Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of the Afghans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of the Afghans
    Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 14:27

Origins of the Afghans

Today Afghanistan is a nation of many different ethnic groups (Pashtuns, Uzbeks, Tajiks, Hazaras, Turkmen, etc), and all their citizens referred today as Afghans.   The country was carved out of the imperial thrust of two gat super powers, Czarist/Bolshevik Russia to the North, and British India to the south and east.

Historically, the term has been applied to the ethnic group known today as the Pashtuns (also known as Pakhtuns, Pathans).  The word Pashtun and the word Afghan are used interchangeably throughout history.

The Origin of the Word Afghan

H.W. Bellew's Mountaineers Theory:

The name Albania, it seems clear was given to the country by the Romans.  Albania means "mountainous country", and its inhabitants were called Albani, "mountaineers" ...the Latin Alban is apparently the source of the Armenian Alwan, which is their name for these Albani.  The Armenian Alwan, Alvan or Alban, though ordinarily pronounced indifferently, is written in the Amrenian character with letters which, being transliterated, read as Aghvan or Aghwan; and this word, pronounced Alvan, etc. in Armenia, in the colloquial dialect of their eastern neighbors is changed to Aoghan, Avghan, and Afghan.

Horsemen Theory:

The Sanskrit word Ashva-kan, which means horsemen (Ashva is similar to Aspa, which both mean horse in Iranian tongues).  The word Ashvakayan was used by the Hindu Historian Panini in his book Ashtadyai (Ustadyai in Persian form) back around the 5th century BC.  It has also appeared in other records in different forms:

Sanskrit - Ashva-ka
Panini - Ashvakayan
Ancient Temple inscription - Avakan
Brahta - Samhita - Avagan
Ferdousi's Shahnama - Avagan
King Shapur III records - Abgan/Apkan
Sassanian Records - Abgan
Hiuen Tsang - Apokien

The Ashvakan were known as horsemen, and were described as living presently exactly where Afghans are found today, and were known for their horse-breeding, nomadic, and also trading culture.  This nomadic/horsemen culture was also mentioned by the other appelation of the Afghans, the Pakhtuns.  The word Avagan is similar to the way Afghans pronounce this word.  Pakhtuns/Afghans call themselves "Awghans/Avghans" and not Afghans. 

Pakhtun-Afghan Relationship

As I have said before, Pashtun and Afghan are used interchangeably.  This nomadic/horsemen culture was also witnessed by Herodotus in the country he knew as Paktyke.   The country of Paktykae (in Greek, "Y" is pronounced with "U" and hence we get Paktuka) was mentioned by Herodotus.  Afghans today mention the border regions around Afghanistan and today's Pakistan as Pukhtunkhwa

Herodotus mentioned their country in the vicinity of Gandhara, which is not today's Kandahar, but the Kabul-Jalalabad-Peshawar Valley area.

Herodotus says in Book 3:102:

"...these (Paktuans) live to the north and in the direction of the north wind as compared with the remaining Indians, and their way of life is almost the same as that of the Baktrians (Paktra/Bactria)...they are the most warlike..."

He also earlier states that they made a portion of the Persian army:

Book 3:93 - "From Paktuike and the Armenians...the sum drawn was 400 talents.  This was the 13th satrapy."

In other quotes, he mentions other nomadic tribesmen with intriguing names that are very similar to Afghan tribes today.  One of them mentioned are the Aspasi.  Again, the word "Aspa" is used here.  Modern scholars link this tribe to the Yosufzai.  It is common among Afghans to call this tribe "Esepsi" and not Arabic/Persianized Yosufzai. 

Muslim and other Classical Sources:

Al Biruni's Tarikh al Hind (referring to the period around 1000 AD) mentions 'rebellious' Afghans as 'Hindus', but he himself never trekked into the tribal lands, but only passed by them.  The first Muslim references to Afghans are to be found in the Hudud al Alam of 982AD (372 H).  That speaks of a village in Gardez as being inhabited by Afghans.  It also speaks of a King in "Ninhar" which is obviously Ningrahar (Eastern Afghan province),  who shows a public display of conversion to Islam, even though he has over 30 wives which were described as "Muslim, Afghan, and Hindu" Wives.  The distinction between Muslim, Hindu, and Afghan is very intriguing.  Because this shows that that they were not considered Muslim, nor Hindu, but rather something else.  Afghans today are very superstitous and believe in spirits, demons, and witches as they had before the emergence of Islam.

