Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Constantinople 1453- The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Constantinople 1453- The Movie
    Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 12:40
Who would play the dark double-taker who accidently leaves the door open on purpose as he rubs his hands?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 20:46

Personally I think the event should be seen through the eyes of Loukas Notaras. For those of you who don't know he actually survived the siege, was a very prominent Byzantine and lost his life for refusing to surrender up his son to Mehmet II's personal delectation. Through his eyes the event can be seen on a strategic and also personal level. He should be portrayed as a man of immense dignity, uncompromising in his loyalty to the Byzanytine tradition and unflinchingly ready to accept the end of his life rather than betray his principals.

Also exactly HOW far are we going to stretch historical truth? Personally I don't like the way directors do that. For 1453 I think there is a heap of great storylines and little details to follow, it would only take someone imaginative enough to bring it together to keep things interesting.

romanosstrategos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote romanosstrategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 14:00
what about a movie how romans fought against the papcy
trying to forecely convert its populations in feudalis ma slavery
and catholicism and when the turks came -----it was prefered by
the romans " rather the turkish hat than the latin hat"{germans,
normans whatever} and in the end our religion was saved
rather than being converted to catholic
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 18:41
Originally posted by romanosstrategos

Great idea!
I can see it now!
Not one movie but a whole series of potential blockbusters!

Pope Wars I-   The Photios Menace
Pope Wars II- Cardinal Humbert strikes back
Pope Wars III- The Return of the Filioque

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 20:21

Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by romanosstrategos

Great idea!
I can see it now!
Not one movie but a whole series of potential blockbusters!

Pope Wars I-   The Photios Menace
Pope Wars II- Cardinal Humbert strikes back
Pope Wars III- The Return of the Filioque

Haha, so few people will get that bvut for those who do it's gold. There's another issue, do we want to make it historically accurate where Constantine and his city falls or do we make an alternative history where Byzantium survives and stands on the brink of its reurgence. Personally I think we should stick to the history books as the story is interesting enough.

Of course all the "good guys" in the film will have to have American accents so we can be sure of a bg turnout and favourable critical reviews .

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 23:54

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Personally I think the event should be seen through the eyes of Loukas Notaras. For those of you who don't know he actually survived the siege, was a very prominent Byzantine and lost his life for refusing to surrender up his son to Mehmet II's personal delectation. Through his eyes the event can be seen on a strategic and also personal level. He should be portrayed as a man of immense dignity, uncompromising in his loyalty to the Byzanytine tradition and unflinchingly ready to accept the end of his life rather than betray his principals.

Wow, a movie through the eyes of Notaras would be quite interesting!  I too have wondered why and the world Hollywood has not recognized the immense potential the Fall of 1453 has for a big epic movie.  I would hope that they would keep the computer generated effects to a minimum, though.  For a convincing look, some of the walls of Theodosius would have to be rebuilt and demolished.  I would want to see real cannon too, not computer gimmickery.

As for the director and cast, let's start naming some names.  For starters, I think the director should be Ridley Scott, Mel Gibson, or possibly Peter Jackson.

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 04:01
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Murtaza

What I told is, Turks fighting inside of castle, not Turks sieged castle.

I dont care much If they show us as evil.

If they prefer enemity between Turkey and EU, None will get any benefit.

Wasn't it one of Mehmet's brothers who had sought refuge in Constantinople, and fought for the defence. Or have I mixed this up with some other event?

Wasn't his name Orhan?  I think that he also spoke perfect Greek (well Byzantine Greek at that time), and tied to pass as a POW until someone squealed on him and he was beheaded immediately...
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 04:04
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

...Wow, a movie through the eyes of Notaras would be quite interesting!  I too have wondered why and the world Hollywood has not recognized the immense potential the Fall of 1453 has for a big epic movie.  I would hope that they would keep the computer generated effects to a minimum, though.  For a convincing look, some of the walls of Theodosius would have to be rebuilt and demolished.  I would want to see real cannon too, not computer gimmickery.....

From what I understand, there are no Greek or Turkish movies about it either (though I could be wrong).  I'd love to see this as a Hollywood movie, but I don't think it will ever happen - not many people in today's world know where (or what) Constantinople is anyways (which in itself is a shame).
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 08:14
In fact there is a Turkish film made in the 1950s. I watched it when I was a child, 17-18 years ago. I don't remember much but I think it had a little bit nationalistic dimension and that's understandable
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 09:29

Was it kind of similar with the series "Kara Murat" or "Baddal Gazi"?

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 10:57
Oguzoglu i had a script about 1453, i still laugh when i see him. Ill post him if i can get into my pc
OUT OF LIMIT
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:15
if there is no western romanticism/chauvinism involved in it hollywood won't make such a film.

Edited by Zagros
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:17

I prefer Baddal gazi then American Rambo

OUT OF LIMIT
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:19

Edited by Kenaney
OUT OF LIMIT
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:20
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Was it kind of similar with the series "Kara Murat" or "Baddal Gazi"?

Not so much... Of course there were Turkish heros but the whole story was told. But you know I watched it in the mid 1980s so don't expect me to say much! 

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:24

Does anyone know this guy?

OUT OF LIMIT
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 11:42

God bless his soul. Allah rahmet eylesin. He was a real comedian...

BTW, do you guys like the movie "Dunya'y Kurtaran Adam"?

I taws choosen as one of the three worst movies of the world history by movie experts, but I still love it...

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 12:11

The 1951 produced Turkish movie on the Fall of Constantinople a few knowledge and a poster in the below links...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316041/

http://www.4x10.com/afisgoster.asp?ID=13188

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 12:28
actually in new york and ohio where they sell or rent old movies it is the most rented movie they categorized it as a comedy movie here in north America
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 12:31
Originally posted by erci

actually in new york and ohio where they sell or rent old movies it is the most rented movie they categorized it as a comedy movie here in north America

The Man Who Saved The World  ~   As in[Dunyayi Kurtaran Adam ]

Edited by erci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>