Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rome Total War Babarian Invasion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome Total War Babarian Invasion
    Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 20:45
Yeah BI got old quick. I think it's the lack of trade, or the massive hordes that roam around destroying everything you've built. And it gets old real fast playing as the horde. You arent building just destroying, and you cant hardly make enough money to settle. I had around 50,000 as the Huns, tried to settle down and was in debt in no time flat! 
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 23:34
I haven't gotten BI yet, my laptop can barely support Medieval TW.  Can you have bigger armies in BI compared to RTW i.e. more cohorts per army?  The biggest I could get in RTW was 4800 men per army (240 men phalanx).
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 08:35
no, same number of cohorrt.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 21:01
Theres a mod that brings some of the benifits of Bi to the vanilla game, if anyone is intrested, such as the different interface and advisors for the barbarian factions, and shield wall ability for Triarii, recruitable generals and such.

http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=722

That said there is much with the basic game that i don't like, the run away population growth and the insane sqaulor that comes with it and such, TR provides better balence there. I havn't played BI in a while though, been playing vanilla. Must give it another go, maybe with that map mod.
Arrrgh!!"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 02:32
Originally posted by Bishop

I had around 50,000 as the Huns, tried to settle down and was in debt in no time flat!

Which province(s) did you settle in? While playing as the Goths, i simply just packed my bags and went south to conquer Constantinople (sacking a city or two along the way). I quickly had to conquer Thessalonika in order to avoid going into debt, but it was relatively easy due to the size of my army compared to the Roman presence in Greece. Taking Athens after that was a piece of cake.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 15:36

I finally got BI today *my birthday*  and it runs smoothly with the recently added upgrades to my pc .

First impressions are very good, still got a few niggling problems that RTW had but the new additions and infinitely faster tempo of the game make it hard to notice the cracks. Also the tedioum of having to build EVERYTHING is no longer there with the Roman factions anyway as you are already highly advanced. The unit roster looks abit limited but im sure the RTR team will remedy that soon enough.

My very first campaign is with the ERE on H/H and after about 30 years its good and bad, but plenty of fun

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 06:14
Originally posted by Heraclius

I finally got BI today *my birthday*  and it runs smoothly with the recently added upgrades to my pc .

First impressions are very good, still got a few niggling problems that RTW had but the new additions and infinitely faster tempo of the game make it hard to notice the cracks. Also the tedioum of having to build EVERYTHING is no longer there with the Roman factions anyway as you are already highly advanced. The unit roster looks abit limited but im sure the RTR team will remedy that soon enough.

My very first campaign is with the ERE on H/H and after about 30 years its good and bad, but plenty of fun

As far as i know, RTR team isn't going to change BI and that timeframe from 373 to 478. They will stick with modding RTR 6.2 to RTR 7.0 based on RTW 1.3 version

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 09:48

^^ Thats a shame

I've given up on the ERE it was getting to messy  instead i've been trying to prop up the decaying WRE which has been much more fun, I've survived 25 years so far I deserve a medal!  I've only lost territory in North Africa and in Dalmatia and i've amazed myself in how somehow I am not bankrupt .

So much more of an interesting challenge playing the western empire.

Edited by Heraclius
Genghis_Kan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 16:59
man I feel that the barbarian are still not good enough and the horde are basicaly turd. The AI are much more clever but they are still pretty sh*t. I mean why the heck do u wanna to attack a city when there is a full army with all gold experience? But still I loved the game. I was playing on the campagin as the Eastern Romans. Man they rock. I love them more than the barbarian. they are so much discipline. Once I got a amazing army and was attacked by Samaritan horde (about 12XX vs 12XX, I think I got a few troops more). Man I slaughtered their whole army and die 7 men and that's is the hardest. Thats unbelievable. I cant even believe that myself and my friend thought I cheated or something. Well I hopethe next Total War series are much better 
Drusus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Drusus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 22:05
I tried playing the WRE but it was a little hard. How do you get money with
such bad revenues from the provinces? I was getting attacked from all sides,
and then i got the roman rebels which put me into debt. What do u do?
especially for money and making your settlements not revolt?
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 13:00