Al-Utbi, the Ghaznavid chronicler says that recruitment for his army was answered by Afghans and the 'Khalaj' (Khalji/Ghalji).  According to him, he enlisted "thousands."  With these armies he twice defeated the Hindushahi King Jaipal in Laghman and Ningrahar, and drove him out of the upper Kabul valley, capturing immense treasures and nearly 200 elephants.  His impact into India was largely in part due to levies raised from Afghan tribes, whose homes were so close to Ghazni, and his enlistment of thousands of Afghans and Ghalji was also partly because of his own memory that in his time so many of his own tribal followers were motivated to embrace Islam.  Another reason for the conversion might also be the proximity of Ghazni to the Afghan frontier. Al Utbi further sites that Afghans and Ghalji made a part of Mahmuds army and was sent on his expedition to Balkh.  

The Afghans also created quite a few dynasties in India, including the Khilji, Sori, Lodhi dynasties.

Who Are the Afghans?

There are many theories as to the origins of the Afghans.  One of them traces them to Semitic origins, while others trace them to Aryans.  The real truth behind their origins is not that cut and clear.  The region known as Afghanistan has been invaded by countless hordes of Central Asian nomads, each of them leaving their impact in the region, and on its peoples.  I will delve a little into their origins as traced by classical and modern scholars.

Jewish/Semitic Origins Theory

This classical theory is based on Niamatulla's Makhzan-i-Afghani and Hamdulla Mustaufi's Tarikh-i-Guzida: one of Prophet Ibrahim's descendents, Talut (or Saul) had two sons, one of whom was named Irmiya or Jeremia. Irmiya had a son named Afghan, who is supposed to have given the name to the Afghan people. Tareekh-e-Sher Shahi states that Bakht Nasr who invaded Jerusalem and destroyed it, expelled Jewish tribes, including sons of Afghan, from their homeland. During the days of the Babylonian captivity when the Jews were scattered, one of the tribes settled in the Hari Rud area of modern (south) Afghanistan. Pathan legend states that they accepted Islam during the time of the Prophet when a group of their kinsmen (Jews) living in Arabia sent word to them that the true Prophet of God as prophesied in their scriptures had appeared in Mecca. The Afghans, the story goes, sent a delegation to Arabia headed by one Imraul Qais who met the Prophet, embraced Islam, came back and converted the entire tribe to the new religion. The Prophet was so pleased with Qais that he gave him the name of Abdur Rashid, called him Malik (king) and Pehtan (keel or rudder of a ship) for showing his people the path of Islam.

This theory was propagated by Jewish scholars, but most modern scholars reject this was created by Afghans to explain their forgotten pagan past.  The only tribe of Afghans that have some similarity to Jews are the Apridi tribes of the Khyber region.  Apridi has a name that is very similar to the "Aparutae"  Aparu, being the regional name for Hebrews in ancient times.  This tribe was mentioned by Herodotus as well.  If there were any lost Israelite tribes in Afghanistan, they would soon be swept under the wind by massive migrations by Central Asian nomads from the steppes, most prominent of all the Sakae.

Pakhtuns/Afghan Language and their Relationship with the Saka

My understanding is that Afghans are descendants of not only Scythians (most likely Amurgian Scythes from Ferghana Valley) who invaded the region in their prominent years, but actually descendants of Sakae nomads who entered the region BEFORE the Aryans arrived on the scene.  The Scythians were the original settlers of Paktra/Bactria.  This was concluded by French and Russian archaeologists in the early 20th century after they found Scythian relics buried in Bactria that were dated older than the Persian.  Its also been cited by the Iran Chamber Society:

"The original population of Bactria were largely Scythian. Apparently the Aryans who came over and took control, formed a military aristocracy over a technologically less developed people - as was the case with early Greeks, Romans and Gauls."

