Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur founding fathers were Christians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our founding fathers were Christians?
    Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 18:58
Let's examine that, with a few quotes from the boys themselves.

Thomas Jefferson:

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.

Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus.

More Jefferson:

The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.

Jefferson's word for the Bible?
MORUMBI
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 19:49
I could have probably put it a bit milder, but definitely not any better than good old T. Jefferson.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 20:10
Our founding fathers weren't Christian.  They were Catholic or Protestant I believe.  I know Franklin went to his Church rather often. 
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 20:20

hmm 

but Catholic and Protestant are christans

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 20:40
Christianity is part of the Catholic Chruch headed by the Pope.  There are different forms and rites of Catholics.
Morgoth View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 20:55

Christianity is part of the Catholic Chruch headed by the Pope. 

No. Christianity is basically a religion that stems from the the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Its largest groups are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Protestant churches. It also contains several independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as numerous sects throughout the world.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 21:21
TheGeneral, I am a Catholic myself, and a Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Christ, as Morgoth said. You may beleive only Catholics are "true Christians", which even i do not beleive, but there are many sects other than Catholicism.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 22:03
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Christianity is part of the Catholic Chruch headed by the Pope.  There are different forms and rites of Catholics.

My pills...

Surely you jest. So, according to this, Jesus Crist, from whom Christianity has taken its name, is actually preceded by Catholicism. Hmm, too much Dan Brown...
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 22:07
And by the way, please, when you refer to the founding fathers of the US, kindly say "the US Founding Fathers" and not "our founding fathers", because you post in General World History and, as you might recall, there are other countries that do not belong to the US of A.

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 22:11
Originally posted by Morgoth

Christianity is part of the Catholic Chruch headed by the Pope. 

No. Christianity is basically a religion that stems from the the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Its largest groups are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Protestant churches. It also contains several independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as numerous sects throughout the world.

Yes I understand what Christianity is as I am.  Unfortunatly I did not know as much of the set up of it as some.  Thank you for clearing that up then.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 22:46

Ben Franklin did not distinguish between different religous organizations, if their was a buhdist temple he would have gone there occasionally.

The Guardian View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 22:49
I know that it says ''in god we trust'' in the back of the five dollar bills
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
                             &nb
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 05:48

I have frequently gone to Christian churches of all sorts of denominations (including Unitarians) plus synagogues, Mormon and Sikh temples.

Mostly just out of curiosity. Probably just like Jefferson and Franklin. After all Jefferson said he had studied all the superstitions he could find. Presumably watching them in action was part of the study.

Edited by gcle2003
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:06

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli between Tripoli and the United States, signed in 1796 (ratified 1797), provides:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Text and proceedings of the Senate at http://members.tripod.com/~candst/tripoli1.htm

You can't get much clearer than "...not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion...."

The treaty was accepted with the above wording without debate by the Senate with 23 senators named as voting for it. No names are recorded as voting against, though there should have been 32 senators at the time (at least there were 16 states - but only 15 stripes on the flag )

The treaty was drawn up in Washington's second term, but submitted to the Senate by Adams.

mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 09:34
Originally posted by azimuth

hmm 

but Catholic and Protestant are christans

I agree...of course if you ask someone who considers themselves Christian just what his or her faith is, you'd probably get a different answer from each one of them.

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 10:14

The American leaders who founded the republic had mostly Protestant Episcopal religious backgrounds.  As products of the European "Enlightenment," reason rather than faith was more dominant in their thinking about religion, and much of the contemporary fashion of that has been characterized as "Deism"......that God was the creator and man was responsible after that for his own actions.  Little if any devine intercession was acknowledged.

Obviously not all those men thought alike, but it was a general consensus in late eighteenth century culture, and was the basis for the principal of "separation of church and state" in the U.S. constitution.  One was free to believe as he wished about God.  I do not think it was considered that important at the time.

As things change, and fashions and fads ebb and flow, there have been numerous revivals and erosions of Christian movements in America in 230 years.  The current evangelical Christian influence on the Republican right wing is an example.  Most of their more eloquent spokesmen are aging and will become less relevant.  Over time, the evangelicals will tend to piss off more people than they persuade.  We have seen it before and it will pass.  A lot of people say they are evangelicals because it is a current fashion.      

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 11:50

Our founding fathers were all Catholics ( in Mexico , of course ),Hidalgo, Morelos, Matamoros, Antonio Torres were catholic priests.

The Mexican Independence War was headed by the image of our Lady of Guadalupe.

ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 02:49

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Our founding fathers were all Catholics ( in Mexico , of course ),Hidalgo, Morelos, Matamoros, Antonio Torres were catholic priests.

The Mexican Independence War was headed by the image of our Lady of Guadalupe.

dont know if you have discussed this already but i was thinking about it today. Imagine a person who believes that Jesus sacrificed himself and was God's son and there is the holy spirit, the father and the son. What if that person murders someone. Will he still go to heaven because he believed in Jesus' sacrifice or not?

S

MORUMBI
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 02:43

One must wonder if he really believed in Jesus in the first place.

1 John 2 says that he who says he knows Christ but doesn't do as He says is a liar. And later in that same chapter, John says that if anyone hates his brother he is still in darkness.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 10:35

I watching something on Larry King live with people from different religeons and different sects of a religion also a person speaking for the athiest. There was a Protestant there and he said that even a killer can goto heaven as long as he says he believes in Jesus. All the other religeous leaders seemed to look at him like he had two heads.

I believe if there was a god and he judged you by your life, that he would let you go to a paradise of some sort by just being good in life and never having to be apart of a religeon. On the show thats what the Jewish Rabbai(spelling*) said, which kind of surprised me because they seem to be alittle strict in their religeon.

But I believe more strongly if there was a god or gods he/they would not care what we did in our lives because in the definition of a divine god we are insigifcant lives, why would they care so much about us and actually need our worship, its either for ego or probably and most likely all untrue. If every human died right now and a god existed what effect would it have on him? He could either raise us all from the dead or he could just create a whole new batch of humans, or most likely with a god of that kind of power probably wouldn't care and would go watch his other creations kill themselves through wars for divine land and genocides because a race is different for his own pleasure and entertainment.

And about Ben Franklin, he used to be apart of  the Hellfire Club which is known for being satanist. Heres a link and a small clip from the history channel if you scroll down alittle, it starts playing as soon as you open the page. http://www.infowars.com/articles/occult/hellfire.htm

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>