7th century) (the Alpine) Veneti, who call themselves Slavs, are recorded.
In the Fredegarius Chronicle (7th century) we can read about the Slavs designated as Vinedi. [14]
Adam of Bremen, chronicler (11th century), mentions an extensive land Sclavania, settled by Winulians, who used to be called Vandals. The land could have been ten times bigger then Sachsen, especially if we include Bohemians (Czechs) and Polians, since they are not distinguishable from each other, nor by their appearance, or by their language. [15]
In Denmark (from latest 12th century and until the year 1972) the title "King of the Vends" (Latin Vandals) was used for enthroning Danish kings.
Helmold, historian (12th century), records a vast Slavic country, where the ancient Vandals are now named Wends or Winulians. [16]
Wincenty Kadłubek / Vincent of Cracow, historian (12th century), affirms that Poles used to be called Vandals. [17]
Heimskringla, the Chronicle of Norwegian kings(12th century) mentions, that the Black Sea "divides three parts of the earth, from which is the eastern part called Asia, whereas the western part is by some called Europe, and by others Enea." [18]
Miersuae Chronicon (13th century) equates Vandals with Slavs. [19]
Albert Crantz, historian (15th century), reports about Wandals or Wends, and says that they are Slavs, living as a single nation from Poland to Dalmatia. According to him, the mighty acts in France, Spain and Africa are ascribed to the Wends. [20]
Marcin Bielski (16th century) says that Wandals was once the name for Slavs. [21]
The Pomeranian chronicler Thomas Kantzow (1505-1542) writes that the "Slau(v)s and Wandals are the same thing ... just like the Germans are called differently - Germani, Teuthones, Alemanni.": Original text: "Dan Slaui und Wandali ist ein Dinck ... gleich wie die Teutzschen werden oft on Unterschied geheissen Germani, Teuthones, Alemanni." [21a]
Christophorum Entzelt von Saluelt (16. century) records ancient populousness of the lands east from the Elbe (Laba) river with Wends. At the same time he equates Veneti and Sclavenes. [22]
Sebastian Mnster, cartographer (16th century), mentions a once mighty nation on the East sea (Ostsee) named Vandals or Wends. He also reports on Wandals who settled regions in eastern Germany, where inhabitants are called Sclavs or Wends. Original text: "Mecklenburg-Pommern-Preussen: jtem Brandenburg und was dem Polenland zugelegen, alles Wandali geheien und ihre Einwohner haben auch Sclaven oder Wenden geheien." [23]
Antol Vramec, chronicler (16th century), writes in his chronicle for the year 928 the following: The Heneti, who name themselves Sloveni, were at that time knocked down in Germany. [24]
Adam Bohorič, linguist (16th century), links Heneti, Vene(d)ti, Vinds, Vandals and Slavs together as a single nation. [25]
Mavro Orbin (16th century) numbers Veneti, Vends, Vandals, Illyrians, Sarmatians ... among Slavs. [26]
The Chronicle of Brandenburg (16. century) emphasizes the mighty predecessors of Wends, the Vandals, who sacked Rome and Carthage, and mentions their king Genserich as the king of Vandals. [27]
Johann Weichard Baron von Valvasor, historian, geographer (1689), wrote: "Wends and Sclavenes are one folk, Wandals and Wends one and the same nation". (Wenden und Sclaven seynd ein Volk, Wandalen und Wenden einerley Nation.) [28]
V. N. Tatičev, ethnographer (17th -18th century), classifies the Heneti as Slavs, as well as the Vandalic or Vendenic state as the first known Slavic state. [29]
A. L. Schlzer, historian (18th century), defended his thesis about Slavs originating from Illyrians and the Veneti. [30]
Vasilij Trediakovski (18th century) classifies Dalmatians, Serbians, Bulgarians ... among Vandals. [31]
Davorin Trstenjak (19th century) wrote about the ancient Adriatic Veneti, who belonged to a Vindish-Slavic family. He accented their affinity with the Aremoric (Brittany) and Baltic Veneti. [32]
In Helmolts Weltgeschichte (end of the 19th century) [33] it is indicated, that the Veneti, Wends and Winds were actually ancestors of Slovenes, and that they used to settle the old roman provinces Vindelitia, Raetia, Noricum, Pannona.. www.hervardi.com/helmolt.php

[1] Ilijada, 851
[2] Herodotus, History vol. 7 / G B Pellegrini, A L Prosdocimi, La lingua venetica, Padova 1967, V, 9
[3] Polibios, Obča zgodovina, Dravna zaloba Slovenije, Ljubljana 1964, str. 88; str. 92
[4] On the Martialling of the Trojan Forces
[5] Strabon, Geografija
[6] De Bello Gallico
[7] Titus Livius, History of Rome, Loeb Classic Library, William Heinemann, London, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1933 / Titi Livi, Ab Vrbe condita, liber I, http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/liv.html
[8] Historia naturalis, Liber IV: 96-97
[9] Cornelius Tacitus, De origine et situ Germaorum liber (Germania), 64
[10] Ptolemej, De Geographia, III 5. 21.
[11] The Works of Emperor Julian, Engl. transl. Wilmer Cave Wright, I. vol., Loeb Classical Library, William Heinemann , Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Press, 1954, The Heroic Deeds of Constantius, str. 190- 193
[12] Iordanes, De origine actibusce Getarum (Getica), Roma 1986, str 43 (XXIII poglavje); S Rutar, Kako vanost ima "Jordanis" za slovensko zgodovinopisje, Letopis Matice slovenske, Ljubljana 1880, str. 86
[13] J Bobbiensis, Vitae s. Columbani
[14] Fredegar Scholasticus, Historia Francorum, I, 48
[15] Adamus Bremensis, Gesta Hammaburgensis ecclesiae pontificum (et Scholast), 11. century, II, 18
[16] Helmoldi presbyteri Bozoviensis, Chronica Sclavorum et Venedorum, 1171, p. 2, 14
[17] W Kadłubek, Mistrza Wincentego Kronika Polska, Warszawa 1974
[18] Heimskringla or The Chronicle of the Kings of Norway, The Ynglinga Saga, or The Story of the Yngling Family from Odin to Halfdan the Black, Snorri Sturluson c. 1179 - 1241, Online Medieval and Classical Library Release #15b, http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/Heimskringla/
[19] Miersuae Chronicon, Monumenta Poloniae Historica II, 1872
[20] Albertus Crantzius, Vandalia, lat. Hamburg 1519
[21] M Bielski, Kronika Polska
[21a] Thomas Kantzow, Chronik von Pommern in Niederdeutscher Mundart (orig. 1535), Dr. Martin Sndig oHG., 1973; ISBN 3-500-28260-1
[22] Entzelt von Salfeld, Chronicon der Alten Mark, Magdeburg 1579
[23] S Mnster, Cosmographiae Universalis, Basileae 1572
[24] A Vramec, Kronika, Ljubljana 1578
[25] A Bohorič, Zimske urice / Arcticae horulae, Vitenberg, 1584
[26] M Orbini, Il Regno degli Slavi /Kraljestvo Slovanov, naslov "Historiografska knjiga o izvoru imena Slave in o raziritvi slovanskega naroda in njegovih carjev ter vladarjev z mnogimi imeni in z mnogimi carstvi, kraljestvi in provincami", 1722
[27] Angelus, Chronik der Mark Brandenburg, 1598
[28] J V Valvasor, Slava Vojvodine Kranjske / Die Ehre des Herzogthums Crain, Nrnberg 1689
[29] V N Tatičev, Slovani in Rusija, str. 21 / Собрание сочинений. Т.1. История Российская. М. 1994, частъ 1. См. также фрагментъі в сборнике "Славяне и Русъ"с. 16-23
[30] Х А Шлецер, О происхождении словен вообще и в особенности словен российских, М. 1810
[31] B Тредиаковский, РИ, I-XVI - Римская история ... сочиненная г. Ролленем ... а с Французского переведенная тщанием и трудами В. Тредиаковского ... Т. I - XVI. СПб., 1761-1767
[32] D Trstenjak, Raziskavanja na polji staroslovanske zgodovine, Letopis matice slovenske, Ljubljana
[33] H F Helmolt, Weltgeschichte, fnfter Band, Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig und Wien 1900 (1899-1907), p. 269, 270 (english: London 1902, ruskij: Petrograd

Edited by knjaz - 17-Apr-2007 at 11:53
Everyone has dreams, but only the boldest reach out to grab them.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 11:51
Fourth: Sawyer is a nazist and a teutomaniak, he has ben convicted for nazistic exclamation in Britain not long ago.

well, this just goes to show you really have not the slightest idea what you are talking about. You see, Peter Sawyer is an Emeritus Professor of the University of Leeds, and one of the authorities on the Scandinavian peoples. I see there is no need to continue this conversation as you are ranting.

Oh, I just noticed this:
Fifth: 200 years of reserch indeed has little relevance. Let me picture it to you this way: People were proving for 1500 years that the world is flat...LOL Today we know it is not... Slowly we find new things.
Also false. Do you know anything about history at all? Even the ancient Greeks new the earth was round, and so did people in the middle ages (read Dante for instance). Please do try to check up on your facts. I really do not have time to do it for you.

oh, and then this too...
Third: the source you put here is crap. Why? In the time Harald Hardrada lived, Bisantium had a Car. Your source is just a bad transcription from middle ages.

LOL you really really have no idea who Snorri Sturlusson is, do you? So sad you did not even bother to check... Pity, he really is one of the most important sources we have. And quite reliable too, on many things.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 17-Apr-2007 at 12:00

knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by aeon

Russian warriors of the 10th century

Russians fighting Khazars

Russian warriors of the 13th century

Jesus criste!!!! Cool pictures!!! Where did you get them???!!!! I searched the internet for theese for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ShockedShockedShockedShockedStarStarStarClapClapClap
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by knjaz

Second: Harald Hardrada was a Norwegian king, and Varjags lived on the south baltic coast (what is today Lituania and a bit bigger).

Varjags lived in South Baltic coast around Lithuania???!!!!
Where did you got that?
First and the last time - Varjags were Norse (Swedish) pirates, mercenaries, merchants which traveled through the modern Russia, Belarus, Ukraine to the Byzantium and other southern lands.
The term Varjags is the name given by Rus chroniclers to these northern visitors.

Sixth: Bizantine and orient authors write quite a lot about the Jantar trade rute. You should read it and get an independant translator for it.
Yes, there is evidence of Vikings alongside Slavic rivers: a lot of swords, spear points, helmets and other weaponry and material. They also found two drakkars: one of them in the Volga, the other I don't know where. Reserchers even dug out remains and even graves. Most of them were on or near the banks of rivers... 95% of them had arrowpoints of Slavic origin in them or bone indications of mortal wounds... Yes they were there, but that doesn't prove that they controled the lands. Because from that evidence and some written Arabic and other texts there was someone waiting for them on the coasts...Wink That's why they didn't go further inland. They would be stupid if they didn't try! There were rich cities a few miles inland! But there were also Slavic forts alongside the river Cry(with unarguable architecture indicatind that they were built by Slavs)... Later, about 1200 they got ultimate trading permission from king Svjatoslav I (they were promitted trade with paing taxes at ports from about 920 anyway).

Very story is very biased. Have you ever read first Rus chronicle (Повесть временных лет, Povest' vremennykh let, which is often translated into English as Tale of bygone years) written around 1113 in Kiev by monk named Nestor?
but I think your knowledge about history of Estern Europe is a bit leaky... Ok. Let mi give you some more "bones to chew on". Read it a bit from a distance, but you'll get the picture:Smile
Well your own knowledge about history of Eastern Europe is next to bit leaky. You should seriously consider what you are reading and try to find information up-to-date.

Edited by axeman - 17-Apr-2007 at 13:09
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:35

What you are writing happened much later: again I'm talking of time from B.C. and early A.D. (to about 1000)!!! Can't you read or what??!! Pleas state your sources. Nestor wasn't a Slav, he was a fugitive from Apeninian Peninsula, he hid himself in a monastery to escape pursuers. You should consider reading some more books (I stated "some" if you havent noticed by any chance and claimed doesnts of original historic documents). What I wrote above is no story, but bare facts found in the soile on the banks of rivers! There were also remains of Slavs indicating batles. My knowledge is the most up to date as it can get, it comes - again - like I wrote - from a book, A4 format, 4000 pages of pictures, evidence (originaly scaned and translated by our best translators) that was published this year (january). Our historians made revisions after the congress (again I wrote that) and presented historycal documents from all Slavic countries - INCLUDING YOUR OWN! Next time, please read everything before you comment!