This also explains their language as well.  Pashto is considered and eastern Iranian languags, most eastern Iranian languages are spoken in the Hindu Kush/Pamir mountain ranges.  This range was occupied by Scythians who migrated south from Ferghana.  One characteristic of Eastern Iranian languages is their replacing of the letter "D" with the letter "L."

Here are some simple examples:

Farsi - Padar (Father)
Pashto - Pilar

Farsi - Didan (To see)
Pashto - Lidal

Farsi - Diwaneh (Crazy)
Pashto - Liwaneh

The Scythian rulers of Gandhara are known from their coins (numismatic evidence) as having the exact same habit.

In ancient Kharoshti inscriptions:

"Spalagadama" (spada=army, ga diminutive, dama=leader, cf. Latin dominus);
"Spala Hura" (spada=army, ahura=spirit, god, cf. Ahuramazda);
"Chastana" (cf. Pashto chashtan, Pakhtu tsakhtan=master, husband).

Being an Eastern Iranian langauge, Pashto has similarities with ancient Bactrian language, as well as other easter Iranian languages.  It is in my belief that Afghans are descendants of Ancient Scythians, who have settled and been superimposed by other Scythian tribes, as well as the Hephtalites/White Huns (who make up the tribal confederacy of the Ghaljay Afghans).  After the Arab, Turk, and Mongol invasions of Afghans in the last millenia, today many Afghans are a mix of many different peoples that perfectly reflect their lands, being at the crossroads of many great civilizations. 

Finally, if one is not satisfied as to whether the Afghans are descendants of the Saka/Scythians, one only has to ask an Afghan what does "Saka" mean in Pashto, and they will tell you, a blood brother.

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 15:13
Very interesting read, thank you.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 15:31

No problem.  I have more information on the Hephtalites as well, and their relationship with the Afghan tribe of Ghaljay.  Check this section soon.

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 21:35
There is no Afghan it is all Iran..... yeah baby yeah
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 17:03

Originally posted by Rakhsh

Your speaking to one right now. 

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 17:43

Originally posted by Rakhsh

lol? I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 18:51
I mean that Afghanistan is a construct, they are the same as Iranians, it did not exist till 100 or so years ago. I have no problems with Afghani's I have met heaps who speak afrsi or who say they are Persians or Iranians, but by their accent I can tell their Afghani's.... Other Iranians make fun of them and point it out and are even racist, the way I see it we are brothers and the same, So I always defend them. But maybe these are the few who feel they are Iranians dunno maybe your an Afghani and not Iranian then.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 18:54
I agree on the prejudice and how disgraceful and wrong it is, but I am not sure about what you're saying about Afghan, I think Afghanan explained a while ago that it is word derived from Pakhton. (?)
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 19:17

either way we are still all brothers from one family, just different mothers and fathers

to Quote a movie (forgot the name) "Hay my brother from a different mother!"

PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 20:51
Yeah I think the division between Afghan and Iranian, between us makes us weaker. Just imagine if we were one nation, as we were in the beginning of history.
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 21:02

Its just a little misunderstanding I guess. 

BTW, I have plenty of Iranian friends (2 Muslim ones, and 3 Bahai ones).  We all get along pretty great.  I love to speak Farsi with them and learn the dialectical differences, and different slangs.

The real difference between Farsi and Afghan Farsi (Dari) is just the way we say our words.  For example, listen to this Afghan Song and I'll let you find the differences:

http://media.putfile.com/Ehsan-Aman---Khoda-Haffez

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
oslonor View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oslonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 02:38
Originally posted by Afghanan

Its just a little misunderstanding I guess. 

BTW, I have plenty of Iranian friends (2 Muslim ones, and 3 Bahai ones).  We all get along pretty great.  I love to speak Farsi with them and learn the dialectical differences, and different slangs.

