Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First All Empires Diplomacy game AEDip01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First All Empires Diplomacy game AEDip01
    Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 10:33
I think you played well and probably your diplomatic engineering was rather good, though I can only guess about it. Getting France to intervene against Italy and persuading Russia to disband its Black Sea fleet seem major achievements.

Yet I wonder if other possibilities were at reach like alliance with Russia or something. This usually is more of the interest of Russia but Turkey can also benefit from it, specially if the Russian fleet is disbanded or there is an agreed bounce in the Black Sea. Actually not engineering any of these measures was surely the biggest error of Turkey. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 08:33

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Maju, could you give us some kind of analysis of the previous game?

I'll do a basic analysis from that position:

Could I ask you for making an analysis on Turkey since 1902?

How did you find my play?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 05:45
Not really. But it depends... pragmatism should be the main concern. If I can't kill him, I can bargain... I guess. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:14
Yes he did, he implied what I said to the point it was obvious what was said. In fact the way he implied it it sounded worse than what I actually said. He kept going on about how I have no repect for my allies intelligents, how I look down on my allies. Hell posting what I said wouldnt of been half as bad as what he actually did.

He then sent my allies PM's that said god only knows what.  Before this was even an issue he had already sent something to the General, and the General knew what was said.  Or a Hugo version of what was said.

It was very clear that any and everything said in private was going to be used against me. I feel like he should of read me my meranda rights. "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, or in the press, or just held over you're head to hail accusations at you."

Now would you be willing to talk with someone with this aditude towards private conversations?

Edited by Bishop
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 11:54
Well, Hugo threatened to publish your mails but he didn't do it, did he? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:56

France started attacking Italy, a very risky and totally unnecessary move, while at the same time invading Germany in the most strange operation of the game. It worked though but it was all very risky.

I was backstabed by my partner (Germany) who promissed me we would divide up England in the north. Not only did the General not help with the invasion of England he attacked me in Belgium.

Still even with this betrail I was gaining ground on both fronts until I missed a turn and it cost me three builds.

Attacking Italy when the western triangle wasn't even half-solved was a very odd French strategy. Keeping several fronts open was probably unnecessary but what do I know? Bishop managed to keep pressure on both sides, with some gains but without a decissive victory.

The reason was my eastern ally Turkey needed help. And I promissed him I would give it. And he promissed me the General would not attack me.

Fortunatly for me the General only went half way with his backstab. He only wanted to slow me down while he caught up. Which I can understand his logic, I felt it was very risky, with Russia still around with armies and England with 4 and Italy had around 7. Why Germany would want another potenial enemy in the west was very unwise in my opinion.

Especially after I stuck my neck out to help Germany out, even though I had other options. Honestly if I could of had diplomatic relations with Russia it would of been a lot easier for me. But that wasnt the case, I could not confide in Hugo because he posted everything I said to him in the press.

One thing about the General, he wasnt afraid to attack!

Edited by Bishop
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:39
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Good question. You should be the ones making the analysis. The GM normally is a little unaware of what's going on and can only read the map and the press.

I'll do a basic analysis from that position:

1901: The game started with an outright Italian attack against Austria. This is often considered an error because Italy should try to be a naval power and dominate the Med. Attacking Austria is a way of favoring Russia and Turkey. While Russia is kind of natural ally of Italy... they don't have the same interests and, in the event of Austrian partition it is likely that Russia ends getting all.

The Austrian opening anyhow was awful: invading Rumania is asking for trouble with Russia. Then he could have outguessed Italy and fallen on his feet but didn't.

In the fall I was surprised of Germany bouncing Russia in Sweden, when Russia had played very neutrally so far. It think this was an ideological decission of TheGeneral and could have cost him dearly.

England seemed to be isolated in the west while Poirot was ideologically also focused in Belgium. England should have then declared war on France, building F Liverpool. The invasion of Channel was an offense that shouldn't be condoned.

