Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedATATURK!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATATURK!!!
    Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 05:03

Muslim, I agree to some extent with you, but I'd like to make a parallel with Japan - another country that went through this way. And it all started with accepting the European life style. I believe this is a part of the perception europeans had about people during that era - it's easier to accept people who dress like you, follow your traditions and have some vague form of human rights. So lets not forget that Ataturk was among the first to extend the rights of women and we know how hard this can be in muslim societies. Indeed, he used repressive methods, but it all came in natural at that time - the acceptance of the European lifestyle was the first step towards integration. And there is as well the attitude European powers had at the end of WW I before the treaty of Losanne. Turkey was on the verge of being supressed for quite a long time, he overcame traditions leaving a legacy that leaves the turkish people closer to the European ideals and showed that Turkey can be consistent in having an equality among the community and persue human rights.

It is exactly that attitude that saved Turkey from the reach of the communists, and this at the least has to count as another great success of this person and his closest companions.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 09:52

The Turks were yearning for leadership that would take them out of the malaise of corrupt Ottoman officials. The Balkan countries got their independence. The Europeans even tried to provide independence for ethnicities on Ottoman Anatolian soil. The Turks were just sitting there watching there lands get carved up and allocated to others. The man who stepped in to stop such nonsense was Ataturk. He knew all along that religious leaders sold the country down the tubes and would not be trusted. They might make a good figurehead to pacify the masses but they would not be allowed to run the country again. As Ataturk said, "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken" and "Sovereignty belongs unconditionally to the people."

Iran under the Shah Reza Pahlavi, was also a child of war. Yet he was influenced by the dictaqtes of other nations. WWII Germany or the Allies would present terms that suited them best. A Royal monarchy. There are similarities between the two leaders too. Iranian voting rights for women in 1963, fighting illiteracy. These were laws that both men created for their citizens.

In the end the Shah of Iran was looked upon as a puppet of the US. His heavy secret service created fear and paranoia. He marginalized his opponents to the point of making his regime quit undemocratic. The peoples discontent grew to the point of rebellion. Then the Islamic revolution filled a void that was suppressed originally by the Shah. Now it seems to be going in the opposite direction again.

Knowledge is not repressive. Ataturk knew this. He also knew that Turkey's true master was the peasant. He would travel village to village to promote education. "Teachers, the new generation will be your legacy". "Our true mentor in life is science".

Ataturk did not promote or copy westernism because of political gain. Quite the contrary, people were often or were unfamiliar with his views. He shocked the system. But he was successful. He succeeded in battle, in politics, and in winning the hearts of his nation. He fostered intellect and self-esteem. He taught one to be proud of his heritage and encouraged history and science. By all means try as some might, most will not understand or appreciate the unique admiration by one people for their leader as do the Turks of Turkey for Ataturk. 

Edited by Seko
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 10:17

well it looks like there were mixture between good things he did and not so good ones.

and your article Seko has some exaggeration specially about the heritage point and the history one, from his reformes concerning heritage and history which included the 600 years of Ottoman rules, tukish people dont know how to read their history and at the same time are tought that these periods of their history is backward and against development and islamist whatever that means.

so Ataturk did good for turkey in many of his work but acted selfishly in the culture matter that he being an Alive and not religiouse made religiouse reformes as he wanted for his desire. which obviously didn't find much success till this day ( iam talking religiousewise reformes) just as examples;

many Turkish women still wear Hijabs.

the Islamic Prayers are still in Arabic.

many Arabic words still in the Turkish official language.

Turkey still consider itself as an islamic state ( its a member of the Islamic states conffrence).

so Ataturk in my opinion made or created an identity problem within the turkish community till today regarding their history and heritage and of course religion.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 10:44

Let me start by explaining the history part. For the 600 so years the Ottmans ruled, the Turks then didn't know their history either. The elite in the Ottoman class had that privilege. The Turks were a warrior class  whose only affinity to learned history was through customs (culture) and stories. This is a far cry from scholarly education. With a language change from Arabic to Turkish latin, many new students of history will have difficulty reading old Ottoman manuscripts. They will need to learn the Ottoman (Arabic, Persian, Turkish) language. On the other hand, witten knowlege was not left to the privileged anymore. Eventually a peasant would learn to read and write. It just won't be in Arabic. Maybe this is a cultural trend of nations. The Turkic republics have also gone through language change after the demise of the Soviet empire.

