Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst armies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst armies in history
    Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 02:58

Hello you all.

Determining the worst army must be put in the context of wars or time periods that wars were fought in. For example, I would have chosen the French army as the worst in WWII if it werent for the Italians who literally were a curse on the Germans rather than a blessing failing in every campaign even with immense odds in their favor. They went to war to relieve Germans only to find themselves asking the Germans to do the exact opposite and thus saving Russia from annihilation.  None the less, the French didnt even put up a decent fight against the Germans in 1940 in defense of their country (unlike the Italians did in Sicily though with German help) nor did they launch a guerilla war worth mentioning. But to their credit they rebuilt their army remarkably fast and from the beginning and by the wars end managed to at least do some pretty good performance. The Soviet would have been definitely first because of what happened in Barbarossa (2 million POW in only one month!!!) to their credit they fought the onslaught of the Nazis with 19th century hunting rifles and no air support but they stopped the Germans in only 6 months. The Mexican Army deserves a prime spot since it was good for nothing from the very beginning.

A final note on Algeria and it war of independence. Well I am sorry to state some facts about that war that few people know or want to hear. First, the French alone had 400 000 war hardened men, excluding the 150 000 harkis, from 1957 till the wars end in 1961 while the number of the rebels never exceeded, as the French say, 25000 at any given instance. Second, after going back to Time magazines free archive, there is no better source than first hand accounts, the rebels didnt even have enough fire arms so they in many instances resorted to machetes and axes, now I neednt describe what the French had at their disposal. Third, and here is the remarkable story, ONE QUARTER of the Algerian population (from 1.8-2.5 million) were put en mass in exposed concentration camps (called villages) with little food and NO clean water, half on them were under curfew and the rest were largely supportive of France. Fourth, No, the French didnt win the war, they lost it and lost it miserably, the Algerian rebels controlled much of the mountains of the north for the most part of the war, when ever the French come they disappear and when they go they return. They established in the areas that they controlled a network of schools, clinics, makeshift hospitals and somewhat of a quasi-judicial system and it was never broken. The successful Challe ended up with the FLN reorganizing it army and returning to the same locations liberated earlier two months after the success of the operation.

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah   

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 03:21
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

But special mention has to go to the Lebanese army in the recent war.

Lebanese army is one of the if not the biggest pussy in the world. With tons of US military equipment and US dollars poured in, they still couldn't eradicate the few hundred Fatah Al-Islam insurgents in the refugee camp for nearly 3 months standoff. As a matter of fact , they suffered almost twice the number of casualty than insurgents they killed (Last time I checked there is only 60 to 70 insurgents were killed while more than 120 Lebanese soldiers died during the conflict).
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 05:49
Originally posted by Al Jassas

from 1957 till the wars end in 1961 while the number of the rebels never exceeded, as the French say, 25000 at any given instance.

rebels were 46 000 in Algeria in 1958 and several thousands in Morocco and Tunisia but for them after 1958 they practically couldn't return any more to Algeria....

the rebels didnt even have enough fire arms so they in many instances resorted to machetes and axes, now I neednt describe what the French had at their disposal.

after their defeats in 1959 1960 it's probable...

Before they were sufficiently armed to try to attack the ligne Morice at Tunisian Border with mortars and machine guns ...

Fourth, No, the French didnt win the war, they lost it and lost it miserably, the Algerian rebels controlled much of the mountains of the north for the most part of the war, when ever the French come they disappear and when they go they return. They established in the areas that they controlled a network of schools, clinics, makeshift hospitals and somewhat of a quasi-judicial system and it was never broken. The successful Challe ended up with the FLN reorganizing it army and returning to the same locations liberated earlier two months after the success of the operation

After 1959 1960 the rebellion was militarily crushed and without too much difficulty
the last men of the maquis were cut of the external assistance, they tried to survive rather than to fight.

Edited by Tancrde - 14-Aug-2007 at 05:53
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:02
Originally posted by Killabee

Lebanese army is one of the if not the biggest pussy in the world. With tons of US military equipment and US dollars poured in, they still couldn't eradicate the few hundred Fatah Al-Islam insurgents in the refugee camp for nearly 3 months standoff. As a matter of fact , they suffered almost twice the number of casualty than insurgents they killed (Last time I checked there is only 60 to 70 insurgents were killed while more than 120 Lebanese soldiers died during the conflict).

you're right.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:08

Sorry to disappoint you Tancrede but facts are facts, if you return to Time magazines archives you will find that what I said was the truth. The only error that I made is in the numbers of the French army, it was 450 000 according to Colliers year book of 1958 and the French estimate of the rebel forces was as I said 25000-30000 men. As for the crushing of the rebellion, well it was not crushed, they continued to be deadly, launch successful attacks and remain in control of large areas.

