Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Constantinople 1453- The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
timurshah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timurshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Constantinople 1453- The Movie
    Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 06:22

he just wanted to capture istanbul which divided his country into two parts::: and wanted to be the man who ll conquer istanbul that Muhammed had wanted before...       

p.s. during medieval times, ottomans always were welcome in the cities that they conquered... Have  you ever thought about it,Heraclius???

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 09:24

You cant argue a man has great humanity when the role of Sultan or king or emperor is to rule a kingdom that will inevitably commit inhuman acts, for which the leader is responsible. That doesnt mean to say every single leader ever was bad, but you cant really call them humane. Conquest by its very essence is inhumane.

I very much doubt every city the Ottomans conquered wanted the Ottomans to occupy it, why on earth would so many have fought so long against the Ottomans? if they didnt mind being ruled by them?

Somebody on here said recently, that the Turks have a very nationalistic/blinkered view of history and I couldnt possibly agree more.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:11
Actually Muhammed didn't fight at all. The only thing he did was to observe the siege from a safe distance on his horse...what a fighter...Thumbs%20Down

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:14
No need to be involved in direct altercations when you are the leader, commander in chief, commander of the faithful, war planner as he was during this siege as the Sultan.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 13:03

the humiliation of the ottoman navy by 4 transport ships obviously was not in his plans...

Hmmmmm....I think if we put this scene in the movie it will turn to a commedyLOL.
just imagine the scene...
When he show his ships crushing each other and get sink , he endered with his horse in Bosporus and shouted threads to his embarrassed janissary sailors.

Who was in charge of their naval forces ?  Can you remember ?Halil pascha? I think his admiral was tortured and dissengaged after this lose. The Greek admiral was Flandanellas. The transport ships were owned by the Genoese.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 14:20
Originally posted by Athanasios

the humiliation of the ottoman navy by 4 transport ships obviously was not in his plans...

Hmmmmm....I think if we put this scene in the movie it will turn to a commedyLOL.
When he show his ships crushing each other and get sink , he endered with his horse in Bosporus and shouted threads to his embarrassed janissary sailors.

Who was in charge of their naval forces ?  Can you remember ?Halil pascha? I think his admiral was tortured and dissengaged after this lose. The Greek admiral was Flandanellas. The transport ships were owned by the Genoese.

You can laugh all you want but if this movie is a Historical movie we allready know the outcome don't we Wink
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 15:03
I'll provide a scenario:

The movie will be told from the point of view of the Venetian physician Nicol Barbaro, who has a Byzantine girlfriend. He doesn't want to get involved into the fighting. As the siege draws near, he initially wants to take his girlfriend to safety (somewhere in the west, Venetia), but he gets stuck in Constantinople. (Many possibilities here: his girlfriend wants to stay there, he is tricked by some Genoese, something like that.)

Barbaro quickly distinguishes himself in battle (basically being the master mind behind all clever decisions of the defenders, such as tracing mines of Ottoman sappeurs and filling them up with water) and becomes a close friend of the emperor Constantine. He doesn't like the Genoese guy, Giustiniani; however, in the course of events they both learn to appreciate each other and realize the foolishness of their narrow patriotism. There are no similar in-depth confrontations with the Ottoman soldiers, who are computer-generated.

From time to time, a voice-over comments on the scenes by citing  passages from Barbaro's diary.

At the end, as the city falls, Barbaro and his wife (by then) and her family accompany the mortally wounded Giustiniani to the island of Chios (or Lesbos, what was it?). There Giustiniani succumbs to his wounds, and Barbaro and his wife weep bitterly. Finally he and his entourage head for Venetia, where, so much the wiser, they live on happily ever after.

- The End -

Edited by Lepidodendron - 03-Feb-2007 at 20:25
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 09:18
Originally posted by xi_tujue

You can laugh all you want but if this movie is a Historical movie we allready know the outcome don't we Wink

O, yeah...dark ages begining in S.E. EuropeCry

Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 09:35
The admiral of the Ottoman fleet was called Baltoglu.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 11:07

Actually Muhammed didn't fight at all. The only thing he did was to observe the siegefrom a safedistance on his horse...what a fighter...

And if he did fight, I am sure you would label him as 'a vile butcher'.

O, yeah...dark ages begining in S.E. Europe

Not at all. Ottomans were less cruel than the former rulers of that region.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 12:03

You could say Constantinople was saved by the Turks. We heard lot's of scenario's what about this one? If Turk's didn't take control she would have just carried on going down-hill ending up in a delapadated state. Be raided now and again, have more and more of the city looted, fall into dis-repair, the wealthy would migrate to other more prosperour cities and so on.

After the Turk's entered, she had another golden-age, from the cities point of view it was beneficial.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 13:27

Originally posted by Feanor

Actually Muhammed didn't fight at all. The only thing he did was to observe the siege from a safe distance on his horse...what a fighter...

And if he did fight, I am sure you would label him as 'a vile butcher'.

Well neither G.Bush junior fights in Iraq but he is concidered as responsible for many innocent victims.

O, yeah...dark ages begining in S.E. Europe

Not at all. Ottomans were less cruel than the former rulers of that region.