1902: Austria could have defended Trieste but chose Greece. But most interesting was the invasion of the Black Sea by Russia. Well and bad played: well because Turkey without the Black Sea is lost, bad because Russia should have focused in continental Europe, leaving Turkey for later. He opened too many fronts and soon suffered the early leader syndrome.

In the west France seemed to be playing most consistently and the mistrust between France and Germany seemed to grow, while English moves showed only weakness.

The fall brought Russia to clear leadership... but he was a giant with feet of clay and too many enemies. France started to threaten Italy with an insulting invasion of Piedmont.

1903/04: Russia lost too much time helping Italy. He should have focused in Turkey instead and at least grabbed Bulgaria. That would have limited his loses.

France started attacking Italy, a very risky and totally unnecessary move, while at the same time invading Germany in the most strange operation of the game. It worked though but it was all very risky.

Attacking Italy when the western triangle wasn't even half-solved was a very odd French strategy. Keeping several fronts open was probably unnecessary but what do I know? Bishop managed to keep pressure on both sides, with some gains but without a decissive victory.

Russia had disbanded F Sev, maybe decieved by Turkey but the strangest of all was Russia building an army in Sevastopol in 1904. He needed fleets!

1905/06: F-G alliance was leading but it wasn't a avery solid one. Russia was clearly defending and so was Italy. Turkey was the only growing power and they all seemed allied.

Fall 1906 was decisive though. France had started to show some weaknesses and then he NMRed. Russia gave the game to Germany out of despair.

1907 could have turned things around. German victory wasn't assured at all and his orders were very shy and undecided. But he was lucky again and won due to the late NMRs.

Conclussion: whatever you do, don't forget to send your orders. The most desperate of the situations can be turned around when your neighbour forgets to send his orders in and you don't.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 17:15
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:38
So Bishop and the Diplomat want to play Versailles with my experimental rule. I guess that Rider, the proponent of this variant wants too. Ok. I will write down the rule in the most clear way possible and start a new topic for AEDip04, which I will gladly GM.

Recruitment starts now. All interested players, please PM me with a list of preferences and any comments you want to make. Players that aren't in the previous games' lists must also indicate an email adress.

Also please indicate if you will be absent in Christmas. It may be a good idea not to start the new game before January 7th (end of Christmas vacations in some countries) but if all players are around, then only major holidays must be considered.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:16
Originally posted by Kilikya

I don't know how others feel but this game is a bit slow.  I lose concentration in the middle of the week and can't remember what I wanted to do.

I was hoping the troops would be home by Christmas. 

It's impossible to play faster games via email unless you have strongly comitted players. Full games often can last a year, it depends because each game is unique. Strongly comitted player that are willing to be in front of the computer for this puropse every day can maybe make turns of 48hrs and adjustments of a few hours. But that's not the situation of most people, specially on weekends, holidays, bad days, bussy days, silly days... you know. So providing for 5 days' normal turns seems more than reasonable and most PBEM games are played this way.

Another enjoyable way to play the game is face-to-face (FTF), which is the original way. But it's hard to gather 7 players from your area (a GM is not needed in this case normally) and to get them playing maybe two or three consecutive sunday afternoons (as a full FTF game may take more hours than a day has: rules provide for 15 minutes diplomacy for each regular turn, add up to maybe 50 times that plus the time employed in writing down the orders and adjudicating, lunch time etc. You need maybe 16 hours (intensely played) unless you provide for an early termination or something.

So easy-going PBEM is the most commonly used way to play this wonderful game. I suggest that you use Realpolitik and store your orders and/or plans so you can check them visualy with ease. You may also carry on a war-diary of some sort. In any case some organization is needed not to lose track of your game, that's clear.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 04:14
wrong forum guys, ignore me
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 04:11

I don't know how others feel but this game is a bit slow.  I lose concentration in the middle of the week and can't remember what I wanted to do.

