Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Jesus Christ really exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Jesus Christ really exist?
    Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 08:41
I remember this from two years ago, but a math teacher told me that they tried to use math to see if God really exsist. She told me that they found the answer but that they do not want to reveal the equation nor the answer.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:51
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I remember this from two years ago, but a math teacher told me that they tried to use math to see if God really exsist. She told me that they found the answer but that they do not want to reveal the equation nor the answer.

As the question about the existence of god who is one with his son, is also the ultimate question about life, the universe and everything, the answer to both has been found, and was revealed in a seminal work by the great British philosopher Douglas Adams: It is......42!

For more information see here
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 12:45
I could be wrong, but doesn't there need to be something to put the mathematics to to represent? Without anything to really show for evidence of a supreme being, you could say the maths mean a number of things. There are alot of answers done through math by scientists that give the number of how many intelligent civilizations there are in the universe and how many come about everyday. You can get any answer you wish with out hard data and evidence to use.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 05:16
If God did not exist, then somebody would have invented him.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 08:32

Atheism is no more a belief than the assertion "that that there are no blue fairies frolicking on the moon" is a belief.[quote]

Of course it is! Its a belief that there is no God. My Dad is one and he believes that Jesus never existed. I should piont howver that Im not prejudaced at all.

As a Catholic I do believe Christ but I suggest that the biblical descriptions of him my not be totally accurate. Ever heard of the Gnostic Gospels? They were found in the Egyptian dessert having been buried there some 1000 years after his death. They also talk about Jesus life but as a mortal man not the Messiah. They even suggest a close relationship with Mary Magdalene. She even gets her own Gospel. I wonder if these are a more accurate depiction of Christ's life or least that they tell us more than the Church would have us know.

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 10:17
As far as beliefs go, I'll stick with Plato (in Meno):

1.   One must have a belief;
2.   The belief must be true;
3.   One must be able to back up this belief with evidence.

Belief is the daughter of knowledge, of which there are two types:
Knowledge gained by observation, and
Knowledge gained by evidence.

None of this applies to religion.  As far as atheism goes, not to believe in something dissolves belief altogether.  To not believe is not a belief.  It is a non-belief, canceling out belief altogether.  You can't get something out of nothing, no matter how hard the religious/superstitious try.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 10:46

Originally posted by Dark Age

As far as beliefs go, I'll stick with Plato (in Meno):

1.   One must have a belief;
2.   The belief must be true;
3.   One must be able to back up this belief with evidence.

Belief is the daughter of knowledge, of which there are two types:
Knowledge gained by observation, and
Knowledge gained by evidence.

None of this applies to religion.  As far as atheism goes, not to believe in something dissolves belief altogether.  To not believe is not a belief.  It is a non-belief, canceling out belief altogether.  You can't get something out of nothing, no matter how hard the religious/superstitious try.

I disagree. Atheism is a belief (the belief that there is no God). Skepticism, and more specifically agnosticism (there may or may not be a God; the decision should be made upon definite evidence) is as close to absence of belief, or rather the reluctance to establish a belief, that you can get in matters religious.

-Akolouthos

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 11:06
Originally posted by Paul

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources derive from hearsay accounts.

Some historians might disagree with you there ...

Cornelius Tacitus, Gaius Suetonius Tranquillas, Flavius Josephus, Pliny the Younger, The Jewish Talmud, Lucian, Clement, Ignatius, Quadratus and Justin Martyr, all extra-Biblical, made references to Christ in surviving manuscripts.

Also,

In the Acts of Pontius Pilate, referred to by Justin Martyr in 150 AD:

"And the expression, 'They pierced my hands and my feet,' was used in reference to the nails of the cross which were fixed in His hands and feet. And after he was crucified, they cast lots upon His vesture, and they that crucified Him parted it among them. And that these things did happen you can ascertain the 'Acts' of Pontius Pilate." 

Edited by Trajan Fidelis
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by Trajan Fidelis

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources derive from hearsay accounts.

Some historians might disagree with you there ...

Cornelius Tacitus, Gaius Suetonius Tranquillas, Flavius Josephus, Pliny the Younger, The Jewish Talmud, Lucian, Clement, Ignatius, Quadratus and Justin Martyr, all extra-Biblical, made references to Christ in surviving manuscripts.

All them make references to Christians not directly to Jesus. Jesus (or more commonly Christ) is mentioned only in reference to Christian beliefs or apparent history. But no source, not even Tacitus, stabilishes clearly that Jesus actually existed at all.

