Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decay of the Ottoman Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decay of the Ottoman Empire
    Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 06:04

Originally posted by Vlad Catrina

I know they didn`t have this power but imagine if they had this power!

Ottomans cannot develope ships to be used in oceans since they did not need it perhaps. They have tried to go to India but their biggest fleet had sunk in Indian Ocean. They could not understand how world was changing and the importance of geographic discoveries.

The biggest impact of the discovery of new world on Ottomans was devaluation of silver based Ottoman currency to due growing flow of silver from America brought by Spanish.

The second one is changing trade routes from traditional spice and silk roads.

These two effects destroyed Ottoman economy.

Ottomans cannot reach the cheap, almost zero cost row materials of newly found countries. They could not use slave labor force.

These were resulted to increased taxes and than rebellions. They have lost the competence in economy.

If they could reach America most probably the indian population would not be decreased that much. They would be respectful towards indians but took political power on them. If they could compete economically with English, French and others they would be very serious rivals for them.

But since they could not do all of these they have stuck to Orthodox Islam more than previously as a response to worsening situations. If a nation starts to live for "life after world" rather that "real world" it means that the end was not too far away. This is so for every civilization on the world. And Ottomans cannot escape from the bitter reality of the world and they have sunk in history. 

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 09:01

Britain, France, Spain, and Portugal were the big colonial powers of the new world simply because of their location, the Ottoman empire was far to the east, theres no way the west would allow Ottoman ships to get to the Americas, without this the Ottoman Empire fell behind the western powers, as everybody else was expanding elsewhere and moving on, the Ottoman empire was left behind and drifted further and further behind.

Hence why its often been said that, the Ottoman empire was an empire living in the past, it didnt advance whilst others were advancing so a decay in an ever changing and advancing world was inevitable.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 03:49

Every empire is born, lives and dies.

This is a rule, IMHO, what we are discussing is not meaningful.  Ottoman Empire is gone because it has to be gone.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 04:15
Originally posted by HulaguHan

Every empire isborn, lives and dies.

This is a rule, IMHO, what we are discussing is not meaningful. Ottoman Empire is gone because it has to be gone.

I cant agree with this. Death does not just come to the footsteps of an empire and say "well your done". A serioes of troubles and bad events occur that bring the empire to that point. Considering that many empires have lasted centuries. The degradation builds up and catches up with the empire. It happened to the Romans, and every other empire.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 18:55

It was our pride..As we were superior to the Europe before 17th century, we later rejected to see the improvements and enlightenment out there and as we didn't have such a driving force like Renaissance due to,maybe Ottoman monarchy or characteristics of Eastern people or most probably due to being multi nationalist empire...

And another one was the effect of Geographical Discoveries and Colonialism. Empire was on the trade routes before,but after new trade routes were established on the sea and Europeans found colonies and get strengthened, empire lost its economical power, partially with the effect of long and crowded sieges and marches against Austria and Iran, and gradually declined till it became the Patient Man. But even the last punch of this "Patient MAN" was able to kick back the Allies in Gallipoli

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2005 at 20:12
Hey guyz this is my first message. This is an interesting topic what if the turks discovered the New World? Well i would say wait couple a months and buy Age of Empires III (the age of discovery). There are 8civilazations including The Ottomans !!!  Its a strange idea: Turks in America, but we shouldnt forget that after conquering Konstantiniyye in 1453, European powers had to seek alternative routes for their trade: this was the beginning of the new discoveries. Ensemble Studios focuses on somethingelse (which is damn right):

" The Ottomans had a powerful navy, an extensive experience with ruling a multi-lingual empire, excellent ships, and trade routes extending east and south making far longer voyages than it would take to go to the New World. It was clearly within their power. "
ES_Sandyman (VIP)

"The Ottomans didn't need to go to the new world. The Ottomans were already fabulously wealthy because they controlled the trade routes to Asia. They had great scientists and engineers, and one of the best navies on the planet. Had they wanted to go to the new world, there is no doubt they would have done so.
In fact, Columbus and Spain reached the Americas attempting to find a Pacific route to Asia to, you guessed it, compete with the Ottomans.
But if you want to land Janissaries in Mexico, ally with the Aztecs and compete with the Spanish, go for it. They are without a doubt the hardest civ to play, but they're fun."
ES_DeathShrimp (VIP)

(my english is very bad srry for that, my dutch and turkish are much better )
Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 18:53
  Empires rise only to fall, its true.  The Ottoman Empire was not modernizing any. Also, Because church and state was combined together it weakened the Empire, Ataturk even said this.  The Ottoman Empire was also hundreds of years old and decaying.  As a Turkish proverb says " When the wolf ages, he becomes the plaything of the dogs", that describes the Ottoman Empire perfect in the 19th and 20th centuries.  I must admit that the Ottomans were very tolerant of their subjects, some people say they were cruel, which is true.  You cannot overlook the Armenian Genocide during World War I, millions of people died.  I hear that the Turkish government does not believe this ever happend.
God Bless You
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 09:57

