Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crimes of Crusaders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimes of Crusaders
    Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 13:09

Man! one day disappearance and I cannot follow the topic anymore

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 15:17
The early Ottoman empire wasn't especialy centralised, when it began to centralise, it became more oppressive (same as everywhere else more or less).
That all there is to it really, but people seem to prefer to pick and mix stuff from different peroids inorder to suit their preconcieved eastie/westie gaze.
Arrrgh!!"
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 10:47
Dont persuade yourself, They have no power over the ottomans, I know at cyprus, even ottomans built this religious powers. When conquesting Istanbul, Mehmet 2 let orthodox to live, ottomans didnt let them to live, because they were powerful.

Mehmet did just let the orthodox live, he let the entire institution continue within the Empire, meaning Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians etc all had their church and a united identity under it.

All muslim albanians think like this? It looks like they are indifferent, but christian albanians are more radical.

No there are some religious muslim Albanian out there, we even have a couple of deluded muslims who scroll internet around here. No, Alb Christians are not "radical" they are more religious then the Muslims, they had to keep their religion and their language(being part of the Orthodox church, Orthodox Alb's were heavily subject to hellenization since liturgy was not held in their language) for over 400 years. Catholics lives in the moutains for that time just so they didnt have to fall to the Ottomans.

Is it realy difficult to explain? Ottomans were tolerant for their times. Not for this times. Greeks prefered ottomans instead of latin both at Istanbul and cyprus. Jews come(fleed) to ottomans for their life. Dont this show you anything? People who lived at that times choosed to ottomans, and their sons say their father was tortured. do you know ottomans culture better than these guys?

Dont fool yourself, rarely did people "prefer" the Ottomans. If you ever read about revolts in Albania and in parts of Greece, Albs sent letters to the Cardinal aking for help and many in the Pelopenesus prefered the venetians over Ottomans. Btw, why did people flee westward during the fall of the Balkans if they prefered the ottomans to begin with?

Yes this is rule of jungle, after 500 year they have no right to live at their land. Nonsense, and sorry barbaric. you have still less tolerance from Ottomans, and you accuse them. Maybe ottomans just exile all balkain people. After all because they let them to live, Their people died at the end.But well Ottomans were better than you.(Singular)

Well I can't speak for how it feels. Turks never made permanent colonies in Albania outside of military posts during the post-Scanderbeg century. But I certainly would not be happy with people settling my land without my permission.

You are showing your inknowledge about ottomans, It was not Mehmet, but It was Murat, make agreement,and yes,damn It. He can trust Murat 2.He didnt ever broken any agreement, but your crusaders did. So when they attacked your people after you broken agreement twice, why do you think, they are worse people than you? They tried to live with peace twice, and crusaders broken this peace twice.

Not really. Scanderbeg and Mehmet II had signed a peace traty saying Mehmet would recognize him as the prince of Albania. But then Pope Pius called for a Crusade, inwhich Hunyadi and Scanderbeg took part in. After attack on the Orhida valley by Scanderbeg, the Pope died, putting an end to the Crusade and leaving Hunyadi and Scanderbeg alone to deal with Mehmet.

Again you are showing you lack of knowledge about Murat 2. didnt you read what I write? He did not want to become a patisah. He retreat his throne twice, to interest his religion and literature. Both time, Christians attacked ottomans(breaking with threatry), and he returned his throne back.

Then why then was the Ottoman Empire stabilizing itself in the Balkans. The talk was not about just Murad. Murad was an old man. He would die eventually and what about afterwards? You expect people to just sit by and wait for the fall of their lands?

Cheap excuse, they can change their religion when ottomans came. It was sufis who teach them islam, and It was again them who turkified anatolia.

What do you want me to say? The ottomans were muslims and prefered muslims.

ah damn,what ottomans should be done, what will you done? If you were them? Isnt 500 year is enough for everything? Is it realy difficult to believe they didnt care with your religion.

500 years were far far too long....unfortunately. Im not in any position to be answering the first set of questions. And yes it is very very difficult to believe that NONSENSE. Ofcourse the ottomans cared about your religion. A muslim and a Christian could not marry, a muslim could not convert back to christianity while a Christian could vice versa. The Janissary system was enplaced on Christian children which were islaminized.
Taxes were placed on non-muslims... Goes on and on and on. The Ottoman goal was infact to unite the world in an islamic empire...

