Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anglo Saxons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglo Saxons
    Posted: 24-Dec-2009 at 16:29
It is a question why the frisians should call themselves "the free ones" or were called from their neighbours "the free ones". They weren't more or less free than all the other Germanic nations and during Roman times they were even a part of the Roman empire. unfortunately we can't say were the name comes from, i would prefer it comes from a god "freyr" but this is of course just an idea.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2009 at 17:24
Originally posted by beorna

It is a question why the frisians should call themselves "the free ones" or were called from their neighbours "the free ones". They weren't more or less free than all the other Germanic nations and during Roman times they were even a part of the Roman empire. unfortunately we can't say were the name comes from, i would prefer it comes from a god "freyr" but this is of course just an idea.

Of course that is a very good choice! Perhaps there exists some tidbit of information about this "god" from which we now get the name of our "Friday"?

For example is "Friday" named after a female or male god? What are its attributes, etc.? Why was it chosen?, etc.? How many ways was this god's name spelled?

Oh, by the way, I might well argue that the Romans did not conquerer and hold this area?, even under the HRE!
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2009 at 16:10
Usually Friday is said to come from the female Freya. But there is also Frey, who appears as well as Fro or Ing, Ingwy-Freyr. The Frisians BTW were placed among the Ingvaeones.
It is difficult to say what attributes both have, because our informations are from different places and times. Germanc gods weren't fixed. Two gods could "melt" together or one god could split into two new gods, perhaps like Freya and Freyr, who could be the female and male part of an older god. the older gods from the pre-Roman-Iron-Age are different from those of the Viking age and those of the Rhine area different to those of Skandinavia and the Black sea area.

the Frisians were ruled buy Rome since 12 BC, with some interruptions. About 300 the taciteian tribe came to its end. In the 5th century the name Frisians was renewed and the population rose. During that time the Frisians were part of the Saxons. Perhaps these "new" Frisians have just a little to do with the older ones. later under Karl Martell and Charles the Great Friesland was conquered and since that time they were part of the Frankish empire or the (H)RE. But it is correct, that the Frisians had a special political system that was different to others around them.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2009 at 00:42
According to Germanic mythology, and as mentioned by Tacitus in Germania, Frey, as the progenitor of a Germanic tribe, was one of three sons of Mannus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannus as you read in that Wiki article, Mannus could be the same Iranian Manus (Manus-chihr), according to Iranian mythology, Manus had also three sons, as the progenitor of three Iranian tribes, and the first one was Frya.

I think Frisians could be the same Avestan Friasian, Pahlavi Frasiyav and Modern Persian Afrasiab, the worst enemy of Iranian peoples.

You can read the whole story in Avesta: http://www.avesta.org/mp/grb27.htm

1. When the Evil Spirit came in, at the beginning of the first millennium in the mingled state, Gav and Gayomard existed. As Mashye and Mashyane practised that ingratitude, they had no issue, therefore for fifty years. In this millennium, for seventy years Hooshang and Takhmorap {Tahmurasp} both killed the devs. At the millennium's end, the devs sawed Jam {Jamshed}.

2. The second millennium commenced; Azi Dahak {Zohak} began his wicked reign, and ruled for a thousand years. When the millennium ended, Faridoon seized and imprisoned him.

3. The third millennium commenced. When Faridoon allotted the dominions, they, Salm and Tuj, killed Airij, and destroyed his children and grandchildren. 4. In this millennium, Manuschihr was born and sought the revenge of Airij. 5. Then Frasiyav came, vanquished Manuschihr with the Iranians at Mount Patashkhvar, destroyed them with disease, want, and much pestilence, and killed Manuschihr's sons Frya and Notar, till Iranshahr was taken from Frasiyav by another generation. 6. And when Manuschihr had passed away, Frasiyav came again, perpetrated much disintegration and desolation in Iranshahr, and withheld the rains from Iranshahr, till Uzava son of Tumaspa came, vanquished Frasiyav, and produced the rain which they called “the new rain." 7 And after Uzava, Frasiyav again did immense harm to Iranshahr, till Kavat sat on the throne of sovereignty. ...

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2009 at 15:21
Oh, come on Cyrus, not again please.
Lothbrok View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Lothbrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2009 at 19:20
In reference to the sword guard, I would reference "The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England" by H.R. Ellis Davidson. Great book.

Edited by Lothbrok - 26-Dec-2009 at 19:21
"Speak useful words or be silent." - Havamal
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2009 at 22:24
Some where back in timeBig smile I seem to remember reading that Friday was named after a female deity known as Frigga.  Any ideas?
Lothbrok View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Lothbrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2009 at 23:53
I would say Frey's Day is a more likely candidate.
"Speak useful words or be silent." - Havamal
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 03:37
Red Clay, you are also correct! A Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=frigga&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=frigg+goddess

http://www.goddess-guide.com/frigg.html

http://www.goddess-guide.com/freya.html

Whether Friday was named for either or both of these gods is open to discussion, but one or more commonalities exist. For me it is the fact that both of these (or maybe they are one?) gods have the power over the Raven.

I would contend, that in the times whereby families or even nations / communites would display "Chrests" or "armorial signs", and one sees, what is usually today called an "eagle", or a "two headed eagle", is in reality, what we usually would call or descrive as the "Raven or Rook or the Corvus!" IE, the bird of the battlefield!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 27-Dec-2009 at 17:32
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 04:53
dies solis, dies lunae, dies martis, dies mercuri, dies iovis, dies veneris, dies saturni
-
that shows that friday is the day of freya and not of her brother Freyr
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 07:43
Originally posted by beorna

Oh, come on Cyrus, not again please.
What is wrong about a mythological comparison? Please believe it is not an insult to Germanic or Iranian people to say for example Germanic Mannus and Iranian Manus or Frey and Frya have a common origin, I think everyone who has reserched about these things, know them as clear facts.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 09:31
i have no problem with those relations. it is true that yama/ymir and mannus have common  roots, but usually you will go allways the same road, all germanic nations are coming from iran
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 10:46
These are just hypotheses, as I said in this thread, a more possible hypothesis is an Iranian migration from the Germanic lands, anyway I'm researching about it and have found a large number of similarities between Iranian and Germanic cultures, different from other Indo-European cultures, like "the great winter".
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 15:01
I have nothing against similarities but your Iranian migration is really a fiction. But I would like not to speak here about this, because you hijacked so many other threads before.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 15:20
Bear, I know nothing about "other times" on this site! "Hijacking" a thread is a coarse term! In other words, without "coarse" replies, there could be no "hi-jack!" To say "your Iranian migration is really a fiction" is a non winner!

You must know that your "certainty" is merely the "best guess" based upon the agreed upon suppositions! There is "no fact!", merely "best guesses!"

Cyrus has been a most gracious host for me since I began here, but it also seems that we share some commonalities!

I will end this post with this site;

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=mabie&book=norse&story=twilight

"The long nights and the short, dark days followed fast upon each other, and as the time drew near when summer would come again men's hearts grew light with hope once more. Each day they looked into the sullen skies, through which clouds of snow were whirling, and said to each other, "To-morrow the summer will come;" but when the morrow came no summer came with it. And all through the months that in other days had been beautiful with flowers the snow fell steadily, [236] and the cold winds blew fiercely, while eyes grew sad and hearts heavy with waiting for a summer that did not come. And it never came again; for this was the terrible Fimbul-winter, long foretold, from which even the gods could not escape. In Jotunheim there was joy among the frost-giants as they shouted to each other through the howling storms, "The Fimbul-winter has come at last." At first men shuddered as they whispered, "Can it be the Fimbul-winter?" But when they knew it beyond all doubting a blind despair filled them, and they were reckless alike of good or evil. Over the whole earth war followed fast upon war, and everywhere there were wrangling and fighting and murder. It hardly snowed fast enough to cover the blood-stains. Mothers [237] forgot to love their little children, and brothers struck each other down as if they were the bitterest enemies."