Regards

Al-Jassas

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:25
Byzantine army 14-15 centuryThumbs%20Down

Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:39

Sorry to disappoint you Tancrede but facts are facts

you didn't disappoint me.

if you return to Time magazines archives you will find that what I said was the truth. The only error that I made is in the numbers of the French army, it was 450 000 according to Colliers year book of 1958 and the French estimate of the rebel forces was as I said 25000-30000 men.

Hum...
according to my differents sources FLN forces were 46 000 in algeria in may 1958
and they lost 26 339 killed only during the year 1959,

launch successful attacks .

which were these attacks ? What battle or operation ?

Edited by Tancrde - 14-Aug-2007 at 06:40
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:46
Originally posted by Athanasios

Byzantine army 14-15 centuryThumbs%20Down

Byzantine army have often been inefficient.

Edited by Tancrde - 14-Aug-2007 at 07:02
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 07:19

Hello to you all.

Well Tancrede, I returned for the third time today to Colliers year books of 1958, 1959 and 1960 and again, the French estimates are 25000-30000 in 58 and 32000 in 59. However, the French army in the 1960 edition claims that in Jan of 59, FLN had only 25000 men, and were reduced to 16000 by mid 1960 while at the same time claim to have killed 26 339 as you said and 10 000 prisoners??? Mind you there was little or no infiltration from either border and yet they kept the 25000 number constant. The numbers just dont add up. As for the successful attack in 1959 the average daily attack on military and civilian targets was 50 attacks excluding large scale military operations a day. An example of a successful attack in 59 was the attack on the Ain Zana barracks using artillery and over 2000 men. I should point out here that I do not deny that the French did succeed in containing the extent of the rebellion, but in the end none of their tactics worked to win the war outright. The support for the FLN increased by the day even among the Harkis

None the less, this is a thread about the worst armies so let us keep it like this. If you want to discuss the Algerian War of Independence then put a new thread in the modern warfare section and I would be more than happy to continue the discussion there.

Regards

AL-Jassas

P.S. I am not 100% neutral in this subject since I am an Arab and my sympathies are obvious that why I hope that more discussion is made seperatly.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 07:31

Hello to you all.

Well Tancrede, I returned for the third time today to Colliers year books of 1958, 1959 and 1960 and again, the French estimates are 25000-30000 in 58 and 32000 in 59. However, the French army in the 1960 edition claims that in Jan of 59, FLN had only 25000 men, and were reduced to 16000 by mid 1960 while at the same time claim to have killed 26 339 as you said and 10 000 prisoners??? Mind you there was little or no infiltration from either border and yet they kept the 25000 number constant. The numbers just dont add up. As for the successful attack in 1959 the average daily attack on military and civilian targets was 50 attacks excluding large scale military operations a day. An example of a successful attack in 59 was the attack on the Ain Zana barracks using artillery and over 2000 men. I should point out here that I do not deny that the French did succeed in containing the extent of the rebellion, but in the end none of their tactics worked to win the war outright. The support for the FLN increased by the day even among the Harkis

None the less, this is a thread about the worst armies so let us keep it like this. If you want to discuss the Algerian War of Independence then put a new thread in the modern warfare section and I would be more than happy to continue the discussion there.

Regards

AL-Jassas

P.S. I am not 100% neutral in this subject since I am an Arab and my sympathies are obvious that why I hope that more discussion is made seperatly.

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 13:25

Not to mention the French ,even with the full support of US, still got their ass kicked  in Dien Bien Phu by the vietnamese guerilla and effectively ended their rule in IndoChina.

Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:56

Not to mention the French ,evenwith the full support of US, stillgot their ass kicked in Dien Bien Phu by the vietnamese guerilla and effectively ended their rule in IndoChina.

It wasn't a guerilla in Dien Bien Phu... and Viet Minh was supported by China by arms logistic and also with camps of formations in China.
In Indochina( not only in Viet Nam) there were relatively few French troops poorly equiped with few tanks, planes contrary to US in Viet Nam and nevertheless they fought pretty well.

according to this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Indochina_War

French lost

94,581 dead
78,127 wounded
40,000 captured

Viet minh lost

300,000+ dead
500,000+ wounded
100,000 captured

in many battles Viets Minh suffered crushing defeats( ex Vinh Yem Mao Khe) even Dien Bien Phu it's tactically a pyhrric victory for Viet Minh beacause they lost at least 25 000 soldiers( some said 42 000 ) and their best fighters, against 7 000 killed and wounded for French whereas they had a numerical superiority( 100 000 Viets Minh against 16 000 French) and a total artillery superiority with Katioucha (some of them were used by Chinese during the battle)

For Algeria it's a little like the guerrilla war in Malaya (1948 1960), in two situations rebbellion was defeated by arms.