Crap, what type of logic is this, without knowing islam, They cannot be muslim.

Its not just without knowledge, but also without empirial intervention.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 16:13

they were just another Islamic empire.

It wasnt just an Islamic Empire. It was a multiethnical empire, just the Islamic form of Eastern Roman Empire.

Because there were no Turks there until the Turks decided that they liked to make the Balkans, their home through conquest. You barg into someones house by force, stay there for a while and settle family, then when that person finally gets the power to expell you, you expect him to treat your family good?

So what? Did you expect Ottomans also to recognize universal human rights? It was for every empire and conquerer in history, if we had even a single Albanian found empire in history, I bet they woul be more tolerant or peaceful.

In fact, the devshirme system was a heaven for Albanians, a gift of Ottomans. First of all, the children were chosen out of talented sons of uneducated villager families with more than one son. Their sons were ducated and became viziers instead of mountain shepherds. Actually the families were pleased with one of their sons being devshirme...

A tolerant empire ruled though Sharia laws, an empire that did not permit conversion of muslims, but allowed and embraced others doing so, an empire that taxed and soldierized non-muslims. Cmon. Yea, The Ottoman Empire had its tolerance in its hayday. But in the end, they were just another Islamic empire.

Sheriah law wasnt obligated for non-Muslims and non-Sunites. Of course they didnt let Muslims to be converted into christianity, do you think a Muslim had any reason to be converted? Ot Ottomans should just ignore Albanian missionaries with their conversion crusaders?

Soldierized non-Muslims? NonMuslims except Janissaries (noe: Janissaries were choosen from every 40 families, and Rums, Armenians, Assyrians, Russians, Georgians werent taken into the ocak.) werent soldierized. In fact Muslims were fighting behalf of them. When Muslims were fighting in battlesides, the nonMuslims, who werent obligated with military misson were busy with trading and getting richer. That's why Rums and Armenians were holding most of the Ottoman economy and trading in their hands until it collapsed.

I wish the Ottomans werent that tolerant. Sometimes overtolerance creates indulged generations and tragedic betrayels. I wonder what would the Albanian tribes contribute to our world if they werent discovered by the Ottoman tolerance...

Nobody is admiring the Crusaders yet Im sick and tired of hearing about the peaceful muslims. Throughout history, who was the most aggressive in what they wanted? Muslims conquered everything in their path, from Iran to Spain. yet nobody says a word on that. On top of that, I see muslims complain that they were unfairly kicked from lands like Spain or even Sicily, When THEY were the conquerers. Its the same case with the Ottomans.

lol. Europeans conquered whole two continents, Southern and Northern America. Tell me the name of a single country in these lands whose mother language is still Native American and who are still original American pagans? Why is Latin America called Latin but Balkans arent called "Turkic Europe"? Why dont you speak Turkish today but a Peru citizen speaks Spanish?

Tell me how much people knows Arabic in Spain after the arab conquest, and tell me how much Algerians know French after the French invasions?

Why arent there any Seferad Jews or Muslims left in Spain? why did the Muslims who could survive from the European massacres after the Balkan wars had to return to Turkey? But there were still lots of Christians living in the Turkish motherland, anatolia, living together with Turks until the collapse of the Ottoman Empire (dont get into the Armenian issue, I am talking about the times before it)? Yes, Ottomans were conquerers in Balkans, but what kind of difference did they have from Romans?

Double standards, are what shaping your ideas and I guess education procedures. But I am familiar with it, that's the masterpiece of some European media who still calls the Ottoman Empire as "Ottoman Muslims" or Ottoman Turks...

pushed for Islam whenever it could and in cases, it would do so by force

They didnt. Non-Muslims were more benefical for the taxes. Also, converting them wouldnt rovide anything to the empire. Orthodox were happy with Ottoman rule until the collapsing periods. Then, with the Tanzimat and Islahat (with more tolerat laws), they rebelled. You see? Ottomans did a big mistake, it was called overtolerance.

Tell me this Ilteqie, would Albania or Bosnia have been muslim today had it not been for the Ottoman empire?