Sweedish pirates???? Where did you read that crap? They were a nation! They were (arguably) Slavs or Venetians or mixture of tribes that lived there since the ice receeded and the "newcommers" that expanded there when agriculture got on a higher level and population rose in other parts of Slavic (Venetian) lands. Venetians were first settlers of Baltic coasts and Scandinavian peninsula. Later the climate got colder for a few 100 years, population fell and many abandoned Scandinavian peninsula. When the climate got wormer again these lands were invaded by spreading Germanians. They built their settlements on remains of Venetian ones and assimilated the population. Allthough in the what is today nort-east or central Sweeden some fragments of the population remained late into 800 A.D. On the southern baltic coasts Venetians living there accepted and traided with germanians. In about 300 A.D. ugro-finnian nations came to theese lands from the edge of Urals and were assimilated by baltic Venetians (or baltic Slavs). One of these mixed tribes got a name Varjagi - yes, by other Slavs. The derivation of word is rather complicated so excuse me for not stating it at this time. Please check your sources. Nestor's cronicle of Russian history was not the first and not the best description of Russia in that time. It lacks many facts and some things are interpreted in a "rather strange" way. It was one of many written in that time.

Edited by knjaz - 17-Apr-2007 at 14:02
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by Anton

According to an anecdote, greatest Russian scientist Mihailo Lomonosov said "they derive the name of my own city Holmogori (city on the Hills, "Hills and Mountains" actually) from german word Holmgardia" LOL

It worries me a bit that the greatest scientist Russia can produce doesn't seem to realize the Scandinavians had their own names for other people's cities, eg Holmgrd (Island City) for Novgorod, Knugrd(King's City) and Miklagrd (Great City) for Constantinople.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 13:47

Pleas state your sources. Nestor wasn't a Slav, he was a fugitive from Apeninian Peninsula he hid himself in a monastery to escape pursuers. You should consider reading some more books (I stated "some" if you havent noticed by any chance) and claimed doesnts of original historic documents. What I wrote above is no story but bare facts found in the soile on the banks of rivers! There were also remains of Slavs indicating batles.

Nestor wasn't Slav? You should certainly post the source from where you got this stuff about him being fugitive from Apeninian peninsula.

And there are probably lot of Slav remains indicating battles as they waged war not only with Khazars and other steppe peoples but at first between themselves.

Our historians made revisions after the congress (again I wrote that) and presented historycal documents from all Slavic countries - INCLUDING YOUR OWN! Next time, please read everything before you comment!

Latvia a Slavic country??? Shocked Well your knowledge about eastern Europe has just became even more leaky.
Have you ever heard of Balts or Baltic language group?
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:07

Yes there is a lot of evidence from arround 600 A.D., when there was a mass movement of Slavs on the go. That's when they (arguably) crossed the Danube in the south, tribes in what are today your neighbouring countries fought for power and against their eastern enemies. Some of them completely changed their habitat, etc.

Edited by knjaz - 18-Apr-2007 at 01:52
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:07
Yes, but from Ptolemai on to 16th century (that's about 1500 years). They thought it was flat - majority of them - the church propagated it!!! - noone can deny that! And there are many dead scholars and scientists from that time to prove that: Jordano Bruno for instance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). 
Baltic language group formed in the middle ages.
About that prof. I read in a weekly newspaper of ours... Maby it was a mistake or sth.
He's just another of many historians. I STATED HIM AMONG LITERATURE. I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIM IN EVERYTHING AND SO DON'T MANY OTHER AUTHORS AS WELL, YOU YOUR SELF WROTE HE ISN'T ALLWAYS RELIABLE. What I read is to say mildly strange. Read the rest, then coment!

Edited by knjaz - 18-Apr-2007 at 02:12
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:14

ALL THE SOURCES I CAN THINK OF ARE POSTED, FOR THE REST OF WORLD LITERATURE, YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT FORE A WHILE. READ BEFORE CRITICISING!

knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:23
YOU TWO REALY CAN'T READ, CAN YOU, I STATED HALF A MILE OF RELIABLE SOURCES, BUT YOU TWO JUST FOCUS ON CONVINCING ME YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG!
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:29

Yes, but from Ptolemai on to 16th century (that's about 1500 years). They thought it was flat (majority of them - the church propagated it - noone can deny that). 
Baltic language group formed in the middle ages.

