Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hindenburg Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hindenburg Disaster
    Posted: 03-Apr-2017 at 18:41
I live approx. 40 miles from Lakehurst Naval Air Sta. where the Hindenburg burned. Some family members witnessed it. One of them was a chemical engineer. He always had questions about the actual cause. I recall him saying that Hydrogen needed specific conditions to combust, and he didn't see it possible under the existing conditions.

I just saw a documentary with a NASA scientist who had a piece of the fabric from the hindenburg analyzed. It contained, among other chemicals, aluminum powder and Iron oxide. In other words, it was painted with Rocket Fuel. That would explain why the fire burned ahead of the gas bags.

I've been to Lakehurst many times and spoke with the Base Historian several times, and this has never been mentioned.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply