Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The real Edward I of England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The real Edward I of England
    Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:40
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Perhaps we need to make the distinction between the "King of England" and an "English King".

Where do we make the distinction??  I think the distinction should not include an "English King" rather either "King of England" or "King of the English".  I think the latter two terms are what needs to be clarified.

Is the King of England to be regarded as QEII is today (England, Ireland Scotland and Wales) or just England itself - separate from the others.

William the Conqueror (if we start the numbering from him) - he did not, as I recall, receive the overlordship of either Wales or Scotland or to put it bluntly, the north of England - Edward the Elder did.

And Edward I spent his lifetime trying to do just that.  So it would appear that Edward the Elder achieved slightly more ...... something which could come closer to being "King of ALL the English" (which included northern England, Wales and Scotland) whereas Edward I was really only King of just England.

Edited by Melisende - 26-May-2007 at 07:41
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 10:17
The distinction is that an English King is a king who rules a kingdom on the British island, whereas an King of England rules the whole of the English territory all at once. The posession of/ control over Wales, Strathclyde and Scotland is not relevant in that respect, as they are outisde of the English territiory, and should be considered as foreign conquests.

The first king to claim the title King of All English was Alfred the Great (871-899), but he did limit his title to All English not under Danish rule (meaning the Danelaw), his son and grandson Edward the Elder (899-924) and Athelstan (924-939) began a campaign to win back the north. Edward conquered all the land south of the Humber (including Mercia which had seperated itself from the West-Saxon royal line after Alfred died) and gained overlordship over Wales, but as he never controlled Northumbria he can not be considered a King of England. Athelstan did conquer Northumbria after the death of the Norse king Sihric and gained overlordship of Schotland at the Battle of Brunanburh, but after his death the Northumbrians rejected his sucessor Edmund (939-946) and chose Olaf Guthfiridsson from Dublin as their king. Olaf was succeeded by Olaf Sithricson and it wan not until 944 that Edmund could throw him out of York. When Edmund died, the Northumbrians chose Erik Bloodaxe as king. Eadred (946-955) kicked him out the next year, but in 950 the Northumbrians got Olaf Sithricson back, and after Erik Bloodaxe again. In 954, the Northumbrians decided to submit to the West-saxon king out of free will.
After Eadred died the next year, his sons Eadwig and Edgar divided the realm between them. Only when Eadwig died in 959 did Edgar rule the whole of England.

So who was King of England and who was not is open to interpretation. Personally I would include Athelstan, but not Edward. The kings between Athelstan and Edgar only were in posession of all of England for short stretches of time, but I suppose they could make some claim to the title. But I think historically Edgar is the first one who can realy be considered as King of England, as he was the first who did not rule an occupied hostile territory, but people who did accept him as king.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 11:10
@ Heikstheo:
The Breatwealdas are a different thing. They were overlords over a number of territories which were all still ruled by their own royal houses under him. It was not an unification of the English in one people, but rather a temporary political unity under one leader, an unity which never lasted beyond the demise of the Breatwealda. (As is common in the Germanic warlord-society) The difference with this later period after Alfred is that there was not just a superficial political unity bound by one man, but a change in identity towards a shared one.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 15:17
That would make the Breatwealdas closer to 'emperors' wouldn't it? Smile
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 21:43
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

..... King of England rules the whole of the English territory all at once. The posession of/ control over Wales, Strathclyde and Scotland is not relevant in that respect, as they are outisde of the English territiory, and should be considered as foreign conquests.

Could the above have been true for Edward I???

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 23:00
By English King, I meant a recognised King who ruled over English people (though not necessarily all of them). The English King, however, is recognised as the King of England as as whole.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 01:15
The title appears very ambiguous in both its definition and appointment.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by gcle2003

Yes, very much so.. Smile Exept that not in a single case did the empire survive the emperor. I do even think it was not expected to: it was such a very personal thing, the title of Breatwealda had to be earned by hard work (war) and personal achievement (conquest) and could, I think, never be passed on to another.

Originally posted by Melisende

The title appears very ambiguous in both its definition and appointment.

Yes, that is the fate of historians: not even defenitions are clear, because they tend to be adapted to the need of the historian. It is what keeps us on our toes... Smile
The thruth is: there is no such thing as thruth, or even objectiveness. Everything is open to multiple interpretations, and 'history as we know it' is just the consensus reached by historians based on the most convincing argumentation.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 27-May-2007 at 06:19

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:34

Yes, very much so.. Smile Exept that not in a single case did the empire survive the emperor. I do even think it was not expected to: it was such a very personal thing, the title of Breatwealda had to be earned by hard work (war) and personal achievement (conquest) and could, I think, never be passed on to another.
So like the Holy Roman Emperor (in theory).

I hesitate to say this but there is actually a four-fold distinction between
a) King of England (rules over the territory of England).
b) English king (might be king of anybody anywhere, but must be English - for instance James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak).
c) King in England (rules over part of England)
d) King of the English (rules over the English people, wherever).

(I don't think there has ever, formally, been a (d) has there? You can and could be English but not subject to the King of England, couldn't you? I'm not sure.)

heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:27

So like the Holy Roman Emperor (in theory).

I hesitate to say this but there is actually a four-fold distinction between
a) King of England (rules over the territory of England).
b) English king (might be king of anybody anywhere, but must be English - for instance James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak).
c) King in England (rules over part of England)
d) King of the English (rules over the English people, wherever).

(I don't think there has ever, formally, been a (d) has there? You can and could be English but not subject to the King of England, couldn't you? I'm not sure.)

