Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rome Total War Babarian Invasion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome Total War Babarian Invasion
    Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 10:26
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Heraclius

Lol nice one

I actually think a province there would be good, infact I think the map could use seriously a load more provinces. The Balkans for example is pretty empty, you take Athens and you just automatically own half of Greece . RTW had about 6 provinces in Greece originally, Italy is the same, far to few provinces for it to feel realistic in terms of it being a game.

I definitely agree with that. You know, if it really isn't so hard to edit the whole game like they did with the RTR 6.2 I would love to create a whole game starting from the year 525, or alternatively (I think this would be more fun) from the years 610 or 726.

I seriously prefer RTR 6.2 to BI. It was just more realistic, many more units, more provinces, more factions, more interesting characters, it really had it all. I suspect I will uninstall BI in a month or two and reinstall RTR 6.2. I had a game on there as Parthians where I had 89 provinces , good thing I moved the game file into another folder so I can resume it.

I actualy think that timeframe from 500 to 800 would be more good . I am curently making a new map for that timeframe. I would be more fun to see whole Sassanid empire not just a little corner like in BI. In the north tere would be endless stepe with factions like Gokturks and Avars and in the east of Sassanid Empire would Hepthalite Empire placed in modern day Afganistan.
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 10:29
If you haven't yet, check out the Europa Barbarorum beta. It's not extremely stable and it has lots of little holes, but it is the ultimate RTW conversion and when its finished it should be awarded as the best game modification ever!
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 10:58
Originally posted by Alkiviades

If you haven't yet, check out the Europa Barbarorum beta. It's not extremely stable and it has lots of little holes, but it is the ultimate RTW conversion and when its finished it should be awarded as the best game modification ever!

I have EB allready from the first day of it's release. Just a beta version so we will have to wait very long for it.
So i have strated my own mod, although haven't decided how to name it
Still making a map and doing heavy research for pics of all kinds of military units from 5th to 8th century
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Heraclius

Lol nice one

I actually think a province there would be good, infact I think the map could use seriously a load more provinces. The Balkans for example is pretty empty, you take Athens and you just automatically own half of Greece . RTW had about 6 provinces in Greece originally, Italy is the same, far to few provinces for it to feel realistic in terms of it being a game.

I definitely agree with that. You know, if it really isn't so hard to edit the whole game like they did with the RTR 6.2 I would love to create a whole game starting from the year 525, or alternatively (I think this would be more fun) from the years 610 or 726.

I seriously prefer RTR 6.2 to BI. It was just more realistic, many more units, more provinces, more factions, more interesting characters, it really had it all. I suspect I will uninstall BI in a month or two and reinstall RTR 6.2. I had a game on there as Parthians where I had 89 provinces , good thing I moved the game file into another folder so I can resume it.

So right about RTR 6.2, last night I uninstalled BI and RTW and installed everything from scratch due to loads of niggling problems. I've got 1 RTW that has RTR 6.2 on it and another fresh version of RTW which i'm going to use for BI.

I've been playing RTR 6.2 all day and I love it, almost forgot how good RTR really is , it really addresses the problem of provinces and cities. I like how in Italy there are loads of new cities instead of just 1 city controlling a massive region. Then I looked at Asia Minor and was stunned to see theres about 7 cities in the west alone!!!  

It actually add some realism to an actual military campaign, anybody who has read an account of a real-life campaign will know that it wasnt just grab the biggest city and thats it, you have to capture cities along the way, secure a base before you can go about total conquest. Sicily in RTR 6.2 is a great example of this, it gives you more options and gives the AI more chances to fight back.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 01:56

Ah, EB is too slow on my computer for it to play normally. Have you checked out FATW or CTW? FATW has a demo or smthg and Chiv should have one soon.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:13
Are there any complete total make overs that take advantage of the additions brought by BI?
Arrrgh!!"
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 09:55
Check out my new base map, which i will try to include in my BI mod
It covers all needed regions, although many places need the changes:

Link to map

Edited by axeman
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 01:41
Originally posted by Cywr

Are there any complete total make overs that take advantage of the additions brought by BI?

Yes there is one called : Invisoi Barbarorum(something like that)
Check out for this one in totalwar.org forums

just found link

Edited by axeman
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 03:47

It looks a promising mod and looks as though it enhances the experience, however I think its making the WRE totally unplayable, the last thing the WRE is even harder enemies, even less money and even more rebellions.

Its hard enough to play as them in the first place, now by the guy who made the mod tells you to abandon vast tracts of territory because it cant be held, think its gone abit to much towards enhancing the barbarians.

However i'm going to get another fresh RTW BI installation to install it so thanks for the link Axeman

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 22:14
Having had BI since it came out last year, I've just resumed playing it after having a fling with Sid Meyer's CivilizationIV.  It still plays moderately well on the old P4.

I haven't started on any of the BI campaigns yet, having decided to concentrate on finishing a R:TW Julii campaign that was started after I installed it.  One of the things BI does is install the v1.3 patch, which allows for river crossings with light infantry and cavalry, among other things.  One other thing I've noticed is that AI factions do get a little more aggressive.  You have to keep those frontiers guarded!
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 19:40
btw, for anyone interested, apparently an Italian gaming magazine did talk about a Medieval 2: Total War, so apparently they're going to sell us the same sh*t for more with better graphics, more inaccuracies and worser AI...
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 20:27
I have not played for weeks, but I was having a torrid time with the ERE.  I was playing VH/VH, I was coping well witht he campaign map, but during battles i would get beaten pretty consistantly by inferior forces with inferior tactics ont eh battle map... That was until i was able to train Comi First Cohort now every enemy army avoids me.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 11:06
I'm actualy bored with BI alraedy and i've never even finished a campain, i'm waiting for a total make over, RTR 7, or the Alexandra one or something.

MTW2? They could just make a mod for BI, save them alot of trouble, course, don't make as much money. Meh.
Arrrgh!!"
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 16:02

I'm bored of BI to, ever since it decided that my save should be corrupted thus making it unplayable its kind of lost its attraction.

I've been playing RTR so much lately, Macedon is just so much fun to play as bahahahaha 13 thousand dead Romans in a decade  theres so many famous battle markers in Illyria its ridiculous

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 22:52
I stopped playing BI about 10 days ago. For some reason battles with WRE soldiers in them could not load and I pretty much just gave up on it at that point. Went through the process of reinstalling, this time RTR 6.3.

Am bedridden with something incredibly nasty so I reckon I will be putting a fair bit of my time into RTR this week. Have begun playing for the fiirst time as Rome and  its such a change. Originally the Hellenic Phallanx and cavalry maneuvers were what I started with. Then I moved on to Sarmatian and Parthian cavalry archers (which I loved). Now with these Romans I don't have any archers, I find myself having to close with the enemy as quickly as possible. But it's so much easier capturing enemy cities with these handy infantrymen.

I like the civilizations that really give me a challenge in this game. I played Pontus and that was just awesome. I liked Sarmatia, except that their primitive building upgrades left me culturally unwelcome in the Hellenic settlements I conquered. Parthia was like Sarmatia, except more advanced which was sweet. Only thing I don't like about Parthia is they only have one type of temple.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 06:33

Hope your better soon mate.

I've never really tried playing the Pontus, Armenians or Sarmatians. I havent the patience, one mistake and your dead .

The Romans are great in RTR, the only problem is that the Marian reforms are the proper historical date so you stuck with your original unit roster for the best part of 200 years. Which isnt a big deal with other factions, but when I know that I will have proper legionaries I get anxious for the date to hurry up . To be honest at first I gave up as the Romans because I kept messing up against Pyrrhus for some stupid reason and bankrupting myself.

If i have 1 criticism of RTR its that cavalry is almost to expensive to employ in significant numbers. Especially for Rome at the start when you badly need cavalry but it costs over 1000d to hire them!

Macedon kicksass though I set myself the goal of trying to reconquer the entire empire of Alexander since the extended map now allows this possibility, the fact i'm closing in on this goal is great  RTR over BI anyday.

Genghis_Kan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 18:56

Hey guys I am planning on playing WRE on all hard settings. Is there any advise for me? Thx

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 03:58

I outlined some of what you need to do as the WRE back on page 3 of this topic awhile ago  

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5919& ; ;PN=1&TPN=3

To sum it up though;

1, Disband as much of your army as you can, get upkeep down to 30,000d, most cavalry will have to go. Plus most of your navy except a few ships to transport troops between Italy and Africa and Gaul and Britain. There is a small field army in Gaul which you can use right away to attack the Alemanni settlement, if you take that 1 settlement then that faction is destroyed so you can get rid of 1 threat immediately.

2, Sell off all barracks and stables etc in all but a few provinces, Rome and Carthage plus 1 city in Gaul, Britain and Spain should possibly be allowed to keep some infrastructure.

3, Depending on which religion you choose to favour, if a province is close to rebellion then move a general who is the same religion as that city to govern it for awhile. Also try not giving generals with poor loyalty any significant armies atleast in the first few turns. If you favour Paganism sell off all Christian buildings and replace them ASAP with Pagan ones. But only in provinces where loyalty isnt so low rebellion will be inevitable.

4, You will suffer a roman rebellion within the first few turns, but because youve sold off most military buildings, the rebel armies will be made up of mostly peasants so you can easily deal with them. Exterminating your own cities is sometimes something you must do to stop yourself going bankrupt. 

5, Don't try and hold everything, it can't be done, focus on the Rhine frontier, Carthage and fortifying your position in the Balkans as best possible. Also don't waste your men defeating brigands all the time, they are a pain but you havent got the money to keep retraining troops so only use your armies early on to fight true enemies.

Assuming the rebellion isnt to bad and you don't go bankrupt, then your going to be very busy trying to hold the Rhine against the Barbarian and the Balkans against the hordes.

Good luck I guess, you bloody well need it

EDIT: As a sidenote, for all BI's faults, one triumph is to properly allow the player to experience the truly desperate situation the WRE was in during the late 4th and 5th century. Compared to the ERE the WRE strikes me as an empire which has imploded several times over.

Edited by Heraclius
Genghis_Kan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 15:55
thx man
Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 10:38
I also am bored with BI and have only finished a campain as the Vandals. There are no unique units like Spartans or Druids. and lots of nations have theyre best unit right when they starte out. Its like they have the same unit until they have the highest form of barracks.
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>