A link on Algeria war

http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=8&id=8031

important passage of this text

" The FLN seldom took on the French army directly, and when it did it always suffered a humiliating defeat.
"In purely military terms the French had won the war in Algeria as early as 1958"

Edited by Tancrde - 14-Aug-2007 at 18:36
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 20:21

Hello to you all.

Sorry about my double post earlier. As I said Tancrede, this is a thread about the crappiest armies not the Algerian war of Independence, so let us stick to the subject. The war in Vietnam was conventional war, the French didnt have the will nor the stomach to indulge in yet another war only one year after WWII and in a far away place to satisfy the ego of several thousand plantations owners against the will of 30 million Vietnamese. The Vietnamese had all the support that they wanted from China and Russia in addition to the fact that they had abandoned Japanese military hardware as well as a well trained army and excellent commanders (who were taught by the French). The entire population of the north (and they were in the majority) were supportive of the campaign and already controlled large lands. The French didnt even invest in Vietnam half the assets they did in Algeria for simple reasons, France was in financial crisis and Vietnam didnt have as much colons as Algeria. A final note here about the military casualties of the French in Algeria, according to De Gaulle, the French losses until Nov. 10 1959 were 13000 dead French soldiers, 6000 men up from De Gaulles earlier estimate on Oct 23 58 of 7000 and this was when the rebellion was lost. In addition to that, the guy says that they killed 68000 rebels in that same period while at the Evian peace accords ceremony the French military Official death toll for the entire war was 12000 men Confused!!! Remember that this was a Public Security operation so daily figures were not put out to the public like official military. So, just as I said before numbers just dont add up. The legionnaires alone lost up to 1200 men in the official figures.

As for citing Mr. Hornes book, well I can tell you that I had the pleasure of reading the book earlier in the summer when I was at the University and the French to the guy (at least in my view and I am biased) were angles. They were good-hearted peace loving delicates who were forced to wage a noble war on those savage Arabs and Berbers who were given all the privileges that a third class citizen of France had and yet had the audacity of waging war for independence? Ungrateful SOBs dont you think. Not to mention the freedom loving OAS who were protecting French civilians by targeting the French government and Algerian population both in France and in Algeria. By the way Horne rarely calls OAS attacks terrorism, mostly this happens in the context of attacks agains the government or French civillians, despite the fact they killed more muslim civilians between the years 60-62 than what the FLN killed of pied-noirs in the entire campaign. See http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/webberm/algeria.htm for more details.  

Back to the worst armies, I think that the Turkish army of the Balkan wars was the worst army the Turks ever had and one of the worst armies in the world at that time. The Lebanese army is also a good candidate although I think that the armies of most small countries are bad. The Sri Lankan Army is terrible, 24 years fighting a rebellion in a tiny part of the country that simply has no strategic importance and no advantage for the defenders (Jaffna is an very tiny isolated peninsula) and yet the couldnt even prevent the rebels from acquiring an air force. Finally, to probably the worst army in history, the Qing army of the 19th century. On paper, they were great, almost 1 million regulars and million of militias. But in reality, they barely could end a rebellion that was done by warlord who were even more wretched than they were. And when conflict with neighbouring powers occurred, nothing but utter humiliation happened to the Chinese. From the Sino-Japanese war of 1895 to the more humiliating and more terrible Boxer affair, Chinas enormous army was simply good for nothing.

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah

Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 22:50

Back to the worst armies, I think that the Turkish army of the Balkan wars was the worst army the Turks ever had and one of the worst armies in the world at that time. The Lebanese army is also a good candidate although I think that the armies of most small countries are bad. The Sri Lankan Army is terrible, 24 years fighting a rebellion in a tiny part of the country that simply has no strategic importance and no advantage for the defenders (Jaffna is an very tiny isolated peninsula) and yet the couldnt even prevent the rebels from acquiring an air force. Finally, to probably the worst army in history, the Qing army of the 19th century. On paper, they were great, almost 1 million regulars and million of militias. But in reality, they barely could end a rebellion that was done by warlord who were even more wretched than they were. And when conflict with neighbouring powers occurred, nothing but utter humiliation happened to the Chinese. From the Sino-Japanese war of 1895 to the more humiliating and more terrible Boxer affair,

I would add Dutch army during WWII defeated in 5 days by a relatively small part of Wehrmacht.
They also lost after in Pacific against Japanese.

Edited by Tancrde - 14-Aug-2007 at 22:55
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by Tancrde

It wasn't a guerilla in Dien Bien Phu... and Viet Minh was supported by China by arms logistic and also with camps of formations in China.
In Indochina( not only in Viet Nam) there were relatively few French troops poorly equiped with few tanks, planes contrary to US in Viet Nam and nevertheless they fought pretty well.