I would not go so far as to say that there has never been a (d). The distinction between "King of the English" and "King of England" is rooted in a distinction between the Germanic conception of law and the Roman conception of law. As the Germanic peoples in the period of the "barbarian" invasions were a nomadic people was that the law governs the people, wherever they are, while the Roman conception of law was that the law governs the territory, whatever people happen to be therein. Hence, this led to a situation, as the Roman Empire expanded, where it was possible to be judged by two sets of laws and methods had to be developed to decide which laws you would be judged by. From the example of St. Paul in the Bible, it seems to have been the Roman citizen's choice whether to be judged by Roman law or his own people's law.  

Anyways, back to the original point, "King of the English" was an earlier title used by the Anglo-Saxon kings but once they became more settled they began using "King of England," similar to the way that "King of the Franks" eventually gave way to "King of France." 
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:39
Yes, that would make sense... You would not call yourself king of England before the concept of England was established... Smile Good point about the law, very true.

I think (d) could theoretically be applied to subjects of the English king living in territory not under the kings rule. Technically, as long as you have the English nationality, you are a subject of the ruler of England. But in practice you would have to obey to the laws of the country you are in, and the ruler of the English would not be able to exercise much of his authority over you. But you could still commit crimes abroad punishable in England, such as treason.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:15

Yes, that would make sense... You would not call yourself king of England before the concept of England was established... Smile Good point about the law, very true.
Agreed. But I also don't think you would call yourself King of the English before the English were established as a nation. Kings of the Saxons and Kings of the Angles abound.

I think (d) could theoretically be applied to subjects of the English king living in territory not under the kings rule. Technically, as long as you have the English nationality, you are a subject of the ruler of England.
I don't think that is true. You can reject your allegiance to the Queen (though I think she may have to agree) but that doesn't stop you being English, any more than accepting allegiance to the Queen makes you English.

But in practice you would have to obey to the laws of the country you are in, and the ruler of the English would not be able to exercise much of his authority over you. But you could still commit crimes abroad punishable in England, such as treason.

So much would depend on case law, and there are very few cases. That of William Joyce ('Lord Haw-Haw') is interesting.

Indisputably he gave support to the Nazis in WW2 by broadcasting propaganda for them. In 1945 the British put him on trial for High Treason ('aiding and assisting the enemies of the King'). However
a) he turned out to be American, and pled that on that ground he could not commit treason against some other country.
b) it then turned out that before the war he had pretended to be British in order to get a British passport, and was held to have accepted allegiance to the British crown in so doing.
On appeal however, the House of Lords were split on the issue, even though they found him guilty.

In none of that of course did he ever become English.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:47

Agreed. But I also don't think you would call yourself King of the English before the English were established as a nation. Kings of the Saxons and Kings of the Angles abound.

Yes, but the sense of an English nation was around long before an united English country was an option, I think.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 13:13

Yes, but the sense of an English nation was around long before an united English country was an option, I think.

I'm not sure there was any real concept of an English nation until after the Normans became assimilated. I think I've mentioned before that the Robin Hood tales are an allegory for the assimilation of the Saxons and the Normans, symbolised by Robin's swearing allegiance to Richard.

Myth and propaganda of course, not factual, but myths are powerful when it comes to national feeling.

It was quite late in the day or instance before the Angles and Saxons north and south of the border saw themselves as Scots and English.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 04:57
There was in fact a large 'propaganda movement' in the late 9th century under king Alfred promoting a sense of unified Englishness which seems to have been reasonable sucessful. It seems to have stuck with the elite including the historians of the time, but it was at first only really cathching on in the south. You could say that this is the beginning of Englishness. But even before there is no doubt the Angles and Saxons saw themselves as closely connected, mostly due to a sense of a shared past. This is already very evident in Beda. It is also clear in the way the Angles and Saxons saw themselves as different from the peoples around them, they felt more connection with the Franks and Old Saxons than with the Scots and Welsh.

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 05:41
I came acrosss a reference that distinguished between Britons and English pre-Norman Invasion. 

I read it in: "The Age of Arthur" by John Morris (and its not a book on the "legendary" King Arthur but rather a history of England from 400-800AD).

I will try I find it again.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 05:42
Yes, but 'English' means more than Anglo-Saxon. It certainly includes the Norman element.

One talks about Norman vs Saxon, not Norman vs English. And the English language is recognised as a French/Germanic hybrid, with words and grammatical constructions from both languages.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 08:22
English identity was certainly around before 1066. King Alfred the Great launced something that could be seen as a 'propganda' offensive to promote the sense of 'us English' against 'them invading Scandinavians'. There is a whole school devoted to the study of this 'Making of an English nation'.

Chapman, Anna, King Alfred and the Cult of St. Edmund, History Today  (July, 2003), pp. 37-43.

Richards, Mary P., Anglo-Saxonism in the Old English Laws, in: Anglo-Saxonism and the Construction of Social Identity, Allen J. Frantzen and John D. Niles eds. (Gainesville etc., 1997), pp. 40-59.

Smyth, Alfred P., The Emergence of English Identity, 700-1000, in: Medieval Europeans: studies in ethnic identity and national perspectives in medieval Europe, Alfred P. Smyth ed. (Basingstoke etc. 1998), pp. 24-52.

Thorman, Janet, The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle Poems and the Making of the English Nation, in: Anglo-Saxonism and the Construction of Social Identity, Allen J. Frantzen and John D. Niles eds. (Gainesville etc., 1997), pp. 60-85.

(I did my Bachelor thesis on identity and integration in Viking Age England, you see. Smile)

Edited by Aelfgifu - 01-Jun-2007 at 08:25

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 13:30
Perhaps someone would be willing to conclude this topic and his own thoughts and ideas into an article on Edward I?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234