Baltic language group is very ancient, especially modern Lithuanian language has retained lots of features which are studied in Indo-European comparative linguistics.
Hopefully you can read or understand in this map in Russian language and the boundary between Baltic and Slavic language groups are clearly shown.
The map is for 5-4 c. BC.

Triglav View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Triglav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Where are the Slavic people's ancestors from?

im Slavic ancestor . Im from Slovakia

knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:03
Yea axeman, it's a very old theory, i can read russian and that map is absoleete, kelts never stretched so far east, some people on this forum already provided evidence for that, check previous messages! Venetians and Slavs were neighbours, and Venetians stretched to the nort sea with their west border on Laba river. East of them start the Slavs, to the volga, germanians were in todays west germani and just the Jukatan peninsula and far more to the nort of Scandinavia at that time, they controled the whole Rhine region, this map is an insult to every German, because they were all over west Europe by that time. They ocupied just  Kelts were pushed north and west. That's comonly accepted, Skyths were due east in Kavkasian mountains, balts NEVER streached that far south!!! There's about a milion ways to prove that. They were due nort and ugro-finnian tribes never were that south, because the Sarmatians ocupied the territory far more to the nort. Sigini and Volki were Antian tribes that were where those olive green arows are by that time. Goetians were more widely spread to the east... This map is special, I saw maps of those times that were diferent from this one and were all similar. And what I know from phizical evidence, they should be about wright. This map is interesting though, in the case of "Baltic nations" it shows the tendency to gain territory in the middle ages. Fraterning with teutonic knights (not even of your own tribes, but similarly greedy), you atacked medieval Russia, but thank God for Alexander Nevski! I'm just about sick of it. Good night.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:04
Yea axeman, it's a very old theory, i can read russian and that map is absoleete, kelts never stretched so far east and south, some people on this forum already provided evidence for that, check previous messages! Venetians and Slavs were neighbours, and Venetians stretched to the nort sea with their west border on Laba river. East of them start the Slavs, to the volga, germanians were in todays west germani, on border of today's France and Germany and they weren't even on the Jukatan peninsula (arguably), they started to move into west Sweeden and Norway and northern Jukatan peninsula at that time, they controled the whole northern Rhine region. This map is an insult to every German!Smile Kelts were pushed north and west, But they were in what is today Swizerland and east France, west of them Gals started to form at that time, originaly a Kelt tribe mixed with older settlers (that is stil quite unknown - or if anyone has read otherwise). That's comonly accepted. Skyths were due east in Kavkasian mountains and a bit north from them, balts NEVER streached that far south!!! There's about a milion ways to prove that. There is a theory that they did not even exist at that time and there are quite some scientists that agree with that. What I stated is a theory from that point of view, but I personaly think that archeologists should get their hands a bit more dirty and look for more evidence! They were due nort and ugro-finnian tribes never were that south, because the Sarmatians ocupied the territory far more to the nort. Sigini and Volki were Antian tribes that were where those olive green arows are by that time. Goetians were more widely spread to the east... This map is special, I saw maps of those times that were diferent from this one and were all similar. And what I saw and know from phizical evidence, they should be about right.

Edited by knjaz - 18-Apr-2007 at 02:09
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 20:21
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

It worries me a bit that the greatest scientist Russia can produce doesn't seem to realize the Scandinavians had their own names for other people's cities, eg Holmgrd (Island City) for Novgorod, Knugrd(King's City) and Miklagrd (Great City) for Constantinople.

There is no need to be worried about Russian science. I don't think he didn't realize the things that you mentioned. But what he could mention also is that history of Holmogori starts from 15th century which is far from Variag's time (I mean as a part of Russian history). On the other hand he was a big patriot of Russia so we can excuse him a bit of nationalism for his contribution to mass conservation law, wave theory of light,  corpuscular theory of the matter, discovery of Venus athmosphere, creation of Russian poetry grammar laws and some other discoveries Tongue

By the way, you can also derive the name Holmogori from finnish "Death wall"  At least according to Croatian wiki. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>