The real difference between Farsi and Afghan Farsi (Dari) is just the way we say our words.  For example, listen to this Afghan Song and I'll let you find the differences:

http://media.putfile.com/Ehsan-Aman---Khoda-Haffez

you are welcome to post on Afghani section in our Aryan Forum

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 01:12

Yeah, it sucks, all these "borders were drawn up by colonial powers or by civil wars in the modern era. I mean Iran, some areas of Tajikistan, Most Afghanis, and Kurds should really be one Aryan nation. The Arabs have their pan-Arab, pan-Islamic movement, the turks have their pan-Turks movement and so on. Iranians have become so distanced from eachother due to alien customs and alien religions.

or join our forums
FORUM
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 08:44
I think dari was in use in Eastern Iran too, Ferdowsi wrote the Shahnameh originally in Dari (correct me if I am wrong). 
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:16
I think Ferdowsi drew from both Dari and Farsi. The reason was he was looking for Iranian words, when one did not have an Iranian (becuz it had been replaced by arabic) he looked to the other language to substitute in a word. He supposedly wrote the Shahnameh with almost no Arabic.
or join our forums
FORUM
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 22:56
First off, Dari, Farsi, and Tajiki are the same language. Dari and Farsi are synonmous and "Tajiki" is a Soviet invention. They use "Dari," exclusively, in Afghanistan for political reasons. For the most part, the ruling Pashtun ethnic group are very anti-Persian, and see any promotion of the Persian language or ethnicity as being traitorous.
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:07
ohh why is that?
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:13
Farsi???? Do u like Arabic name of ur language???
please use true one " PARSI "
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:25
Nice post Afghanan.One thing isn't clear to me though.U urself say that today's Afghanistan is composed of many ethnicities.R u interested in knowing our views on the origin of Afghanistan or of the Pashtoons.
Jai Badri Vishal
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 09:48

Originally posted by DFront21

First off, Dari, Farsi, and Tajiki are the same language. Dari and Farsi are synonmous and "Tajiki" is a Soviet invention. They use "Dari," exclusively, in Afghanistan for political reasons. For the most part, the ruling Pashtun ethnic group are very anti-Persian, and see any promotion of the Persian language or ethnicity as being traitorous.

Dari, Farsi, and Tajiki are not EXACTLY the same language.  I have heard all three spoken.  There is a distinct dialectical difference, but the way it is written is EXACTLY the same (if all 3 are written in Perso-Arabic script).  Furthermore, Tajiki also refers to languages that are not Farsi, ie. the Eastern Iranian languages of Shugni, Ishkeshmi, Sangleci, Munji, etc.  These languages are also called "Pamiri" and the people are sometimes referred to as "Mountain Tajik/Kohistani Tajik."

I also disagree that the ruling Pashtun ethnic group, throughout history, has ever been against Persian.  From the country's founder - Ahmad Shah Abdali (who wrote Persian poetry and Pashto poetry), to the latest leader Karzai, are very fluent in Persian.  Ahmad Shah Abdali sent his sons to be taught by Persians, and his son changed the capital from Kandahar (predominantly Pashto speaking to Kabul which is predominantly Farsi speaking). 

Pashto was made an official language of the Afghan state in the 20th century.

The only leader of anti-Persian repute was Mullah Omar and the Taliban who sided in favor of Pashto to be the language of his army and government officers and who switched the capital back temporarily to Kandahar.

The problem in Afghanistan between Farsi and Pashto stems from Afghan government's lack of standard curriculum in different provinces.  Farsi and Pashto are BOTH official languages of the state.  The problem lies that each province does not have proper or adequate teachers to teach either.

For instance, in Kandahar, Pashto is the medium for teaching and Farsi is also taught, but not with the same emphasis as Pashto.  When a Kandahari goes to University in Kabul, his understanding of Farsi is lacking and he would then complain, but with no resolution.

In Badakhshan or Kabul for instance, Farsi is the medium for teaching, but the students do get some remedial instruction in Pashto that they never apply and complain as to why they even have to learn it.  There is also a lack of Pashto teachers in Afghanistan.

All major cities in Afghanistan, the universal language is Farsi, although today the government is more concerned with the intrusion of English into both Farsi and Pashto.  Karzais gov't is going to fine businesses who do not change their signs and slogans back to Farsi and Pashto.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>