Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crimes of Crusaders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimes of Crusaders
    Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 15:08

realy, how many albanians you have, and how many of them is muslim?

And tell me how many you have at kosova and macedonia, I heard they were more religious than you.

For Albania, you know She have good relation with Turkey.

Well, reality,world is not like what you want to see. It is also real for me too.

Edited by Mortaza
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:02
ok ge

Noone denies the contribution of the Islamic world to 'evolution'. I do recall you posting this exact article in a different topic some time ago but some of these claims have absolutely no connection to reality... Just one example:
What is Taught: Glass mirrors were first produced in 1291 in Venice.

What Should be Taught: Glass mirrors were in use in Islamic Spain as early as the 11th century. The Venetians learned of the art of fine glass production from Syrian artisans during the 9th and 10th centuries.

This is obviously an intentional distortion of the real facts by the author... All we need to do is look at Pliny's Natural History 36.66:

" Sidon was formerly famous for its glass-houses, for it was this place that first invented mirrors."

Which means since the 1st cent. not the 11th.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:03
Originally posted by ill_teknique

eaglecap for you on one side he claims not to be anti islamic on the
other side he chooses moronic sources to get the information he wants
to hear not the truth that is factual

spencer picks and chooses verses and does not speak arabic to be even qouting the qu'ran for a major work

Argue with him on the web site! Frankly, his book is supported by a whole range of sources, both primary and secondary. He does not hate Islam but simply speaks the truth. I no more hate moderate Muslims than any other group or religion. I have criticized Christians and Mormons here but I don't hate them. Robert Spencer's sources are good and while I am not an expert on the Koran I have read half of it and I do not see that he has taken out of context. He reads Greek, Latin and Arabic but you have the right to think what you want.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:10
Mortaza
Please explain your beliefs about it starting with Adam and Eve. I am not sure what you mean so please clarify it.

I mean we should not go too much back. If we go back much, we only find Adam and eve. Ah and Snake.(I am not sure, christians have a snake with adam too)

Yes, in Christian beliefs the snake first decieved Eve and then she decieved Adam in turn. I was taught this in Sunday school.

English is a hard language

Hard for me.

You can do it but it takes practice and try to speak to English speakers. I have taken Spanish so I understand the difficulties of language learning.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:16

Originally posted by Phallanx

ok ge  I do recall you posting this exact article in a different topic some time ago but some of these claims have absolutely no connection to reality... Just one example:

I think you are confusing me with someone else, I just learned that today, so no way I posted that exact same article earlier

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:30

Originally posted by eaglecap

Mortaza
I mean we should not go too much back. If we go back much, we only find Adam and eve. Ah and Snake.(I am not sure, christians have a snake with adam too)
Yes, in Christian beliefs the snake first decieved Eve and then she decieved Adam in turn. I was taught this in Sunday school.

Hmm, how did we reach Adam & Eve? Anyhow, in Christiantiy, the snake decieved (Devil) decieved Eve and then she deceived Adam. There was a conference in medival age where they wanted to decide the nature of women based on the biblical story either if she was a subhuman due to that fault. Can anyone remember the name of the discussing league and its year?

Anyhow, they depended on this verse too:

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise the head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Unto the woman he (God) said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." Genesis 3 : 15-16

However, the Quran does not break the story to who started eating or who deceived who first. Thus, they are both deceived and both punished.

Now, Im late to go back to your old argument about the Byzentine right over the conquered land.  Regardless of the common sense that governments and empires has no right on lands but the land's people, I think we talked before about that the conquests were welcomed by local inhabitants and the conversion to Islam was slow and gradual rather than forced and pushed. The fact that Christian lives in those area for 2000 years without disappearing or cutting their history prove that if they were to be forced to convert, we should have no local christian population then in Syria, Palestine, Iraq, Jordan and Egypt.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:53
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

MOST of the renaissance was a result of manuscripts recovered from the Byzantines, not the Arabs. This does not exlcude mathematical ones. Nobody doubts the significance of Arab translations of lost manuscripts but to doubt the occurrence of an entire era without them is blasphemous

Wow! how biased someone can be is understandable, but in a common agreed history?

Mr. Iskender, you are totally wrong. We are not talking about philosophy or setting and thinking of the three elements is fire, water, and dust! we are talking about INNOVATIONS.  First, don't say Arab translations of lost manuscripts, it is Muslim translations of manuscripts. Second, they are not lost and Muslims found it under a pillow, they are available but the west that time was like us now, busy bloodshedding and talking about non-sense. Third, we are talking about innovation, please if you don't do any research before you post, i suggest you remain silent till you confirm your point. Where is the 0 in Greek and Byzentine manuscript? and the list goes on and on.