Yes. impalement was a common punishment since 19th century especially against Christians...Not to mention the "blood tax"
Young%20Greeks%20at%20the%20Mosque%20%28Jean%20Lon%20Grme,%20oil%20on%20canvas,%20%201865%29;%20this%20oil%20painting%20portrays%20Greek%20youths%20who%20were%20converted%20to%20Islam%20%20to%20become%20the%20elite%20of%20the%20army%20%28Turkish%20yeniceri,%20recruit%29. 
"Young Greeks at the Mosque" (Jean Lon Grme, oil on canvas, 1865); this oil painting portrays Greek youths who were converted to Islam to become the elite of the army (Turkish yeniceri, "recruit").

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 15:33
The Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h) was not present at the Siege of Constantinople, Eyup the stand-bearer was.

And Janissaries in 1865 not very reliable, infact a total fantasy painting based upon the imagination and not among facts.

It's funny that you don't like to focus on what the Crusader's did to you which is pretty much worse than anything the Turks did Wink
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 15:53

Well neither G.Bush junior fights in Iraq but he is concidered as responsible for many innocent victims.

So what do you accuse Muhammed of?

Yes. impalement wasa common punishmentsince 19th century especially against Christians...

You certainly have some problems with the time period.

Impalement was just a common method of execution in that time region. Other people used it as well. Ottomans did not invent it.

Originally posted by Bulldog

The Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h)

So you are British and... Muslim?

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 17:20

The Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h) was not present at the Siege of Constantinople

Dead.....not that funny

And Janissaries in 1865 not very reliable, infact a total fantasy painting based upon the imagination and not among facts.

Oh,yes. The painting should have been completed before1826 to depict a reality of 5 centuries ...

It's funny that you don't like to focus on what the Crusader's did to you which is pretty much worse than anything the Turks did Wink

Its funny that you ask me something like that  when the topic is about a movie for the fall of Constantinopole in 1453.And Crusaders didn't do anything to me in person(now that's funnyDead).cheers!

Well neither G.Bush junior fights in Iraq but he is concidered as responsible for many innocent victims.

So what do you accuse Muhammed of?

Obviously you didn't understand my example...

Yes. impalement was a common punishment since 19th century especially against Christians...
[/QUOTE] You certainly have some problems with the time period.[/QUOTE]

Nop.You have some problems with the time period . I can give a little source if you want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasios_Diakos.

Don't make me to continue this kind of dialogue because is tottaly off topic.
We can discuss things like those in the 99,8% of the forum topics, not in the historical amusement, for god's sake!

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 17:42

We can discuss things like those in the 99,8% of the forum topics, not in the historical amusement, for god's sake!

Why not? It is related to the conquest of Constantinople.

Firstly, yes, you do have problems with time, because Ottomans had been using impalement for centuries, not since 19th.

Secondly, I didn't say that Ottomans were angels, they were just less cruel.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 18:34

[QUOTE=Athanasios]We can discuss things like those in the 99,8% of the forum topics, not in the historical amusement, for god's sake!

Why not? It is related to the conquest of Constantinople.

Yes but is about amusement

Firstly, yes, you do have problems with time, because Ottomans had been using impalement for centuries, not since 19th.

My mistakeOuch.wrong use of english language....

Secondly, I didn't say that Ottomans were angels, they were just less cruel. 
Sorry, i cannot agree with you

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 18:56
Common Anthan, your forefathers even said

"Rather the turban of the Turk than the tiara of the pope."

They couldn't have been as bad as you make out and treated Greeks better and with more respect than the Crusaders did Wink
Albert Pine

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 06:43

Common Anthan, your forefathers even said

"Rather the turban of the Turk than the tiara of the pope."

They couldn't have been as bad as you make out and treated Greeks better and with more respect than the Crusaders did Wink

Oh  , i see...

1)My forefathers maybe were crusaders themselves, maybe were grey wolves or whatever by this period.I just can't imagine.What about yours?Wink

2)Why should i comment something fool that was said even before the discovery of America ?( if that was realy said, and don't say that you show it written somewere. it is not a scientically argued source ...)

3)Treated [Greeks(?)] better(?). I think that you should use the words "...butchered the unarmed population more polite than the crusaders did"
Yes , crusaders were even worse.
Huge amounts of knowledge were lost because of them forever by destroying libraries etc. etc.
The people who lived into the city were Romans, the people who live nowadays in Salonica and Athens are Greeks, and they don't give a penny about PopeTongue...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 09:11
Athanasios, Ottoman domination had not anly bad sides as you were tought in school. Surely there is nothing good in blood taxes, musulmanization, burning of churches, kidnapping and  raping and so on but mention that all that crap was in Balkans and everywhere else before Ottomans. Also keep in mind that real revolts against Ottomans started when the state wasn't able to offer efficient beurocracy in our territories(18th-19 centuries). And third, during Ottomans Bulgarian church was given under rule fo Greek church. And Greeks behaved not exactly  as "brothers in misfortune" should behave, so that some people speak about "Turkish-Greek slavery" Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>