Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barbarian Invasion: Historical Battles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barbarian Invasion: Historical Battles
    Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 10:57
I wish they had more than just two boring ones!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 11:01
It won't be long before fans create a few.
I was hoping that vanilla RTW would have the Boudicca battle like the one shown on Time Commanders, no such luck
Arrrgh!!"
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 12:35
I was on that Vanilla RTW site when I was looking for RTW pic on google. The maps are cool! 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 13:05
I hope so, because sometimes i cant be bothered with a campaign game and the custom battles take too long to construct accurately.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 19:57
I am bored playing the Sassanids after 3 days. it's just Eastern rome to fight and they are so EASY in battle and map. I think I will try huns or another nomad group next.
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 13:25
Just wait for the R:TR team to get to BI. There's a ton of stuff we can do for BI that we couldn't do for regular RTW.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 19:34

Cool, such as what? 

What really bug me about the game are official settlement religions, how can they still be held when the town converts almost fully to another religion?

Oh, I think I spotted a glitch in the game.   In jerusalem and a couple of other east med towns I build academies and when they are completed the building doesn't actually get added and can be made again

Edited by Zagros
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 19:45

Argh! I have to wait to get BI abit longer, ive read a load of reviews on it and theyve been generally good, but I cant help but think its going to be the same as RTW with a few frills.

I hope im proved wrong RTW was a major letdown and ive actually uninstalled it.

Has the AI been significantly improved? and do enemy units still irritatingly often flee after only about 20% casualties like in RTW?

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 20:00

Yes they do, I had a battle today, top notch Sassanian army consisting of 4 units of elephant, 6 cataphracts, 6 soghdian warriors, 4 units of archers vrs Huns + seven Germanic armies (Franks, Lombardis, Sxxones, Ostro, visi, plus others I forget - all high grade.

620 men vrs 3900, I slaughtered 3600 and lost 220. I think they tried to flank me but I am not sure because there was such a mass of them everywhere, I just kept 3 cataphracts on each flank and when a large enough mass of them reached the dip in front of me I would send in my war elephants.

I like the atmosphere of BI better than RTW, and it runs smoother.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 20:10

Sounds like little has changed on that front.

TW seems to have gone wrong since MTW and VI, battles used to last and every game was totally different ive been playing MTW for 2 years and its still great I got bored of RTW after 2 weeks. I couldnt tolerate the constant need for me to micro-manage every single thing instead of letting me enjoy the game.

I dont understand how they could release a game that had such obvious problems and required the brilliant efforts of modders to be even remotely enjoyable.

BI doesnt seem to be much different and suffers from very similar problems, bah! its annoying how they made RTW into such a terrible game when it should of been brilliant and how they dont seem to have learned their lessons with BI.

I hope im proved wrong, been waiting for BI for ages

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 20:22

I actually like the micromanagement, you know u can set it to auto manage. 

Overall you are right, it is RTW war in a different age littele has changed. I am waiting for the realism patch for this.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 13:10

My god damned screenshots come out blank black!!

Just had a far better battle and intended to post the SS here:

Sassanids: 4 cataphracts, 2 cataphract camels, 3 elephants, 5 Soghdian warriors, 3 archers, 1 heavy onagers, 2 onagers.

Romans: 7 Armies, 2 infanrty, 1 heavy cavalry, 2 missiles and 2 artillery

I lost but I still killed 2200 of 3650 with 580 men, really fun battle, took ages to set up.

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 13:54
I think emerging factions is what the RTR team wants, along with the ability to change the Roman factions more (Do East and West start out as those uber allies still?). 

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 15:05

In any case, I eagerly await the RTR BI release.

I am downloading patch  1.3 hopefully that will resolve the academy and screenshot issue.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 18:19
can anyone tell me what the Alemanni unique units are? or perhaps a list of all new units somewhere on the web?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 17:00
Lombardi archers and Lombardi cavalry i think.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 16:33
mmh, why would Alemanni get special units that are from another germanic tribe?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 16:52
noble cavalry and noble archers are what I meant lol.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 14:11

I got so happy to see that the Sassanids had kurdish fighters, they suck, but still...

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 14:32
lol, don't worry, many of the Sassanid Azatan (Cataphracts) were our ancestors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>