- Telescope by Abdul Hasan

-The Pendelum, Ibn Yunus

-Taking the chinese sources and inventing the first marine compass

-Gunpowder military use, Mir Fatihullah Khan

-Soap manufacturing was in Andalucia. While nuns in northern spanish kingdom were competing which one didn't take a shower since her birth

- Windmill, by Al Masudi

-Astronomy> no need to talk about it. If Greeks had it first, we would have translate it and kept it in their original names like other sciences. But it is a Muslim science known in all universities.

-Math: 0 invented and first to discover the sine of arc or Trigonometrical

-Medical invention: "Seton" in surgery invention known by Al Razi (known in the west as Rhazes.

-Glass: first to manufacture glass from stone Ibn Firnas.

Vasco da Gama had sailed along Africa's east coast, he was guided by an Arab pilot, Ahmad ibn Majid, who used an Arab map then unknown to European sailors. Columbus'  quadrant was an early invention of the great Arab astronomer Ibn Yunus of Cairo.

Now, civilization goes up and down and rise and collapse. As each civilization depends on its previous ones and likewise in a ladder shape, Greeks used their predisecors, Muslims depended on greeks and took off for 700 years, and the west depended on Muslims (either the original inventions or the original work) to recover the civilization. To ommit a complete civilization out of this chain is just sickening

mashallah akhi
but see thats iksender for you, he despises his five hundred year ottoman past and for some reason thinks ottoman is synonomous with Islamic to the point that he will exclude them out of history to further his idea.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 16:55
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by ill_teknique

eaglecap for you on one side he claims not to be anti islamic on the
other side he chooses moronic sources to get the information he wants
to hear not the truth that is factual

spencer picks and chooses verses and does not speak arabic to be even qouting the qu'ran for a major work

Argue with him on the web site! Frankly, his book is supported by a whole range of sources, both primary and secondary. He does not hate Islam but simply speaks the truth. I no more hate moderate Muslims than any other group or religion. I have criticized Christians and Mormons here but I don't hate them. Robert Spencer's sources are good and while I am not an expert on the Koran I have read half of it and I do not see that he has taken out of context. He reads Greek, Latin and Arabic but you have the right to think what you want.

I still can't believe that this is considered unbiased. you pick and choose what you want. read hodgson and you'll disagre with him just because he isnt saying what you want to hear even though he was one of the best historians on the subjects in the west.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 17:02
Originally posted by Phallanx

ok ge

Noone denies the contribution of the Islamic world to 'evolution'. I do recall you posting this exact article in a different topic some time ago but some of these claims have absolutely no connection to reality... Just one example:
What is Taught: Glass mirrors were first produced in 1291 in Venice.

What Should be Taught: Glass mirrors were in use in Islamic Spain as early as the 11th century. The Venetians learned of the art of fine glass production from Syrian artisans during the 9th and 10th centuries.

This is obviously an intentional distortion of the real facts by the author... All we need to do is look at Pliny's Natural History 36.66:

" Sidon was formerly famous for its glass-houses, for it was this place that first invented mirrors."

Which means since the 1st cent. not the 11th.

that was me its from this site

/

1. "No historical student of the culture of Western Europe can ever reconstruct for himself the intellectual values of the later Middle Ages unless he possesses a vivid awareness of Islam looming in the background." (Pierce Butler, "Fifteenth Century of Arabic Authors in Latin Translation, in the McDonald Presentation Volume; Freeport, N.Y., 1933; p.63)

2. "The Arab has left his intellectual impress on Europe, as, before long, Christendom will have to confess; he has indelibly written it on the heavens, as anyone may see who reads the names of the stars on a common celestial globe." (John W. Draper, History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Harper & Row; Vol.2, 1876 & 1904; p.42)

3. "Because Europe was reacting against Islam it belittled the influence of Saracens [Muslims] and exaggerated its dependence on its Greek and Roman heritage. So today an important task for us is to correct this false emphasis and to acknowledge fully our debt to the Arab and Islamic world" (W. Montgomery Watt, Islamic Surveys: The Influence of Islam on Medieval Europe; Edinburgh, England; 1972; p.84).

4. "One of the hallmarks of civilized man is knowledge of the past - [including]the past of others with whom one's own culture has had repeated and fruitful contact; or the past of any group that has contributed to the ascent of man. The Arabs fit profoundly into both of the latter two categories. But in the West the Arabs are not well known. Victims of ignorance as well as misinformation, they and their culture have often been stigmatized from afar" (John Hayes, The Genius of Arab Civilization: Source of Renaissance; MIT Press, 1983; p. 2)

5. "Too often science in Arabia has been seen as nothing more than a holding operation. The area has been viewed as a giant storehouse for previously discovered scientific results, keeping them until they could be passed on for use in the West. But this is, of course, a travesty of the truth. Certainly the Arabs did inherit Greek science - and some Indian and Chinese science too, for that matter - and later passed it on to the West. But this is far from being all they did" (Colin Ronan, Science: Its History and Development Among World's Cultures; New York; 1982; p.203).

