Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Countries contributions to European civilisation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countries contributions to European civilisation
    Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 08:48

ill_teknique,

I appreciate the effort you put into the above, especially the book citations.  I just have one question: why are all the sources you use all from the mid-20th Century?  The youngest source you cite is 1956.  Surely there are other, younger, sources and ideas?

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 09:09
a couple are from the 1900s and 1930s stanley poole is from the 19th ct - early 20th and other than that there wasnt much research made before that into the impact of the islamic world on the west
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 11:29

Originally posted by ill_teknique

a couple are from the 1900s and 1930s stanley poole is from the 19th ct - early 20th and other than that there wasnt much research made before that into the impact of the islamic world on the west

Ah...how about after?

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 21:34
thats all i got online i have some sources on paper that ive used in research for thesis papers but i gotta find those first
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 16:31

The Arabs in Spain were the main source of knowledge that pulled out Europe from the dark ages and triggered the "Renaissance".

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 00:00

chinese were, printing press gunpowder,agricultural techniques,shipmaking were all vital to europes emergence in renasiance

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 04:46
From the first post I would edit some things:
1. I don't see what France and Germany have more than England and Russia. So all are on 2nd. 1st is only with Greece (ancient one and Byzantium) and Italy (as Rome).
2. Move Bulgaria to 3rd (although it might also be for 2nd), as it was the first Slavic empire, the first great seat of Slavic spirituality and writing, which greatly influenced Serbia and Russia etc.
3. Move also Turkey (Ottoman Empire) and Poland to 3rd, although Turkey isn't so much of our modern ideas for "European culture".
4. Macedonia to 7th - it only exists since less than two decades.
For the others I can't really speak...
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 05:25
May I remind you that  Italy and Rome are nonidentical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910