Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foucaults Pendulum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foucaults Pendulum
    Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 06:42

Warning: the following thread may contain spoilers.  If you have not read Foucault's Pendulum, please do not proceed further!

Hi, I finally finished Foucault's Pendulum.  I am eager to hear criticism from those in the AE forum who have read the book.   I thought that Eco did a fantastic job writing; the prose was certaintly more refined than that in the Da Vinci Code.  The ideas were profound and, indeed, the book looms large in breadth of religious, philosophical, and historical references.  In general, a superb read.

My complaints: that I am not proficient in Jewish studies or religious studies in general, and that I never studied Latin or French.  I must confess that I never heard of the many religious and cabalistic references the Eco makes in the novel.

I could not stop reading during the first half of the book.  Then, while reading the second half, I became a little crazy, just like the editors (perhaps that is Eco's intented effect on the reader).  I thought that the editors' fantasies were over the top, but of course, that would be Eco's point.  Lia's explanation was, after all, the simplest, and therefore, the most logical.

I liked the conclusion, the image of the double pendulum, and the shifting of tenses from past to present.

Please discuss your own views on the novel.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 12:30

I would describe Foucault's Pendulum as a pleasently sadistic deconstruction of History and consequent hillarious reconstruction based on every imaginable conspiracy theory. It's a supreme job in writing, although at times it might seem heavy reading due to the serious amount of information available, on religious cults, ideological movements, and scientific achievements. I was fortunate enough to read previous essays from Umberto Eco that introduced several studies of movements and events he would fictionaly explore on Foucault's Pendulum (example: Travels in Hyperreality).

I also see it as a way of thrashing, in one hand, all those who blindly follow certain beliefs considered overdated; on the other hand it makes fun of pseudo-intelectuals who tend to search for complicated and complex premisses to explain what could be put alot more simply.

Edited by Frederick Roger
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 16:33
After reading these reviews, I may attempt to read it. I tend to bail out on fiction. I like non-fiction more. But the premise sounds interesting enough to give it a try.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 10:36
I was fortunate enough to read previous essays from Umberto Eco that introduced several studies of movements and events he would fictionaly explore on Foucault's Pendulum

Do you know where i could find these essays?
Doesn't he also do stuff on the philosophy of language or something like that?
Arrrgh!!"
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 16:03

Well, those essays are are widely published and available in Portugal, easy to find in any bookstore.  I don't really know how available they might be where you're at. And yes, he has some stuff on semiology as well.

Post Reply Post Reply