Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favourite Muslim Intellects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favourite Muslim Intellects
    Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 15:45

hai all...

I am not sure whether u guys have discussed about this topic yet 

but since Ramadhan started, I have watched a TV program in my country focusing on contributions and the achievements of muslim intellects.

url add: http://ilmuwan.tv3.com.my/index.html
(unfortunately all in bahasa melayu)

This program makes me realised how great they were in previous day..
Till now, their knowledge and masterpiece has given a very huge impact to nowadays muslims.

Therefore, I would like to share with you guys.. that my favourite Muslim Intellect would be:-

MIMAR KOCA SINAN - Born in 1489. Place of birth in Agirnaz, Turkey.
and he is the greatest architect ever lived in Islam history.

Maybe for those who are from turkey can share more info about Sinan... and share your favourite muslim intellect info with the rest...

TQ...

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 15:53

I am not a muslim, but I do agree that the islamic civilization gave rise to many men who made an important contribution to the world. My favorite Muslim intellectual of all time is probably Ibn Sina. Known in the Occident as Avicenna, he was a doctor and a scholar from Bukhara in the 10th century. AMong his works about medicine and philosophy, his most important achievement is probably his canon of medicine which was still in use in the 19th century as a reference, even for European doctors.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 15:58

I will go with Ibn Khaldoun.

"Ibn Khaldun's influence on the subject of history, philosophy of history, sociology, political science and education has remained paramount ever since his life. His books have been translated into many languages, both in the East and the West, and have inspired subsequent development of these sciences. For instance, Prof. Gum Ploughs and Kolosio consider Muqaddimah as superior in scholarship to Machiavelli's The Prince written a century later, as the forrner bases the diagnosis more on cultural, sociological, economic and psychological factors."

http://www.ummah.net/history/scholars/KHALDUN.html

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 17:40
I agree with you Cok Ibn Khaldon introduced new thread in all scinces he wrote aboute it.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 11:45

Cahaya youre right, he whas a master genious in architecture, in Japan they have university just to research buildings theyre made by Mimar Sinan.

The Selimiye mosq in Edirne (?), that is also masterwork of him, every corner of that mosq, you can only see 1 minaret (not able to see other 3).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 13:53
... are you sure??.... it will be a very nice if u can produce one of the mosque pic or the URL..... from every corner...???
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 03:16
My favourite would be al-Hakem, 10th century ruler of Cordova. The vastness of his learning is amazing in itself.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 13:58

The persian Ibn Sina (Avicena) or the iberian Ibn Rushd (Averroes) get my vote. Great minds. But there are others that I just can't remember now.

I sincerely hope they thrive again nowadays. The muslim world needs it.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 14:14
Originally posted by Infidel

The persian Ibn Sina (Avicena) or the iberian Ibn Rushd (Averroes) get my vote. Great minds. But there are others that I just can't remember now.

The ethnic origin of some intellectuells like ibn-i Sina and some others who lived in that times are unknown, because in Islamic country's they didnt look at the ethnicy but as believers and non-believers (Muslim - gayri-muslim).
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 14:21
OK, let's just say then that he was from that region that we used to know as Persia and now Iran
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:56
Originally posted by DayI

The ethnic origin of some intellectuells like ibn-i Sina and some others who lived in that times are unknown, because in Islamic country's they didnt look at the ethnicy but as believers and non-believers (Muslim - gayri-muslim).

Ibn Sina is not unknown as there are detailed information about him, his father and mother. Nice try though. Btw Ibn Sina only lived in countries where the rulers were persian speakers. Speaks volumes doesnt it? And Ibn Sina was persecuated by zealot muslims because of his believes..

And you are incredible wrong when you say what only mattered was what religion you belonged to and not ethnicty. This might be true for you turks, and pakistanis recently. But it has never been true for us on the iranian platue. For us nation comes first, religion is allways secondary in the big picture. That is why we are still united when needed in a country so diverse as Iran.

Edited by Shompis
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 17:15

Originally posted by Shompis

And you are incredible wrong when you say what only mattered was what religion you belonged to and not ethnicty. This might be true for you turks, and pakistanis recently. But it has never been true for us on the iranian platue. For us nation comes first, religion is allways secondary in the big picture. That is why we are still united when needed in a country so diverse as Iran.

So, from the highlight above of your statement, are you saying you guys are united meaning what? united as the nation of Iran or the ethnicities of persians?

Regarding Ibn Sina, ee was born in 370/980 in Afshana, his mother's home, near Bukhara. His native language was Persian. His father, an official of the Samanid administration, had him very carefully educated at Bukhara. So, most probably Ibn Sina is a central asian (Turkic probably) who is educated in Persian. Seljuks spoke persians and raised as persians, but they are not ethnically persians.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 17:42

Al Khwarezm, probably a Turk from Khwarezm. He was the founder of Al Gabir, the modern term that westerners learn as "Algebra".