Well not sure will this works for Western Romans. To solve yr debt, move all yr proper units out of the cities and group them together as serveral groups of full moblie armies (it would be good if u limit to only 2 full mobile armies as army upkeep cost tons) Use only presants for defend the cities. if the city rebels use yr mobile army o crush them. If you see hordes, u better just give them a land to settle down. Foritied the cities surronding Italy and Spain. Prepare to lose France and other places except Spain and Italy. Concentrate yr troops in those two places. Use flexible tax for those two places. Exterminate every rebels cites. Ally yrself with enemies or neighbour countries of yr enemies. Keep good relation with E Romans. Try to keep peace with nearby countries as long as possible. Build money earning buildings in yr cities. Don't outstreach yr armies. Encourage horde vs horde by giving land to them next to each other. Then after serveral years u should be able to play without much difficulities. If u ar good at battles play as much as u can so reduce less men from dying from the battlefield. I hope this will help u

PS this requires a LOT of patience

Edited by Genghis_Kan
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 14:36

With the WRE you shouldnt lose any territory except to the Western Roman rebels.

Your first turns should be the destruction of all pagan religious buildings in cities which are safe enough to do this in, in cities where its to dangerous leave the pagan buildings but get rid of them SOON. Move pagan generals to pagan cities and christians to christian settlements to improve loyalty slightly, but you must sort out paganism soon.

Lower tax to as low as you can without losing thousands of denarii a turn for abit (loyalty purposes), your aiming for blue faces overall, in cities where you can risk putting taxes up do it without inciting a riot or revolt.

Purge the army, you cant sustain the army this big, so you need to get the cost of the army down to around 28,000 - 30,000 Denarii a turn, so get rid of most of your cavalry units and foederati infantry they cost to much to sustain. Get rid of much of the fleet except a couple of ships around sicily and gibraltor and sell most military buildings throughout the empire EXCEPT in key locations like Rome, and central Gaul and Carthage. Despite these purges you should still have a decent sized field army in Gaul mass it together and invade the Alemanni you can destroy this faction by taking its single settlement, gets rid of a major threat VERY quickly.

You should probably withdraw from any conquered territory right away  as itll just drain troops and money. Just make sure you destroy all useful buildings and leave a christian church. You should be aiming at raiding, besieging, storming, exterminating, and then withdrawing. You WANT the western roman rebels to take over these abandoned settlement for 2 reasons, 1 they wont be much of a threat since they will have only low grade troops and 2, they will act as a buffer state to all barbarian invaders. They are invaluable as a buffer.

You will almost definately suffer a rebellion within 3 or 4 turns in my experience, you'll probably lose territory in Africa and the Balkans which isnt to bad as these territories are difficult to hold anyway. Also its possible you'll lose territory in Spain and Gaul. IF this happens it should be ok because you destroyed military buildings so the rebel armies will be almost entirely made up of peasants.

Besiege these rebel cities which are most important and take them and exterminate the population, you can make a fortune off doing this, if things get tough money-wise allow a city to rebel then retake it and exterminate them.

Try your best to make alliances anywhere you can, try your best to keep an eye on the Rhine frontier you have to have a constant presence there as strong an army as you can because the Franks and Saxons WILL be a problem. I suggest withdrawing from Britain, (a mod im using has it so you dont start off with Britain and it belongs to the Romano-British) so you dont really need Britain as I didnt have it and survived happily.

Assuming all this happens within 5 or 6 turns your going to be very busy, aslong as the rebellion isnt to big and you DONT have disloyal generals in charge of major armies then you should survive.  You should try breaking enemies in sieges, get archers on the walls and wear the enemy down, if you meet them on the field and lose youll be unlikely to be able to replace that army.

