Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20 JULY 1944

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 JULY 1944
    Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 12:08
Let's remember those members of the German resistance who on this day 60 ago unsuccessfully tried to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

The plot was let by several high ranking members of the German army and various conservative German politicians.
On the 20/07/44 Oberst Claus von Stauffenberg planted a bomb in Hitler's HQ "Wolfsschanze" but Hitler survived through a chain of unfortunate events.
Stauffenberg and most of his fellow conspirators were executed in the days following the attempt on Hitler's life.

More Information

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 14:12

I remember Rommel! He was a true hero of Germany.

Edited by Murtaza
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 15:47
Originally posted by Murtaza

I remember Rommel! He was a true hero of Germany.

I believe that is one thing we definatly agree on!  To quote Rommel, "What if the 20th had worked?".  Too bad he had to fall for that.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 16:54

I notice in the rush to Rommel's rectum nobody's notive the site doesn't even metion Rommel.

As far as I'm aware Rommel had nothing to do with the plot, other than it was used as an escuse to bump him off for other reasons. And of course nowadays sadly to keep the real heroes in obscurity.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 17:16

Rommel had no direct part in the attack.  However, when Hitler was searching for the attackers, he found papers listing people that would be able to become the head of Germany once he was gone.  Sadly, Rommel was on that list.  And although he was not on that site, he was sadly eliminated after the attack.

Rommel was a real hero!

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 17:25
Originally posted by Paul

I notice in the rush to Rommel's rectum nobody's notive the site doesn't even metion Rommel.

As far as I'm aware Rommel had nothing to do with the plot, other than it was used as an escuse to bump him off for other reasons. And of course nowadays sadly to keep the real heroes in obscurity.

Hear, hear!

I'm slightly mystified as well, why Rommel has to pop up in this thread.
His involvement in the plot was never convincingly proven, the opinions on this are divided. It might be part of an enduring Rommel myth that wants to portray him as a long standing opponent of Hitler. For most of his career, he was a willing tool of the Nazis, and unlike many others of his rank never openly opposed Hitler's policies or war plans, on the contrary.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 17:46

He never opposed Hitler because he didn't know who evil and phycotic he was.  He was convinced that Hitler knew nothing of the horrors.  He finally came around when Hitler told him to kill all prisoners and Rommel tore up the paper.  And then was strengthened by the fact that he would not allow his troops to pull out.

Why can't Rommel pop up here?  He also died as a result of the plot.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:10
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Rommel had no direct part in the attack.  However, when Hitler was searching for the attackers, he found papers listing people that would be able to become the head of Germany once he was gone.  Sadly, Rommel was on that list.  And although he was not on that site, he was sadly eliminated after the attack.

Rommel was a real hero!

I never heard of any papers mention Rommel as future leader, just a word uttered in delirius sleep by one of the plotters that sounded like "Rommel" and no proof this is true, the investigators could have made it up. 

Rommel as a hero is a  joke. He made war for Hitler, he supported him, he followed him round like a lap dog when he went on tour......and he gained fame and wealth from this for himself. And when the war started to go wrong he didn't get his way he sulked like a schoolboy. As a general he had some talent and person he was a shallow and vein prig.

If you're interested in what constitutes a real hero, check out The Munich Post or The White Rose Resistance Group to name but a few.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:20
Lets honor the brave!
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:26

He never opposed Hitler because he didn't know who evil and phycotic he was. He was convinced that Hitler knew nothing of the horrors.

Rommel belonged to Hitler's close circle at the beginning of the war, for a while in charge of Hitler's safety, and was possibly quickly promoted because of his tight knit relationship with his "Fuehrer".
I'm sure he would have had amble oppurtunity to find out how psychotic and evil the dictator was, and reason enough to oppose Hitler's criminal plans, if he hadn't just obeyed orders like any other good German soldier.
Although Rommel cannot personally be accused of committing war crimes, the myths about his resistance to Hitler are part of the greater myth that the "Wehrmacht" was not either not aware or not involved in the atrocities that the Germans undertook in the occupied territories.
This myth has ben exposed as the lie that it was recently, and is has been shown that the Wehrmacht participated in the massacres of civilians just like any other SS unit.
There have been a number of officers and soldiers who actively opposed the Nazi crimes, and Rommel wasn't one of them.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 18:49

Rommel did opose Hitler, when he actually figured out what was going on.  But as one of his aids said, he was as nieve politically as he was brilliant militarily.

