Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New "1600" Diplomacy game?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New "1600" Diplomacy game?
    Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 15:21
On request from Rider, this is a proposal to organize a game of the 1600 variant of Diplomacy (a variant I don't apreciate much, all must be said). The rules are the same as in standard Diplomacy but the map is different:

We need 8 players and a GM. Anyone interested please PM Hugoestr, as he is going to GM after all.

Personal comments:
  • I think the map is not very accurate historically, see this one in contrast: http://www.euratlas.com/big/1600big.jpg
  • I also think that the Scandinavian powers are overweighted. They should be 2 or 3 SCs powers, Prussia should be a 2 SC power too.
  • It can be interesting anyhow.
Check: http://web.telia.com/~u13214882/1600.htm, this site, by the creator of the variant, has everything on it.

Or almost. It doesn't include a link to the RP files, which you can download at GraueSubstanz or just clicking here (direct download).

If you don't have Realpolitik, you can download it here: http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Notice that the people of GS have slightly modified the map, compared with that in Tommy Larsson's site. The one I posted is that used in GS, which has RP files, a very valuable commodity.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 15:30
Hugoestr has vlunteered to GM this game. That means that we already have 2 players: Rider and myself. 

We only need 6 more.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 16:11
Thats interesting.  But one is enough for me, thanks!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:29
Do rivers play any signficance on the map?
As they seem to be oddly represented there.
Arrrgh!!"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:33
I would like to enlist on the game
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:48
Originally posted by Cywr

Do rivers play any signficance on the map?
As they seem to be oddly represented there.

They are supposed to be navigable canals: this feature allows for Russia and Poland to create fleets without having to modify other rules.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 18:00
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

I would like to enlist on the game

Excellent, that's three in (as far as I know). PM Hugoestr (the GM) with an email adress.

If you have any doubts on gameplay you can ask here, you can also browse the previous topics on Diplomacy and you can read the standard Diplomacy rules 1992 (PDF).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 18:44
Yes, PM me your email address. As you do so, I will add you to an email list that I am setting up for the game.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 19:00
Also, please download Realpolitik, especially if you are new to the game. It will help you understand the rules better, and you will be able to play out some scenarios and see what happens.

Once you have Realpolitik, unzipped the 1600 file into the Variant Files folder. When you start the application again, 1600 will be there.

Hopefully I will get all of this information together in as help files.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 21:01
I am interested, but am already playing a diplomacy game.  I would not want to hog two positions.  Sign me up as an observer. 

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 11:31
So far we have two confirmed players and one observer. Promote the game! The faster we gather eight people, the sooner we will start playing.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 12:49
I got email confirmations for two more players. So far we have four players and one observer.

I have been sending you guys invites from yahoo groups. If you don't get them within 24 hours, please send me a pm so that we can troubleshoot the problem.

The most likely reason for this is that the anti-spam software that your mail client uses is filtering it out. There are simple ways of solving this problem.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 14:46

The regions of Eastern-Western Hungary, Besarbia, Transylvania belonged to the Ottoman Empire. Crimea was a dependent Khanate, so also Ottoman authority there. Batum and southern Georgia was also Ottoman terratorry with western and southern Azerbaijan until Tabriz.

Also the regions called North Africa belonged to Ottoman Empire until Moroccan Sultanate. South of Libya and Egypt until modern northern Sudan was under Ottoman control...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 15:00
Let me make something clear about the yahoo group.

I am mainly using it for sending results. I will also save there some documents that I am making.

I am using a yahoo group for two reasons: your email is not in the to: list and because I find it easier to send a single email to everyone that one.

The game's presses and results will be published on a thread in this forum, the same way that the other game has been.

Mbote View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mbote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 16:37
I'm kind of new here, I'm just wonering how you play this game, it looks like a cool game. 
Hunt or be hunted
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 17:07
We're plain' it turn by turn, the rules are posted somewhere with a link. I read a little part of them and understood.. atleast i think  i understand. it is pretty simple.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 17:58
I will be an aid to a new person if needed.  I do not feel like taking over another country.  Germany is enough, thanks!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 19:07
Originally posted by Mbote

I'm kind of new here, I'm just wonering how you play this game, it looks like a cool game. 

Look at the other Diplomacy topics in General gaming, two of them are a little behind (2nd page), but the current standard Dip01 game is always among the three toppers. The old topics though contain more info on how the game is played. Anyhow take a look at the rules (PDF file).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 19:51
Originally posted by Mbote

PM me your email and I can add to the list to either play or observe. The rules for how to play are easy, although there are a few subtle points which we will be happy to guide you through them
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 20:25
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

The regions of Eastern-Western Hungary, Besarbia, Transylvania belonged to the Ottoman Empire. Crimea was a dependent Khanate, so also Ottoman authority there. Batum and southern Georgia was also Ottoman terratorry with western and southern Azerbaijan until Tabriz.

Also the regions called North Africa belonged to Ottoman Empire until Moroccan Sultanate. South of Libya and Egypt until modern northern Sudan was under Ottoman control...

Right! That's one of the reasons I'm not enthusiastic of this variant. Still, if you read the game designer's site (link in top post), he says that he made those changes because:
a) playability needs
b) most of those areas were under powerful local warlords (that's what he says)

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>