Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ethnic minorities!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ethnic minorities!!!
    Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 04:14
Where does that leave bilingual and tri-lingual people, ie. people who have two languages from day one?
Arrrgh!!"
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 04:36

Yea i believe the language you speak could in some way determine what kind of people you are. The amount of words in some area of your life or the number of dirty words (Americans). The way you pronounce the words, it all just may have an affect to who you are.

Well anyway, i will stick to the belief that if you loose your language to worldwide languages like English or when a minority lives in Russia and looses theirs to Russian, you in some way aren't the tribe what you used to be and is not repairable aswell.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 05:54

In that case you have more than one view of the world or in other words - a more complete view of reality.  And in accordance - the more the better.

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 16:53
Bilingual kids study better, some surveys found out.

Edited by Chono
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 17:12
I almost never studied 
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 08:35
Bilingual kids in general are smarter too, and not just in the field of linguistics, just an observation.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 09:25
I'm not so sure, the school i attended (international school), literaly everyone was at least bi-lingual, and it wasn't exactly a bastian of intelligence.
Though granted, from age 13 onwards, i've never attended a school where mono-glots where the majority, at least not untill Uni, but seeing as Uni Students are drunk half the time, accurate intelligence estimates are impossible.
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 10:30

I meant comparitively speaking.

Edited by Zagros Purya
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:40

Well I have a class where there are unilingual people and the immigrant bilingual kids usually succeed better, even in their languages' class (example: French class).

Poland doesn't have that many minorities, they just have some polish dialect groups liek the Kashubs or the Pomeranians or the Highlanders, stuff liek that. And i believe that the ethnic minorities(Germans, Ukrainiens, Belorussians) also have lots of rights.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 10:51
I think youre all looking at this the wrong way, its not bilingual kids are smarter but more likely to be smarter people are more likely to be bilingual.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 11:00
Bah. I speak 4 languages, giving that my well-mastered German/English overshadow the other two, and make me want to forget French all together.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 11:14
its not bilingual kids are smarter but more likely to be smarter people are more likely to be bilingual.

I disagree, in many multilingual countries/regions (and there are many many many of these around the world), you will find lots of people are bi-lingual simply because of cultural/political circumstances, not because they are exceptionaly smart.

Now, whilst its easy to assume hat smarter people will pick up language faster, again, i can't really agree, some people have a gift for languages (as its called), some people don't, some rocket scienttists my suck at learning new languages, whilst some people who find trigonometry difficult will excell at languages. Its not a clear cut thing.
Arrrgh!!"
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 11:15
And smart people like Cywr are prone to spelling errors when you make them think.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 17:50

Originally posted by SovietJesus

And smart people like Cywr are prone to spelling errors when you make them think.

many are prone to spelling errors not just smart ones like Cywr

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2010 at 18:56
what a wonderful roll of discussion and opinion, that did not receed into "I got chaste?", or I got more than you?

Loved it, did I!

But, bi-lingual students, shoud do better! I feel that students imersed in both Latin and Greek, should well respond better to a open education, than persons like me, who did not learn either and who might well not ever be able to do the same!~

But, when I was in school, Latin was just an easy way to get a "foreign" language requirement!

In those days, my life was most concerned with my golf game, bridge, drinking, and women!

A wasted youth!

But, I can curse in Spanish!

Edited by opuslola - 13-Jun-2010 at 19:04
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123