Would Albanians be Christians if the Romans didnt conquer their lands?

Easy. Jerusalem, which was viewed by Medieval Europe as the center of the world. It was their that Jesus died, and therefore, a major focus of Western attention. Imagine seeing some aliens from Mars taking over Mecca. Now imagine a group of violent people from Central Asia wanting to conquer Mecca in the name of God, but killing everyone in their path, regardless of their creed? What relation do those Central Asians have with the people of Arabia?

1. Seljuks were much more civilised than Frank shepherd soldiers believing they'd get rid of their sins by taking as much Muslim heads as they could. When those wild Central Asians were studying maths and astronomy, the "civilised" westerners were massacring the whole population of Jarusalem.

And these show your lack of knowledge. Abbasid caliph himself appointed and wanted help of Turghrul Begh as responsible for uniting all Muslims, and as a reason, taking over Mecca. Seljuks were also Muslims too, they werent invading and massacring the other people n their path.

What they had in common with Arabs and Middle Easterns? They were all Muslims. What other? What relation did a Christian Portugese shephard had with a Middle Eastern Muslim before they invaded and slaughtered Middle East? Let me guess.

Dont fool yourself, rarely did people "prefer" the Ottomans

lol. Believe me, Bosnians and Albanians were desperately preferring Ottomans to Serbs.

Edited by Oguzoglu
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 01:34
It wasnt just an Islamic Empire. It was a multiethnical empire, just the Islamic form of Eastern Roman Empire.

Yes..... And Russia was the third Roman Empire . The Ottoman Empire law was based on Islamic Sharia laws, the essence of the Ottoman Empire culture was Arabic and Persian muslim. All Ottomans did to be considered "Roman" was the fact that they conquered Constantinople. Ottomans were more closely related to an Abbassid Empire then a Roman one.

Sheriah law wasnt obligated for non-Muslims and non-Sunites. Of course they didnt let Muslims to be converted into christianity, do you think a Muslim had any reason to be converted? Ot Ottomans should just ignore Albanian missionaries with their conversion crusaders?

Lets not stay on Albanians here, we were 1% of the Empire. The Ottomans didnt just illigalize the conversion of muslims, they pushed the idea of non-muslism converting on every corner. And also, why does it matter if there is no reason to convert? What matters is that they were not ALLOWED to convert. Even the Romans allowed people to worship gods outside their religion, infact, as it grew, synagogues and other foreign religious structures were raised within Rome, where they werent before. How many churches were raised in the years of the ottoman empire? Yet why do we today find Mosques all the way in Hungary? How many muslims exist there.

I wish the Ottomans werent that tolerant. Sometimes overtolerance creates indulged generations and tragedic betrayels. I wonder what would the Albanian tribes contribute to our world if they werent discovered by the Ottoman tolerance...

Great mentality. Take the land of others, let your children live there without permission and then say "your ungratefull"

They didnt. Non-Muslims were more benefical for the taxes. Also, converting them wouldnt rovide anything to the empire. Orthodox were happy with Ottoman rule until the collapsing periods. Then, with the Tanzimat and Islahat (with more tolerat laws), they rebelled. You see? Ottomans did a big mistake, it was called overtolerance.

Nobody, except the Kuprili's or Sokolovics were happy with the Ottoman Empire. Who is ever going to be content with foreign rule? As I stated, people of the Balkans were, in majority, happier with venetian or Italian intervention then muslim Ottoman.

Soldierized non-Muslims? NonMuslims except Janissaries (noe: Janissaries were choosen from every 40 families, and Rums, Armenians, Assyrians, Russians, Georgians werent taken into the ocak.) werent soldierized. In fact Muslims were fighting behalf of them. When Muslims were fighting in battlesides, the nonMuslims, who werent obligated with military misson were busy with trading and getting richer. That's why Rums and Armenians were holding most of the Ottoman economy and trading in their hands until it collapsed.

I was speakin on behalf of the Janissaries, they were picked from slave christian children and Islamized....

lol. Europeans conquered whole two continents, Southern and Northern America. Tell me the name of a single country in these lands whose mother language is still Native American and who are still original American pagans? Why is Latin America called Latin but Balkans arent called "Turkic Europe"? Why dont you speak Turkish today but a Peru citizen speaks Spanish?

What is there to remember? Whats better? A culture that is backwards and does sacrificing, or the culture of Renaissance Europe? Ill admit, many people were no doubt assimilated by force, but to think it was an entirely violent transfer if way off. Its a case where the cultures were very uneven and thus the dominant one took power. The Ottomans were not in such of a position, I dont see what knowledge or culture the Ottomans had that was all that impressive to begin with, especially considering the land they were conquering....

Would Albanians be Christians if the Romans didnt conquer their lands?

Tough question. But since we look at the fact that Christianity in Illyria spread against the wishes of Rome, I would say yea...

lol. Believe me, Bosnians and Albanians were desperately preferring Ottomans to Serbs.

The Dusan Empire was not all that different from the ottomans.....

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 02:20

As I stated, people of the Balkans were, in majority, happier with venetian or Italian intervention then muslim Ottoman.

why dont you ask this to greek cypriots, They were ruled by venetians, and I am sure they have more knowledge about venetians rule.

Just for your info, when ottomans conquested cyprus, greeks were just slaves, their connection with their homeland was none. They are under pressure. I dont know which country prefer to venetians to ottomans. But I know atleast one country who know both rule, and be sure after all bad blood between greeks and turks, they accept venetians were worse than ottomans.

Because some albanian loves italians, this does not make them better than ottomans. Infact they treat their christian subject, than ottomans treated their christian subject. So you think they were better than ottomans?

So why greeks of istanbul said, we prefer ottomans to latins?

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 22:49
uh.. look at bosnia you ignorant boy.  the ottomans and the gov't of the pashdom built churches and cathedrals especially in sarajevo oh and synagogous too

you are just hostile towards turks and islam to an extent that it clouds your judgement when you write these posts

now you're going to tell me that bosnian muslims are convert serbs and croats instead of bosnians who converted to islam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 00:29
now you're going to tell me that bosnian muslims are convert serbs and croats instead of bosnians who converted to islam

I dont get it. The only two slav people who are recorded in the Balkans were Serbs and Croats. When did the Bosniaks arrive??? I dont know, and really, I dont care to know.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 00:43
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

I dont get it. The only two slav people who are recorded in the Balkans were Serbs and Croats. When did the Bosniaks arrive??? I dont know, and really, I dont care to know.

serbs and croats were two minorty tribes i.e. clans, etc,

the names stuck

the migration of vast amounts of slavic tribes is what happened
the avar conferderation until its downfall controlled these tribes
after that duchies and kingdoms began to form made by slavs
i.e.
the first recorded mention of bosnia is as the duchy of bosnia in an 8th ct manuscrip

just like croatia and serbia appeared aroudn thius time
as did ragusa and hercegovina

so there were slavs in bosnia serbia and croatia
they were bosnain serbian and croatian respectivelly

now the 19th ct nationalism movement thends to distort history espeically because the serbian govt did a great job and misinformation and chaning history to fit its nationalisitc goals in the 19th and 20th  ct pre wwii era

therefore once bosnia was taken from the ottoman empire it did not develop similar nationailistic patterns and groups of catholic croats and otrhodox serbs influcned large sectors of the bosnian christian community to identify themselves as croats and serbs respectively, this is when this term bosnian serb and croat was coined. and interestlgly most of these new "croats" and "serbs" were bosnian christian peasants

the bosnian muslims, bosnian jews, and a farily large number of christians still called themselves bosnian then and to this day

therefore i have friends from bosnia that are catholic or orthodox that identify themselves as bosnian and their parents and etc etc

because religion is not synonomous with nationailty

and im surprised you being albanian wouldnt know that, albania is multi religious and its one people and it has been before, not like the albanian muslims just began calling themselves turks or bosnians or arabs just because they were muslim or the christians serbs croats or bulgarian etc just because they were christian
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 15:19

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

All empires are multi-ethnic. And the Ottoman Empire was not the Islamic form of the Eastern Roman empire simply because the ethnic of those in power was turkish 

Sheriah law wasnt obligated for non-Muslims and non-Sunites. Of course they didnt let Muslims to be converted into christianity, do you think a Muslim had any reason to be converted?