Economically you'll be in trouble for awhile, just remember to exterminate cities to boost your economy, with surplus funds build trade and farming, ports etc, basic infrastructure and retrain troops.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Heraclius
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 14:57

One final thing, armies of brigands will pop up pretty much everywhere blocking roads etc, it may be tempting to simply get a force and crush these barbarians. However if you have the men to kill them, because of your economic problems it will be extremely expensive to retrain them when they suffer casualties. Only battle brigands in battles you know you can win with few casualties, otherwise you'll have to leave them and sort it out later.

It took me until i'd been playing for about 30 years to have the time and money to destroy the brigand armies throughout the empire, even then it took about 5 years and well over a dozen battles to exterminate them.

With the WRE it isnt to hard to survive, but its extremely hard to survive well, you'll be fighting dozens of battle all over the place and constantly micro-managing almost everything to avoid revolts. Its hard but fun

Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 16:14

Hey heraclius isn't pagan is much better than christanity for the Western Romans? Most of their lands are pagan and if u can religion they will rebel and causes such a mess.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 16:23

Well I suppose you could just as easily go Pagan if you wanted to,  I mean theres nothing really stopping you, but I suppose most players are tempted to follow history and make the empire Christian.

Your Emperor is Christian so if you made everything Pagan you'd suffer an immediate lowering of loyalty due to the faction leaders religion, though I suppose you could remedy this in time. Its entirely upto the player, whatever decision you make you have to follow it 100% otherwise the empire will become hopelessly divided and civil war will break out.

I'm unsure about the ratio of christian/pagan territories/generals, maybe there is more Pagan territories but more Christian governors, so your really going to suffer either way I guess.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 20:59
I'm looking into going back to BI, but what mods are best for it?
I'm not looking for a total makeover, just something that spices it up a bit, fixes bugs, and some minor improvements. Not a total make over.
I know there is a basic bug fixer, and i've heared of a map mod of sorts.
Arrrgh!!"
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by Cywr

I'm looking into going back to BI, but what mods are best for it?
I'm not looking for a total makeover, just something that spices it up a bit, fixes bugs, and some minor improvements. Not a total make over.
I know there is a basic bug fixer, and i've heared of a map mod of sorts.

I once found a map mod for BI, but it was total sh*t because new cities names were in german language, and the locations of cities were very wrong.
Just have to wait some time for some serios mods for BI.
I even had an idea to make my own mod for BI in time period from 500 to 700 or 800, with factions like Avars, Romans, Franks, Arabs, Turks, Goths, Britons esw. But now my good idea lies in the farest corner, because it is huge job and i cant make it only by myself.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 06:04

I'm thinking of buying it, perhaps even today. I have an IBM laptop (T43)

RAM: 1Gb, CPU: 1.8 Ghz. You think it will run smoothly. I'm not sure what my graphics card is but I don't think it's any good... it's only 64mb. comments are more than welcomed...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 06:18
Originally posted by Yiannis

I'm thinking of buying it, perhaps even today. I have an IBM laptop (T43)

RAM: 1Gb, CPU: 1.8 Ghz. You think it will run smoothly. I'm not sure what my graphics card is but I don't think it's any good... it's only 64mb. comments are more than welcomed...

Well your pc is not the fastest but it should be good.
If your RAM is 1 Gb then it is more than good
Well Videocard memory seems too low for RTW game, but also very esential is your videocard's speed. 64 mb vidoecard is in the RTW minimum requirement.
Other minimum requirements include:
    processor speed -- 1.06 GHz or higher
    8 x speed CD-Room Drive
    RAM 256 mb

Edited by axeman
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 06:36

I am waging a campaign of terror in Europe.  I have taken all of the middle East, Egypt and the caucasus and turned them all into zaroastrians and have sent five sooped up armies into europe, taking cities, replenishing my forces, then destroying every building and leaving to the next place.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>