Originally posted by Ottoman_AKINCI

Hey guyz this is my first message. This is an interesting topic what if the turks discovered the New World? Well i would say wait couple a months and buy Age of Empires III (the age of discovery). There are 8civilazations including The Ottomans !!!  Its a strange idea: Turks in America, but we shouldnt forget that after conquering Konstantiniyye in 1453, European powers had to seek alternative routes for their trade: this was the beginning of the new discoveries. Ensemble Studios focuses on somethingelse (which is damn right):

" The Ottomans had a powerful navy, an extensive experience with ruling a multi-lingual empire, excellent ships, and trade routes extending east and south making far longer voyages than it would take to go to the New World. It was clearly within their power. "
ES_Sandyman (VIP)

"The Ottomans didn't need to go to the new world. The Ottomans were already fabulously wealthy because they controlled the trade routes to Asia. They had great scientists and engineers, and one of the best navies on the planet. Had they wanted to go to the new world, there is no doubt they would have done so.
In fact, Columbus and Spain reached the Americas attempting to find a Pacific route to Asia to, you guessed it, compete with the Ottomans.
But if you want to land Janissaries in Mexico, ally with the Aztecs and compete with the Spanish, go for it. They are without a doubt the hardest civ to play, but they're fun."
ES_DeathShrimp (VIP)

(my english is very bad srry for that, my dutch and turkish are much better )

How are they going to get there? Through Gibraltar? Go south round Africa and you have a problem beating north before you get to the easterlies. That's if you can get down the Indian Ocean and round the Cape in the first place.

I guess you have to take over the Maghreb, and get out via Casablanca or some such place. But Ottoman control of the Maghreb wasn't that secure.

The real breakthrough here was with the Western invention of multi-masted square rig, to which Columbus converted the Nina and the Pinta in the first leg of the voyage. Still the major factor was economic - why waste time and money on a difficult voyage west when there were much more profitable and easier pickings going east?

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 11:43
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Originally posted by HulaguHan

Every empire is born, lives and dies.

This is a rule, IMHO, what we are discussing is not meaningful.  Ottoman Empire is gone because it has to be gone.

I cant agree with this. Death does not just come to the footsteps of an empire and say "well your done". A serioes of troubles and bad events occur that bring the empire to that point. Considering that many empires have lasted centuries. The degradation builds up and catches up with the empire. It happened to the Romans, and every other empire.

Depends which empire you talk about ... some empires die of internal "disease" like Rome, Ottoman, Han Dynasty etc. While others are killed by other aggressive younger soon-to-be empires. Some examples are the Khwarezim Shah Persian empire, the Seljuk and even the Mongol empire. They generally follow the rule that the faster they grow the quicker they also fall.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 00:48

The tolerance of the Ottomans was incredible. I don`t know why people consider them so cruel.

Now lad, I am sory to argue however you see, hehe well it is quite the opposite. Thanks to them the culture of the occupied European nations was reapeatedly burned and destroyed. Such as Monestaries, history information , RELIGION, etc. I don't know how these cultures have pulled it off for so long.

Also the people of those nations suffered genocides after genocides, and even slavery during the long 5 cent. period. I read about one of the occupied nations how it had 2 mill when Britain had the same amount. centuries later Britain has 10 times this while the occupied nation has around the same.

The nations of Eu. were basically taken out of progression.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:33
Are you talking about Armenia? Yeah the population there is about 3 million now. Britains is around 60 mil.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 20:34

not just Armania lad, In Serbia, Bulg. , Greece and up to Croatia-Slovenia I believe....... people were killed probably daly for them beng Christian. And if they loose their religion than culture follows and then identity overall.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 20:56
people were killed probably daly for them beng Christian. And if they loose their religion than culture follows and then identity overall.

That would not explain why even Albania was left a village at the end of the ottoman empire. It was because of the empires stagnation, it effected everybody.
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 00:39

"I cant agree with this. Death does not just come to the footsteps of an empire and say "well your done". A serioes of troubles and bad events occur that bring the empire to that point. Considering that many empires have lasted centuries. The degradation builds up and catches up with the empire. It happened to the Romans, and every other empire."

Very true Iskender Bey ALBO.

"Depends which empire you talk about ... some empires die of internal "disease" like Rome, Ottoman, Han Dynasty etc. While others are killed by other aggressive younger soon-to-be empires. Some examples are the Khwarezim Shah Persian empire, the Seljuk and even the Mongol empire. They generally follow the rule that the faster they grow the quicker they also fall."

Thats true too vulkan02....

Edited by Praetorian
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 00:44
"I cant agree with this. Death does not just come to the footsteps of an empire and say "well your done".

The Il-Khan empire was as vast as the Roman empire. However, it literally collapsed in an instant. Death came to its door and the whole empire collapsed in a few years.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 14:00
Originally posted by Thracian

The tolerance of the Ottomans was incredible. I don`t know why people consider them so cruel.