Ali Kuscu, a Turkish scientist serving Timur. Considered as the father of the science of astronomy.

Ibn Sina was a Turk. He was the father of modern medicine. His books were studied in European universities for centuries...

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 02:52

And you are incredible wrong when you say what only mattered was what religion you belonged to and not ethnicty. This might be true for you turks, and pakistanis recently. But it has never been true for us on the iranian platue. For us nation comes first, religion is allways secondary in the big picture.

yes yes who dont know this?Infact nationalism comes from Iran not france.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 06:54

A short essay and few photos of Sinan's works.

http://www.turkishculture.org/architecture/Sinan.html

An interior view of Selimiye Mosque:

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:10

Ibn Sina is not unknown as there are detailed information about him, his father and mother. Nice try though. Btw Ibn Sina only lived in countries where the rulers were persian speakers. Speaks volumes doesnt it? And Ibn Sina was persecuated by zealot muslims because of his believes..

We, Turks for example if you ask us "what are you" we first say "im muslim" then if you ask further we say "im Turk". Ottoman tradition i guess...

shompis dont act like a european...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by ok ge

So, from the highlight above of your statement, are you saying you guys are united meaning what? united as the nation of Iran or the ethnicities of persians?

Regarding Ibn Sina, ee was born in 370/980 in Afshana, his mother's home, near Bukhara. His native language was Persian. His father, an official of the Samanid administration, had him very carefully educated at Bukhara. So, most probably Ibn Sina is a central asian (Turkic probably) who is educated in Persian. Seljuks spoke persians and raised as persians, but they are not ethnically persians.

He escaped from the turks when the samanids were destroyed. He was of iranic stock. he was a citizen of the samanid empire until it collapsed, then he had to escape south to what is Iran today. You also neglected to tell us where his father was from... Khurasan province, the capital Balkh.

Sorry I missed your first sentence. United as a nation, where religion and ethnicity is equal.... We do have an incredible racist regime today, where a selected few only are treated well.. but this is not a part of the mentality of the people I can assure you.

Edited by Shompis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:14
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Al Khwarezm, probably a Turk from Khwarezm. He was the founder of Al Gabir, the modern term that westerners learn as "Algebra".

Ali Kuscu, a Turkish scientist serving Timur. Considered as the father of the science of astronomy.

Ibn Sina was a Turk. He was the father of modern medicine. His books were studied in European universities for centuries...

Khwarezmi was born in what is today Iraq, near Baghdad. There were no tukic people in Khwarazm when he was born, he was born over 1100 years ago. The original khwarazmians seat was still the khwarizm province. His nick name was also Al-majusi wich means the magus, this has been recorded by al-tabari.

Edited by Shompis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:20

We, Turks for example if you ask us "what are you" we first say "im muslim" then if you ask further we say "im Turk". Ottoman tradition i guess...

shompis dont act like a european...

Acting like an european is an insult I presume? Is that what you are implying. As said, for us the nation has allways came first, that is why we were successfull no matter what religion, what king we had. This is why we were united even though we also have had turkic kings. These same turkic kings like Shah Abbas had the same ideology like many iranians have today, nation comes first, religion come second.

And if someone asks me what I am, I say a citizen of earth, then iranian, persian and last muslim.

Edited by Shompis
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:34

. These same turkic kings like Shah Abbas had the same ideology like many iranians have today, nation comes first, religion come second.

And if someone asks me what I am, I say a citizen of earth, then iranian, persian and last muslim.

You can descibe yourself as you wish. However, your analysis that nation comes first is not always true. You used Shah Abbas I example here as an Irani nationalist. If he was as you Iranian, Persian and last Muslim, why did he pushed so hard for all the people living in his domain to accept Shiism Islam? Why can't he just accept all Iranians in his kingdom regardless of their religion? If he was a nationalistic Iranian, why did he wages all tose wars he called Jihad against the Ottomans and clearly he negotiated his deals based on religious criterias? His criteria was always they the Sunni Ottomans, we the Shieh Safavid.  I don't think a natioanlist will launch a war and call it Jihad and conquest of our religion.

By the way, your Iranian nationalistic Abbas Shah example is definitely a bad example. Didn't he prosecute and force 4 million Zoroastrians to accept Shiesm? Ironically if he was only a hardcore Iranian Persian nationalist, he would have at least left the Zoroastrians, the religion of ancient Persia! 

D.J. Kaufman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>