To say Rommel was not a hero, to both Germans and the allies, is ludacris!  He was one of the greatest generals in WWII.  you would be hard pressed to find another general who did the things Rommel did with his men and with the honor he had on the battlefield.  Ask those hundreds of soldiers, from both sides, who come to his grave every year to honor him.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 19:47

Rommel was a soldier and did his duty as one.  That duty was to fight Germany's war.

If there is a question as to Rommel's honor and the respect in which he was held by the Allies, ask the few remaining British, Australian and Indian Eighth Army veterans about their opinion.  I think the vast majority of them would have a favorable opinion.  I think even the Italians admired him although he overshadowed them. 

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 03:04
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Rommel was a soldier and did his duty as one. That duty was to fight Germany's war.

That's of course an interesting question. If military personnel, officers and soldiers alike, are actually bound by the orders of their political leaders, if those pursue criminal plans.
Or is it indeed their moral duty to oppose such criminals and rid their country of it's internal enemy.
As Hitler's wars were wars of agression, and as Germany at the outset of the war was neither endangered, or the attack on Poland was in any other way justified, and as the criminal nature of the regime had become more than evident( Persecution of the Jews before 1939, for example) could it have been the duty of those, who might have had the oppurtunity, to fight Germany's war against it's own political leaders?
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 06:01

so what should he do?

He should  give his country to Churchill(not much better guy than hitler) or stalin?

A standart soldiers should not be accused because of hitlers crime.

He fight his country, and realy fight fine.  He is a hero. What ever hitler did cannot change it.

Komnenos,

could it have been the duty of those, who might have had the oppurtunity, to fight Germany's war against it's own political leaders?

If this is duty, no one interested this duty much, most of the ordinary soldiers followed their national leader.

Because of hitler, you should not accuse all germany.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 09:13

Although I don't think Chrurchill was as bad as Hitler, he was a hero.

He was the most up front general.  He was always with his troops and on the front whenever possible.  He cared for his soldiers more than himself.

He cared  for his country.  He owuld do anything for Germany, and sadly, he fidured out what that was too late.

He followed orders.  Had he not  he would have been killed. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 09:55

To say Rommel was not a hero, to both Germans and the allies, is ludacris!  He was one of the greatest generals in WWII. 

so? He was a great general indeed. But someone who supports and fights for an evil cause is not generally called a hero.

That duty was to fight Germany's war.

He fight his country, and realy fight fine. 

He cared  for his country.

Hasn't WW2 taught you anything? Supporting ones country whether it's right or wrong is exactly what has caused many war crimes in WW2.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 10:18

Hasn't WW2 taught you anything? Supporting ones country whether it's right or wrong is exactly what has caused many war crimes in WW2.

Good words, but realty dont work  this way.(Even I wish)

Still a Turkish life is more precious than a greek life(for Turks)

And a greek life is more precious than a Turk(For greeks)

And American life is most precious one.

Even All religion say this is wrong, this is what our world.

So I think, he didnt make any crimes personally. So he is not much different than next person about this issue.

he fight good, for this we should respect him.

But well If  we look acordance to your word, he is not hero.

so? He was a great general indeed. But someone who supports and fights for an evil cause is not generally called a hero.

This include almost all  of war.  War is made for benefits not for holy reasons.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 10:50

War is not a crime.  What people were put on trial for was murder and mistreatment of prisoners.  Rommel did neither of those things.  He was remarked by the British as being the most honorable general in the war.  If he had lived, he would not have been put on trial.

Someone who supports an evil man is not a hero, but Rommel did not support an evil man.  He did this for his country, who just happened to be his Fuehrer.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 12:20

He did this for his country, who just happened to be his Fuehrer.

When your country is ruled by a genocidal mass murder, supporting your country is not a virtue any more.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by Murtaza

Still a Turkish life is more precious than a greek life(for Turks)

And a greek life is more precious than a Turk(For greeks)

Though I fear that's the sad true, that's also the reason that both countries are like they are: hyper-militarized and hyper-ideologized of nationalism... a rather poor picture.

Still, I'm sure that for some Turks and Greeks, those that have a humanist philosophy, this is not the case and I admire them for being able to think more, farther and better than their compatriots inside the difficult context of such nationalistic (narcissistic) societies.

Again, this doesn't apply only to the aforementioned countries but to many other places... but it is a good example.

I do think that in the case of Nazi Germany and in so many other cases when human rights are violated, soldiers, as the responsible persons they are above anything else, are responsible of the crime they participate in and those they cover up as well.

Orders are no excuse not to do the right thing. That's a coward and inmoral attitude.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>