Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crimes of Crusaders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimes of Crusaders
    Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 07:14
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Orval

hi

can someone help me? i'm looking for some text about the crimes the crusaders of Godrfied of Bouillon did on ther way to the holyland.
thnx
grts from Belgium

This is one of the great problems in reconstructing history, how to judge morally actions which occurred in a time and place far removed from our own. As I asserted in the thread on Basil II Bulgarslayer, what we may today consider a crime was back in the medieval period considered typical and common practice. Can you clearly define for us what you mean by a "crime"?

As CXI rightly said it is impossible to measure the deeds of the Crusaders by current ethical standards.
But as the defenders of the Crusades then and now understood them as a Holy War fought on behalf of Christianity against the heathen Muslims, maybe it's possible to judge them by the contemporary ethics of the religion they allegedly set out to defend.
And then there are two possibilities, either the ethics of the Medieval Christianity allowed them mass-slaughter of innocent civilians, as done during the conquest of Jerusalem and Constantinople, or the massacre of Muslim hostages in Acre ( to namely only the possibly best known atrocities), or the Crusaders contravened the ethical code of Medieval Christianity and thus acted against their own moral standars.
And then their deeds could be called a crime, not only by modern and enlightened standards, by also by the laws of the Christian Medieval society.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2006 at 07:37
Well,

for one thing you're tottaly right when you say that things back then were common that they are crimes now.
When I look in historybooks and on the net there is nothing to find about the Rapes, unauthorised killing and steeling for farmes on there way to Jerusalem.
I went to Bouillon (a place in Belgium) to find more info. what they told me was that the indeed comitted crimes and that Godfried didn't approve. So Maybe i'm looking for something that no know really knows.

thanks for helping out here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910