Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bosniaks: Europes native Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bosniaks: Europes native Muslims
    Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 11:29
Bosniaks live primarily in Bosnia and Herzegovina and a region of Serbia known as the Sandzak. They are the descendants of members of the Bosnian Church; a distinct form of Christianity which was aligned neither with Rome nor Constantinople. The Bosniaks left tombstones throughout the country called stecci which are found nowhere else on earth.

Stecci tombstones in the village of Dejcici, near Sarajevo:

At the beginning of the Ottoman Empire in this part of the world, Bosniaks were being targetted for extermination by both the Catholic forces of the Vatican and Eastern Orthodox missionaries from Serbia. This is why, historians believe, Bosnians converted so enthusiastically to Islam after being conquered by the Ottoman Empire. A sort of 'hiding between big brother's legs' response.

The oldest mosque in the Bosnian city of Bihac is a unique example of this process. It was converted into a mosque when the people of what was then a town converted to Islam. What makes the Bihac mosque so unique is, firstly, the original church was a Bosnian Church. Secondly, the church was converted into a mosque within a single lifetime of being built so many of the same people who helped build it certainly helped convert it:

It's interesting to note, however, that the Bosniaks fought off the empire almost 100 years longer than their neighbors in the region.

The Queen of Bosnia at the time, Katarina Velika (Catherine the Great), refused to recognize the Ottoman Empire, screaming "This is Bosnia and I am her Queen!" from the belltower of St. Luke's Bosnian Church in Jajce, the Bosnian capital at the time. It became a famous battlecry. Her heretical beliefs were forgiven by the Vatican and she was allowed to flee to Rome, where she died.

Jajce, Bosnia's old capital. The yellow arrow points to the old St. Luke's Church, where Katarina's body now lies. The pink arrow points towards the new St. Luke's Church, which will feature a museum of Bosnia's Christian heritage. The green arrows point to the city's most famous mosques:

Bosniaks were, for centuries, among the Ottoman Empires most dedicated supporters. They were the only Muslims in the whole of the Ottoman Empire to insist their sons be taken and trained for the Sultan's armies as well.

At the end of the Ottoman Empire, Bosniaks led the collapse in this region. The city of Gradacac became the center of the Bosniak independence movement which speak to Serbia, Kosovo, and Albania at roughly the same time. The leader of the Bosniak rebellion,  Husein-kapetan Gradačević, cried: "God I fear slightly, the Sultan not at all, and the Grand Vizier no more than my own horse."

The Bosniak form of Islam was, and remains today, very secular, with strong Sufi and Hanafi traditions. It also has weak connections to the former Bosnian church, especially in terms of how Bosniaks bury their dead.

Bosniak's traditional burried their dead without any rhyme or reason. The separation of life and death was blurred, and bodies were placed on any patch of open earth - even in the middle of town:

However, it is also very spiritual. Surveys have shown that a large percentage of Bosniaks (78%) are "spiritually satisfied", the highest percentage of any people, of any faith, polled.

Here is a little look at Bosniaks, their fashion, their lifestyle, and their architecture...

The re-opening of the Sultan's Mosque in Plav-Gusinje, 2005:

Bosmal City Center, Sarajevo:

Marshall Tito Boulevard, Sarajevo:

Ferhadija Street, Sarajevo:

The red-tile suburbs of Sarajevo:

Graduation at the Tuzla Medresa, Tuzla:

Preparing a meal in Dejcici village, near Sarajevo:

Random shots of girls in Sarajevo by online nightlife sites:

Contestants in the Miss Bosnia 2005 pageant:

Selma Sejtanic:

Emina Jahovic:

Zvejzdana Sehovic:

Mariana Kvasina:

Irna Smaka, Miss Bosnia 2003:

More random shots from downtown Sarajevo:

The village of Pocitelj:

Photo by Harun:

The Rimski Most, or 'Roman Bridge', Sarajevo:

The old East End of Sarajevo:

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 12:32
Nice post thanks for all the info
Bakma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bakma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 14:52
nice pics thanx,

btw bosnian girls are pretty
Inson borki insonlarning naqshidir, inson borki hayvon undan yaxshidir
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 15:36

A Bosnak Turk
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 18:55
yeah a lot of bosnians moved to turkiya in 1878
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 19:52
A lot of Bosniaks moved to Turkey throughout the Ottoman Empire. It was very common for young men to move there in search of work, or for young women to be sent to schools there in the hopes of finding a husband.

More than 3 million Turks have Bosniak descent, the number increases to 4 million if you include Sandzak Muslims as Bosniaks. Many of them still speak a dialect of Bosnian in addition to Turkish, they still celebrate some Bosnian holidays, and maintain their own styles of music. They live mainly in Western Turkey, in Balikasehir (sp?) and Edirne.

The main mass migrations of Bosniaks to Turkey happened in 1878, 1918, and 1945-1970.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 07:18

thanks alot for the photos.. they're great...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 08:42
Damn, you always made excelent thread, where ever you are at
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 12:28
Edited my first post with more pics and information.
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 16:06

Great pictures!

Why don't don't the Muslim women wear the head scarf? Only the ones from the medrese are wearing them.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 16:17
Originally posted by Artaxiad

Great pictures!

Why don't don't the Muslim women wear the head scarf? Only the ones from the medrese are wearing them.

Veils here aren't considered a social necessity. For example, if a very religious Muslim man - say, even an Imam - saw a Bosnian woman wearing a veil downtown he'd wonder why. He'd think maybe she was going to a Medresa, or a relative had died, or she'd recently gotten engaged, or she was from a more traditional area of the Balkans, etc. His first thought would never be 'oh, it's a normal, Sarajevo-born-and-raised Muslim woman'.

Me, for example. I wear a veil to mosque, to weddings, to funerals, on important religious holidays, and that's about it.

Weddings are a time when women generally will wear a veil. But even then, it's short lived. These two photos are of the same bride, at the same wedding:

Edited by Mila
Iranban View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Iranban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 15:28

I'd seen this thread before but this was the first time i actually looked through it properly

Anyway, Milla I must say, You always create the most intersting threads and I always enjoy reading them.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 10:20
Now I need to put Sarajevo on my itinerary when I make my next trip to Europe. Thanks for the pictures. My mothers side of my family lived in Saray Bosna before emigrating to Turkey. That was back in the early 1900's.

Edited by Seko
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 11:43

I share the same feelings with Iranban, very nice thread.

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 07:22
GREAT PICTURES MILA  I HAVE LOT OF BOSNIAN FRIEND IN TURKEY.
http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
 Post Reply Post Reply