Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Assassins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assassins
    Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 13:30
While reading about Richard I's crusade I can across mentions of "The Assassins" Other than bare minimum nothing much was said. Would any of you middle east experts care to elaborate on them. 

Edited by Dawn
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:45

okay the term assasins come from th epopular (but not necessarily true) assersion that the smoked hashish, therefore the hashishan or something.

Lets see I just read a book on them but my mind is drawing a blank right now...

Part of the Ismaili sect of Islam they were founded by Hasan i Sabah and eventually this "dynastic " line came to think of themselves as the successor to the prophet, some of whom meant that Islamic law no longer mattered and let their followers be pretty hedonistic, others tried to make hte movement more mainstream.

They lived in mountain fortresses and assasinated alot of Seljuk dudes, ususally with a lone assasin is disgiuse with a dagger.  Not usually very popular and unfreindly towards most conventional nations eventually the Mongols under Huleugu destroyed their Persian branch, though later Baybars got rid of the ones in Syria.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 22:45
IIRC, they sometimes called themselves the Nazari, not sure where i heard that from though.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 12:19
Weren't they the ones who would have their new recruits drink "poison" and find themselves in a beautiful garden with even more beautiful woman only to wake up and find themselves back in their mountain-fortress the next day. Having been told that their leader had brought them back from the dead, so they wouldn't fear death on a mission?
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 14:44
yes indeedy.  Very fearless and very mystical.  Or should I say Mystikal, yo diggidy.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 14:52

The book I was reading is called " The Devil's Crown: a history of HenryII and his son's" By Richard Barber and all he says is They are a military order similar to the Templars bound to obedience to their master who was Sheikh Sian at the time in question.They held the mountianous region to the northwest of Persia and murdering their political opponants was thier specialty. They where apposed to ordinary moslims and christians and did not regard murder as a crime they hired themseves out to kill people. He also says that they pobably killed Conrad of Montferrat and not nessassarly at Richard's disire.  

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 09:42

It is true that the hashasiyyun were a militant religious order which was tied to the Ismaili sect. They operated out of their mountain fortress stronghold (Alamut) as a political terror group, as explained by others.

I think the legends about them (that they smoke hashish and the paradise fantasies) are made up by their enemies. They were more likely to be a militant order with strict rules- in a way similar to the Templars.  

They disappeared after Alamut fell to the Mongols, IIRC.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 12:24

As I said in HG Alamut was really an unconquerable castle!

The castle is built on a narrow ridge on top of a high rock in the heart of the mountains and dominating an enclosed valley, about 25 kilometres in length. More than 6,000 feet above sea level, the castle lies several hundred feet above the base of the rock, and could only be reached by a narrow, steep and winding path. The approach to the rock was through the narrow gorge of the Alamut river, between perpendicular and sometimes overhanging cliffs. The steep defile at the western entrance to the valley is also defended by two forts constructed on each side of the 350 metres high cliffs. The eastern end of the valley is completely blocked by the Alamkum/Takht-e-Suleyman mountain knot. To the north and south are mountain ranges up to 3,500 metres. Hasan-i- Sabbah deliberately chose the Alamut Valley as his headquarters because of its remoteness and inaccessibility.

Alamut Gorge

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 13:26
Some of my mother's ancestors were Persians who directly served as Hashishin assassian's for Hasan-i- Sabbah.

Dari is a pimp master
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 14:33
Do you know when it was built?
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 15:39

Cwyr, they also called themselves the Holy Slayers of al-Kalim. Or as well the Ismailieh.

Originally posted by Dawn

Do you know when it was built?

Dawn,  Hasan-i Sabbah by some clever command, attainted the great fortress in Qazvin, in northwestern Iran. The fortress was then known as Alamut or meaning, "Eagle's Nest". This was aqquirred sometime in the early 12th century.

Edited by Dari

Dari is a pimp master
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 13:07
Should we move this thread to the Islamic board?
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 13:26
well I put it here Becuase it was a question that came up in relation to Richard I 's crusade but if you think it should be elsewere I don't mind. 
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:51

There was a group of Assasssins that tried to kill Saladin, twice, but never suceeded (Obviously, if he lived until natural death). I know I have that city written down somewhere, but he never took it, and eventually just gave up.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 11:22

Hi there,

I think it was Dari that mentioned that some of his family on his mothers side worked as Assassins. Is that true?

I am looking at making a documentary about the Assassins and the Valley....

Please get in touch at avina_weitowitz@hotmail.com">davina_weitowitz@hotmail.com

Cheers,

davs

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 17:00
They once tried to kill Saladin too, but he struck back by sieging their castle. But suddenly he gave up, likely because they threatened to kill his family according to one theory.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 22:04
What was the political relation between the Assasins and neighbooring states? If they conducted so much terror I find it hard to believe they were not conquered before the Mongols.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 18:36
well, from what I know the Assassins were rich, so they bought those mountain castles that were almost impregnable.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 03:00

I have also read that they were extremely patient when they planned to kill someone.  They could spend years getting their wictims trust and friendship.  That is why they only needed a knife to kill them I guess. 

I also read a story where this person (forgotten who) surrounded by his guards told his visitor - that had just threatend him in some way - that there was no way that he could kill him while he was surrounded by his most trusted guards, who ofcourse never left his side.  Upon which the vistor just told the guards to reveal their true identety... 

I guess the Assasins are truly what you could call the first organized terrorists...Except for one thing.  They only went for the source of the problem they wanted to remove.  They never killed hundreds of innocent people just to make a point.  They were much to clever and brave for that....

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:57
Of course, since the Assassins were only intent on terrorizing the leaders of governments they didn't like, and not the entire population of a nation, it would have been a waste of resources to kill an innocent bystander.

Because they used their abilities skillfully and sparingly, just the threat of them striking was often enough.  You may have heard about the time when the Seljuk sultan Sanjar was about to attack Alamut, until he woke up one morning to find an assassin's dagger in his pillow, just inches from where he had laid his head.  Impaled on the dagger was a note containing a one-word message:  "Negotiate!"  Sanjar thought that was a good idea.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>