Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone play Diplomacy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone play Diplomacy?
    Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 12:27
Im playing co-op with Germany. I think it's a good idea, this way we can share the task of writing other nations. It's working out well so far.

Maju please give me a title on the main thread list me as Germany's Ambassador.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 12:19
Follow the current game, just started, in this other topic: AEDip01. You can sign up as observer with options to write press, ask and answer doubts... and replace any eventual drop-out.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Musashi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 11:01
Hmmm...strangly enough I have an old copy of this game in my closet that I've been hauling around for years. Never have had a chance to play it. I'll have to check it out.
In emptiness there is good but no evil.
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 13:42
Did you read the forum post about the AI Maju? It is amazing it seems to be interacting right along with the guy. It was even funny!

I'll be buying that game the second it comes out.

I do agree with you that it will be better with real people. But interacting with an really intelligent AI would be soo much fun.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 02:09
Originally posted by Bishop

Paradox is making a new Diplomacy game that looks really good. http://www.diplomacy-pcgame.com

Read this thread on the AI it's truely amazing. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209452

I've read something. Earlier attempts to make Diplomacy a computer game were apparently hindered by a very bad AI. Hopefully modern AIs will be better and they will make a playable game. Still, I think the true thrill of this game is to deal with human opponents, so it will always be better as PBEM game.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 01:36
Paradox is making a new Diplomacy game that looks really good. http://www.diplomacy-pcgame.com

Read this thread on the AI it's truely amazing. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209452

Edited by Bishop
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 19:59
Originally posted by Maju

Note: you may have too much spam partly due to your lack of reserve on posting your email as such in openly readable places like this. If you just changed the way you write it to tunerguy AT hotmail.com, for instance, you would have less spam problems.

I think you're absolutely correct.  I use this email as my "spam" account. I give it out for unimportant things. My real email that my friends and family have I never give out.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 11:27
Originally posted by Bishop

Wow a Diplomacy game!!
If you need another I'll play!!

tunerguy@hotmail.com

I get tons of spam with this email so PM me if you need another player please.

I know the rules and have played the board game so I can help with newbies.

I'll add you as observer (potential replacement). If we got enough players we could even start a second game but so far there are 7 active players and 2 observers (including yourself). As many are novice, I have organized a little training to start with in AE-Dip-00. We will soon start a true short game under the name of AE-Dip-01 but the topic isn't still open.

I'll keep you posted.

Note: you may have too much spam partly due to your lack of reserve on posting your email as such in openly readable places like this. If you just changed the way you write it to tunerguy AT hotmail.com, for instance, you would have less spam problems.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 11:14
Wow a Diplomacy game!!
If you need another I'll play!!

tunerguy@hotmail.com

I get tons of spam with this email so PM me if you need another player please.

I know the rules and have played the board game so I can help with newbies.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 21:46
Originally posted by Thegeneral

So modest, will you have that attitude when you march into neighboring countries?

You know I wouldn't have the heart to do such a thing. I will play with the same timidity that I display in our intellectual forum.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 15:00
So modest, will you have that attitude when you march into neighboring countries?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 23:31
Tobodai, Mixcoatl or whoever PMs me first will get the 7th place. If I get 2 notes in +/- the same time, I can place both, as Hugoestr has said that he prefers to be an observer (because he fears he will beat the rest too easily - that's something still to prove anyhow).

I wish I could be that confident of my playing skills.

My reluctance to play is more because it give the appearence of unfairness.

I also remember how in my first game the person who won was a person who had played it just one time before. While we newbies were making mistake after mistake--based on our weak understanding of the rules--, he went on to easily win the game

I am just a poor player who loves this game. If my playing will help others to love the game too, so be it.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 20:06
We have the seven players finally! The training game has started: AE-Dip-00.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 17:41
Confirmed so far:
  • Zagros
  • Emperor Barbarossa
  • Thegeneral
  • Poirot
  • Hugoestr
  • Pikeshot1600
Tobodai, Mixcoatl or whoever PMs me first will get the 7th place. If I get 2 notes in +/- the same time, I can place both, as Hugoestr has said that he prefers to be an observer (because he fears he will beat the rest too easily - that's something still to prove anyhow).

Once I have the 7 players I will start a new topic for the training game (this should take about 1 week) and then another one for he true game. I will assign the powers following your preferences (I can't beleive it: no conflicts in the preferences so far! ) and will give you also a different power (your second or third preference) for the training game (so the training doesn't interfere with the real game).

Originally posted by Zagros

Aren't you playing Maju? Or does not the game master play?

Normally the game master doesn't play, specially in PBEM games: I will be seeing all your orders, so it wouldn't be fair.

In face-to-face games though the GM can be one of the players (the orders would be deposited in a box or hat and nobody would see them before all are in). I've seen once one PBEM game in which the GM actually played but it requires lots of trust and is not anything usual.

Anyhow, I will be happy GMing this one and maybe, if we gather enough enthusiasts, we can start another one later on and Hugoestr could GM instead (and I would play then).

Originally posted by Zagros

Ottoman empire (Turkey) is my favourite btw.

Noticed.

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I'd like to play, but I've only played it once, and am not very comfortable with the rules. Is that a problem?

Not actually: most of the players will be novice and, for that reason, we will be having a training mini-game of one game-year (two regular turns plus the winter phase) with very short turns to learn the basics before starting the true game. So please PM me with an email adress and your preferences and we can start with the training.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:21

Originally posted by hugoestr

This instruction is a bit far away, so I will repeat it:
To confirm your place, PM Maju and include your email address and a list of the countries in order of preference.

That will secure your place in the game.

I had seen Maju's instructions, and answered as he requested.  Thanks. 

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:42
This instruction is a bit far away, so I will repeat it:
To confirm your place, PM Maju and include your email address and a list of the countries in order of preference.

That will secure your place in the game.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 11:50

Maju:

If you need another, I will give it a try.

My choice would be Austria-Hungary, if available.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 10:37
Shouldn't be, I've never played before at all.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 09:33
I'd like to play, but I've only played it once, and am not very comfortable with the rules. Is that a problem?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:57

Aren't you playing Maju? Or does not the game master play?

Ottoman empire (Turkey) is my favourite btw.

Edited by Zagros
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>