Who knows what lurks in the minds of people. Recently, I've been considering converting into the Bahai religion. It's a matter of individual taste.

Europeans conquered whole two continents, Southern and Northern America. Tell me the name of a single country in these lands whose mother language is still Native American and who are still original American pagans?

Many Native Americans follow their traditional beliefs. Many conserve their languages (especially in Guatamala). The settlement of the American continent was just more through than the turkish settlement of the Balkans.

Why is Latin America called Latin but Balkans arent called "Turkic Europe"? Why dont you speak Turkish today but a Peru citizen speaks Spanish?
  Why is Anatolia overwhelmingly Turkish? 

Tell me how much people knows Arabic in Spain after the arab conquest, and tell me how much Algerians know French after the French invasions?
The Arab language was an erudite language. At home, the Andalusians spoke a latin derived language. The natives did outnumber the newcomers. And the Algerians speak French as a second language (not to mention that some are concerned over Berber)

Yes, Ottomans were conquerers in Balkans, but what kind of difference did they have from Romans?

To be frank, there's not much difference between conquering nations. What matters here, I think, is modern rhetoric.

1. Seljuks were much more civilised than Frank shepherd soldiers believing they'd get rid of their sins by taking as much Muslim heads as they could. When those wild Central Asians were studying maths and astronomy, the "civilised" westerners were massacring the whole population of Jarusalem 
How much more civilized are nomadic peoples than feudal, agronomal ones? Did you know that the Franks were also studying math and astronomy? They weren't just killing each other.

And I was just giving a reason why the faraway English, French, etc. participated in the crusades. I mentioned the Central Asians so I could use them as a comparative example. And these aren't actual Central Asians, but fictitious ones

And what's this about shephards?

What they had in common with Arabs and Middle Easterns? They were all Muslims. What other? What relation did a Christian Portugese shephard had with a Middle Eastern Muslim before they invaded and slaughtered Middle East? Let me guess.

The Portuguese never slaughtered the Middle East. They rampaged and pillaged the Indian Ocean. A completely different region. And they weren't shephards. They were sailors, farmers, priests, and lowly noblemen. But few shephards.

Edited by Degredado
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 16:24

Degredado:

Nomadic empires sometimes were more tolerant for conquered nations and emmigrants than the West.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 16:52
and im surprised you being albanian wouldnt know that, albania is multi religious and its one people and it has been before, not like the albanian muslims just began calling themselves turks or bosnians or arabs just because they were muslim or the christians serbs croats or bulgarian etc just because they were christian

Multi-religious, before the Ottomans, is not all that right. If you consider Catholic(likely 70% or so) and Orthodox(like 30% of Albs then). Thats not all that ,,multireligious. One of the beautiful things the Ottomans in the push to islaminize us was to cut off communication with the Pope and the west. Since we had no established Catholic church, we rellied on direct administration from Rome. When the Ottomans took over this ended and thus Catholic administration ended. Albs in the early time pushed for intervention from Rome but were shut up by the Ottomans. Without a bible in our langauge, it faded. So you see, nothing was done naturally, we didnt "welcome" Islam....
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 17:07

isnt most of albanian are muslim. Fact book say 70 of albania is muslim, Kosova albanians and albanian who live in macedonia are Muslims too. So I dont know how can you say better welcome.

There are Turkish christians too. So we didnt "welcome" islam

Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 18:33
Dear Sirs, could anybody tell me, on which documents are our knowledge about Crusaders based? Can we trust them? What actually people could do without gunpowder, navigation tools, maps and ships able to drive against wind?
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 01:53

The loss of the crusader states was a terrible blow for civilisation on a long run. Although the crusaders were brutal, they were far more progressive than the arabs who tend to limit themselves to the Qu'ran. The middle-east was doomed to fail the time the crusaders loss their stronghold.

I have so much respect for the crusaders for making war in such a distant lands, bringing our values there. their bravery and faith were without equal. The normans claimed that not even the wall of Jerasulem could stop their cavalry charge, lol (bullsh!t of course), ye olde brave normans, I'm so proud of them nevertherless.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 02:39

have so much respect for the crusaders for making war in such a distant lands, bringing our values there. their bravery and faith were without equal. 

is this a joke? before this, you said what crusader did has no relation with princible of christ. (And you are accusing islam)now talking to bringing your values? what type of values are this? you bringed it, but it looks like noone in middle east get it.Maybe greeks in Istanbul feeled crusader values better.

