Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First All Empires Diplomacy game AEDip01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First All Empires Diplomacy game AEDip01
    Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 01:28
It is my pleasure to announce that AEDip01, the first All Empires Diplomacy game, starts now.

Deadline for Spring 1901: Monday September-5-2005 at 23:59 GMT.

Future regular turn deadlines will be a little shorter (of about 5 days) with max. 48hrs for retreats and Winter turns. I will try to send reminders 24 hrs. before all regular deadlines but you shouldn't take that for granted. For more details see rules and special rules below.

The Players:
  • Austria-Hungary: (Temujin - abdicated June 1901; Bishop between September 1901 and September 1903); Temujin restored since October 1903.
  • England: (Emperor Barbarossa - lost control in October 1903); Raider since January 1904.
  • France: (Poirot abdicated in August 1903); Bishop since September 1903.
  • Germany: Thegeneral
  • Italy: Mixcoatl
  • Russia: Hugoestr
  • Turkey: (Zagros - abdicated August 1902); TheDiplomat since September 1902.
Game Master: Maju

Observers:
  • Pikeshot1600
  • Poirot
  • Emperor Barbarossa
  • you? (PM me)
The map (Spring 1901):

The oficial rules will be the 3rd Edition of Avalon Hill Co. rules, 1992 (PDF document). But some special rules will apply as follows:
  1. In order to shorten the game, victory will be declared when any power controls 12 supply centers at the end of any year AND it has at least two more SCs than any other power. Only one major winner will still be possible. But any power controlling 9 or more SCs at that moment will get a partial victory honorific mention. If the leading power has 12 SCs but another power has 11 or there is a tie at 12 SCs, successive extra years will be played until one single power gets 2 center more than any other. If this would not be achieved, the normal rule of 18 centers' owneship will apply.
  2. In order to prevent NBRs ("no builds recieved"), what can handicap seriously the neglected power, a special default-build rule will apply when no adjustments orders are recieved, as follows:
    • England will always build fleets by default
    • Turkey and Italy will build alternatively fleet-army, starting by a fleet
    • France will build alternatively army-fleet, starting by an army
    • Austria, Germany and Russia will always build armies by default
    • The units will be built in the historical capital prioritarily (if available) and then in any open home center (flipping a coin if necessary). Historical capitals are: Vienna (A), London (E), Paris (F), Berlin (G), Rome (I), Moscow (R) and Constantinople (T).
  3. Excessive build orders will cause all builds to fail and apply the previous rule. Less builds than avialable will be accepted as such (it's understood that the player wants to waive some of his builds). A player can voluntarily waive all his builds but must specify it.
  4. When no disbands are recieved, the oficial rule will apply to determine them but in one aspect: instead of following alphabetic order of provinces, as the rulebook says, I will apply random selection by flipping coins or throwing a dice.
  5. The convoy priority rule will only apply if the convoying fleet(s) is/are not dislodged. If the convoy fails but the army can still move because of adjacency of the provinces involved, then normal movement will happen. (This is such a very rare happening that I have never seen it out of the theory, so don't worry much about it).
  6. The default retreat is "out of the board" (OTB) or "disband". Players can order that as well if it fits their designs.
  7. Any unit not ordered will hold (preventing this way its automatical disbanding in case it is dislodged).
House rules:
  1. In case of doubt the GM will have the last word, always applying the rulebook and any special rules (as for above).
  2. If a player fails to send orders (NMR/NBR), he will be notified by the GM and must reply declaring if he wishes to follow with the game. Two succesive NMRs in regular or adjustments turns (retreats won't apply) will cause the player to be deposed and replaced - no excuses. If the NMRing player doesn't reply to the GM's mail, he will be deposed and replaced without any second opportunity.
  3. Regular turns (Spring and Fall) will be scheduled with terms of about 5 days, except Spring 1901 that will be a little longer. Weekends can stretch these terms a little.
  4. Retreats' and adjustments' turns will have a maximum term of 48 hrs. Only for these, the GM will adjudicate earlier if all orders are in. If they fall fully in weekend, the term can be stretched a little bit too. This is up to the players' needs largely.
  5. Deadline extensions will be conceded upon request but I ask the players not to abuse of them. Conditional adjustments/retreats can be sent as alternative for short sub-turns extensions and I encourage them.
  6. I also encourage to send preliminary orders as soon as you recieve the adjudication. You can send as many different sets of orders as you need. The last one arriving will erase the previous. Please send always full sets of orders: it doesn't matter what you sent in previous ones.
  7. Orders will be interpretated benevolently but any order that is confuse enough will be declared invalid. Still I will notify the players if there is time for that, so this should not be a problem for novices.
  8. Press: I will accept white press (signed) and grey press (anonymous). I won't accept black press (on other's name). The press should be written with the orders' set and will be published with the adjudication. The GM will try to write some press too and "the gallery" (observers) can also write press (white only). Alternatively you can post in the All Empires - General Gaming topic open for this game's purpose (this one).
  9. I may add new rules in the future if necessary, always after consulting the players.
Have fun!