Now lad, I am sory to argue however you see, hehe well it is quite the opposite. Thanks to them the culture of the occupied European nations was reapeatedly burned and destroyed. Such as Monestaries, history information , RELIGION, etc. I don't know how these cultures have pulled it off for so long.

Also the people of those nations suffered genocides after genocides, and even slavery during the long 5 cent. period. I read about one of the occupied nations how it had 2 mill when Britain had the same amount. centuries later Britain has 10 times this while the occupied nation has around the same.

The nations of Eu. were basically taken out of progression.

Compare your source with others.One high school student could distinguish how fabricated that british pop. example...A book is not a holy thing.Some books are like treasure;some are garbage.

And without doubt noone suffered more than Turks during the decay of the ottoman empire.Because It was the Turks whom were pushed out of the lands they used to live.It was The Turks who always retreated.It was the Turks who lost the battles...It was  TheTurks who didnt have any big power on their backs.

Got the differance?

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 21:58

[/QUOTE]

Compare your source with others.One high school student could distinguish how fabricated that british pop. example...A book is not a holy thing.Some books are like treasure;some are garbage.

[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is that the GREATEST CONSIDERED WRITERS of several of the occupied regions of Europe during those times wrote garbage? That is quite funny really.

Now this is getting very ridiculous. Was what I wrote even read by anyone who has so strongly "countered" my statements. I do believe that I mentioned how the people of -from Greece all the way to Hungary and, I believe Slovenia, were literary experienced SLAVERY, KILLINGS OF PEOPLE IN HORRIBLE WAYS, and of course cultural destruction and quite simply Deprogression of civilation in any possible way as a comparison to the rest of Europe for example. This in the history books of Bulgaria, for instance, is considered to be the darkest, most horrible period of its history. And they are not making it up.

All this countering on what I have said is really as though countering information on the Holocoust of WW2, which I am sure is very offending and well.... inappropriate for a peron of Jewish descent for example. 

And about the - suffering empire well believe me, all it "suffered" was really the acts of liberation of the occupied Eu countries which, by then, have LITERALY went through absolute HELL.

As for the ---destroy national religion and that leads to death of identity overall--- statement of mine, well okay I do believe I went overboard with predicting I guess. However it was still a very negative thing obviously.

Edited by Thracian
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 07:50
Ottomans cruelly punished any uprisings. That's true. However, killing people just because they were Christians didn't take place. Because they were the real tax sources of the Empire. Non-Muslims paid higher taxes than the Muslims... I mean Ottomans dealt with money, rather than religions, culture, etc. For example they hated nomadic Turkish tribes, because they weren't settled so they weren't paying taxes and they were severely punished by Ottomans. On the other hand, tax paying Christians were employed in government, especially in foreign affairs (as translators or diplomats)... Also slavery is a different concept. A slave can be bought and sold by his/her owner or he/she is confined to a part of land to create surplus production for the owner/landlord. So slavery didn't take place (except the castrated men in the harem at the classical times)... But of course you can complain about the harsh treatments and cruelty against the uprisers... 

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 15:27
Originally posted by Thracian

Now this is getting very ridiculous. Was what I wrote even read by anyone who has so strongly "countered" my statements. I do believe that I mentioned how the people of -from Greece all the way to Hungary and, I believe Slovenia, were literary experienced SLAVERY, KILLINGS OF PEOPLE IN HORRIBLE WAYS, and of course cultural destruction and quite simply Deprogression of civilation in any possible way as a comparison to the rest of Europe for example. This in the history books of Bulgaria, for instance, is considered to be the darkest, most horrible period of its history. And they are not making it up.

All this countering on what I have said is really as though countering information on the Holocoust of WW2, which I am sure is very offending and well.... inappropriate for a peron of Jewish descent for example. 

And about the - suffering empire well believe me, all it "suffered" was really the acts of liberation of the occupied Eu countries which, by then, have LITERALY went through absolute HELL.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 16:19

Now this is getting very ridiculous. Was what I wrote even read by anyone who has so strongly "countered" my statements. I do believe that I mentioned how the people of -from Greece all the way to Hungary and, I believe Slovenia, were literary experienced SLAVERY, KILLINGS OF PEOPLE IN HORRIBLE WAYS

You believe? Is Ottoman history a religion to you? Or do they make young brains believe these in your country (noting that Thracians are Turks today)

is considered to be the darkest, most horrible period of its history

Of course it is, non-believer Muslims were occupying the lands of the followers of real God and Christ.

cultural destruction

I wish it was. Then we'd have no communication problems with you today, and you'd join us in the non-English board! Shame on Ottomans, for not totally erasing your culture...

occupied Eu countries which, by then, have LITERALY went through absolute HELL

There was no EU those times, so the occupied lands didnt belong to EU. Well, if those lands became a hell during the Ottoman period, why didnt they become a heaven now? People became to massacre their brothers because of ther religion after the Ottomans there, is this what you call heaven? Then I prefer the united Ottoman hell instead of the Balkan city states of our age...

But I agree on you that Ottomans suffered much from those liberations, they werent necessary at all...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>