Religious reforms would revolve around the duties of the Grand National Assembly. This was the prime domain of elected officials. Whatever religious support for a Caliph or Sharia law there was. It was not as large as the votes gathered from Ataturks party and later parties.

Hijabs can be worn anywhere but not by Government officials. This point has been mentioned before. It is not hard to remember.

Islamic prayers fluctuated between Arabic, Turkish then Arabic again. My belief is that a personal prayer should be in the language that one best understands. But a group prayer or recitation of the Koran should be in Arabic. Therefore it is imperative for the believer to understand its meanings. Though this may take more time and become more difficult.

Turkey considers itself a Republic with no offical state religion. Now we all know that the majority of citizens are moslem. And that businesses will lobby the government to join organizations around the globe that best fits there needs.

Ataturk did not create an identity problem for Turks. He redefined it. The identity confusion comes from the non Turks. Ask most any Turk and they will present a confident view on what they believe in. Turks would rather have an important figure of their past help define them than a foreigner with no shared interest.

Edited by Seko
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:02

i didnt go to a right or wrong opinions here

my point is that Ataturk failed in his religiousewise reformes and i gave the examples for that.

again iam not asking for reasons or questioning why he did this or that, in another word  a certain reform considered successfull when its practiced and complied fully as the one made it wanted.

in the case i mentioned this reforme was a clear faliure.

and about the education matter, its silly to compare education of 100 years ago to today's education, even the British empire at that time had a huge percentage of iliterate population.

this comparison isn't logical, if you want compare that to a country with similar situation as Turkey at that time and see if that reform did really the miracle or just didn't do much and was rather useless.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:05
Well taken my friend. We agree to disagree then.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:12

your post before was irrelevant to my earlier post, my replay wasn't a disgreement with your post there explaining the reforms.

i just explained my post by saying that the reform itself didnt succeed and gave you an examples for it.

if you think iam wrong then correct me about the reform itself not the reasons for it.

did these reforms regarding religion acomplish what they were made for? did they became as Ataturk wanted?

if the answer is no then these reforms didnt succeed.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:45

Well my first post was in response to someone else. My second to you. Maybe I did not understand you properly though.

When you say reform can you be more specific? There were many different reforms. If you mean religious reforms only then we could stop focusing on my previous discussion on history and language.

So lets get the questions straightened out before judgements. Of course I cannot say yes or no without clarifying the above.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:48

the last two sentences in my last post do specify what reforms iam talking about which are religious and that is a major part of Turkish heritage and History isn't it?

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:50

They are just in between... It's been never like before. Ataturk didn't try to create an atheist people. Secularism was put into the constitution in 1937, just one year before his death. He tried to secularize the government and it is secular, though some discriminatory practices may happen when Islamists come to government. Majority of the people are Muslim, but people who want to be governed by an Islamic government consist a small minority.

Result: Ataturk wanted to secularize the state, not the people and he was successful in secularizing the state instruments...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:54

Seperation of religion and government was one of his projects. If the people (parties) choose to legalize an injunction or edict from religious jurisprudence then it still must to held to vote in the Congress. So there is no barrier that says a religious code of law cannot be assumed practical. It could be voted on if a party submits it. 

In fact a universal religious reform knows no boundaries. It goes on as we speak. Religious enlightenment never stops. Even in Islam there are new understandings that ancestors would not have know. Instead of looking back some are questioning age old beliefs and superstitions.

Edited by Seko
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 12:12

ok did these reforms succeed or not? do the "parties" who participate in Tukey's policy consist of all the Turkish population or there is something like 30% are ignored and considered "Taliban" even though they are as Turkish as the rest?

he did discourage the wearing of Hijab didnt he?

many turkish women still wear that.

he did ordered people to pray in Turkish didnt he?

majority of Turkish who pray pray in Arabic still.

he did wanted Turkish language be more unique with less non-turkish words didnt he?

there are many persian and arabic words in turkish still.

----

so from a simple common sense question and answer as above, its clear that such reforms weren't successfull.

or its like any other dictatorships in the world, making failures sounds like a success to the population ? as an example Saddam for 11 years made the iraqis belive that they won the war while the fact is that they were the biggest loser in that war.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by azimuth

ok did these reforms succeed or not? do the "parties" who participate in Tukey's policy consist of all the Turkish population or there is something like 30% are ignored and considered "Taliban" even though they are as Turkish as the rest? I assume you mean Erdogan's religious party. How can they be ignored if they are the majority of the coalition?

he did discourage the wearing of Hijab didnt he? Yes. Even the Turkish congress outlawed it and, most likely not for religious corrective measures, I still have ambivalence on the topic of hijab. Which was included in oune of our past threads.

many turkish women still wear that. Who knows, lets ask them.

he did ordered people to pray in Turkish didnt he? Not sure if he did. But at a time in the 1930-40's much was in Turkish. But I think your point is to prove that this is contrary to Islam. I would not go so far. The important thing is for a believer to understand what he is praying about. So convenience seems to play a part here.

majority of Turkish who pray pray in Arabic still. Thats up to the majority. No one else.

he did wanted Turkish language be more unique with less non-turkish words didnt he? Yes. The villagers still practised Turkish speech. He wanted a uniform Turkish dominant language.

there are many persian and arabic words in turkish still. Again, who knows. Maybe someone could dig up a reference for us.

----

so from a simple common sense question and answer as above, its clear that such reforms weren't successfull. Wierd that you only see it that way. For you then I agree. He was not successful. For Turks and belivers in the benfits of his policies, he was tremendously successful.

or its like any other dictatorships in the world, making failures sounds like a success to the population ? as an example Saddam for 11 years made the iraqis belive that they won the war while the fact is that they were the biggest loser in that war.  For what leader, not dictator, in the history of the world do you find so many living admirers. None are compared to Ataturk and the Turks that I can think of right off hand. And he was not a dictator. He abided by the law at all times even if it meant losing a prominant position. The law was above him not the other way around.

In the midst of congratulating yourself for your self gratifying proofs you forget to understand that you have been biased from the onset of this arguement. That is obvious. When I explain to you my viewpoint it makes a very little impression. You need to preach to your own choir or withhold from predetermined judgements.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 12:49
Originally posted by Azimuth

he did discourage the wearing of Hijab didnt he?

many turkish women still wear that.

We can look from the other side. In the Ottoman times every woman had to wear hijab but now most of them don't wear that. (Partially successful)

he did ordered people to pray in Turkish didnt he?

majority of Turkish who pray pray in Arabic still.

When Turks pray namaz, they repeat what they memorized without understanding, but in the praying section (when you sit on your knees) they use Turkish (praying for what they want from the God)... (again partially successful)

he did wanted Turkish language be more unique with less non-turkish words didnt he?

there are many persian and arabic words in turkish still.

He was against the usage of non-popular foreign words. If there was a Turkish popular word a concept, then he was against the usage of the foreign one. But if there wasn't a Turkish word for that concept and instead there was a foreign oriented popular word, that foreign word stayed in use. If there was no word for a concept, a word was produced from a Turkic root. Atatrk himself used many foreign rooted words. However, when the rightist coup came to power in 1980, they banned some Turkish rooted words and replaced them with the foreign versions. But today there are no such bans and the strong words live.

Also, in the popular language there weren't many foreign words in the Ottoman times. I can read Ottoman script and I can easily understand the folk literature of those times. However the official language isn't easily understandable (which was only used by elites).

Result: The reforms were mostly successful. If they were fully successful this would be the realisation of an utopia and this isn't an easy thing...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 13:07
Well, at Atatrk's era;

- The women living in cities (mostly) were not wearing Hijab or anything like that.

- The Islamic prayers were in Turkish.

These things were changed at 1950's, when a right-winger government was ruling the country.

And about the Arabic words in Turkish...