Most shocking is the lack of references among Jewish texts, where Jesus could well have been mentioned as part of the history of Israel, would he have got the slightest importance.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 16:56

Originally posted by Maju

All them make references to Christians not directly to Jesus. Jesus (or more commonly Christ) is mentioned only in reference to Christian beliefs or apparent history. But no source, not even Tacitus, stabilishes clearly that Jesus actually existed at all.

Most shocking is the lack of references among Jewish texts, where Jesus could well have been mentioned as part of the history of Israel, would he have got the slightest importance.

I'm sorry, but that's simply untrue. Josephus specifically references Christ, as does Tacitus, Tranquillas, Pliny the Younger, Clement and Justin Martyr.
The Bible is among the most authenticated and verifiable texts of Antiquity.

Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 10:10

Originally posted by aknc

jesus(isa)has been proven to exist,there are writings that prove that he,his wife and kids,and his FATHER existed

What writings are these, could yu post a link?

i don't know if anyone has previously posted an answer to this but the book in question may have been The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail first published in 1982. the authors argued that Jesus may have married Mary Magdalene; had kids; emigrated to france; became the Morovingian dynasty and protected by a secret society called the Priory of Sion.

Scorpian
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 19:04
Let faith be your guide, and you will not need proof that Jesus exsisted. I have learned that my body and soul are the temple of Christ, and this has definitly helped me in the good times and bad in my life
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 04:55
Originally posted by Scorpian

Originally posted by aknc

jesus(isa)has been proven to exist,there are writings that prove that he,his wife and kids,and his FATHER existed

What writings are these, could yu post a link?

i don't know if anyone has previously posted an answer to this but the book in question may have been The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail first published in 1982. the authors argued that Jesus may have married Mary Magdalene; had kids; emigrated to france; became the Morovingian dynasty and protected by a secret society called the Priory of Sion.

Have either of you ever heard of the Gnostic Gospels ? They were a set of Gospels found in the Egyptian Desert a few hundred years ago. They too talk about Jesus's life but as a mortal man and the suggest a close relationship with Mary Magdalene

" And the companion of the saviour was Mary Magdalene"

In acnient times companion was often used to mean spouse

" And the disciples asked Jesus " master why do you lover her more then us?" "

It has been suggested that they had a baby together so that there is a holy bloodline.

The link to Merovingians and The Priory of Sion has been proven false. Even one of its members Gerard De Sed wrote a book denouncing it! It was scheme designed by the Priory's TV spokesperson Pierre Plantard to give creedence to his belief that he was decsended from the Merovingians. 

But there other groups associated with the Grail like the Cathars and the Templars which people are willing to except and other places like Rosslyn Chapel on Scotland where she is thought to be buried.

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 05:10
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

Have either of you ever heard of the Gnostic Gospels ?

Why would anyone give the Gnostic gospels any credence at all as historical sources? (Other than as indications of the variety of unorthodox beliefs that flourished within 'Christianity' at the time.)

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by Guests

Originally posted by Maju

I'm sorry, but that's simply untrue. Josephus specifically references Christ,

Nope. He refers to one Jesus brother of John. Jesus and Christ are different concepts entirely.

as does Tacitus, Tranquillas, Pliny the Younger, Clement and Justin Martyr.

Only in the sense that they confirm the Christian cultists believed in him,  not that their belief was true.

No-one I think disputes that Christians believe Jesus existed and was Christ. That they believe he did and was is not evidence their belief was justified.

The Bible is among the most authenticated and verifiable texts of Antiquity.

Some parts of it are pretty good (Maccabees for instance). But the Bible is not homogeneous: it ranges from wildly absurd myths through poetry that needs no facts to give it value (Song of Solomon) to morality tales like Job and Esther and collections of bits of advice that aren't even connected with God (Proverbs) to passages that are indeed fairly reliabe history (for instance the existence of and the wars between Israel and Judaea).

But almost none of it is contemporary, merely a collection of tales remembered through oral tradition, like Homer, and while the exile to Babylon, for instance, is historical, it is nowhere near as well-founded as the contemporary records that many cultures have left behind.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 08:05

Likely Image of Jesus
Likely Image of Jesus

Early Image of Jesus Found
By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News
small text
large text

Dec. 23, 2005 A rare 6th-century seal that bears the likely image of Jesus on one side and a cross symbol signifying the name "Christ" on the back recently was excavated in Tiberias, Israel, according to archaeologists who continue to work at the site.

Since seals with this imagery do not appear before the middle of the 6th century, the object is one of the first to show such early Christian symbolism.

"It is around this time that various images that later became popular in Christianity began to be depicted, such as Maria Theotocus the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus which appears on both seals and coins throughout the empire," said dig leader Yizhar Hirschfeld, a professor of archaeology at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

While Hirschfeld does not know precisely what influenced early artists' notion of what biblical figures looked like, he said, "It is reasonable to assume that artists who originally depicted Jesus had some kind of 'historical memory' of his character."