I was hoping the troops would be home by Christmas. 

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 03:05

Maju's post versailles map is great and accurate..7 minor powers for 7 major powers.I say Let's play the variant in accordance with Maju's special provisions.

If we play the post-Versailles,I take the USSR

Edited by TheDiplomat

Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 23:57
Wow, Maju is the Diplomacy king! I really like you're ideas on voting in private to move or control minor states. Kinda like have a UN or a League of Nations type aspect to the game.

You're varients look great Maju, I honestly wouldnt mind playing any of the maps posted they all look very interesting!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 17:31
Or my own (experimental variant on 1900), let's call it 1901:

Like in 1900, Britain (red) starts with 4 fleets (one in Gibraltar Strait). Like in 1900, Russia has the ability to build a 5th army automatically but an SC in Siberia has been provided for that (though it's empty at the start of the game). Like in 1900, naval movement (but not convoy) can happen between MAO and Red Sea (I've simplified the rule a little).

Unlike 1900, Egypt is not British home SC but just a colonial center. Algiers insted is a French home SC and starts with an army. Spain (divided in 3 provinces) and Switzerland are armed neutrals. Their armies just hold passively. I've also modified some provinces and supressed most "bridges" except that of Ireland-Edinburgh (new British format).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 16:28
Btw, as I said in the variants thread, I don't suggest Modern.

If you want to play a good variant of standard, I suggest 1900:

Yet, I would make a change, making Spain two coasted (not three-coasted), in order to allow for easier RP adjudication.

There are no oficial RP files but I made them myself.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 15:48
I was posting something on Rider's idea when the light went off. I've been without electricity almost all day. 

It's important to notice that Versailles minor powers aren't played independently but rather they are alloted to the major powers (either randomly or in a fixed manner, depending on the version).

This issue of minor powers exist in at least another variant: Ambition & Empire. Here the minor powers can't move but are secretly voted (alloting influence or diplomacy points based in owned SCs) to support or hold.

For instance, a 3 center Italy could allot all its 3 DPs to Yugoslavia to support A Venice-Croatia, or it could allot 1 DP to Yugoslavia, 1 DP to Greece and 1 DP to Spain for diferent support (or hold) actions.

I've just played once this and I can tell you it's a mess and an excellent occasion to lie to your "best ally" impunely.

I have an alternative projected rule which consists in voting not for the moves but for wich major power holds the alliance of each minor power. This vote would only happen in Winter turns (and prior to the start of the game) and the fortunate ally can then order the minor power at will.

Some special provisions are needed:
  • Each minor power automatically casts 1/2 vote to its former ally. This way no minor power will easily go back to neutral once allied. If reversal to neutrality happens, then the minor power will:
    • hold if at home SC
    • move to its home SC if at any adjacent province
    • if it is two provinces away from its home center(s), it will move back to them on random basis but always via the shortest way(s) possible
    • if it is more than two provinces away, it will hold
  • If a major power coquers any center of a minor ally he suffers an important penalty: loses all ability to vote in next winter and has only half (rounded down) votes in the second year after the betrayal. This is naturally cause by the loss of "credibility" of the major power towards minors after the treason. This doesn't affect the previous rule of 1/2 automatic continuist vote.
Both rules provide that any option that is more "voted" than any other succeeds. Tie of top options causes the vote to fail. In the first case (A&E style) the army/navy holds. In the second case (my rule) the minor power remains neutral or reverses to that status.

What do you think?

Btw, this is the oficial map of the latest version I know of, adapted for RP:

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 15:26

There are 8 minor players for 7 major players if u look at carefully.

I would sugegst to play MODERN DIPLOMACY

Edited by TheDiplomat

Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 15:05
Thats a really cool looking map! I'd like to play as England, if thats possible.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 14:51
Could the ally minor country be assigned randomly, after each player has been assigned a power? Doing so will make the diplomatic interactions more interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>