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 01:36
Additional GM notes:

Don't forget to check the Diplomacy Archive to learn more about Diplomacy.

Extra Rule: the adjudications can be appealed and the GM will consider those appeals throughtfully.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 12:22
A map with names, always useful:

Some provinces are abreviated but I don't think it's any problem.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 16:55
Can I be an adviser to a newbie? Kinda like his Vice President? 
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 18:53

You can help me if Maju doesn't have a problem with it.

You can be my reichsfueher.

Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 20:31
Hey that would be great. Where is Maju to rule on this?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 01:22
Yes, no problem with advisors. It should help to improve the game. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 01:28
Awesome! Be sure to change my title at the top of the thread. I'm the new German  Reichfurher. =80)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 02:29
Originally posted by Bishop

Awesome! Be sure to change my title at the top of the thread. I'm the new German  Reichfurher. =80)

Ahem, Reichfrer isn't any actual German ministry of the time. I think it was introduced by Hitler and would be a total anachronism. You can be Chancellor, like Bismark. Ok?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 07:39
Clarification on how the orders support and convoy work:

Here is the adjudication map a hipothetical Fall 1902 turn (dotted lines mean failed orders):

Here we can see some examples of correct and incorrect, succesful and unsuccesful supports:

F Sev S A Ukr-Mos is obviously an invalid support order because, though Sev and Mos are adjacent, the Fleet cannot move to Moscow and, therefore, can't support any movement there.

All the other supports shown are valid but some fail because they are cut. For example:

F Den S F Hel-Nth fails because it's cut by the English F Nth-Den. Still F Hel-Nth succeeds because it finds the North Sea empty.

Instead F Eng S A Pic-Bel succeeds but A Pic-Bel fails because A Bel is supported by A Hol (uncut): 2 vs 2.

Turkish A Mos S F Bla-Sev fails as well, in spite of being a valid order, because it is cut by A Ukr-Mos.

The convoy:

Convoying follows almost the same rules as supporting. Yet there are two differences:

(1) Succesive adjacent fleets can be teamed up to make chain convoys as in the example does Italy. The orders of Italy are: A Tun-Bul, F Ion C A Tun-Bul, F Aeg C A Tun-Bul. It is a perfectly valid set of orders. Furthermore the A-I cooperation extends to Austria supporting the amphibious attack from Greece (F Gre S A Tun-Bul).

Yet the convoy fails because the Italian fleet in Aegean Sea is dislodged. And here it is the other difference between the rules that apply to convoy and support orders: while almost any attack cuts the support, this doesn't happen with convoys: (2) Only dislodging one of the convoying fleets can a convoy be cut.

If Turkey would have ordered instead F Smy-Aeg, F Con S A Bul, the convoying fleet would not have been dislodged and A Tun-Bul would only have failed for lack of superiority (2 vs 2).

But, Turkey would have risked that A Ser S A Tun-Bul would have given superiority to the Italian disembark and all the not very well measured Turk precautions would have ended in a Bulgarian disaster (the army is dislodged and with no retreats available, it is disbanded).

This would be the regional operations' map in that case:

Bulgaria becomes Italian and the A-I has all the initiative (wouldn't it be for the nasty French fleet invading the Adriatic ).

Doubts?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 09:11

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Bishop

Ahem, Reichfrer isn't any actual German ministry of the time. I think it was introduced by Hitler and would be a total anachronism. You can be Chancellor, like Bismark. Ok?

True, but wouldnt I be the Chancellor depending on which type of government?  But I do not know what the other ministries or departments are.  He can be the Head of the armies? 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 09:52
Do as you wish. I've seen all kind of role-playing. Most commonly the German player is the Kaiser, as the Russian is the Tsar or the Turk is the Sultan. If you are the Chancellor, then name him Minister of Intelligence and hide his rank as Minister of Culture or something. 

I just thought that using reichsfrer (apart of being a blatant anachronism) could difficult your diplomatic relationships. The II Reich is not as negatively seen as the Third. Bismarck is often seen with favorable eyes, for instance.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 11:47
Oh I understand the problems with reichsfueher.  It was just a name.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 21:18
Reminder: 3 days for Spring 1901 deadline.
Get your orders in, please.