Regards,
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 15:49
well, I know him a long time too. Everytime we spoke about early times, of the history of Germanics, Celts or even older times, he came with his Iranian migration. I'll never say there was never an Iranian who put his feet on Middle Europe but whole nations there shall be Iranians as he believes and for the most of it there is absolutely nothing that shows an Iranian relation. His belief often killed an succesful discussion, that's why I used "hijacked". This was especially the case in a thread about the Saxons and the invasion of Britain too. Because the Frisians are close related with other saxon nations, they were probably a part of them, I wanted to stop any Iranian theme immediately. But this is nothing personal against Cyrus, it is just that I can't hear those stories anymore.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:07
I, as an Iranian myself, will have to also respectfully disagree with Cyrus' theory. Iranian peoples as we know them originated from Central Asia (where indo-Europeans came from originally is unimportant).

Like I said before, you can go back as far as you want in history with regards to the origins of peoples, this will only lead to Africa...

the only important thing is to be able to identify a people when they developed into who we know them to be. in the case of Iranians, they came from central asia, not Europe, not Africa, etc... they developed themselves as a people in Central Asia and that is where they originated.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:23
TGS, wrote;

"the only important thing is to be able to identify a people when they developed into who we know them to be. in the case of Iranians, they came from central asia, not Europe, not Africa, etc... they developed themselves as a people in Central Asia and that is where they originated."

Even though TGS also related current thought as to the origin of modern man and women, IE Africa, I will say that this entire theme is also nothing but "supposition?" IE, educated guesswork!

In any event, it could also be related to continental expansion or the currently accepted version? Thus we are supposed to believe that all continents now visable were at one time connected into one giant continent!

If proto-mankind was developed during such a connection, then, in reality, no one really knows the epicenter of such a development!

What we really know is that in Africa, some "experts"? have discovered the remains of a semi-manlike creature which has been promoted to be the originator of "Modern man and modern women!"

As is the case with many such expressions of "science" it is, in reality, only the specific ability of certain "experts" to agree upon a certain "theory" and by the formation of thousands of papers in the "I agree" side, make this "theory" into something that soon seems to resemble "reality?" IE, a "semi forced agreement!" To disagree would or could ruin one's ability to move up in the vanguard of the speciality?

But, in the long term, we do not know if such agreement will stand the "Test of time?" LOL

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 27-Dec-2009 at 17:28
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by opuslola

TGS, wrote;

"the only important thing is to be able to identify a people when they developed into who we know them to be. in the case of Iranians, they came from central asia, not Europe, not Africa, etc... they developed themselves as a people in Central Asia and that is where they originated."

Even though TGS also related current thought as to the origin of modern man and women, IE Africa, I will say that this entire theme is also nothing but "supposition?" IE, educated guesswork!

In any event, it could also be related to continental expansion or the currently accepted version? Thus we are supposed to believe that all continents now visable were at one time connected into one giant continent!

If proto-mankind was developed during such a connection, then, in reality, no one really knows the epicenter of such a development!

What we really know is that in Africa, some "experts"? have discovered the remains of a semi-manlike creature which has been promoted to be the originator of "Modern man and modern women!"

As is the case with many such expressions of "science" it is, in reality, only the specific ability of certain "experts" to agree upon a certain "theory" and by the formation of thousands of papers in the "I agree" side, make this "theory" into something that soon seems to resemble "reality?" IE, a "semi forced agreement!" To disagree would or could ruin one's ability to move up in the vanguard of the speciality?

But, in the long term, we do not know if such agreement will stand the "Test of time?" LOL

Regards,

um...These are facts. its a FACT that humans originated in Africa. its a fact that Iranians originated in Central Asia. The Iranian origin in Central Asia is not almost unanimously accepted, We know where the Persians, Medes, Parthians, etc... came from. Even the Scythians Samartians originated in Central Asia but instead of migrated Southwards they migrated to the North West and ended up in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus.

You can deny that humans originated in Africa but then that will put an end to any possibility of a fruitful discussion.

At one point these were theories, but with technological advancement, DNA testing, and new archaeological finds, these are now accepted.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 27-Dec-2009 at 17:40
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:51
TGS, you said in the above post that "these are now accepted!"

Please read some "history?" Do I have to tell you the number of things that have been "accepted" by the current sicentific establishment in the last 500 years? Do you believe that many of these "established facts" are not considered so?

So, just why do you place such a "god like" acceptance upon any thing said in the 20th or 21st century?

You just deny the invevitable? Most everything now considered as "fact" may well be doomed to hell withing the next 50 or so years!

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>