Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post here 3 things that you gave to the world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post here 3 things that you gave to the world
    Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 09:49
Phallanx,
There are those who argue that those greek words were adopted just for prestige purposes. It's like here in Greece that we had used foreign words in the past to sound more sophisticated.
Personally I do not agree with this view, but there are those who will present it.
CARRY NOTHING
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 11:18

Originally posted by kotumeyil

I think it's wrong to claim any ethnicity or "nation" for a humanoid that lived 1,000,000 years ago.

I don't suppose anyone claims that!

At least I hope not

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 11:47
Originally posted by kotumeyil

I think it's wrong to claim any ethnicity or "nation" for a humanoid that lived 1,000,000 years ago. Even the purest ethnicity we know in the history must be the result of an interbreeding between humanoids...

Well of course I don't claim any humanoid from 1.000.000yrs ago to be our Hellinic ancestor. I was simply playing with the idea of inventing Kebab. Logic says that he who lit the first or second fire was the inventor, most probably out of pure luck but it must have been him.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 13:00

Coffee is Arabic... whatever...

In fact it isnt. It is from Ethiopia or another east African region. It was firstly used in Yemen during the reign of Ottomans, and the western world learned it from us. So Arabs are the introducers, we are the contributers.

And Phallanx, you got me wrong again, I didnt say we invented asphalt or smthing like that. I said we invented that practical and cheap way of highway architecture for 3rd world countries, in the 20th century, and that is a fact. So kind of a joke, showing how our tax moneys are wasted for 3 year lifed cheap roads...

Edited by Oguzoglu
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 13:31
Originally posted by Menippos

Well, I am sure that fire was not a greek creation.

But Greek fire was

But was it? The rumours are that the recipe had been around for ages, but only the Byzantines understood to employ it successfully.
It the same story with the measles (Rubella), they had been around for centuries, but only the Germans managed to spread the virus around on a big scale, and thus they were named "German measles".

Edited by Komnenos
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 19:55
LOL, perhaps indeed, Komnenos
CARRY NOTHING
human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 02:36

we forgot the most 3 important things!

Souvlaki, ouzo and mpouzouki!

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 08:08
Well, according to the thread's title, I will answer:
I gave to the world:
1) Some good jokes.
2) One painting of a donkey.
3) A mechanism that holds wheelchars in ambulances.

CARRY NOTHING
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 12:01
again... topics like this are just useless. some people claim smth to be theirs then some other come and say no it's ours... I always hated these pointless discussions.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:07
Originally posted by ramin

again... topics like this are just useless. some people claim smth to
be theirs then some other come and say no it's ours... I always hated
these pointless discussions.

Well spoken!
There were moments when I thought, I would put concentration camps, large scale genocide and barbed wire as three things we gave to the world!
But then I thought, better not, somebody comes and claims them for his nation and we would have endless debates on that.

Edited by Komnenos
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 20:34
LOL - sounds like KFC, Komnenos
CARRY NOTHING
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345