6. An eminent mid-20th century scholar, George Sarton (Harvard Univ.), traces the "roots" of Western intellectual development to the Arab tradition, which was "the outstanding stream, and remained until 14th century one of the largest streams of medieval thought." Further, "The Arabs were standing on the shoulders of their Greek forerunners, just as the Americans are standing on the shoulders of their European ones. There is nothing wrong in that." Then Sarton criticizes those who "will glibly say `The Arabs simply translated Greek writings, they were industrious imitators...' This is not absolutely untrue, but is such a small part of the truth, that when it is allowed to stand alone, it is worse than a lie" (George Sarton, A Guide to the History of Science; Mass.; 1952; pp.27-28).

/

The well-known early 12th century Englishman, Adelard of Bath, often proudly acknowledged his debt to the Arabs - "trained (as he says) by Arab scientists....I was taught by my Arab masters to be led only by reason, whereas you were taught to follow the halter of the captured image of ancient authority [i.e., authority of the Church]" (Tina Stiefel, The Intellectual Revolution in Twelfth Century Europe; St. Martin's Press, N.Y., 1989; pp.71, 80).

/

Books on science translated from Arabic

Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 17:07
qoutations on Islamic history.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 20:42

Can you please supply me with the sources you acquired those quotes from?

Sure thing.

Henry Hodgekinson, Scanderbeg

Is this suppose to be a joke? I asked earlier for your reference of those quotes of Michael Kritovoulos about massacring the inhabitants of Constantinepole by the Ottomans, and you provide me with a book of Albanian struggle for independance?

Anyhow, I lost my interest. If you have no resources for that, it is fine. Afterall, even if we discovered where the hell you got those quotes from, it won't matter.  Why should I even quote a historian who is paid for writing a biography of his sultan as Michael Kritovoulos. I just pray that when i get to the library to flip this book and look for Michael Kritovoulos I will find something, otherwise, you're credibility is in big trouble!

Scanderbeg

Harry Hodgkinson                     Centre for Albanian Studies            ISBN 9 781903 616154

This is the first biography of the Albanian national hero Scanderbeg in modern times. It covers his early life and how he brought together the disparate Albanian groupings into an army which resisted the Ottoman empire when it was arguably at its strongest. This is a wonderfully written history of a fascinating, charismatic leader. Highly recommended.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 22:18
Is this suppose to be a joke? I asked earlier for your reference of those quotes of Michael Kritovoulos about massacring the inhabitants of Constantinepole by the Ottomans, and you provide me with a book of Albanian struggle for independance?

Whatever Cog, the quote, as Hodgkinson mentioned or now is he supposed to be ****ing his ass off?, came edirectly from Kritovoulos from a man who studied the character for years before he wrote the book. You want to believe your muslims were a fairytale people, loving others and science, going to the land of others and spreading joy and love, fine. I couldn't careless, I believe history when its written, especially considering the author was not an Alb, not did he have anything to do with us, the editions to the book were made recently. The events are written as they were originally. Mehmed terrorized, slaughtered and enslaved the people into finally giving in to help his deluded idea of once again re-uniting the Roman empire(he needed Albania to launch his attack to Italy), an empire he though, , he had anything to do with. Infact, documents even show his massacre of the people in Otranto, men to be specific, when he made the invasion. The man was clearly not afraid to do anything in order to make his dreams come true.

Well, reality,world is not like what you want to see. It is also real for me too.

Mortaza, I've quite had enough with getting into these same debates with you over and over and over. It annoys not only me, but others around them, I don't like to get off-topic, I simply gave quotes from a historian showing the "love" muslims gave to many of the people they conquered.
You really want to keep arguing over how many times Albs go into Mosques we never even cared to build, PM me.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 19:36

Whatever Cog, the quote, as Hodgkinson mentioned or now is he supposed to be ****ing his ass off?

No need to get mad. Though Im still heading to the library to uncover the mistery of your quotes. Ta Ta taaaa (we need a background music that can be attached to posts)

D.J. Kaufman
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 19:53

Religion. Most of albanian is muslim, with our without your wish. If I am not wrong, muslim ones have no hard feeling against Turks. Dont idea about arabs. Christian ones, hate arabs, and they have some hard feeling to turks.

Ask the avrg. Alb himself if he feels any affinity to Turks or Arabs and youll get the answer. Sorry but religion does not define our affinity, our nationality does, hell its part of our nations motto...

