Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedan Arab.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: an Arab.
    Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 17:53

Arabs are one of the most welcoming peoples today. They are always glad to see visitors and welcome them with a ten greetings. They give them plenty of food and offer them many times more then a man can eat. They like to discuss politics with everyone, including westerners. They often ask of your opinion on the matter in Israel/Palestine and mostly expect you to agree with them although it can't be thought like they hate you in the meaning of the word when you take Israels side. They just might ignore you and loose the respect for you and walk away. They adore when you speak Arab and may become your friends and grow to respect you in minutes. Once a western woman talked to an Arab shopkeeper in Arab for a half an hour and when the woman started to leave, the shopkeeper gave her a free gift, a bronze statuette of an elephant, for the respect to his language. They believe their language of being the most beautiful in the world and feel that other people should learn it aswell. Arabs never mention a name of a sickness rather they call it differently: When an Egyptian farmer got a heart attack on the field and was took to the land keepers house, told him he got a heart attack, and their boss called the ambulance and said that one of his workers is "tired" and immideate help is needed. They feel there is power in a word and so choose what they say very carefully. A newspaper is never used to wrap things in because the text might consist the word "God". 

I just wanted to bring out some few good perks an Arab holds out of his many many other good ones. I kinda felt that Arabs were thought of as some sort of barbaric mountain people with an AK-47 in a hideaway. That is hardly the case in modern Arab lands today. Please bring out anything good or whatever you feel about Arabs this day.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 18:35

Arabs are a very welcoming people today, and they do love to discuss politics, which is important because its harder for their governments to mess with their heads . What you say is true. I know a considerable amount about Arabs, seeing as my parents are from Lebanon. They always tell me that most Arabs are just as friendly and hospitable as anyone else can be. I just came back from a cruise today and i met a couple of Arabs from Egypt, one was an older woman and one was a guy in his mid-20's. They were both very friendly and open just like most of the people i met on the ship. Ya, the Arab stereotype that a lot of westerners have is unfortunate.

But, i dont know about their language being the most beautiful. I know that gramatically and linguistically its one of the hardest and complicated languages in the world, but the way the language sounds when its spoken is not that great in my opinion. Ive heard it spoken a million times, both my parents and nearly all my relatives speak fluent Arabic, and even they say its a poor language when it comes to the way it sounds, but extremely rich in every other aspect. So actually you still have a point.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:49

I kinda felt that Arabs were thought of as some sort of barbaric mountain people with an AK-47 in a hideaway.

Incorrect we americans are indoctrinated to believe they are a barbaric desert people. That is except for those most noble and humanitarian peoples, the Saudis.

Just kidding, actually I have only had experiences with arabs from the internet and from what I've seen they are a pretty nice bunch of people. Although the language doesn't appeal to me at all, the calligraphy of the written language is very pretty.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:12
Some would call me an arab, and yet I despise the language.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 06:18
Well, i think they are one of the peoples of the world who are most proud about their language. They, i think see the simplicity of other languages and therefore feel theirs is a superior one. The pride thing is also affected by the Quran as it is the most beautifully written book in the world of an Arab. They haven't taken that many loan words aswell and that makes them even more proud. Arab is the language of dispute and argument aswell and of that they are proud also.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 13:36
Actually, Arabic had many Persian and Turkish words, but in the 1950s, Arabic linguists gathered at Cairo and got rid of most of them, even though the Algerians still use many Turkish stuff today.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 13:41

Originally posted by ihsan

Actually, Arabic had many Persian and Turkish words, but in the 1950s, Arabic linguists gathered at Cairo and got rid of most of them, even though the Algerians still use many Turkish stuff today.

Hah! Try and get that admission out of an Arab.

Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 16:05

Arabic, to me, is the most disgusting language I've ever heard, second only to Hebrew. The way these two Semite langauges are, it just hearts my head to hear people speaking in those tongues.

No offense meant of course, just how it sounds to me.