He told Discovery News that the lead seal had the shape and size of a large coin with a diameter of approximately .

A small cross appears over the depicted individual's right shoulder, and a halo is over his head. The "Christ" symbol on the back of the seal consists of a cross with arms of equal length. The vertical portion of the cross forms a "P" sign, which signifies the monogram for Chi Ro in Greek, meaning "Christ."

"The seal could have been used on various objects, such as sealing documents belonging to church officials, or for marking donations or property of the Byzantine bureaucracy," said Hirschfeld. "Since the seal was used by the imperial bureaucracy of the Byzantine Empire, it was probably owned by a high- ranking clergyman."

The New Testament mentions the city of Tiberias, on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee, often. The city's therapeutic hot springs were renowned throughout the ancient world.

Already a draw for pilgrims, Tiberias attracted even more visitors after an impressive Christian church was erected in the sixth century on top of Mount Bernice overlooking the city.

Hirschfeld explained, "The church was built within the confines of the Justinian wall, which surrounded the city, but was visible to onlookers from any point around the Sea of Galilee, symbolizing the triumph of the Christian faith within the region where Jesus first walked and preached."

The archaeologists also have found 70 coins bearing Jesus' image that date to the 10th and 11th centuries. The coins show Jesus on one side and have an inscription that translates to "Jesus Christ, King of Kings" on the back.

Oil lamps, local and imported pottery, and a marble floor where Salome might have danced before the Galilee ruler Herod also have been found.

According to Christian mythology, Salome seduced Herod with her dance. She then requested the head of the John the Baptist on a plate. Herod is said to have relented and to have ordered the prophet killed.

Arthur G. Holder, dean and vice president for academic affairs and a professor of Christian spirituality at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, told Discovery News that the Tiberias seal represents one of two known types of images of Christ that first began to emerge in the 4th century.

"One type, especially prevalent in Rome and the western parts of the Roman Empire, shows Christ as a beardless youth, similar to conventional Roman depictions of male gods and heroes; the Hinton St. Mary image (at a Roman villa in Dorset, England) is of this type," he said.

Holder added, "The other type shows Christ as a bearded and more mature figure, apparently modeled on the ideal of the Greek philosopher. The Commodilla catacomb image (in Rome) and the image on the sixth century seal found at Tiberias are of this second type."

He explained that the bearded image became dominant in both the Byzantine and medieval western artistic traditions, which still influence today's depictions of Christ.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20051219/jesus_his.html

Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 10:28
Originally posted by docyabut

Likely Image of Jesus
Likely Image of Jesus

Early Image of Jesus Found
By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News
small text
large text

All i can see is Steven Spielbergs ET 

i even squinted my eyes but still ET.

Scorpian
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by gcle2003

[QUOTE=QueenCleopatra]

Why would anyone give the Gnostic gospels any credence at all as historical sources? (Other than as indications of the variety of unorthodox beliefs that flourished within 'Christianity' at the time.)

[/QUOTE/]

I could ask the same about the Bible. We can no more say the bible is accurate than the Gospels can we?

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 23:08

I could ask the same about the Bible. We can no more say the bible is accurate than the Gospels can we?

Well actually yes, if the "ancientness" of a text is to be considered a validation of its authenticity. Most of the Gnostic texts that have been "re-discovered" were written after the canonical Gospels--and thus the Church has to deal with old heresies once again, and this time in an environment fraught with relativism *sigh* . Anyway, if you are a Christian, what you need to know is that the Church canon developed as it did as an expression of orthodox (little "o") Christianity. If you are not a Christian, frankly you can believe in whatever non-canonical texts you want.

Allow me to offer an example. Some people used to believe that the Sun revolved around the Earth. Others believed that the Earth revolved around the Sun. The latter was true then, and is true now--unless you want to get truly nominalistic about it . That doesn't mean that the former opinion didn't/doesn't exist, only that it is wrong.

If you accept the premises and tenets of the Christian faith, you can cast the development of the Canon in the same light. If you do not, you won't be able to understand it in the same sense, and I will refuse to acknowledge your heliocentric solar system (a refusal that still won't render it false ).

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 06:34

[QUOTE=QueenCleopatra]

[QUOTE]

You're using 'Bible' in an odd way. Much of the Bible does have independent historical or archaeological verification.

You are probably correct to say that the canonical Gospels are no more verifiable than the Gnostic one, and therefore there is no objective reason to believe either.

Yet, for instance, I would consider much of Acts (after it goes first-person) to probably be a rather reliable historical account.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>