There are many English, French, Persian, Arabic words in our language, but it's structure is %100 Turkish, especially when compared to "Ottoman Turkish".

Edited by Barış
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 21:16

i think there were some misunderstanding and i'll try to make my point clearer.

Originally posted by Seko

ok did these reforms succeed or not? do the "parties" who participate in Tukey's policy consist of all the Turkish population or there is something like 30% are ignored and considered "Taliban" even though they are as Turkish as the rest? I assume you mean Erdogan's religious party. How can they be ignored if they are the majority of the coalition?

no i dont mean Erdogan's religious party. as far as i know there is around 30% of the Turkish population are considered islamist and that the Army isn't allowing them to participate in the government.

he did discourage the wearing of Hijab didnt he? Yes. Even the Turkish congress outlawed it and, most likely not for religious corrective measures, I still have ambivalence on the topic of hijab. Which was included in oune of our past threads.

iam not talking about what the government is doing or did, iam talkin about the reform itself. he did discourage the wearing of Hijab? the answer you gave was YES.

ok

[

many turkish women still wear that. Who knows, lets ask them.

this wasn't a question i asked its a fact that there are many womens who are Turkish in Turkey do wear hijab.

the point iam trying to make here is that the reform above and the below is what is happening now.

you took both as questions as i can see.

so it was like this

he discouraged the wearing of hijab BUT many women still wear Hijab.

from that its clear that this particular "reform" about discouraging hijab wearing weren't That successfull. that the government had to make Rules for women not to wear hijab in the governmental institutions.

he did ordered people to pray in Turkish didnt he? Not sure if he did. But at a time in the 1930-40's much was in Turkish. But I think your point is to prove that this is contrary to Islam. I would not go so far. The important thing is for a believer to understand what he is praying about. So convenience seems to play a part here.

iam talking about the reform itself not about what happened NOT why these reformed were made.

, what i mean is that he made a reform ok? this reform will be considered successfull if it was followed right?

iam proving that this particular reform regarding prayers didnt succeed as you said it was forced for a period of time and went back to what it was and THAT was NOT what attaturk wanted. or am i wrong?!

[

majority of Turkish who pray pray in Arabic still. Thats up to the majority. No one else.

this belong to the above statment above and its not a question. its like the first one.

here iam saying that he wanted prayers to be in Turkish and what he wanted regarding the prayers isn't followed by the Turkish.

which mean this particular part of the reform didnt succeed. why? because it is not being followed. as simple as that.

[

he did wanted Turkish language be more unique with less non-turkish words didnt he? Yes. The villagers still practised Turkish speech. He wanted a uniform Turkish dominant language.

that was a question and you answerd YES.

what i wrote below is what is happeneing now. the Turkish language still has many non-turkish words.

[

there are many persian and arabic words in turkish still. Again, who knows. Maybe someone could dig up a reference for us.

dig up what? this wasnt a question what i wrote here is my proof that this particular reform regarding the language didnt succeed as he wanted.this is a fact that turkish language DO has lots of non-turkish words.

from this a unique Turkish language reform didnt succeed much and the proofs are that there are many non-turkish words still in the turkish language.

[

----

so from a simple common sense question and answer as above, its clear that such reforms weren't successfull. Wierd that you only see it that way. For you then I agree. He was not successful. For Turks and belivers in the benfits of his policies, he was tremendously successful.

by question and answer i meant the examples i gave above who you treated as all were question which is weird.

and how can these policies successfull if there aren't even practiced by many turks?!!

or its like any other dictatorships in the world, making failures sounds like a success to the population ? as an example Saddam for 11 years made the iraqis belive that they won the war while the fact is that they were the biggest loser in that war.  For what leader, not dictator, in the history of the world do you find so many living admirers. None are compared to Ataturk and the Turks that I can think of right off hand. And he was not a dictator. He abided by the law at all times even if it meant losing a prominant position. The law was above him not the other way around.

