Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New "1600" Diplomacy game?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "1600" Diplomacy game?
    Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 10:38
I have sent messages directly to those from whom I am missing an email. If you haven't heard from me, you are fine

The player hasn't answered my pm, but hasn't read it either.

We need one more player to start the game. Whoever says "me" first gets the slot, including our MIA player.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 11:51
I can play two empires 

Or three, I truly don't mind.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 12:04
If we don't find enough players, we can try a new rule of my own creation:

Russia, for instance, it's the coutry that fits best due to history in this period, would be controlled by another power. The controlling power would be decided by secret vote prior to the first turn and again every Winter. More than any other option gets control (alliance) of Russia and gives the right to order it freely for the next year (Spring, Fall and Winter). In case of tie, Russia remains neutral (initially) or allied to the previous power. If the Russian ally invades succesfully any Russian center, it loses its right to vote for the rest of the game.

Every player has one vote, plus one per each 6 centers controlled (so greater influence is also reflected in international diplomacy). You can vote for yourself but, of course, for other players.

It's an idea I have to manage minor powers (one or two dots powers) but it could serve to save games lacking one player till a replacement appears.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 15:20

The rules for the classic game (at http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Diplomacy.PDF

say that if you only have six players, Italy drops out and becomes neutral (though its initial units are placed on the board.

For five players, Italy and Germany drop out.

For four players, it's England vs (Austria & France) vs (Germany & Turkey) vs (Italy & Russia)

and so on.

An equivalent here for 7 players might well be to drop the Hapsburg Empire, and switch Lancer to Poland (Barbarossa's original country). Or maybe drop Sweden and switch rider to Poland. Or drop Poland anyway. Or whatever looks fairest.

Edited by gcle2003
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 16:37
The alternative for less than 7 players in the original Diplomacy did never work well. The 5 players' variant was supposed to reproduce the Napoleonic wars but it did so very poorly. If we're trying to play a historical variant, I suggest to drop a country that was in turmoil in the period: i.e. Russia. And to prevent it giving advantage to the Eastern powers (Poland, Sweden and Turkey, maybe Habsburgs too) I proposed a method to keep it in action, as a puppet state.

But, of course, the best solution is to get the 9 serious players and play it as such.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 03:04

Originally posted by hugoestr

I have sent messages directly to those from whom I am missing an email. If you haven't heard from me, you are fine

The player hasn't answered my pm, but hasn't read it either.

We need one more player to start the game. Whoever says "me" first gets the slot, including our MIA player.

I suppose it is Emperor Barbarosa...

Lets play it with 9 players...

Maju,I dont wanna share my Russland with anyone else

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 07:20
Emperor is around. I've been PMing with him about the other game. He had some RL urgent issues. I also told him to contact Hugo. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 10:55
I have pm him too, but the last time that I checked, he hadn't read it yet.

Let's start playing today. I will set up the thread right now.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 08:53

Representatives of other countries should not be encouraged by recent events in the Kingdom, for which the late traitor Robert Devereux, sometime Earl of Essex has now paid, to believe that England will be any less resolute and determined in defence of, as our friend and loyal subject of her Majesty Wm Shakespeare put it just a few weeks ago:

"This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,"

Thom. Egerton, Kt, Lord Keeper

Buckhurst, Lord High Steward

(NB this should bring the thread back to the first page at least )

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 18:01

Their Excellencies the Lord Keeper and the Lord High Steward wish to point out that while Wm. Shakespeare Esq. said that to one of them a few weeks ago, the presentation of the life of the late upstart King of which it forms part is not yet fully prepared.

The author is still having trouble with the opening lines, since "Now is the summer of discontent Made glorious winter by this son of York" seems to have the wrong ring to it.

Moreover their Excellencies wish to point out that they were under the impression that the current year of our Lord was MDCI rather than MDC, their secretary's pen having slipped on writing the date on their proclamation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456