Mr chriac? Or is this a tradition in france?

Although the crusaders were brutal, they were far more progressive than the arabs

I am not aware second one. First one well known.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 10:39
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

The loss of the crusader states was a terrible blow for civilisation on a long run. Although the crusaders were brutal, they were far more progressive than the arabs who tend to limit themselves to the Qu'ran. The middle-east was doomed to fail the time the crusaders loss their stronghold.

Please shoot me

How far are we going with this nonsense? First, you hardly admit they were brutal, and now you go again with the civilization thing.

dude! What math you have learned in school? Algebra? I don't remember Algebra was a french scholar .  Do you prefer using 0 and 1,2 numbers or IV IIVV IIIIIVCVVIVIVIVIV .  Did you look into any astronomy book? tons of stars are recorded by their Arabic names. Chemistry was not a formal science without Muslim inventions (Alkemia).  People from all Europe would go to Andalucia to learn in Cordoba, in fact named by western writers "the ornament of the world". Go to the vatican, one famous drawing of Mary the mother of Jesus (peace be upon both of them) was drawn by an Italian Artist. She was wearing a silk produced from Baghdad. In that silk there is "No god but Allah and Mohammed his messenger", but the painter didn't know the words. He just drew the finnest silk .  Persian silk was one of the finnest in the world. ....on & on....& on

This all while crusaders were debating how to divide kingdoms, divide peasants, lands, if Jesus was a god with spirt & human nature or just a spirity with no human nature .  Just go read history pleaaaaaaase!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 10:55
Ah yes those fruitful enlightenements the crusaders imparted on the middle east....like religious terrorism and rampant fanaticism.  Clearly the middle east liked those values so much they still have them!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 11:11

Originally posted by Tobodai

Ah yes those fruitful enlightenements the crusaders imparted on the middle east....like religious terrorism and rampant fanaticism.  Clearly the middle east liked those values so much they still have them!

Explain this? cause as far as I recall, what time period we are talking about? So crusaders were a nice people happily going to the middle east and then they imported the religious terrorism and rampants and fantacism! I must have misunderstood you, cuz this analysis is so baseless.

Let me just give you that point for the sake of argument. Let us say we were the leaders of fanaticism before the cute crusaders came, FINE!, but don't tell me crusaders brought  civilization. They brought the opposite, destruction! and when anyone start talking here emotionally, that what happens, you lose your senses and brain and you start talking Trash. Oh yeah, I didn't know why they called it the dark ages of Europe, I guess they were leading all time. Maybe little busy killing their christian fellows. Any other acheivement you can tell me about that Europe produced from 700 AD to 1300 AD? 

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 11:23

Yes..... And Russia was the third Roman Empire . The Ottoman Empire law was based on Islamic Sharia laws, the essence of the Ottoman Empire culture was Arabic and Persian muslim. All Ottomans did to be considered "Roman" was the fact that they conquered Constantinople. Ottomans were more closely related to an Abbassid Empire then a Roman one.

lol So you'll be shocked when you learn evfen the land sharing "timar" system was the same with Byzanthinhe style. And Timarli sipahis were just the Turkish version of Byzanthine princes. Ottoman Empire was an Islamic copy of Byzanthine system. They were the true inheritors, I know it is said from the Christian view, but you should face.

Even the Romans allowed people to worship gods outside their religion, infact, as it grew, synagogues and other foreign religious structures were raised within Rome, where they werent before. How many churches were raised in the years of the ottoman empire?

Are you kidding? Ottomans were converting the biggest church of a new conquered town, and leaving the others, and even building new ones to strenghen their authority and trust. Istanbul was full of Synagoges and churches, and still there exist an excessive number of them. How much Jewish dominant cities have you ever heard of in history before the illegal state was found? One. And that was Thesellanoiki (once Selnik), Jews being settled by Ottomans there.

Even cilicia and my city, still have lots of Ottoman churches left from their reign. They provided 1 church every 20 Christians.

Yet why do we today find Mosques all the way in Hungary? How many muslims exist there.