In the midst of congratulating yourself for your self gratifying proofs you forget to understand that you have been biased from the onset of this arguement. That is obvious. When I explain to you my viewpoint it makes a very little impression. You need to preach to your own choir or withhold from predetermined judgements.

well the system still prohibit any hard type of criticisim to Ataturk and his reforms and Schools and media are keeping the people undert the imperssion that All Attatruks reforms were perfect and the rest of the things which maintained in Turkey.

if someone from his childhood untill he is a 70 years old been told that attaruk is great and what he did was perfect and we are advanced better than the backward rest of the islamic world who envey us and the rest of the propaganda. this person will Belive in these things and will teach his childern the same and all will treat Ataturk as a porphet whos any criticisim against will be considered a TABOO.

and about the 2nd part of the last statment you wrote, as i tried to explain in my last posts, you are not answering my questions about how successfull were these reforms and what you did is explaining why these reforms took place . iam not asking why these reforms took place . iam asking are they been followed?? if NO then these reforms were a failure. if yes some are and some aren't then these reforms were not that Successfull as many Turk may think.

Edited by azimuth
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 22:08

Wow! A long one.

Seems to be centered on reforms for the Hijab, prayer, written script, by showing the numbers of adherents, etc.

Over the history of the republic reforms were implemented. They became law. There are reasons why certain citizens chose to wear hijab in public or not. For starters they are allowed to. So it is a personal choice. That depends on their social up bringing, influence from national and foreign religious communities, and own preference. To say that it is a failure because so much % of the female population wears hijab sounds idealistic. This part of the reform is a secular guide. The illigal part is reserved for governmental office and universities. Many of those supposedly discouraged women chose not to wear hijab not becasue of law but because of personal desire or belief. Are moslem women allowed not to wear hijab in Arabic countries or Iran?

I already discussed the prayer part.

The written script has been discussed in this and other threads as well.

You keep saying, 'aren't even practised by many Turks' as this was a proof of some kind. As if someone had taken a poll on a yearly basis of the whole country. The real proof is that those who chose to live a lifestyle with the ability to vote, wear hijab, speak and write in the Turkish latin script have the reforms to thank. I do not think too many Turks would want to give up such rights once they tasted the benefits of them. Do not get confused with forcing the populous. The freedoms allow individual variations. The success of reforms lie in the number of adherents and its longevity. So far both sides have the ability to carry out each. Influences from other countries have been at work to tear down these freedoms only to find the Turkish citizens slightly marginalized. The core of the reforms stays in effect. Because the majority of citizens want to keep their rights in my opinion. But if we are going to be subjective about this than we will accept that we are following our own desires and beliefsas well. 

Sezer defined secularism as the basis of the modernization efforts and the biggest guarantor of Ataturk's reforms, national unity and social peace, while Erdogan said secularism ensured that the state was neutral towards all religions and guaranteed that all individuals could practice their religious freedoms.

From http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20041112065644363

Sezer said: "The Republic of Turkey has put secularism at the center of its modernization efforts. Secularism is the guarantor of Ataturk's reforms, national unity and social peace. Ataturk's thoughts are the basis of the efforts to adapt to the modern world. He is a symbol of our national unity, independence, modernization and enlightenment."

Erdogan said: "Ataturk never adhered to a set doctrine or ideology. His world view was based on common sense. We all know that Ataturk never believed in set ideas. Secularism, which is one of the guarantors of democracy and social peace, is a concept with two dimensions. The first dimension separates the state from religion. The second ensures that the state is neutral towards all religions and guarantees that all individuals can practice their religious freedoms. In this context, secularism is the basis of the unity of our nation. No one should forget that concepts like national sovereignty, the state and secularism developed as democracy and the world evolved."

Edited by Seko
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 22:27

lol nice battle between 2 global moderators its seko vs azimuth, this is getting seriuos

wers my popcorn... oh damn im fasting

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 22:30
Yes indeed. Notice how we can keep our intensity yet still maintain our civility. I am pleased to have been debating with Azimuth.

Edited by Seko
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 22:35
I admire Ataturk. He did what Hoxha did but without the need to schizophrenically isolate and impover like Hoxha and inspired a ton of nationalism. He is definitely a leader to be proud of.

For us Albos, a big change was needed to move away from 400 years of this:

I wish Albania had an Ataturk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>