Now lets get off my boring people.

i did they think they share common heritage with turks
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 20:12

You thought wrong.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 21:00

You thought wrong.

you mean you believe that they thought wrong
Beijingguy View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Beijingguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 04:22

The mongols today worship GenggisKhan as a founding father of their nations, whether be them in Mongolia or in Inner Mongolia of China. In China, Mongolians have his pictures in their yurts, my Mongolian classmate even hang the pic of GengghisKhan in the dormitory.

While in history and to most of the conquered ppls Mongols and GengghiaKhan are no heros to them, since he and his horde bring only death and destrution, think about it, would you cheer it if you own nation was invaded and suffered under foreign or alien forces, no one will.As a Han Chinese with great appreciation for ancient heros who resisted the "Barbarians" i would definitely fight to the last drop of my blood against the Mongols led by GengghisKhan no matter how strong they are, because as old Chinese says, "it is ones responsbility to serve the country when it faces danger",  also " to fight the enemy in battlefield, if only you dead body returns, it is a honor!" i personally cheer these ideas.

This feeling so strong at a point, i once had a deam, in which im fighting a Mongol army led by him, but i lost. This is not history but merely a dream, i would have manipulate it to my favor, win the wars against them, isn it a perfect chance to "revenge" the Mongols? No, the dream only expose my attitute towards the Mongols, on one side, i must fight, its what a Han should do, to protect my country and ppl, and its beautiful culture. But on the other side, though i do not fear strong enemies, but i know they are just brave and determined like i am. And Gengghiskhan is a great man with great ability and will, i respect his valor and power, for those who joined him not a single one betrayed him, and at the time it is said there were 3 most talented Chinese, who possess them then who can rule the earth under heaven, they are a sinicized Khitan YueLuChuCai , a Daoist master QiuChuji, and a decendant of a famous Tang general named GuoZiYi. Surprisingly, those 3 all "Joined" Gengghiskhan's service, Guo as a general in the Mongol army who led successful campaigns in middle east and beyond, Qiu is greatly favored by Gengghis for Daoist teaching, and most significant of all, YueLuChuCai after strong resist to Gengghis savage loots of Beijing, joined him as his great adviser, later Gengghis would appoint him to his third son WuoKuoTaiKhan, and heir to the Mongol empire his great state counsellor, and YueLuChuCai had a famous saying to the Mongols about how to govern the country" Use confucianism to govern the country, use buddhism to conquer the hearts of  ppl", this governing doctrine laterly greatly affected KubilaiKhan, even to a degree that many Mongols consider him too " Chinese".

Gengghis has qualities one must appreciate, for thats probably why those 3 ablest Chinese joined his course.If they didnt join and advice to him, perhaps his grandson Kubilaikhan would just loot the Southern Song capital LinAn(presentday HangZhou)just  like the way they did to ZhongDu(Beijing), but Mongol itself has changed so much. The savagery were because of their lifestyle and their backward nomadic society, which largely illiterate as well as uncivilized. But once they had their savage power release on the civilized culture they inevitable will be affected by more mature cultures, even their basic lifestyle would not change much, but their leaders now have to consider it since the rule over  not only grasslands now but vast empire with so many advanced cultural achivements.And thats no wonder why so called barbarians once ruled China or parts of China with their military success had many examples at different occasions expressed their like of Han Chinese culture and to a degree dislike of their own nomadic way of life. Famous example would be XianBei's WeiXiaoWenDi, named toba-hong(later sinicized to YuanHong), he was a confucianism advocate, once he said to his fellow nomads who as well as his "Enemy" the Hans," once one is learned and he appreciate the power of knowledge, then the so called "Barbarian" can be as civilized as the others too"

WeiXiaoWenDi though is a XianBei(He's got atleast half Han blood though, but to we Chinese we emphasize culture more than blood, as if i trace my ancient origins i may related to the DongYi and Qiang, which were considered barbarian by the central plain ppl), hes great historic contribution to China is as important as QingShiHuangDi's first unification of China into Qin Dynasty.

And my attitude towards the Crusaders are the same, but with the only difference is that im not a Muslim.

Edited by Beijingguy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 05:54
hi

can someone help me? i'm looking for some text about the crimes the crusaders of Godrfied of Bouillon did on ther way to the holyland.
thnx
grts from Belgium
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 20:39
Originally posted by Orval

hi

can someone help me? i'm looking for some text about the crimes the crusaders of Godrfied of Bouillon did on ther way to the holyland.
thnx
grts from Belgium

They did not committ any crimes.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 23:05
Originally posted by Orval

hi

thnx
grts from Belgium

This is one of the great problems in reconstructing history, how to judge morally actions which occurred in a time and place far removed from our own. As I asserted in the thread on Basil II Bulgarslayer, what we may today consider a crime was back in the medieval period considered typical and common practice. Can you clearly define for us what you mean by a "crime"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>