Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New "1600" Diplomacy game?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "1600" Diplomacy game?
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 20:32
Also, why this topic has been placed as "important" sticky in ALL SUBFORUMS? 

Someone has comitted an error and will have to pay for it

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by Maju

Also, why this topic has been placed as "important" sticky in ALL SUBFORUMS?

Someone has comitted an error and will have to pay for it }

Cyrus was kind enough to offer to show it in all forums until we get all eight players.

Thanks!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:17
I would like to sign up.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:28

I d either like to sign up, for Ottomans if possible...

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 15:49

That means if i can count with a backwards head that we have seven half-heads playing it... thet means we are mssing one. And I have a question that I couldn't understand from the rules.

For example, if you have commited an army to Prussia that has no SC's , will it come over to your side?? And will the SC's that your armies are in but are neutral come to your side after a few turns or what?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 16:45
Originally posted by rider

(...)  And I have a question that I couldn't understand from the rules.

For example, if you have commited an army to Prussia that has no SC's , will it come over to your side?? And will the SC's that your armies are in but are neutral come to your side after a few turns or what?

The system of acquisition of new centers is as follows. To acquire any foreign or neutral center you only need to have an army or fleet in that center at the end of the Fall season (or, what is the same, the start of the Winter builds/disbands season). If you occupy a center in the Spring, it has no value: you must be ther after the Fall moves.

Once you have acquired one center it remains yours until another power captures it in the same fashion, so you can vacate it but do not forget to defend it if threatened.

Builds and disbands (collectively called adjustments) are done in a special turn called Winter. You can only build in your home centers, those that you start with (in some variants this is diferent but in standard Diplomacy as in 1600 it is this way).

The timeline of any game-year is as follows:
  1. Spring diplomacy and moves
  2. Spring retreats if needed (sometimes called Summer)
  3. Fall diplomacy and moves
  4. Fall retreats if needed (sometimes called Autumn). After this happens it is when centers change ownership if occupied.
  5. Winter adjustments (builds and disbands)

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 08:29

What's the turnaround time /move frequency in real time?

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 09:46
We will be following the conventions that Maju established in the first game. Fall and Spring seasons will occur once a week. Orders for Summer or Winter seasons will be due two days after that.

Currently, the due dates for the game are falling on Monday, and build orders are due on Wednesday. I will probably shift the dates around to avoid confusion with both games.

We nominally have the eight players right now, but I still need the emails for some of them, and the preference list for most of them.

Once we gather of of these, we will be able to start.

Following Maju's example, we will play a trial season to introduce the game new players.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 10:07
No, but games without any SC for example Prussia, would it fall into my hands or not?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:05
Originally posted by gcle2003

What's the turnaround time /move frequency in real time?

About 1 game year per two weeks, unless there is too much lack of interest/time by players/GM. Commitment is important: you are expected to keep playing actively even if things don't go well.

It could be sped-up but this would mean a diplomatic frenzy and truly addict players. About 5 days for each regular turn is convenient to allow diplomacy to go swiftly and real life not to interfere too much.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:12

No, but games without any SC for example Prussia, would it fall into my hands or not?

Prussia has an SC, at least in the Realpolitik version, which is the one we will use, I believe.

For non-SC centers, they are just empty provinces that have no game value. In the game I'm GMing I'm changing their colors as armies pass by, but this is just an ilustrative practice (beautifies the maps and gives a better idea of geographical domain). It will be up to Hugo to decide how will he ilustrate the maps. In reality, the only thing that belongs to any power are SCs, while non-SC provinces don't matter who they belong to actually.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 23:42
It was brought to my attention that we need a ninth player. So we need one more person.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 02:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

It was brought to my attention that we need a ninth player. So we need one more person.

No, we need just 8 players and one GM. Not sure if that's what you mean?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 08:57
Count them again, we need nine

This list is from the info box in Realpolitik

1. Denmark:   Jutland, Zealand, Scania, Vestlandet.
2. England:   Ireland, Wales, London.
3. France:    Paris, Gascony, Burgundy, Provence.
4. HabsburgEmpire: Bohemia, Austria, Croatia.
5. OttomanEmpire: Egypt, Anatolia, Constantinople, Greece.
6. Poland:    White Russia, Warsaw, Cracow.
7. Russia:    Voronezj, Moscow, Novgorod.
8. Spain:     Flanders, Naples, Castille, Granada.
9. Sweden:    Finland, Estonia, Stockholm, Bergsl*gen.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:16
Ahh, yes, maju was thinking of another version. Not sure which but i am pretty sure it didn't include habsburg empire.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:22
Ok, 9 powers then. I was convinced they were 8 somehow... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:27

Well, atleast I didn''t see a Realpolitik version of the 1600 version. There was one with 72 SC's and that was almost all the NE Hemisphere but no 1600 one.

Well, if there are no wanters we might do the ifrst one (Maju's) but if one wants to ally with us during the training session he or she is allowed???

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 14:38

Well, atleast I didn''t see a Realpolitik version of the 1600 version. There was one with 72 SC's and that was almost all the NE Hemisphere but no 1600 one.

In the opening post of this topic there's a hotlink to unload the RP files directly (I realized that browsing in GS site is a little mess for non-initiated).

Well, if there are no wanters we might do the ifrst one (Maju's) but if one wants to ally with us during the training session he or she is allowed???

I don't have any diferent version, I just made an error when counting the countries.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 16:02
Come on, we need one more person!
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 08:51
Ok,I would like to sign up
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>