Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy the topic on Illyrian(Albanians) has been locked?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the topic on Illyrian(Albanians) has been locked?
    Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 15:53
Why the topic on Illyrian(Albanians) has been locked... precisely when I was starting to find it interesting? There was no flame war or anything, just a bunch of +/- interesting information. I can think it could have been moved to "Anthropology, Ethnicity, Linguistics and Etymology" where it could fit better than in "Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations". I know that the author had been advised earlier for using offensive language but in that topic he was simply adding information (some rather interesting stuff, really) and there's no ban notice on him or anything of the like.

The topic has been locked without any explanation by Lannes.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 15:59

Because it was clearly propaganda.  On top of that, the thread creator proved he had no intention to amass an argument himself.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 16:23
Propaganda?! That's very much arguable. The last article he posted was very well pondered and took no side after all. Did you even read it at all? There was a little of everything and we don't know if the author meant to follow his interesting apportations with a discussion if the topic or, if he didn't maybe others could discuss it. He might have become scared or something after he was reprehended for using foul language so maybe he was trying to use other's materials to shed light on the discussion... he's a new member after all.

With all due respect, I wonder if there's not an excess of Greek moderators, with their own patriotic biases/fears. Turk members have complained before and, though I think in most cases it's not any big problem and tolerance is the rule, in this case I think you've gone too far.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 18:47
Well, actually the last article was nothing remotely close to propaganda, not in my book that is, but some of the Albanian members would strongly disagree. As seen in a different topic when I used quite similar arguments to the thoughts presented by the author.

To be honest, I really think he wasn't aware of what the article actually says, probably the fact that it's found in an Albanian site made him believe it would support his original point. 
If you compare it to the first 3 or 4 posts and the last distorted word game, the ideas presented are totally different, actually the last article contradicts all the previous ones.

Anyway, I would enjoy seeing it re-opened.

As for the comment on excess of Hellinic mods.
How could you have mistaken,  the quite simple ability (an ability everyone has) of recognizing a post off a propaganda site to some patriotic biases, well that I don't know. But I do know it's totally wrong.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 18:51
Illyrans are albanians is propaganda?

how so?

Edited by ill_teknique
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 18:53
Originally posted by Phallanx

As for the comment on excess of Hellinic mods.
How could you have mistaken,  the quite simple ability (an ability everyone has) of recognizing a post off a propaganda site to some patriotic biases, well that I don't know. But I do know it's totally wrong.

Well, I hope to be wrong.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 18:55
ill_teknique

You've continuously been jumpping to conclusions in several topics.
Read the topic in question and avoid making a fool out of yourself.
Had you done that, you would have seen that half the posts were a clear distorion of historic facts.
If you don't know that, well then yes allow phallanx to say so.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 19:01
ok Greek Ireland is what im going to argue about in my next post.  I am not jumping to conclusions I am asking questions, you are the one jumping to conclusions in the Srebrenica thread.  You were the one doubting you own countrys involvement as mere propaganda but now when people try to prove something about their own country you attack them. Fool?  I dont make a fool out of myself all my arguments have been rational.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 19:12
You never read the locked topic to begin with, nor have the slightest idea why it was locked.
Then come and make that rediculous comment about phallanx and 'other characters' saying so and now edit your post to cover up the stupid remark.

No one said the idea of Albanians being descendants of the Illyrains is propaganda, had you read the topic you would have understood that. Instead you continuously make a fool, yes a fool out of yourself by posting about a totally irrelevent topic. If you want to discuss Srebrenica, we can do it in the proper topic. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 19:30

I don't think it should have been locked, propaganda can be easily disproved, I wanted to follow up on the scale of transportation of the Albanians from the Caucasus by the "Caliphate", Albanians IMO opinion do not share features with other Caucasian people and seem to have a somewhat unique look about them.  And what about language?

Just some points that would have been interesting to add to the discussion.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 00:57
The theory has been largely rejected today and the two main theories are Thracian origin or Illyrian, most probably a mixture of both. Illyrian stands however as the main and earliest theory as so even I get attacked when I propose that we were a mixture by some whom I would usually say nationalist but that term used in that manner seems to tick off Phallanx . People have tried to connect Albanian to Caucasian languages but it simply does not match. 1000 years is a relatively short time to entirely loose a language and develop an altogether different one... On top of that, lose memory from such a short time ago.
As for Vehbiu? He brings up good points, but nowehre does he show any agreement or even mention of the Caucasian theory of origin... He just disproves the ideas of this unbroke continuity that some have...

Albanians IMO opinion do not share features with other Caucasian people and seem to have a somewhat unique look about them.

I agree with it. I mean, can you match my picture with anything from the Caucasus?(Pic in the post your picture topic)

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 03:35

Albanuians do not share common features with other caucasians?...

i dont know..

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 06:59
Iskender Bey ALBO

What does nationalism have to do with any kind of disagreement on any topic/theory, in this case on the Albanian - Illyrian connection??

If rejecting the possibility of these articles having any real value and calling them obvious propaganda, can be titled nationalistic.
Hell I'm proud to be one

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 07:06
Well, that's the kind of discussion it should be IN the "Illyrian (Albanians)" topic... not here.

Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:22
ok the fool is back to say that he was asking a mere question why it has been locked,  
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:40
[qoute]What does nationalism have to do with any kind of disagreement on any topic/theory, in this case on the Albanian - Illyrian connection??[/quote]

Phallanx, you should understand that whe I use that word, I don't mean someone like you but for someone like the intelligent Trilogy that just recently hit the forum, no doubt from Ezboard. His the kind of fool that buys into any piece he read, actually, I dont even think he reads em or else he would not have posted the last article. Hell even I've been called a nationalist in a derogatory fashion before, EU is really hating that word....

The main reason I believe this theory floats around is due to Serbs and their need to break the idea that Albanians were in Kosovo before them. I rarely find people who still back this, most conferences that involve discussions on the Alb language and origin this seems to just float by it.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:50
You just have to comment don't you?
You didn't simply ask, you directly implied that some of us had a part in the topic being locked, you clearly said that we decided to lock it, as if I'm a mod or have any kind of such access.

You may have edited your stupid comment, but it was seen by enough of us to know where you're going at.

If it was a simple question WHY??? say that it was locked because :
phallanx and 'other characters
' say so

Don't even try to cover it up, leave it be, maybe, just maybe I and the 'other characters' might forget about your insolence, about that intentional attempt to provoke and start a flame, as was seen in your later post.

This time do believe it, cause I say so
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:54
When did I say Phallanx and other characters? If I did it was by mistake. Sorry. Or are you referring to someone else?
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 11:56
No Isk not you, I'm refering to that  ill_teknique
 Post Reply Post Reply