I should elaborate that Viet Minh originated as Guerilla and grew to Regular army as the historian put it "the first time that a non-European colonial independence movement had evolved through all the stages from guerilla bands to a conventionally organized and equipped army able to defeat a modern Western occupier in pitched battle"

The French presence in IndoChina  was not few as you said.  From the same link you provided, they had :

French Union: 190,000
Local Auxiliary: 55,000
State of Vietnam: 150,000[

Originally posted by Tancrde

French lost

94,581 dead
78,127 wounded
40,000 captured

Viet minh lost

300,000+ dead
500,000+ wounded
100,000 captured

in many battles Viets Minh suffered crushing defeats( ex Vinh Yem Mao Khe) even Dien Bien Phu it's tactically a pyhrric victory for Viet Minh beacause they lost at least 25 000 soldiers( some said 42 000 ) and their best fighters, against 7 000 killed and wounded for French whereas they had a numerical superiority( 100 000 Viets Minh against 16 000 French) and a total artillery superiority with Katioucha (some of them were used by Chinese during the battle)

Casualty means nothing if it is imperative to achieve victory in military warfare. The Union Troop suffered 100,000 more casualty  than the Confederate Troop during the US Civil War but they succeeded to preserve the Union at the end. The Russian suffered high casualty during the Nazi Invasion but they were able to defeat the Nazi. In Vietnam War, the Northern Vietnamese 's total fatalities was twentyfold than US but they were the one who had the last laugh.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 08:20
Al Jassas:

I'd consider myself favourably disposed towards the Algerian war of liberation, but the fact of the situation is that the rebels couldn't militarily defeat France.

The French problem was that they couldn't go on holding the place indefinately without thrashing the entire country either, as you have amply demonstrated by your examples of some of the French actions towards civilians.

This is where the politics of it got complicated, because de Gaulle first asked the French military (Massu et al.) to give him "facts on the ground" that allows him to bargain with the Algerian independentists from a position of strength.

From the French military's very limited point of view, they gave de Gaulle exactly what he asked for, and in their mind they clearly won the military side of things. They could have gone on hunting and killing orginised rebel groups, torturing civilians for information etc. until the cows came home, i.e. forever, which is what it would have taken to go on controling the place.

To the politician de Gaulle however such a state of affairs in Algeria wasn't long-term sustainable. Continued iron-fisted repression wasn't an option for him, even if it would have been so for the French army.

So de Gaulle in the end accepted Algerian independence. And it was precisely because de Gaulle made this move, unexpected by a number of the French generals, that the OAS was formed with the express purpose of killing de Gaulle and keeping Algeria French. For a while de Gaulle had a world record as the man surviving most attempts on his life over Algeria.

The thing is of course that the French military totally overestimated the usefulness of a military victory to solve a political problem. That is often the case.

De Gaulle was sufficiently polticial to recognise that while the French army could win all the fights, none of them would ever solve the underlying problem and "fix" Algeria in such a way that it could go on as a French "dpartement". Algerians wanted independence. Losing a bunch of military engagements to the French army, with greater or lesser difficulty, wouldn't change that in any way. Which is why the military side of the Algerian war of independence wasn't where the issue was finally settled. The only military solution would be one where the French army was dieciseively defeated, and it wasn't. The French army otoh could win every time, and none of it would ever help them keep Algeria French.
One must not insult the future.
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 10:40

In Vietnam War, the Northern Vietnamese'stotalfatalitieswas twentyfold than US but they were the one who had the last laugh.

Yes but they fought also against South Vietnamese

according to this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

US and South Viet Nam lost

314 000 dead and 1 490 000 wounded

total : 1 804 000

North Viet Nam and NLF lost

1 101 000 dead and 604 000 wounded

total : 1 705 000
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 05:13
In modern history, i say the italian army in WWII, they collected a impressive collection of defeats. but I dont want trash the italian soldier who showed to be quite good with a proper leadership, despite the inhuman shortcomings (italian veterans did not fear so much the allies, but the thyrst, lack of drinking water was a true nightmare, and in a desert enviroment that makes the difference of victory and defeat).

Italian army in WWI did quite good despite the short comings (and they had much more trouble than the IT. army in WWII but still manage to fight the Austrians and collecting victories like mount Grappa and Vittorio Veneto).

Then the late roman army under Theodosius (the guy who disbanded the legions for federati armys) and the late eastern romans (who got defeated by venice).

The future keeps the past alive.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 06:31
Absolutely the Italian army of WWII.Miles infront of any other.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 07:55
The Belgian army of world war two gets my vote. They surrendered to the Germans after a day of fighting, in spite of help from both Britain and France - not that the French were particularly spectacular in that war.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>