Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Descedants of Bonaparte in america

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doorman View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Descedants of Bonaparte in america
    Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:47
Where are they now and  what are they doing?
I know that the american branch comes from Napoleon's youngest brother Jerome by his first(and annulled by Napoleon) marriage. It includes Charles Joseph Bonaparte the secretary of the Navy and Attorney General under Theodore Roosevelt.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 16:13

I believe Jerome Bonaparte settled in Baltimore.

Perhaps there is a "society" or a website concerning the immigrant Bonapartes.  May check this weekend if there is time.  How about you?

jdb777 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jdb777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 20:51
Ive researched a bit on the subject (being a fan of Napoleon) and found nothing...either they died out or dont claim their ancestry on the web
"It is well war is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it." Robert E. Lee
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2015 at 20:29
Jerome Napoléon Bonaparte (1805-1870), the son of Jerome and Elizabeth (Betsy) Patterson of Maryland, married Susan May Williams.    
Their son Jerome Napoléon Bonaparte (1830-1893) married Caroline Le Roy Appleton Edgar.     
Jerome and Caroline's daughter, Louise-Eugénie Bonaparte (1873-1923) married, in 1876, Count Adam Carl von Moltke-Huitfeld (1864-1944). Louise and Adam Carl have several descendants.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 10:28
Joseph Bonaparte had a estate at Bordentown NJ. He lived there for some years.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 11:58
I think there are quite many Napoleon's descedants from his relation with Polish countess Maria Walewska.

They had a son named Aleksander Collona Walewski who during second empire was a minister of French goverment and French and Polish diplomat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Colonna-Walewski

He had many descedants who live until today. Their DNA proved that are direct descedants of Napoleon Bonaparte.

The Walewski familly website:

Walewski familly website

Edited by Mosquito - 06-Jul-2015 at 12:04
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 12:10
Son of Napoleon and countess Walewska as young Polish officer:

He much later, as minister of foreign affairs of France:

Edited by Mosquito - 06-Jul-2015 at 12:11
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 12:58
I think that the descendants of Jerome Bonaparte and Betsy Patterson who were resident in America eventually died out. However, the descendant ( Louise-Eugenie) who moved back to Europe and married into the von Moltke family still has several descendants still extant.
Windemere
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 13:08
I believe you're right, there are plentiful descendants today from Napoleon I's liaison with his maitresse Maria Walewska. There's even an agnatic (male) line of descendants traceable back to Napoleon I. I doubt that they have any claim today to the vacant French imperial throne, since they're illegitimate, but it's nevertheless interesting that they're still around.

However, I heard that they recently compared the y-chromosome DNA of Napoleon I with his later successor, his nephew Napoleon III, and the DNA didn't match. Napoleon I's DNA did match up with that of his own brothers, including the one who was previously believed to be the father of Napoleon III. Even back in those times, there had been rumors that Napoleon III had been fathered by his mother's lover, and not by his official father. So modern DNA analysis has probably confirmed that.

Napoleon III and his wife had only one child, the Prince Imperial Louis, who died in South Africa while attached to a British military unit that was fighting the Zulus. And so, the present day Bonaparte family descends, in male line, from another of the Bonaparte brothers.

Edited by Windemere - 06-Jul-2015 at 13:11
Windemere
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2015 at 23:55
Well at least he had good taste. She was a beautiful lady. The odd thing is that the son denied his patrimony... why? would be an interesting subject of investigation.

But Red brought to mind a story from several years ago...Had to dig but here it is:

''Digging Up the Home of That Other Bonaparte, in New Jersey''

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/nyregion/new-jersey/26bonapartenj.html?_r=0
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply