Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diplomacy variants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diplomacy variants
    Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 14:18
Can you name some good Diplomacy variants and where to downlaod them??? Basically historical ones, if you don't mind..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 16:28
Well, wether a variant is good or not is dificult to evaluate. The best and more dedicated designers of historical variants I've found so far are B.M. Powell (aka Baron von Powell) and David E. Cohen. Both have created some very good historical variants, most of them I've had the pleasure of playing. While David does try to get them in RP format, Baron is uninterested in it - the result is that not all the variants are in RP format. Another interesting job is Sengoku by Benjamin Hester.

A most common place to find many variants with their RP files is Graue Substanz: http://www.int.graue-substanz.net/variants/index.htm (you will have to browse with the titles at the left as, by default you go to GS selfmade variants of which only one is historic).

Some rather good historical variants that you can find there are:

Mandate of Heaven (David Cohen) (GS modified):

Dificult to play in RP due to its special rules for the Hiong Nu. The beautiful chinese characters probably don't add to clarity. Neutral powers' troops (white) can be moved by secret vote.

1600 (T. Larsson) (GS modified):

You already know about this one.

Colonial Diplomacy (Avalon Hill Co.) (GS modified):

This is the only comercialized variant by the company that published Diplomacy and so many other excellent strategy boardgames. Comes with RP by default.

Viking Diplomacy (GS modified):

Focused on Scandinavian nations but played in all Europe and Mediterranean. A little too forced to be truly "historical".

Ancient Mediterranean:

A classical that comes with RP by default. The main problem is that there are too few players, so they must be good soloists to make the game truly interesting.

Sengoku (by B. Hester)

Played in feudal Japan: 8 players, representing the historical clans of Oda, Takeda, Shimazu, Hojo, Uesugi, Mori, Asakura and Chosokabe, fight for the Shogunate. Neutral armies (white) just hold.

Versailles Advanced:

WWII. All powers have a single minor ally randomly assigned.

So far the ones that you can find in Graue Substanz.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 17:39
More historical variants:

You can find all David Cohen's variants in Diplomiscellany: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/index.html. Some of them are still in developement. All are historical. Apart of MoH, he has:
  • Maharajah (fully tested): the kingdoms of 16th century South Asia (India, Afghanistan and Iran) fight for supremacy.

• Western World 901 (in redevelopement and playtest phase): all major states of Europe and the Near East in the 10th century: Denmark, the late Frankish kingdoms, Ummayads of Cordoba, Abyubbids of Baghdad, Tulunids of Qairo, Byzantium, Kiev Russia and the Khazar Kaganate are the powers.

Western World 901 as it's been playtested. Major changes are being made now.  Neutrals (white) just hold.

Maybe some of the best variants ever are those by B.M. Powell:
  • Ambition & Empire (by Jeff Kase and B.M. Powell) evolves in 1763 Europe. Minor powers (green) are ordered by secret vote but they can't move (only support). There are no oficial RP files in criculation but I've made my own. Ask me (they have been playtested).

• 1900: dubbed by some the best version ever of Diplomacy is actually a more accurate representation of the standard pre-WWI scenario, extended to the Mediterranean area and with some other changes (Germany has 4 SCs as do Britain and France, Vienna doesn't border Galitzia, there is a Macedonia province in the the middle or the Balcans, Britain starts with Fleet in Gibraltar, etc.). It can't be implemented in RP due to the triple coast of Spain (not yet supported by RP):

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 14:07
Thanks, will try to find them out.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 09:49

Hey,what about playing MODERN DIPLOMACY for a possible new game in the future?It seems so cool to me..10 players..countries like Ukraine,Spain,Egypt are also included

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 09:56

and this is the third version of Modern Diplomacy:

Differences from original Modern Diplomacy:

All powers owns only two home centers (exception: Russia owns three).

All powers are divided in a number of territories equals to three times its home centers (nine
territories in case of Russia, six territories for anybody else). This condition implied in some
territories adjustment: Ast (Spain), Sid (Egypt), Tre (Turkey) and Lod (Poland) were created, while
Auv (France), Tus (Italy) and Gor (Russia) were deleted.

The supply centers in small geographical features were deleted (Monaco and Gibraltar), and its
territories were absorbed by Mar (France) and And (Spain), respectively.

All internal boundaries in neutral countries were excluded. So Algeria and Norway now form entire
countries (Western Sahara and Laponia were deleted).

Caspian Sea is unreachable, hence Iran have just south coast. The original Rostov channel into
Caspian Sea don't exist in this variant.

Some minor drawing adjustments were made in map, specially in southern Jordanian border (now it
touches RED clearly) and ARC-Ice frontiers.

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 15:59
While I agree that reducing centers is good in Modern (the game is made too long and stalemates are possible all the time with so many units in play) the change may have been too radical. 3 centers for large powers, 4 for Russia, 2 for Poland and Spain would be my choice. I also think that Iran should be a power, not just a neutral, specially considering that Volga and Suez canal make it not landlocked. In this case some new centers, particularly Iraq, should be created in the Near East.

I don't plan to play modern in a long while anyhow. After being recently stuck with a perfect Turkish strategy by a rival Britain in an imposible bloc war in which I could do nothing but supporting Russia and Italy defensively, I have got enough of this variant. Definitively Gibraltar must not be a center... but a British fleet should start the game there also.

This is the final map (5-way draw):

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 13:04
Pretty nice map. We could start  from that maybe sometime?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 13:45
Well, it was a 5-way draw but basically it was a contest between Turkey and Britain, the other players didn't ahve any chance, I believe (you never know for sure). They just helped to keep the stalemate till we all decided that it was time to drop it. I could have got a 2nd place... but I don't believe in 2nd places, only in victories and everything else. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 14:51
Do you know if there is a Variant for the 1871 Europe. IT would be so magnificent. SO many major powers, Norway-Sweden, Germany, Russia, Italy, England, France, Austro-Hungary, Greece, Turkey, Spain.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 15:17
Found one in the The Variant Bank (there are lots of them!):

http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/1/1885III.htm

It does seem like it has some logic... but no RP files.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 04:19
Too bad. But can't anyone make one. I would but I have no compu now... nooo, it would be so unimaginareable (definetly three spelling mistakes)...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 06:00
Originally posted by rider

Too bad. But can't anyone make one. I would but I have no compu now... nooo, it would be so unimaginareable (definetly three spelling mistakes)...

It would need some reform. If I'm going to build an RP variant, I'll try to do my own style. I like some things about this one but don't like others so much.

One possibility would be to make the variant earlier, in the midst of Italian unification... that would be cool.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 07:24

Hmm, it would. I like still the 1871 Europe.

I believe that there were 13 states: almost a perfect number.

The largest were anyhow:

1. Russia
  2. Norway and Sweden Personal Union
  3. Germany
  4. Italy
  5. Turkey
  6. Austia-Hungary
  7. England
  8. France
  9. Spain
  10. Portugal
  11. Greece
  12. Denmark
  13. Lichtenstein
  14. Switzerland
  15. Belgium
  16. Luxembourg
  17. Andorra
  18. the Netherlands

This would give us 8 major powers and others could be minor or non-existant. The majors would be Norway-Sweden, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, France, England, Russia and Turkey. You agree? The map in my history textbook just shows Europe after 1815 and in 1871. It is so wonderful.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 07:42
I always think that Spain is undervalued in Diplomacy variants. It can well compare to the Ottoman Empire (their declines are pretty much parallel) and to Sweden-Norway. I would hardly place Spain as minor power unless in the context of a world map or something like that.

Also, I like the 1860 scenario because it allows for more struggle in Italy and southern Germany.

Europe in 1858 (source: http://www.atlas-historique.net/accueil.html)

Alternatively, a very simmilar scenario could be placed in the early 1850s, prior to the Crimean War, in this case Sardinia-Piedmont would be a minor power.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 06:54
Well, this is good to. The 1860 I mean. Italy and Germany haven't united and that should give us Prussia and Piedmonte.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 07:58
Let's see what can I do. I think it's an excellent idea but it requires some work. Don't expect anything in the following weeks or months. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 12:30
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 13:22

Let us do the Prussian uniting, I like the cavalry movement there, it is so unpredictable.

Edited by rider
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 19:17

The Middle East one seems cool either..Let's make a poll and vote for it

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>