Edited by Dari

Dari is a pimp master
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 19:23

LOL that was offensive...  (I am not Arab)

I like Persian better by the way. I definately don't like Hebrew, and Arabic is rather too sharp for my taste. Dosn't Arabic come from the Armaich langauge of the Assyrians?

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2004 at 05:18

No, it's a separate language inside the Semitic Language Family.

But their script drives from Aramaic.

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 14:12
Arabic, german , all those evil sounding languadges, I think are really cool.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 00:31

I think you are evil-sounding.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 09:34
I don't feel English of being a pleasant language to hear either. Its pronounciation is just so freaky, although i speak fluid English. I never speak it as an American would, because then i would shoot myself and whenever i hear an Estonian speaking American i and my brother giggle to eachother and cover our ears. I would say Arab is much nicer to the ear than English.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 19:48
I speak something like 25% British English and 75% American with a Canadian slant to it.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 22:50

If you do that in Turkey, people would call you infidel. We can not even change the language of worshipping. Five times we listen arabic announces for namaz. LOL. I am not against islam but I think worshipping should be Turkish instead of arabic like education should be Turkish instead of English. arabs I think disgust Turks and Persians so much. Especially most of them hate Turks because they were the wtrongest member of islamic civilization and Hulagu' s invasion of Baghdad...

Edited by HulaguHan
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 23:44

its the other way around

Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 18:01
Originally posted by HulaguHan

If you do that in Turkey, people would call you infidel. We can not even change the language of worshipping. Five times we listen arabic announces for namaz. LOL. I am not against islam but I think worshipping should be Turkish instead of arabic like education should be Turkish instead of English. arabs I think disgust Turks and Persians so much. Especially most of them hate Turks because they were the wtrongest member of islamic civilization and Hulagu' s invasion of Baghdad...

Anything other than the Arabic version is a mere translation. Keeping the purity of the original message is important so that it does not become like other religions (diluted and distorted). Poetry in its original language always sounds better than the translation anyway.

Also, Farsi to me sounds much much harsher than Arabic. Just my opinion.

As for Hulagu, how can you admire him as a Turk? He used soldiers from conquered countries, to massacre the Muslim population of Baghdad, sparing the Christians only because his mother was one. And you don't think he had the Turks killed too?

I have two good Arab friends, from Palestine and Lebanon. In fact I think they were the only Arabs I've met so far who didn't end the conversation as soon as I told them I'm Turkish.

Edited by Turk
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 06:20
Originally posted by Turk

Originally posted by HulaguHan

Anything other than the Arabic version is a mere translation. Keeping the purity of the original message is important so that it does not become like other religions (diluted and distorted). Poetry in its original language always sounds better than the translation anyway.

Also, Farsi to me sounds much much harsher than Arabic. Just my opinion.

As for Hulagu, how can you admire him as a Turk? He used soldiers from conquered countries, to massacre the Muslim population of Baghdad, sparing the Christians only because his mother was one. And you don't think he had the Turks killed too?

I have two good Arab friends, from Palestine and Lebanon. In fact I think they were the only Arabs I've met so far who didn't end the conversation as soon as I told them I'm Turkish.

Arabs dont hate Turkish or persians

i always thought that the persians hate us because we are Sunnies

and the Turkish hate us because we supported the decline of the ottomans in the middle east ( that was because the last Sultans didnt treat  arabs justfully)

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 06:57
Originally posted by azimuth

Arabs dont hate Turkish or persians

i always thought that the persians hate us because we are Sunnies

and the Turkish hate us because we supported the decline of the ottomans in the middle east ( that was because the last Sultans didnt treat  arabs justfully)

we dont hate arabs.it is an ''illusion'' created by the western decision-makers in order to stop a possible complete co-operation between Persians ,Turks and Arabs.

as for your last point,what was the Hicaz Railway Project do you know?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 07:39

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

as for your last point,what was the Hicaz Railway Project do you know?

i heard of it but i dont know what was it really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>