How much mosques exist in Buda? Ottomans didnt built lots of mosques in Europe, but lots of fountains and bridges.

And yes, there were lost of Muslims in Balkans (mostly Turks settled with the "iskan" policy), later they were massacred or returned to Turkey.

Great mentality. Take the land of others, let your children live there without permission and then say "your ungratefull"

Well, that's the mentality of all the ages before 2. World War, and it still exists. We call it imperialism, Ottomans were no different from Romans or Abbasids by this way. But I see your only problem is with Ottomans conquering your lands. What did you expect more? Call for UN?

Nobody, except the Kuprili's or Sokolovics were happy with the Ottoman Empire. Who is ever going to be content with foreign rule? As I stated, people of the Balkans were, in majority, happier with venetian or Italian intervention then muslim Ottoman.

The number of Albanian sadrazams and veziers was 7 times greater than the Turks. And I bet they were prouder than the padishah for serving the empire.

And as I said before, people of Balkans were in general, unhappy with being tortured. Ottoman policies were creating a heaven from them, a shelter to get rid of Serbian attacks, Catholic oppressure and themselves. Even Greeks of Morea were pleased with the Ottomans conquering them in the beginning, they wanted help from Sultan Mehmed Khan (as they called him "Sultan Basileos") against the two Greek despots.

Believe me, the patriarch was more confortable with the caliphs than it was with the popes (until the collapsing period)...

What is there to remember? Whats better? A culture that is backwards and does sacrificing, or the culture of Renaissance Europe? Ill admit, many people were no doubt assimilated by force, but to think it was an entirely violent transfer if way off. Its a case where the cultures were very uneven and thus the dominant one took power

A culture, who had thousands of libraries full of information that thanks to the inquistadors, we couldnt reach until today. I cant understand how can people stand for the "rape" of European colonists to the unique civilization of Native Americans. The only thing, that the Europeans had superior from them, was gunpowder, and the Europeans learned gunpowder from Turks, who learned it from the Chinese.

The Ottomans were not in such of a position, I dont see what knowledge or culture the Ottomans had that was all that impressive to begin with, especially considering the land they were conquering....

dont belittle Ottoman civilization, the halls of Versailles were used for excrements while the Ottomans were inventing vacccine formulas.

And Ottomans were in such position, you could have been speaking better Turkish than me today, and playing your saz.

The Dusan Empire was not all that different from the ottomans.....

It was. No need to even discuss why.

All empires are multi-ethnic. And the Ottoman Empire was not the Islamic form of the Eastern Roman empire simply because the ethnic of those in power was turkish 

Yes, but what was the ethnics of the ones who were in power in the Eastern Roman Empire? Were they pure blooded Romans?

Who knows what lurks in the minds of people. Recently, I've been considering converting into the Bahai religion. It's a matter of individual taste.

So the Aztecs were converted into christianity by individual taste?

Why is Anatolia overwhelmingly Turkish? 

Because we are Turks. We didnt colonize or conquer Anatolia the same way as we did to Balkans. We simply immigrated and mixed here.

How much more civilized are nomadic peoples than feudal, agronomal ones? Did you know that the Franks were also studying math and astronomy? They weren't just killing each other.

Seljuks werent a nomadic empire. In fact they were the most civilized empire of their time after Chinese. East was dominantly superior to west in terms of science, humanity, civilization, culture etc. until Reinessaince.

Franks were studying maths, with the books of Farabi, they were studying medicine with the books of bn-i Sina until the modern dates.

So you see, nothing was done naturally, we didnt "welcome" Islam....

And I dont think pagans actually welcomed the Christian missioners. Anyway, lots of Balkanians welcomed Islam, it isnt just an issue of belief, religions were equal to politics that age...

have so much respect for the crusaders for making war in such a distant lands, bringing our values there. their bravery and faith were without equal. 

What kind of faith orders killing all the inhabitants of a holy city? I know Christianity doesnt. What values? How to obey what your feudal lords' orders?

Although the crusaders were brutal, they were far more progressive than the arabs

Dont belittle the Arab progress. Even if the Ummayads were nearly as cruel as the crusaders, at least they had some source of great civilization that westerners learned science and philosophy from.

Edited by Oguzoglu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>