I must remind also that it is convenient to send orders as soon as possible, better send a preliminary set as soon as you can and change it as much as necesary. No problem if you send a diferent set each day.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 04:15
***This adjudication has suffered a correction***

Finally, here there are the revealing results of Spring 1901. All orders are in but Temujin (Austria) has abandoned the game. Bishop takes over.

La Gazette de Genve:
  • Italy invades Tyrolia and Salzburg. The Italia Irredenta will be redeemed, crowds full of patriotic enthusiasm sing in Milano and Rome
  • The French army maneouvres near the German border and the English coasts
  • Germany signs a naval bases' treaty with Denmark
  • England rushes to do the same with Norway
  • Russia hopes to be able to force Sweden to an alliance too, while maneouvres its Army near ther Romanian border
  • Austria intervenes in Serbia and Albania before they can ally with the hostile Italians. Emperor Franz Joseph abdicates due to a badly known private affair and the Arch-Bishop of Vienna takes over the regency promising morality and union of the Dual Monarchy.
  • Turkey occupies Bulgaria and voes to restore the glory of the Caliphate
Other press: none

All orders succeed, no retreats needed.

Deadline for Fall orders: Monday 12 of September, 23:59.
(Sorry, but 5 days would be on Saturday and that's not a good date for the deadline, I'll try to speed up after the Winter  adjustments - Wed 14, 23:59).

Orders as written:

Austria:
A Bud - Rum
F Tri - Alb
A Vie - Tri

England:

move London fleet to the North Sea
move the Edinburg fleet to NWG
/A Liv-Wales

France:

1. Army in Paris moves to Burgundy
2. Army in Marsilles holds and supports Army that moves from Paris to Burgundy
3. Fleet in Brest moves to English Channel.

Germany:
F Kiel- Holl
A Ber- Kiel
A Mun- Ruhr

Italy:

move F Naples to Tyrrhenian Sea
move A Venice to Tyrolia
move A Rome to Venice

Russia:
F ST. Petersburg-Golf of Bothnia
A MOS-URK
A WAR HOLD
F SEV HOLD

Turkey:

F Ankara, hold
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna - Constantinople

Orders as adjudicated:

Austria:
A Budapest - Romania (corrected!)
F Trieste - Albania
A Vienna - Trieste

England:
F Edinburgh - Norwegian Sea
A Liverpool - Wales
F London - North Sea

France:
F Brest - English Channel
A Marseilles Supports A Paris - Burgundy
A Paris - Burgundy

Germany:
A Berlin - Kiel
F Kiel - Denmark
A Munich - Ruhr

Italy:
F Naples - Tyrrhenian Sea
A Rome - Venice
A Venice - Tyrolia

Russia:
A Moscow - Ukraine
F Sevastopol Hold
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia
A Warsaw Hold

Turkey:
F Ankara Hold
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna - Constantinople

Please correct me if there is any error.

Operations map (Spring 1901):

Current map (Fall 1901):

Don't wait to the last minute: send your prelims now!

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 05:54
do we send build orders now?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 09:22
Originally posted by Zagros

do we send build orders now?

NO!

Builds are only in the Winter, once you have consoliated your conquests (or loses) in the Fall. The structure of the game is as follows:
  • Spring diplomacy
  • Spring movement
  • Spring retreats (when necessary)
  • Fall diplomacy
  • Fall movement
  • Fall retreats (when necessary) -> Neutral or foreign centers occupied after this phase are only now owned by the occupiers
  • Winter adjustments (builds and disbands)
So if you (Turkey) can take Greece or Romania (and keep occupying Bulgaria), you would get two builds when Winter comes. If you fail to occupy any other centers but keep Bulgaria you are entitled to 1 build. If you manage to take Greece or Romania but are bounced by Austria in Bulgaria (not very likely, I think), you would get also only one Build, because you would not be occupying Bulgaria at the start of the Winter turn (doesn't matter what happened in the Spring).

So now what you ahve to send is your Fall movements, seeking to consolidate what you captured in the Spring and maybe to take new centers too.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 09:27
Aha thanks for the clarification.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 13:04
Luis, can we shorten the order times a little? like to five days instead of a week?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 14:48
Yes I can, in fact it's what I'm trying to do. But then, this deadline would fall on Saturday, and I suspect people is less ready to react, sending last minute orders, retreats, builds and/or appeals if I adjudicate in weekend. Of course, if all the 7 players agree that weekends are fine for deadlines, I have no problem.

So I follow the thumb rule of 5 days for regular turns (Spring/Fall) and max. 2 days for retreats and adjsutments but, if it falls in Saturday or Sunday, I move it to next Monday.

What does the rest think?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>